PDA

View Full Version : Credit card company rejects firearms industry

AceNZ
01-10-2008, 08:51 PM
From NSSF (http://www.nssf.org/news/fromBP.cfm?BPseq=704):

Citi Merchant Services and First Data Corp. are refusing to process any credit card transactions between federally licensed firearms retailers, distributors and manufacturers -- a move which will severely limit available inventory of firearms and ammunition to military, law enforcement and law-abiding Americans.

The first company to be affected by this decision appears to be firearms distributor CDNN Sports Inc.

"We were contacted recently by First Data/Citi Merchant Services by a June Rivera-Mantilla stating that we were terminated and funds were being seized for selling firearms in a non-face-to-face transaction," said Charlie Crawford, president of CDNN Sports Inc. "Although perfectly legal, we were also informed that no transactions would be processed in the future, even for non-firearms. I find this very frightening."

To voice your concern to Citi Merchant Services and First Data Corp., please contact June Rivera-Mantilla at 631-683-7734 or her supervisor Robert Tenenbaum at 631-683-6570.

To change to an NSSF-affiliated credit card processing program, contact Payment Alliance International at 1-866-371-2273 (ext. 1131).

freelance
01-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Is this even legal?

markj
01-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Wow. :eek:

Use cash. I am trying to avoid the credit card usage as much as possible. I already use my debit card way too much. Everybody really needs to start doing more cash transactions.

Maz2331
01-11-2008, 12:11 PM
I read the actual letter at http://www.nssf.org/share/images/letter.jpg and the whole issue appears to be a misreading of the law by Citi. They seem to miss the point that such sales are perfectly legal so long as a dealer is involved at both ends of the transaction.

They are implying that they can't monitor things such that they are certain that there is a dealer on the recieving end, and want to avoid being involved.

Or... is that just an excuse to implement an "anti-gun" agenda on their own?

Hardrock
01-13-2008, 02:08 AM
It may be too complicated to follow but.....
(took me hours)

Short version is CitiBank and holdings are rumored to be swirling down the crapper,
due to their extensive involvement surrounding the Leo Wanta scandal.
First Data Corp. scooped up Citi Merchant Services, who I believe either were or are being
swallowed up by KKR. (KKR= bad news)
KKR is being backed by.......

Citigroup, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, HSBC, Lehman Brothers, Goldman Sachs and Merrill Lynch

More info on the "Good 'ole Boy's" and their links to the "gun grabbing" Gov't agenda
can be found here.............

http://www.worldreports.org/news

If the Gov't. can't get it done their way, maybe the moneychangers can give it a shot......

AceNZ
01-13-2008, 02:32 AM
I read the actual letter at http://www.nssf.org/share/images/letter.jpg and the whole issue appears to be a misreading of the law by Citi. They seem to miss the point that such sales are perfectly legal so long as a dealer is involved at both ends of the transaction.

They are implying that they can't monitor things such that they are certain that there is a dealer on the recieving end, and want to avoid being involved.

Or... is that just an excuse to implement an "anti-gun" agenda on their own?

Having a credit card company deny charges based on their opinion of the legalities of what's being purchased seems like a dangerous precedent.

Has the law been changed in some way such that financial intermediaries can be held responsible for this kind of thing? That would definitely imply an anti-gun agenda to me.

tcindie
01-13-2008, 07:50 AM
Is this even legal?

Of course it's legal. Banks are private institutions and just like a restaurant have the right to "refuse service" to anyone.

tcindie
01-13-2008, 07:52 AM
That would definitely imply an anti-gun agenda to me.

Are you suggesting there isn't an anti-gun agenda in this country? Remember that he who controls the money controls the world.. Ultimately, one way or another, the banks run this country, like it or not.

AceNZ
01-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Are you suggesting there isn't an anti-gun agenda in this country? Remember that he who controls the money controls the world.. Ultimately, one way or another, the banks run this country, like it or not.

No, I'm not suggesting that there isn't an anti-gun agenda in the country. I was suggesting that it's probably spreading. I agree that banks run the country -- but until now, as far as I'm aware, they haven't taken anti-gun actions on their own. Right?

tcindie
01-13-2008, 09:26 PM
The money for the lobbiests has to come from somewhere..

Fields
01-26-2008, 01:17 AM
///