PDA

View Full Version : Article about the Iowa "SPAMmers"

Jennifer Reynolds
07-22-2007, 09:37 PM
///

Akus
07-22-2007, 09:44 PM
When Ron Paul won or came in second in the first three Republican national debates ...

Can some one substantiate that?

cujothekitten
07-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Now that was a great read. We're going to keep doing this for other events he does right?

Roxi
07-22-2007, 09:48 PM
Can some one substantiate that?

shes talking about the online cnn and msnbc polls where RP got 60% in two and 40% just behind someone else in the first one

Jennifer Reynolds
07-22-2007, 09:49 PM
///

cujothekitten
07-22-2007, 09:49 PM
digg
http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Ron_Paul_SPAMmers_Spam_local_Charity_With_a_Wall_o f_Food

Jennifer Reynolds
07-22-2007, 09:55 PM
///

cac1963
07-22-2007, 10:02 PM
It's up.

http://www.gambling911.com/Ron-Paul-072307.html

Hope you all like it.

I love the article, and I love what everyone did this weekend. I'm going to use this article to help show people that libertarians are not self-centered greedy capitalists.

But the whole affair prompts a question from a former liberal-ish Paul supporter. One day's commendable efforts would not sustain such a shelter, and quite soon those cupboards again will be filled mostly with govt assistance.

If the people are better capable of taking care of the needs and needy in their communities than the government, why aren't they doing that now, in the name of true competition? Why aren't there more private institutions to handle things that need to be handled so that govt institutions can be driven out of business, so to speak? If private orgs and community groups can do it better than the government, then why aren't they doing that, thus eliminating the need for the govt's involvement?

Would this not be a sound approach to justify the elimination of govt programs, so that people wouldn't fear the loss of these govt programs so much? Or am I not fully understanding how a more libertarian society would work?

Thanks for any input. I'm fully sold on Paul, but having trouble selling his positions to others in my liberalish neck of the woods.

Cindy
07-22-2007, 10:13 PM
That was a delicious read Jennifer! It felt wonderful to read something positive about Pauls supporters for a change.

I hope the goodwill campaign trail carries on and follows Paul wherever he goes!

Thank you for writing about it and sharing it with us Jennifer!

jcbraithwaite7
07-22-2007, 10:22 PM
I'm a very generous person. If I didn't have to pay thousands and thousands of $ in income tax I would donate soooo much more. Also, most charitable donations after Katrina came from middle class and even lower class people if they could thrive financially then there would be more charity.

I also think the entitlement attitude that something is owed taints my giving. I will help someone out... but an attitude of "Hey... you have more than me and I NEED it and you HAVE to give it to me. Well... that kind of pisses me off. If we raised children and adults with self esteem and self reliance who also have hope for better jobs and a better life... there would be less need for charity. There will always be needy people due to mental illness, disabilities etc. But when we raise needy children because that is all they know... how can we expect anything different. Necessity is the mother of invention. I also think you fly smarter when you are flying without such a big safety net. Why would someone work when they know they don't have to. Generations are learning to work the disability system, welfare system and say, "Poor me.... help me... give me... I am/have ______ and I qualify for _____.

We need to remember that our right is to the "Pursuit of Happiness" and well.... start encouraging people to take responsibilty and get busy pursuing!!!

Cindy
07-22-2007, 10:26 PM
I agree and even Ron has said there is no way to totally eliminate some state sponcered help for the truly needy.

I think he like so many of us are tired of seeing those who use 'welfare" as a career option or subsitute for dead beat dads and keep having kids on our dime, let alone the illegals using services provided for by tax pauers, when they evade paying into the system.

We all know! Again, your article being published is a HUGE contribution to the cause of helping Pauls campaign success and getting the word out.

Syren123
07-22-2007, 10:29 PM
Jennifer you are the BOMB. Or 'da bomb' if you prefer.

That was an EXCELLENT article as are all your other articles. You have a BRIGHT FUTURE in the upcoming Ron Paul era!! All those dinosaurs in the current MSM will be jobless as the rest of the country wakes up and quits reading their propaganda tripe...so THINK of the career opportunities that will be opening up!

Maybe you'd like George Stephanopoulos' job to start. He'll be out on his ass November 6, 2008.

inibo
07-22-2007, 10:31 PM
"When you stop to think about it, this was an amazing thing to do in only a few days. The idea was first sprouted at 10:55pm on 7/18/2007. The idea was kicked around and at 3:33am on 7/19/07 the first donations began rolling in. By 7/21/2007, the Spartanburg Children's Shelter had a ton of food in their pantry. These are grassroots supporters of Ron Paul, not paid volunteers. They had no input or help from the official Ron Paul campaign. In fact, since Ron Paul has outgrown his headquarters, the Ron Paul headquarters were closed while they were moving to their new site, and there was no possibility of contacting anyone from the campaign to let them know this was happening. Nevertheless, these supporters carried on."

How can we lose?

:D

dspectre
07-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Jennifer,

That was a great article!!!

cac1963
07-22-2007, 10:35 PM
I'm a very generous person. If I didn't have to pay thousands and thousands of $ in income tax I would donate soooo much more. Also, most charitable donations after Katrina came from middle class and even lower class people if they could thrive financially then there would be more charity.

I also think the entitlement attitude that something is owed taints my giving. I will help someone out... but an attitude of "Hey... you have more than me and I NEED it and you HAVE to give it to me. Well... that kind of pisses me off. If we raised children and adults with self esteem and self reliance who also have hope for better jobs and a better life... there would be less need for charity. There will always be needy people due to mental illness, disabilities etc. But when we raise needy children because that is all they know... how can we expect anything different. Necessity is the mother of invention. I also think you fly smarter when you are flying without such a big safety net. Why would someone work when they know they don't have to. Generations are learning to work the disability system, welfare system and say, "Poor me.... help me... give me... I am/have ______ and I qualify for _____.

We need to remember that our right is to the "Pursuit of Happiness" and well.... start encouraging people to take responsibilty and get busy pursuing!!!

Oh you don't have to sell me on any of it already, I saw all the outpouring of individual Katrina assistance and how the govt got in the way and turned people away and tried to commandeer all the volunteers and goods being donated. I'm one of them that the govt stepped on trying to control what I and my friends were trying to do.

I'm also from a city who believed strongly in our own civil defense teams and rarely expected, much less asked for, federal assistance in all our tornados, windstorms and freak snowstorms when I was growing up. I grew up with civil defense volunteer parents so I do appreciate the message already.

I guess maybe I don't have a good grasp on the whole social welfare situation. I think maybe there many private orgs such as churches and boys clubs and charities, with a local govt office to provide for those who aren't served by these other groups. Of course now even the churches are getting govt funding to do these charitable works, but that's another layer to an already messed up system.

So that begs the question of who is actually going to the government first rather than to their families and churches? And though it's not in the selfperpetuating self interest of these government offices to encourage people to seek help from other resources then come back if all other attempts fail, this is my idea of how it should be.

Jennifer Reynolds
07-22-2007, 11:38 PM
///

cac1963
07-22-2007, 11:53 PM
That's not what I asked at all. I fully understand that we the people are the ones who are supposed to give, through our own free will, and not by force through taxation. My question originally was why weren't private orgs already outdoing the government now in order to make the govt programs unnecessary?

Jennifer Reynolds
07-23-2007, 12:00 AM
///

Jennifer Reynolds
07-23-2007, 12:16 AM
///

beermotor
07-23-2007, 04:31 AM
I love the article, and I love what everyone did this weekend. I'm going to use this article to help show people that libertarians are not self-centered greedy capitalists.

But the whole affair prompts a question from a former liberal-ish Paul supporter. One day's commendable efforts would not sustain such a shelter, and quite soon those cupboards again will be filled mostly with govt assistance.

If the people are better capable of taking care of the needs and needy in their communities than the government, why aren't they doing that now, in the name of true competition? Why aren't there more private institutions to handle things that need to be handled so that govt institutions can be driven out of business, so to speak? If private orgs and community groups can do it better than the government, then why aren't they doing that, thus eliminating the need for the govt's involvement?

Would this not be a sound approach to justify the elimination of govt programs, so that people wouldn't fear the loss of these govt programs so much? Or am I not fully understanding how a more libertarian society would work?

Thanks for any input. I'm fully sold on Paul, but having trouble selling his positions to others in my liberalish neck of the woods.

Just think if we didn't have to pay such a large chunk of our income to the stupid feds... a lot of folks could do a lot more. In addition, it would reduce abject poverty which often leads to these abusive conditions in the first place. It's a win-win.

Cindy
07-23-2007, 05:04 AM
Hey Jennifer,

Your article caught the attention of the Ron Paul Daily!

http://www.dailypaul.com/node/860

SWEET!!!!!

AZ Libertarian
07-23-2007, 10:34 AM
Awww, man - that made me cry.....

BLS
07-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Great article Jennifer.

(please don't shoot me....there's a typo in the last paragraph)

"support Dr. Paul and his message of live and liberty and freedom for all.