PDA

View Full Version : "Why Do They Hate Us?"

im_a_pepper
07-23-2007, 12:38 AM
Excellent article that has a supportive view of Dr. Paul's examples of our bad foreign policy as well as our simpleminded views of other countries and how they consider us. Posted by the Washington Post yesterday.

------>here<------ (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/20/AR2007072001806.html)

a good read

rpf2008
07-23-2007, 12:49 AM
Good article for the main stream media. They hate us cause we bomb the crap out of people to "free them". Another big cause of the disconnect is that americans are subject to massive pro-us propaganda and the rest of the world is not.

Most Americans have this sick view of a benevolent American that "makes a few mistakes" like a dog with an over-active tail in a china shop. When in reality we are much MUCH worse.

d'anconia
07-23-2007, 01:01 AM
As much as I love RP I can't deny that I personally feel that Islam isn't a very peaceful religion...

Dan Klaus
07-23-2007, 01:09 AM
As much as I love RP I can't deny that I personally feel that Islam isn't a very peaceful religion...

Having lived in muslim countries for years and years and married a muslim woman - I can say from direct experience that a majority of those who follow islam are the kindest, gentlest, welcoming and peaceful people I have ever had the pleasure to be associated...the fundamentalists have misinterpreted the quran and used it for political and terroristic means...but walk down the street in a village in uzbekistan and tell a muslim you are hungry and tired and you will be inivited into the home and treated as a member of the family..

rpf2008
07-23-2007, 01:10 AM
I agree with the above posted. Most people who follow Islam are like most Christians, kind people. Turn off the TV ! The tv has people thinking every muslim wants to cut your head off if you don't bow down to Allah, it's simply not true.

Broadlighter
07-23-2007, 02:24 AM
I thought this article well stated something I've been thinking about for sometime. In 1789, we told the world who we were - a nation founded on the principles of personal liberty, value of life and natural rights of mankind. I think these values are what other people around the world love about America. Today, we have all but abandoned what we said who we are. By not living up to the measure of the Constitution - by intervening in the affairs of other countries, chipping away at personal liberties and treating life as collateral, we give everyone good reason to hate us.

All we have to be is who we say we are. When we have a President who swears an oath to defend the Constitution from all enemies foreign or domestic and then turns around and calls it a 'Goddam piece of paper, ' he has made himself the enemy he was sworn to defend us from.

It makes me wonder how much better people in other countries know our Constitution than we do.

Aborell
07-23-2007, 03:18 AM
That was an excellent article, thanks for posting it.

kylejack
07-23-2007, 05:15 AM
There are certainly radicals like Osama who would hate us and try to kill us no matter what, but our intervention creates most of his followers. Iran once had a pretty moderate Western style government. When we created a coup of Mossadegh's government and installed the Shah and a new prime minister, what followed was 26 years of tyranny. The Shah murdered and imprisoned dozens of thousands. When the people decided they'd had enough of this oppression, they lent their support to the Islamic Revolution. They may not have wanted radical religious government, but the mosques were the only thing strong enough to overthrow the Shah. He fled the country and Carter refused to turn him over. Then Reagan made a secret backroom deal to sell Iran weapons. We created and armed the rebirth of radical Islam.

Electrostatic
07-23-2007, 05:18 AM
Don't forget, in addition to creating more followers for people like him, it also lowers that tendencies of "normal" people in those countries to stick their necks out for us if they think something is about to go down.

kylejack
07-23-2007, 05:40 AM
Iran is just one instance of a long history of America interfering in Muslim affairs. While we were selling weapons to Iran and using the profits to send guns to help support a coup in Nicarauga, we were also sending a poisoned handkerchief to the prime minister of Iraq, and supporting the military coup by Saddam's party. When Saddam came to power, he read off a list of names of enemies of the State, many of whom were members of Parliament in other parties. They were all seized and executed. Then we started giving chemical weapon components to Hussein, who used them against the Iranians and the Kurds and the Shiites. We also supported Pol Pot, who was the vicious dictator of Cambodia who killed millions, many of which were Muslims. I'm just scratching the surface here. We've been a pretty negative force in the Muslim world, so its no surprise when Muslims aren't willing to risk their own lives to report terrorist activity in their neighborhoods.