PDA

View Full Version : Does Ron Paul support Fair Tax?

DeadheadForPaul
07-23-2007, 06:36 PM
I searched the forums and didn't find Dr. Paul's position

I assume that he does not support it given that he has not mentioned it in his campaign so far.

Does he view the Fair Tax as not going far enough? It calls for elimination of the income tax and a number of other taxes correct? Would the national sales be too much and hurt consumption?

FSP-Rebel
07-23-2007, 06:38 PM
Paul doesn't support it because it puts normal people on government welfare checks and doesn't repeal the 16th amend. Plus, before ya know it, we'd have both income and consumption taxes. Plus does nothing to tame spending.

Kuldebar
07-23-2007, 06:39 PM
He isn't "ecstatic" over it, for reasons...

The Fair Tax Fraud
http://www.mises.org/story/1814

Paul is quoted in the story.

Also Youtube:

Ron Paul on Taxes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI5lC4Z_T80

LibertyEagle
07-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Wait a minute.... He said he'd vote for the Fair Tax if it came up, but he thinks it is better to reduce the size of government and get rid of the IRS entirely.

Note: He said this about the fair tax in the C-Span in which he announced his run for President.

Broadlighter
07-23-2007, 06:54 PM
In the Google Interview Ron Paul stated that the Income Tax presumes that the Federal Government owns the citizens.

I don't see him supporting any kind of income tax, whether or not it's called a 'fair tax,' based on that principle. We need to rid ourselves of this notion that we owe taxes on our income because it ties in directly with our notions of individual liberty.

LibertyEagle
07-23-2007, 07:37 PM
I don't see him supporting any kind of income tax, whether or not it's called a 'fair tax,' based on that principle.

You may not "see it", but he said he would here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewghSVp-GIk&mode=related&search=

Kuldebar
07-23-2007, 07:48 PM
Just keep focused on this:

Congressman Ron Paul says: "The real issue is total spending by government, not tax reform."

So, at the end of the day, "Fair Tax" doesn't solve anything.

bobmurph
07-23-2007, 07:58 PM
In the Google Interview Ron Paul stated that the Income Tax presumes that the Federal Government owns the citizens.

I don't see him supporting any kind of income tax, whether or not it's called a 'fair tax,' based on that principle. We need to rid ourselves of this notion that we owe taxes on our income because it ties in directly with our notions of individual liberty.

The fair tax isn't an income tax...its a sales tax.

smtwngrl
07-23-2007, 08:13 PM
Wait a minute.... He said he'd vote for the Fair Tax if it came up, but he thinks it is better to reduce the size of government and get rid of the IRS entirely.

Note: He said this about the fair tax in the C-Span in which he announced his run for President.

That's right. He was asked if he would co-sponsor it. He said he would not. He would vote for it if it came up, because it was a step in the right direction. But the focus needed to be on reducing spending. If you reduce taxes, but not spending, then spending is a tax.