PDA

View Full Version : John McCain's 2000 racist remarks.

ceakins
01-10-2008, 06:47 PM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/hongop.shtml

"On his campaign bus recently, Sen. John McCain told reporters, "I hated the gooks. I will hate them as long as I live." Although McCain said he was referring only to his prison guards, there are many reasons why his use of the word "gook" is offensive and alarming."

constituent
01-10-2008, 06:48 PM
zero sum.

which white republican is the most racist is not a battle that can be won...

at least not by a white republican.

RonPaulCult
01-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Shocker from Mr. "Bomb bomb bomb bomb Iran"

ceakins
01-10-2008, 07:02 PM
zero sum.

Look we need to play the game, it's time we go on the offensive. No more pussy footing around.

newbitech
01-10-2008, 07:06 PM
zero sum.

true but Dr. Paul never uttered a racist remark. this is a point he made to Douche Fixer.

I don't think that battle needs to be won, but since its being discussed, may as well drag it out.

Zarxrax
01-10-2008, 07:10 PM
I tried to submit it to digg, but it says its not a valid url :\

ceakins
01-10-2008, 07:10 PM
true but Dr. Paul never uttered a racist remark. this is a point he made to Douche Fixer.

I don't think that battle needs to be won, but since its being discussed, may as well drag it out.

I don't care what the dirt is, it's time to air it for all the other candidates, they have skeletons.

Ernest
01-10-2008, 07:20 PM
It doesn't matter. It is not about "racism" it is about bringing someone down. If it were really about racism. People like Al Sharpton would not be a media darling. Where is the racist outrage at Obama? There are plenty of examples of "racism" coming from people of color but again the issue is not "racism" but destroying someone. We have become a nation control by the MSM. Even many here.

Barack Obama's Racist Church

http://www.newsmax.com/kessler/Obama_Church_Racism/2008/01/07/62285.html

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Let's just worry about ourselves.

noztnac
01-11-2008, 02:00 AM
In the US, gook refers particularly to a Vietnamese person in the context of the Vietnam War, and particularly to the Viet Cong. It is generally considered highly offensive, on a par with ******. In a highly charged and nuanced incident, Senator John McCain famously used the word publicly to refer specifically to his former captors, then apologized in deference to the Vietnamese community at large. See [1]
This term first appeared in the USA media during the Korean War as an epithet for North Korean and Chinese soldiers, from common use among US soldiers. Use of the term to also refer to South Koreans, allies to United Nations soldiers (including the US military) came into disfavor and disrepute after the Korean War.
Folk etymology suggests that during the Korean War, young Korean children would point at US soldiers and shout "미국" (mee-gook), the Korean word for "America". Soldiers heard the word as "Me Gook", as if the children were defining themselves as "Gooks". The soldiers proceeded to use that term to refer to the Koreans. The word 국 (國, gook) itself simply means "country"; 미국 (mee-gook) meaning beautiful country, and 한국 (Hangook) meaning Korean Country.

Drknows
01-11-2008, 02:05 AM
Let's just worry about ourselves.

They smear us. They waited till NH to bring this shit up and treated it like it was breaking news.

We can do the same to them. Every single candidate on that stage has dirt.

jrich4rpaul
01-11-2008, 05:42 AM
bump

manny
01-11-2008, 05:46 AM
I just mentioned this in another thread.

A lot of people are getting upset about the last few days.

I say Ron has finally got the issue sorted.

If we help with the MLK money bomb that's icing on the cake.

Compared to the other candidates Ron is a saint and a much more honorable man.

BeFranklin
01-11-2008, 05:49 AM
I don't care what the dirt is, it's time to air it for all the other candidates, they have skeletons.

This is true. I posted this earlier too

manny
01-11-2008, 05:52 AM
It doesn't matter. It is not about "racism" it is about bringing someone down. If it were really about racism. People like Al Sharpton would not be a media darling. Where is the racist outrage at Obama? There are plenty of examples of "racism" coming from people of color but again the issue is not "racism" but destroying someone. We have become a nation control by the MSM. Even many here.

Barack Obama's Racist Church

http://www.newsmax.com/kessler/Obama_Church_Racism/2008/01/07/62285.html

I had never read much info on Obama's church.

It sounds like an extremist organization. Funny how he is meant to represent the opposite.

What with his pandering to la raza and assorted other racists, I can't help but wonder if Obama's "unifying presedential bid" would last the media scrutiny if he takes the nomination.

amy31416
01-11-2008, 06:10 AM
The point hasn't been brought up yet that a) Most Americans know he was a POW and b) Very few of those Americans will blame him for calling people that tortured him "gooks"

Nobody will give a rat's ass. McCain has much worse problems that are not being addressed by the media. This one is a complete waste of time and hardly even scandalous. If you want to smear someone, make sure it's both true AND effective.

Then go nuts.

terryp
01-11-2008, 10:12 AM
McCain dirt - McCain's upwards political trajectory was jolted when he became enmeshed in the Keating Five scandal of the 1980s. In the context of the Savings and Loan crisis of that decade, Charles Keating, Jr.'s Lincoln Savings and Loan Association, a subsidiary of his American Continental Corporation, was insolvent due to some bad loans. In order to regain solvency, Lincoln sold investment in a real estate venture as a FDIC insured savings account. This caught the eye of federal regulators who were looking to shut it down. It is alleged that Keating contacted five senators to whom he made contributions. McCain was one of those senators and he met at least twice in 1987 with Ed Gray, chairman of the Federal Home Loan Bank Board, seeking to prevent the government's seizure of Lincoln. Between 1982 and 1987, McCain received approximately $112,000 in political contributions from Keating and his associates.[73] In addition, McCain's wife and her father had invested $359,100 in a Keating shopping center in April 1986, a year before McCain met with the regulators. McCain, his family and baby-sitter made at least nine trips at Keating's expense, sometimes aboard the American Continental jet. After learning Keating was in trouble over Lincoln, McCain paid for the air trips totaling $13,433.[74]

Eventually the real estate venture failed, leaving many broke. Federal regulators ultimately filed a $1.1 billion civil racketeering and fraud suit against Keating, accusing him of siphoning Lincoln's deposits to his family and into political campaigns. The five senators came under investigation for attempting to influence the regulators. In the end, none of the senators were convicted of any crime, but McCain did receive a rebuke from the Senate Ethics Committee for exercising "poor judgment" for intervening with the federal regulators on behalf of Keating.[75] On his Keating Five experience, McCain said: "The appearance of it was wrong. It's a wrong appearance when a group of senators appear in a meeting with a group of regulators, because it conveys the impression of undue and improper influence. And it was the wrong thing to do."[75]

McCain survived the political scandal by, in part, becoming very friendly with the political press; [76] with his blunt manner, he became a frequent guest on television news shows, especially once the 1991 Gulf War began and his military and POW experience became in demand.[76] McCain began campaigning against lobbyist money in politics from then on. His 1992 re-election campaign found his opposition split between Democratic community and civil rights activist Claire Sargent and impeached and removed former Governor Evan Mecham running as an independent.[76] Although Mecham garnered some hard-core conservative support, Sargent's campaign never gathered momentum and the Keating Five affair did not dominate discussion.[76][77] McCain again won handily,[76] getting 56 percent of the vote to Sargent's 32 percent and Mecham's 11 percent.

Mrs McCain dirt - In August 1994, Cindy McCain admitted she had been addicted to painkillers such as Percocet and Vicodin since 1989, saying she had resorted to stealing drugs from a nonprofit medical relief charity, the American Voluntary Medical Team. When McCain publicly revealed her addiction, years after she had proclaimed sobriety, and after county investigative materials were made public, she stated she hoped it would give fellow drug addicts courage in their struggles: "Although my conduct did not result in compromising any missions of AVMT, my actions were wrong, and I regret them." A few weeks later, the Variety Club of Arizona canceled its "humanitarian of the year" award dinner in her honor citing poor ticket sales.[7] Her activities also violated federal statutes, so a federal investigation was also performed. McCain's defense team secured an agreement with the U.S. Attorney's office that was limited to financial restitution and treatment for her drug addiction. At the time, legal experts told the Phoenix New Times that had she not been married to John, she likely would have been sentenced to federal prison.[citation needed] Tom Gosinski, the director of government and international affairs for the American Voluntary Medical Team, who tipped off the DEA to investigate McCain's drug theft, also accused her of asking him to lie concerning her drug use when the McCains were applying to adopt a baby from Bangladesh. [8] [9]

Sorry, this is from Wikipedia.

Jaredh
01-11-2008, 10:26 AM
The point hasn't been brought up yet that a) Most Americans know he was a POW and b) Very few of those Americans will blame him for calling people that tortured him "gooks"

Nobody will give a rat's ass. McCain has much worse problems that are not being addressed by the media. This one is a complete waste of time and hardly even scandalous. If you want to smear someone, make sure it's both true AND effective.

Then go nuts.

Not really...

I think if we've learned anything it should be that it mostly certainly doesn't need to be true to smear someone. Sure they probably won't report it, but it's worth a shot.

Yeah, and somehow I have a feeling asian populations will disagree with you. If even 5% of Mccains votes come from the asian demogaphic, I see this as an effective "smear".

OrbitalGun
01-11-2008, 10:37 AM
McCain is a racist (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNGXB_qx0xk) that has no problem using terms that are well known slurs.