PDA

View Full Version : Who here thinks Fred Thompson made a racist comment

eggnogaddict
01-10-2008, 10:34 PM
"If they took it one step further, I think the commanders should send them to see their 70 (He can't even get the number right) virgins they want to so bad"

I mean it's so unprofessional to say such a thing. Really, he insulted the Muslim religion. We want this man to be President who will have the responsibility to speak to foreign nations, many of whom are Muslim nations?

Misesian
01-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Well that's like McCain and his comment on "trading burkas".

Forget about the racism, we have candidates who PRO-MURDER, they just don't see it that way because the worth of an individiual life to these people is determined by where they were born geographically in the world.

Quick
01-10-2008, 10:41 PM

He also insinuated that if we trade with countries in the Middle East, we are going to be trading with Al Qaeda. I didn't realize everyone in the Middle East was part of Al Qaeda.

Though, let's not go around with pitch forks claiming that other candidates are racist just because of the recent garbage that is out.

This debate was awesome.

srmpass98
01-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Ya, I was saddened when he said that, and he was the only other candidate whom I enjoyed.

Attacking Islam wasn't necessary and I'm sure I'm not the only muslim who was sort of taken aback at his comments (along with McCain's burka comment). Oh well, politics is a dirty business.

deedles
01-10-2008, 10:43 PM
My husband caught that one right away... of course, no one besides us will pay it any mind.

homah
01-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Yep, they both made racist comments tonight. Meanwhile, on MSNBC right now, they are running a smear piece on the things in Paul's newsletter. This stuff will never be discussed.

Naraku
01-10-2008, 10:45 PM
Yeah Thompson was saying they should exercise caution. :rolleyes:

FreedomProsperityPeace
01-10-2008, 10:46 PM
It was anti-Islamic, not racist.

srmpass98
01-10-2008, 10:48 PM

Yup. I understand he was speaking in the context of terrorists, but he also went a tad overboard in trying to win points and in fact implied something more malicious than what he intended.

HazardPerry
01-10-2008, 10:50 PM
I am Muslim, and here in the USA that is basically a 'race' in the eyes of most Americans. These two comments were intensely racist and didn't hurt me (because I think those two people guzzle $h1t) but did insult me. Resorting to this sort of blind off-the-cuff bigotry is not going to help our foreign policy. I can't believe they just came out and said it...the nerve of saying RON is a racist...:mad:

DrNoZone
01-10-2008, 10:51 PM

Bingo. He sure offended all of the non-radical Muslims listening tonight.

srmpass98
01-10-2008, 10:52 PM
It's not only the Muslim religion that has this "70 virgins" thing, it's also the Mormon religion: they say when you go to heaven (a planet called Kolob I believe) if you're a man you will have 70 wives or something like that. I read somewhere recently that the founder of the Mormon religion, Joseph Smith, admired the Muslim religion.

Nah, its in Islam too, but the 72 virgins is more of an allegorical reflection than a literal one.

Catatonic
01-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Well we don't have a history of trading with al qeida but we do have a history of creating and funding them. You can't really get much worse than that.

The Minister
01-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Nah, its in Islam too, but the 72 virgins is more of an allegorical reflection than a literal one.

Wouldn't 72 be a reference to number of years for one degree of procession?

srmpass98
01-10-2008, 10:58 PM
What are you talking about, the virgin thing has been disproven numerouse times, its never mentioned in the Quran, and these people have the nerve to say that if you kill yourself you go to heaven? its the exact opposite you go to hell, Islam teaches diversity, they're the only religion who will base you firstly on what religion you are, than what kind of person you are, so if you arent even Muslim you can still go to heaven, yet the Neocon agenda is to pull islamophobia from Ann Coulture

Actually it explicitly states that one of the rewards in heaven is 72 virgins. I've never taken that too literally, but I believe that is what it says.

LastoftheMohicans
01-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Not all Iranians are Muslims. Those could have been Christians, Jews or Zoroastrians.

Thanehand
01-10-2008, 11:11 PM
What's really sad about both McCain and Thompson's statements is that there's a chance that they'll end up "on air" in the Middle East.

How do you think they'll feel about these comments over there?

CaptBookbag
01-10-2008, 11:16 PM
i wonder if families of 9/11 victims found McCain's 'One way ticket' joke amusing.

srmpass98
01-10-2008, 11:17 PM
What's really sad about both McCain and Thompson's statements is that there's a chance that they'll end up "on air" in the Middle East.

How do you think they'll feel about these comments over there?

Not too well. =(

The00viper
01-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Both Thompson and McCain were highly offensive.

Todd
01-11-2008, 05:40 PM
No.. 70 Virgins is a religious reference, so it was maybe bigoted and irrelevant, but not racist. Muslims are not all Arabs.

doyle
01-11-2008, 05:43 PM
It was totally racist! Joking and laughing about killing Muslims is WRONG.

Todd
01-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Wrong yes...Sorry not racist.

adara7537
01-11-2008, 05:51 PM
I just discovered, though I am sure you guys knew, that McCain said " I hated the gooks. I will hate them as long as I live."

WTF?

Its disturbing that the BS about the newsletters is the topic of conversation, but yet this statement and the ones recently made are not. Especially since there is no mistake that these people said them.

Goldwater Conservative
01-11-2008, 05:55 PM
For what it's worth, it was technically ethnocentrist, not racist. Same goes for what McCain said.

constitutional
01-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Ignorance is bliss....

o rly?

I remember this one other thread....

proximity
01-11-2008, 05:57 PM
The irony is, the only 2 up there that aren't racists are Paul and Giulani. Rudy is only about fear and profits though, which leaves only one decent human being on the stage.

thrillhouse
01-11-2008, 05:58 PM

Forget about the racism, we have candidates who PRO-MURDER, they just don't see it that way because the worth of an individiual life to these people is determined by where they were born geographically in the world.

I think that is even worse, it shows a true racist and someone without any cultural understanding/tolerance.

american empire
01-11-2008, 06:38 PM
personally offended....but what the heck...are people asleep?

srmpass98
01-11-2008, 06:59 PM
prove it, Islam doesnt condone killing ones self.... at all

Not at all. I meant rewards for heaven for leading a pious life.

DAFTEK
01-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Not all Arabs are Muslim! But i think that Thomson's remark might not be as bad as McCain's thou in some peoples eyes because i believe that there is no mention of Virgins in the Quran, We all need to email CNN about this and see if they spin it :D

Noleader
01-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Its only racist when most of the nation thinks it is :/

The issue here is lots of Americans do not like Arab folks thanks to the MSM and their blaming the whole region for 9/11. It was outright racist yet they will never be called on it because the public does not condemn all racism.

Americans with Japanese backgrounds faced the same thing in WWII and it took till Reagan to get the "Sorry."

aerial
01-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Both McCain's and Thompson's comments were racist.

Enzo
01-11-2008, 08:32 PM
The simple fact that any of them can stand up there and crack little jokes about war, foreign policy and national security, is a testament to just how little they care about this country, human life, and the safety of Americans.

Beyond Good & Evil
01-11-2008, 09:41 PM
"You don't count the dead when God's on your side."
-Dylan

Bib3773
01-11-2008, 09:53 PM
I forwarded all these comments through contact links for CNN and Fox news. I also e-mailed them to the Stern show that fortunately was saved. Maybe one of these people will at least prove they are willing ot show it all, otherwise I will send whatever proof i have to the Paul campaign to use against these media moguls. Not stern, but Fox and CNN. Doubt it does a bit of good but everything they have to open is work on them so its bound to wear on them eventually.

SimpleName
01-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Not sure how racist Thompson's comment was, but it was a great way of getting scumbag voters anyway. McCain also did make a horrifying generalization that trading in Arab nations meant trading with Al Queda. It was MUCH worse than Thompson's comment. I love the dying smile on McCain's face when Ron Paul pounds him into the ground after the lame joke. Paul must hate the jokes the dopey candidates throw around at each other.

VaderM5
01-11-2008, 10:46 PM
You guys have to see it from McCains point of view. If you want a 100 year war, you might as well turn it into a 100 year holy war. :rolleyes:

alexa doherty
01-11-2008, 10:49 PM
"If they took it one step further, I think the commanders should send them to see their 70 (He can't even get the number right) virgins they want to so bad"

I mean it's so unprofessional to say such a thing. Really, he insulted the Muslim religion. We want this man to be President who will have the responsibility to speak to foreign nations, many of whom are Muslim nations?

No, the term racism is used so much no that it has become worthless.

VoluntaryMan
01-11-2008, 11:08 PM
The war in Iraq has always been a racist war. The American people at home and our soldiers overseas are encouraged to think in terms of racial steroetypes, stereotypes reinforced with hateful epithets such as "raghead, camel jockey, dessert monkey, dune coon, and sand n!gg3r," and my personal favorite, "islamofascists." Yet, somehow racial epithets and stereotypes are okay when applied to our "enemies" in the middle east. To the establishment that promotes and profits from this war, racism is not only acceptable when when applied to our "enemies" overseas, but it even ceases to be racism. "Kick their @$$ and take their gas!" Yeah, what the hell, they're only 'rabs, anyway, right? Who cares what they think?

BeFranklin
01-12-2008, 12:01 AM

Racism and slander is a way to stir up support for murder.

JDouglasFisher
01-12-2008, 12:15 AM
I don't know about you guys but I know quite a few muslim people, (one family owns a Subway in the town I work in, and man, they make me AWESOME sandwiches)...

I don't have a problem with muslim people, even those who wear burkas.

I am deeply annoyed that it has become apparently fashionable to be a Republican and a Bigot at the same time..

Just another reason to add to the list of why we need to retake our party back NOW, before its too late.

J. Douglas Fisher, Organizer
Ron Paul Revolutionaries of Passaic County #1251