PDA

View Full Version : Kucinich Asks NH Sec. of State for Recount.

akijikan
01-10-2008, 07:15 PM
http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080110006236&newsLang=en

Kucinich Asks for New Hampshire Recount in the Interest of Election Integrity

DETROIT--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Democratic Presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich, the most outspoken advocate in the Presidential field and in Congress for election integrity, paper-ballot elections, and campaign finance reform, has sent a letter to the New Hampshire Secretary of State asking for a recount of Tuesday’s election because of “unexplained disparities between hand-counted ballots and machine-counted ballots.”

“I am not making this request in the expectation that a recount will significantly affect the number of votes that were cast on my behalf,” Kucinich stressed in a letter to Secretary of State William M. Gardner. But, “Serious and credible reports, allegations, and rumors have surfaced in the past few days…It is imperative that these questions be addressed in the interest of public confidence in the integrity of the election process and the election machinery – not just in New Hampshire, but in every other state that conducts a primary election.”

He added, “Ever since the 2000 election – and even before – the American people have been losing faith in the belief that their votes were actually counted. This recount isn’t about who won 39% of 36% or even 1%. It’s about establishing whether 100% of the voters had 100% of their votes counted exactly the way they cast them.”

Kucinich, who drew about 1.4% of the New Hampshire Democratic primary vote, wrote, “This is not about my candidacy or any other individual candidacy. It is about the integrity of the election process.” No other Democratic candidate, he noted, has stepped forward to question or pursue the claims being made.

“New Hampshire is in the unique position to address – and, if so determined, rectify – these issues before they escalate into a massive, nationwide suspicion of the process by which Americans elect their President. Based on the controversies surrounding the Presidential elections in 2004 and 2000, New Hampshire is in a prime position to investigate possible irregularities and to issue findings for the benefit of the entire nation,” Kucinich wrote in his letter.

“Without an official recount, the voters of New Hampshire and the rest of the nation will never know whether there are flaws in our electoral system that need to be identified and addressed at this relatively early point in the Presidential nominating process,” said Kucinich, who is campaigning in Michigan this week in advance of next Tuesday’s Presidential primary in that state.

----

Hmm... How convenient for us.

UtahApocalypse
01-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Now that was done with pure class.

Menthol Patch
01-10-2008, 07:22 PM
In this one situation Kucinich was more principled than Ron Paul.

plb
01-10-2008, 07:23 PM
kucinich is the best dem imho

akijikan
01-10-2008, 07:23 PM

Unfortunately that is how it sounds...

exer51
01-10-2008, 07:24 PM

Maybe not... They're friends. They both know Paul has a chance and Kucinich doesn't... Maybe Ron put in a call so he wouldn't get any blowback.

Any wich way this is damn good news because it accomplishes the same as I stated above whether RP had anything to do with it or not.

skinzterpswizfan
01-10-2008, 07:26 PM
This is only for the Dem side but it looks like a candidate on the Republican side is requesting a recount so both sides should be re-done. I'm interested to see the Democrat side because I don't see how Obama could have lost NH.

realitywiz

twdahm
Unfortunately that is how it sounds...

he doesnt have anything to loose like rp does...

Bigfish31379
Kucinich is a great man also, he is usually the other no vote with ron paul. sad we have only 2 people in congress that speak for the people.

PhillyEagles11
01-10-2008, 07:27 PM
In Ron's defense, it would have sounded like sour grapes to ask for a recount - the same reason Obama didn't ask for one (if this was the presidential election in November, without a doubt a recount would have been requested). Kucinich may not win the nomination but at least he has had and will continue to have a positive effect on the election process.

blakjak
01-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Maybe not... They're friends. They both know Paul has a chance and Kucinich doesn't... Maybe Ron put in a call so he wouldn't get any blowback.

That was my thought as well.

akijikan
This is only for the Dem side but it looks like a candidate on the Republican side is requesting a recount so both sides should be re-done. I'm interested to see the Democrat side because I don't see how Obama could have lost NH.

Oh so they recount on each ballot (Dem vs Rep ballots)?

ItsTime
qft

he doesnt have anything to loose like rp does...

RonPaulCult
I don't know if this only applies to the dems only but if they find anything the point will be made for our side too

propanes
01-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Kucinich asked his Iowa caucus voters to select Obama as a second. He may see a possible reversal of Hillary's win.

RonPaulwillWin

No they are buddies, and Kucinich knows that he has nothing to lose

Luther
In Ron's defense, it would have sounded like sour grapes to ask for a recount - the same reason Obama didn't ask for one (if this was the presidential election in November, without a doubt a recount would have been requested). Kucinich may not win the nomination but at least he has had and will continue to have a positive effect on the election process.

Paul could have issued a similar statement to Kucinich's and it would not have sounded like sour grapes.

BIG_J
01-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Hey - get a clue. It would have sounded like sour grapes if we would have asked for it; thus DK and RP were behind the scenes working up a deal to get the votes and still be able to say it wasn't RP.

DUH!

Paulitical Correctness
01-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Go Keebler go!

Only kidding, I kind of like the little man.

akijikan
01-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Hey - get a clue. It would have sounded like sour grapes if we would have asked for it; thus DK and RP were behind the scenes working up a deal to get the votes and still be able to say it wasn't RP.

DUH!

There's no need to be condescending.

skinzterpswizfan
01-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Oh so they recount on each ballot (Dem vs Rep ballots)?

I believe so.

Ninja Homer
01-10-2008, 07:33 PM
This is only a recount of the Democrat ballots. We'll see what kind of media response there is about Kucinich getting a recount, and then maybe Ron Paul will as well.

bluemarkets
01-10-2008, 07:33 PM
this is fantastic...

it is already on his website

http://www.dennis4president.com/go/homepage-items/kucinich-asks-for-new-hampshire-recount-in-the-interest-of-election-integrity/

cien750hp
01-10-2008, 07:34 PM
the media is looking for something to jump on paul about. i mean look at the rascist allegations, it is best he just stays under the radar until he does whatever his plan calls for.
and kucinich is one of pauls best friends (at least in washington) so i don't doubt that they either worked this out so paul would not have to risk any blowback (kucinich would love paul in office even if they disagree on healthcare and stuff) and he doesn't have to risk anything because he stands for truth and integrity too, and his base would not be hurt at all from it.
or kucinich took it upon himself here with the rumors of barack maybe beating hillary and paul votes not being counted, he could not let himself just let this go.
whatever it may be, it is fantastic.

Ara825
01-10-2008, 07:36 PM
I just read over on daily paul that Albert Howard (his name was on the R ballot) is asking for a recount on the R side. This is great because it leaves Ron Paul's name out of it. So even if the recount comes back and we are no better off, at least they can't toss back in our faces and laugh at us for demanding the recount.

joenaab
01-10-2008, 07:37 PM

Agreed. Kucinich stepped up and Dr. Paul is hiding from controversy and hasn't even commented on this.

amy31416
01-10-2008, 07:39 PM

DUH!

Plus, if RP asks for the recount, and there's no or very little discrepancy found, his campaign would be doomed. Same with Obama.

Kudos to Kucinich.

joenaab
01-10-2008, 07:39 PM

I don't agree. He could have phrased it as eloquently as Kucinich saying that he wasn't concerned with his vote totals, but with a true investigation of known irregularities. There's a difference. I've lost some respect for Ron Paul for hiding from this issue.

4RP08inKCMO
01-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Question: How do you recount Diebold votes?

propanes
01-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Agreed. Kucinich stepped up and Dr. Paul is hiding from controversy and hasn't even commented on this.

Yes, he has on the front of his website....

vested interest in the current order, will do everything possible to smear me. They will do and say anything to try to block our movement. Even vote fraud is not beyond these people.

joenaab
01-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Question: How do you recount Diebold votes?

there are at least two types of diebold machines, one is entirely electronic where you vote by touch screen and the other is a vote counting machine which counts paper ballots completed by hand. these machines were all paper ballot counters. the original paper ballots would be counted by hand.

i'd like to know more about the chain of custody for the paper ballots.

joenaab
01-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Yes, he has on the front of his website....

vested interest in the current order, will do everything possible to smear me. They will do and say anything to try to block our movement. Even vote fraud is not beyond these people.

no, he hasn't. he has a letter that ignores the issue entirely except that he makes a vague statement such as "even vote fraud is not beyond these people". by saying that it makes him look even weaker in that he knows of it and has done nothing. how can you compare this to what kucinich has done?

4RP08inKCMO
01-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me joenaab. I had thought the machines in New Hampshire were of the touch screen variety. This keeps getting more intriguing.

AMack
01-10-2008, 07:48 PM
I agree. If Ron Paul asked for a recount and there were no significant changes in the votes, it would just draw more public attention to his 5th place finish and totally make him look like a sore loser. Better that Kucinich does it.

Falseflagop
01-10-2008, 07:50 PM
I bet RON put him up to it !!

joenaab
01-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me joenaab. I had thought the machines in New Hampshire were of the touch screen variety. This keeps getting more intriguing.

no, those are the machines that will be used in most of the next 48 states. :eek:

propanes
01-10-2008, 07:51 PM
no, he hasn't. he has a letter that ignores the issue entirely except that he makes a vague statement such as "even vote fraud is not beyond these people". by saying that it makes him look even weaker in that he knows of it and has done nothing. how can you compare this to what kucinich has done?

You call it vague, I say astute. Kucinich has far less to lose in the maneuver.

jenninlouisiana
01-10-2008, 07:51 PM
He is right... it is the point of the matter....

Rintrah
01-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Way to go Kucinich. Ron Paul was not in a good position to do this himself. It would have been spun into a 'sore loser and his tin foil hat supporters type of story.
I hope this exposes some fraud and I hope we really beat Ghouliani.

amy31416
01-10-2008, 07:53 PM
I looked for the Kucinich forums and came across DemocraticWarrior.com and...wow...all I can say is that I'm shocked at how much they loathe Dr. Paul. Nobody says why in particular, but only one person said that they liked him because he "stuck it to" the neocons.

I was going to write them a thank you for the recount thing, but they locked down the Kucinich forum after the rumor started a couple months ago that Kucinich would like to be on the ticket with Paul.

Wow. So much for liberal open-mindedness and free-thinking. Damn.

Falseflagop
01-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Way to go DENNIS !

brumans
01-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Way to go Kucinich. Ron Paul was not in a good position to do this himself. It would have been spun into a 'sore loser and his tin foil hat supporters type of story.
I hope this exposes some fraud and I hope we really beat Ghouliani.

This doesn't concern the Republicans does it? They are only recounting the democrats... We need another recount to see if we really beat giuliani

american empire
01-10-2008, 07:54 PM

Kucinich doesnt have a chance of winning....?????.....isnt that what we get angry about...unelectability....gosh if you were not a Ron Paul supporter I would....sigh...nevermind

tnvoter
01-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Way to go Dennis!

evan2024
01-10-2008, 09:27 PM
. . . but would this be a Democrat and Republican recount or just the Democrats since Kucinich is Democrat?

Myerz
01-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Rock on...VP Kucinich!

dt_
01-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Imagine if this caused Obama to win.

WOW
the media would be all over the electronic voting thing

grfgerger
01-10-2008, 09:39 PM
awesome! i'm a big fan of kucinich on most things, economic policy not so much but he's a damned good congressman

Exarel
01-10-2008, 09:46 PM
I am sure he did it for his buddy ron paul, to avoiding giving RP the smearing the media would do.