PDA

View Full Version : Bringing Down the "Elite" Candidates

Quantumystic
07-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Both Thompson AND Gingrich were part of that fiasco... "Contract w/ America" back in 1994.

I think a "Breach of Contract" publicity campaign would work really well here.

To: The RNC
CC: Newt Gingrich, Fred Thompson

In 1994, the Republican Party won a Congressional Majority based on a Promise. A "Contract w/ America"... to stand against political corruption and big-government spending.

You promised a "New Deal". What we got was a "Raw Deal". And your leadership has failed to produce ANY of the results set forth in your "Contract".

After 12 yrs in the Congress, and 6 yrs in the White House, the American People charge you with "Breach of Contract".

We, the American People, declare the "Contract w/ America" to be in default... and our association Terminated.

Quantumystic
07-22-2007, 04:06 PM
Obviously, I don't suggest Ron Paul himself be involved. He is running as a Republican candidate.

But independently, publicity for a "Breach of Contract" spotlighting of the failures of the GOP-insiders like Thompson and Gingrich could really undermine their credibility.

DAZ
07-22-2007, 04:09 PM
I've read Newt's book "Winning the Future: A 21st Century Contract with America". I don't remember everything, but he claims that the Contract worked, and the only stuff that didn't pass was vetoed by Clinton. Or something like that. Maybe somebody who has read it more recently or closely can provide a better sense of what he says. Newt also outlines his "21st Century Contract" in this book. On the surface, it sounds pretty good to the average reader. My point is, if you are going to argue their incompetence based on the '94 Contract, you will need to provide proof that it was a failure AND that the failure was the fault of Newt himself, not the Dems.

LibertyEagle
07-22-2007, 04:29 PM
You might want to search the jbs web site for dirt on Newt.

Here's one thing:
http://www.jbs.org/node/1527

Quantumystic
07-22-2007, 05:07 PM
I've read Newt's book "Winning the Future: A 21st Century Contract with America". I don't remember everything, but he claims that the Contract worked, and the only stuff that didn't pass was vetoed by Clinton. Or something like that. Maybe somebody who has read it more recently or closely can provide a better sense of what he says. Newt also outlines his "21st Century Contract" in this book. On the surface, it sounds pretty good to the average reader. My point is, if you are going to argue their incompetence based on the '94 Contract, you will need to provide proof that it was a failure AND that the failure was the fault of Newt himself, not the Dems.

This, is WHY Dems continue to have problems "connecting" w/ their PR. They SUCK at painting the Broad Strokes BEFORE the details. You may hate the tactic, but it WORKS.

Example (typical conversation, someone mentions Thompson):

"Thompson??? That joker who was part of that 'Contract w/ America' thing? 'Get rid of Corruption and reduce big-government spending'? Gimme a break. We got more of both now than ever! People spending my taxes like drunken liberals!"

You basically just keep repeating the assertion. Over, and over, and over...

Might need to bring up 3 "supporting" points...
1. Thompson was elected in Tennessee in 1994 as part of the "Contract w/ America" campaign that resulted in a Republican Congressional Majority.
2. For the next 12 yrs, they held and increased that majority control.
3. The spending and corruption has been worse than it was before.

In an "ordinary" conversation w/ an "average" person (one NOT heavily into politics), I guarantee that if they're republican... w/in 10-15 minutes they will have already begun to wonder whether Thompson really was part of the problem.

Remember that there's a HUGE component of the GOP voters that demand simple answers for practically everything. That's why they listen to people like Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter, Jerry Falwell (well, not anymore), etc...

The Politics of People is always most successful when you tell people what they "want" to hear... even when you're telling them what they don't want to hear. You just make it sound that way at first.

It works.