PDA

View Full Version : Target your elders

hawks4ronpaul
01-10-2008, 06:26 AM
40+year-olds dominate voting so target your grandparents, aunts and uncles, your friends' parents, your older coworkers, etc.

Talk financial security.

Inflation and the Fed eat their nest egg.

RP's honest money policy will make savings more secure.

Any of RP's bold plans will not pull the rug out from older people, they will only give new choices to the young to save better.

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com

tfelice
01-10-2008, 06:29 AM
It's a tough sell for people that have been through many Presidential elections. Nearly every primary season there is an interesting, upstart candiate that effectively goes nowhere. People have learned over the years that unless a candidate breaks through at some point early on, they won't be around long.

hawks4ronpaul
01-10-2008, 06:38 AM
Talk to them like a financial adviser. Show them unfunded liabilities vs. GDP. Show them itulip's M3 and real inflation. Subtract real inflation from their 401k's nominal returns.

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

tfelice
01-10-2008, 06:44 AM
Talk to them like a financial adviser. Show them unfunded liabilities vs. GDP. Show them itulip's M3 and real inflation. Subtract real inflation from their 401k's nominal returns.

It's not a matter of selling them on the issues, its a matter of selling them on viability of the candidate. When a candidate does so poorly in the early primaries, people feel that a vote for that candidate is akin to voting for Mickey Mouse because neither one of them have a chance to be nominated.

tod evans
01-10-2008, 07:07 AM
i`m one of the "ol` farts" you speak of.........baby boomer, ect.
quite simply instead of preaching or trying to "educate" my generation, time is better spent providing access to ron pauls own words and a polite "please look at him and draw your own conclusions"
most of my peers are internet savy, and although many of us have bought into mainstream politics, most of us see them as a dog-n-pony show.
ron has his act together, he makes sence and he`s intelligent, then comes the biggest selling point....he`s consistent!
we, the over 40 crowd, really aren`t as gullible as many of you would think;)...so instead of trying to convince anybody of rons viability please do as i do and quietly and politely ask folks to give him a look-see.
signs-n-hollerin` might make news but quiet intelligent discussion wins votes.

tod

MsDoodahs
01-10-2008, 07:51 AM
i`m one of the "ol` farts" you speak of.........baby boomer, ect.
quite simply instead of preaching or trying to "educate" my generation, time is better spent providing access to ron pauls own words and a polite "please look at him and draw your own conclusions"
most of my peers are internet savy, and although many of us have bought into mainstream politics, most of us see them as a dog-n-pony show.
ron has his act together, he makes sence and he`s intelligent, then comes the biggest selling point....he`s consistent!
we, the over 40 crowd, really aren`t as gullible as many of you would think;)...so instead of trying to convince anybody of rons viability please do as i do and quietly and politely ask folks to give him a look-see.

tod

<waves hello> Hi, Tod, and welcome.

As a fellow member of the geezer geek crowd (I'm 47:eek: ), I have to say that Tod's experience (most of his peers are net savvy) does not go for all of us.

In my experience...most of my cousins are older...I'm the youngest in the group of 19 individuals...oldest one of the bunch turns 65 this year - and I'm the most internet savvy. :( Which isn't saying much, considering how untechsavvy I really am. :o

The issues of concern to the 55 and up bunch are covered in the AARP surveys, they have some that are state specific, too. Older americans tend to be concerned about healthcare and economics. Give it some thought and you'll realize how logical that is. Older americans use lots of healthcare. Retired people are on fixed incomes.

These are the issues that concern older americans.

One of the things that jumped out at me in one of the AARP surveys I saw was that something like 88% of the respondents said they trust DOCTORS. So USE THAT! Emphasize that Ron is a healthcare professional - a physician. :)

Be respectful when dealing with them. Don't talk over them. I'd say approach them with something like "AARP surveys show that older americans are most concerned about healthcare and economics. Does that match your own views?" That seems like maybe pulling a page from 'eff-u Frank' but ... the technique seems to work.

Then if they agree, emphasize that Dr. Paul is concerned about preserving their savings because he understands that with a real inflation rate at 10% and a COLA increase of only 2%, they're being robbed by the government. Emphasize that Ron wants to change that. Emphasize that this has been one of Ron's primary concerns. Then show them a video if you can (laptop brigade!)

A good video to show the older american as an introduction would be one where Ron is explaining this himself. I know he talked about it when he gave Bernake that brutal spanking, but he has also spoken about it since then several times.

I think it would be very powerful if someone created a video with Ron speaking on this issue in several different venues. Show them that unlike some who are trying to steal this issue for themselves, Ron owns it. ;)

Hope that helps...

MsD

hawks4ronpaul
01-10-2008, 08:01 AM
We need more people like Tod and MsD to list some powerful RP segments and recommend some music and images for some wizkid to make a video/DVD for the older demographic.

MsDoodahs
01-10-2008, 08:22 AM
Do NOT use rap or metal type music as background. Use something less "in your face."

The 80 year olds were the moms and dads of the teens that rebelled during the 60s, so to make it effective for BOTH groups, keep the music ... softer. :)

Also, as far as I can tell, these people are the MOST deeply indoctrinated. Please, do not be harsh with them as a result. As hard as this may be for you, you must be compassionate towards them or you will alienate them from Ron's message. I feel that for some, now that your eyes are wide open, it is tempting to blame them for having lived with theirs closed for so long. That is somewhat unfair. Why? Because they did not have the internet.

Most of them aren't on it all the time like we are. A lot of them use the internet for email and not much else. They do not know how to use this resource. As a result, most of them are still under the spell of television. Since that is their primary source for all information, they are unaware of ANYTHING except what the media hacks have told them about Ron. Remember that the mainstream media has consistently portrayed the good doctor as crazy, kooky, crackpot, etc etc.

This is the image that many of the older generation STILL hold of Dr. Paul. Because they do not know what we know. And they don't know what we know because they are not online as we are. Historically they vote in numbers far higher than the young. Assume it is going to be true in every state and start working this group.

Also, I think a video with MULTIPLE clips of Dr. Paul explaining the issue of how real inflation eats away their savings and the measly 2% COLA isn't going to keep them afloat, and even a clip of Ron vs Bernake and maybe even a Ron vs Alan clip or two, would be MOST helpful. Not because I think the older set won't understand what it is Ron is talking about, but because they need to know that Ron has studied economics for decades - and therefore has a deep understanding of the subject that no other candidate can match. :)

Arramond
01-10-2008, 08:35 AM
I have to say that all the calls I heard on C-Span on the run up to NH were all older people and they all went for Mcain or Hilary (the war whore) or Obama and they didn't really know why. So i suggest all you people with laptops or potable dvd players or whatever you can use to show people these vids of Ron Paul get out and show people. His town hall meetings, MSM interviews ....well you know which vids, I don't need to tell you. The stuff with substance and information not so much the soppy music ads (although that new MLK vid is awesome). get out there and just play them some vids or even put a load on dvd's and offer them to people who just don't have internet or use it. Offer them a cup of tea (sorry that was too british...a drink) and invite them round to watch the vids on the net. thats my advise for what it is worth.

Deborah K
01-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Use Jefferson county's techniques. They won in Iowa! Watch this amazing clip on their strategy. This should be done in every county! I'm posting a thread on this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MjU-1QVaXU

Arramond
01-10-2008, 08:57 AM
Use Jefferson county's techniques. They won in Iowa! Watch this amazing clip on their strategy. This should be done in every county! I'm posting a thread on this.

The people of Jefferson county should be proud of what they acheived and we should all follow thier example.

Well done!

ronpaulhawaii
01-10-2008, 09:29 AM

tod

Welcome and great 1st post

Yes, politely asking people to have a look is effective in many ways. By treating them with respect they are more inclined to treat us with respect and actually look at the lit with an open mind

The issues of concern to the 55 and up bunch are covered in the AARP surveys, they have some that are state specific, too. Older americans tend to be concerned about healthcare and economics. Give it some thought and you'll realize how logical that is. Older americans use lots of healthcare. Retired people are on fixed incomes.

These are the issues that concern older americans.

One of the things that jumped out at me in one of the AARP surveys I saw was that something like 88% of the respondents said they trust DOCTORS. So USE THAT! Emphasize that Ron is a healthcare professional - a physician. :)

Be respectful when dealing with them. Don't talk over them. I'd say approach them with something like "AARP surveys show that older americans are most concerned about healthcare and economics. Does that match your own views?" That seems like maybe pulling a page from 'eff-u Frank' but ... the technique seems to work.

Then if they agree, emphasize that Dr. Paul is concerned about preserving their savings because he understands that with a real inflation rate at 10% and a COLA increase of only 2%, they're being robbed by the government. Emphasize that Ron wants to change that. Emphasize that this has been one of Ron's primary concerns. Then show them a video if you can (laptop brigade!)

A good video to show the older american as an introduction would be one where Ron is explaining this himself. I know he talked about it when he gave Bernake that brutal spanking, but he has also spoken about it since then several times.

I think it would be very powerful if someone created a video with Ron speaking on this issue in several different venues. Show them that unlike some who are trying to steal this issue for themselves, Ron owns it. ;)

Hope that helps...

MsD

+1

Yes, they did a great job and we all should be incorporating their example into our strategies

tod evans
01-10-2008, 09:47 AM
i`m the same age as MsD 1960 vintage......i caught a link to "don`t tread on me" on one of the woodworking forums i frequent.....i was hooked!
aerosmith is fine by me for backround tunes but it`s the message that hit home, i sent the link to my mother who`s 70 now both she and my grandma 95, are actively speaking to their peers.
it`s really not so much about targeting any one demographic with single issue snippets, a much wiser approach in my opinion is politely using the "good-ol`-boy" network by speaking to friends and family, business acquaintances ect. and letting them know that you feel the platform makes sence and unlike most politicians in our lifetime ron paul appears to be honest.
just in my immediate family i`ve effectively covered 7 states and i`m sure that each of my siblings are just as quietly speaking to their friends...
try and remember that just because some of us are "older" doesn`t necessarily make us any less enthralled with the message.
i`m somewhat different from most folks my age in that i haven`t owned a television for 20yrs and don`t miss it one bit so my opinions aren`t jaded by the talking heads most folks subject themselves to.
for those who are canvassing clean and polite is the approach that works with most folks, let them know that a political canadate has fired up todays youth enough to get `em off their butt without pay just to ask that they give ron paul an honest evaluation.....people will make up their own minds and leaving them feeling as though you trust them to evaluate the canadates objectively will do more for the message than discussing any issue.
tod

hawks4ronpaul
01-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Remember that older people use the internet less or even almost never. A woodworking website is good but a Home Depot store might be better.

hawks4ronpaul
01-10-2008, 09:03 PM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=I-16u9x3tfE

hawks4ronpaul
01-10-2008, 09:07 PM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=I-16u9x3tfE or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-16u9x3tfE

hawks4ronpaul
01-20-2008, 12:57 AM
People seem confused by today's results but the rule to winning is the same as it was in IA and NH:

The job of the young volunteer army is to get the old voting army to vote RP.

Yes, older people are online but on average less intently and more likely to not veer far from email, photo album sites, and online MSM (CNN, AOL, FOX).

Older people are on average more likely to pay attention to local tv/radio, newspapers, direct mail (DVDs are good to get video to non-YouTubers), and face-to-face.

Do not promise revolution. The extremists are the Constitution-violating bankrupters endangering America and RP will restore, protect, and secure (however, always for progress/moving forward; going back to past failed for Dole '96).

Finance, housing, and health are key, plus choice (Social Security) and a future for their grandchildren.

Notice where older-targeted ads are (for reverse mortgages, etc.) because that is where RP's needed voters are.

Use the AARP site for clues.

Dr.3D
01-20-2008, 01:17 AM
We have not really had the choice of voting for a good president since I can remember.
I was born in the 40s and from what I can see, we have always had the choice between Bozo, Clarabelle or Milky. No matter who we voted for we got another clown in the White House.

This is the first time we have actually had a choice! For once, we have someone who is not one of the clowns presented to us by the elite. All the older people need is to get the message out to them. This is the problem we are having because the media won't let people know about Dr. Paul.

If the media actually gave Dr. Paul as much time as the rest of the elite blessed candidates, he would have won in all of the primaries.

ValidusCustodiae
01-20-2008, 01:42 AM

Wow, great vid!

UnitedWeStand
01-20-2008, 01:46 AM
My Mom is 65 and has only recently discovered Ron Paul. I gave her the campaign DVD but didnt sit down to watch it with her at that point. She called me last week very excited about him and said shed been up the night before watching the DVDs and after that she couldnt sleep..She is now showing the DVDs to her neighbors and my Aunt.

Point being, The DVDs are a good way to go for the older, tv watching, dialup crowd.

tpreitzel
01-20-2008, 01:51 AM
It's not a matter of selling them on the issues, its a matter of selling them on viability of the candidate. When a candidate does so poorly in the early primaries, people feel that a vote for that candidate is akin to voting for Mickey Mouse because neither one of them have a chance to be nominated.

Right ....

hawks4ronpaul
01-20-2008, 06:55 AM
My Mom is 65 and has only recently discovered Ron Paul. I gave her the campaign DVD but didnt sit down to watch it with her at that point. She called me last week very excited about him and said shed been up the night before watching the DVDs and after that she couldnt sleep..She is now showing the DVDs to her neighbors and my Aunt.

Point being, The DVDs are a good way to go for the older, tv watching, dialup crowd.

Yes, DVDs might be the only way that elders will see RP video and even people who do not use cellphones or email use DVDs, which are not much different than VHS tapes in operation.

Please relay any feedback from your Mom or her friends.

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com

Paulitical Correctness
01-20-2008, 06:58 AM
The old folks are the absolute worst when it comes to the "He can't win" mentality.

How to address this effectively?

hawks4ronpaul
01-20-2008, 07:04 AM
The old folks are the absolute worst when it comes to the "He can't win" mentality.

How to address this effectively?

That is a good focus because any success with older people should help also with everyone else.

RonRules
01-20-2008, 07:14 AM
Great suggestions in this thread like:
"something like 88% of the respondents said they trust DOCTORS. So USE THAT! Emphasize that Ron is a healthcare professional - a physician. "

Staupostek
01-20-2008, 07:17 AM
It seems like more people are drawn to Dr. Paul through the DVDs, town hall meetings, and speeches they hear on the internet or in person. It is in these where people have the time to hear Dr. Paul speak intelligently and thoroughly about the complicated issues we face today. I am not sure anyone could come up with a complete, coherent answer to "Tell us your plan for monetary policy reform in 30 seconds" like they get asked at the "debates". This is also why I see the need for more town hall meetings that are broadcast locally so that people can see Dr. Paul address their issues with complete answers. But that is just my 2 cents worth.

dblee
01-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Hit up the retirement communities in your area. It's the biggest bang for your buck as far as voter population density. One good presentation could swing the whole crowd and create a potential Paulhive :D

If they like him (which they probably will) the whole place will be abuzz with political excitement.

more details:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=92884

hawks4ronpaul
01-20-2008, 12:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrcaaYqn77U&feature=related