PDA

View Full Version : township threatening to arrest sign posters

McDermit
01-09-2008, 11:04 PM
This message just came through one of my meetups. The first part is from the new PA coordinator. The second part is what the meetup organizer wrote. I don't even know what to make of this. Do we just give up and stop posting signs?

New Meetup Message <info@meetup.com> wrote:
Bill Faust sent you this message from Hazleton Area Ron Paul
2008 Meetup Group on Meetup.com:

----------------------------------------------------------------
I received a call today from John xxxxxx, Sugar Loaf
Chief of Police xxx.xxx.xxxx He complained about RP signs,
saying that there were time frames for putting them up. I told
him that I did not know the group responsible (I don't), but
that I would be happy to contact a couple of meetup groups and
pass along his complaint. He said that he would arrest anyone
caught putting up the signs.

Just passing along some information.

Bill Faust

===========================================

There have been signs throughout the area since May, and as far as I'm aware, no one has ever complained. Heck, a state police car drove past a group of supporters who were putting banners on an overpass and never even bothered to stop. Until last week, some of the same signs that were put up along Rt 93 in July were still there. They disappeared within the past week. I've noticed the large homemade signs popping up (and quickly disappearing) along Rt 93 over the past few weeks as well.

I intend to look further into the legalities of posting political signs on public property in the township - but until we have definite answers, I regretably have to recommend that everyone refrain from posting signs in Sugarloaf Township. Private property is still fair game, provided that you have the permission of the property owner.

Feel free to contact Xxxx Xxxxxx with any questions regarding the Sugarloaf Township ordinances - just please keep it respectful and remember that if you mention Ron Paul, your actions are a reflection on the campaign.

Perhaps it's time that we get a massive sign waving event set up in the township...

cien750hp
01-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Aclu

tfelice
01-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Just curious, do you not believe that the citizens of a township through their elected officials can create an ordiance regarding the posting of signage on public property?

RSLudlum
01-09-2008, 11:08 PM
We had an officer show up at our local HQ and told us that we weren't allow to post signs within the downtown Charleston area....no biggey just don't use official campaign signs and don't get caught ;)

freedominnumbers
01-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Tell the cop nothing and keep posting signs.

Anyone posting signs should be aware of this risk even without an overt threat.

McDermit
01-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Just curious, do you not believe that the citizens of a township through their elected officials can create an ordiance regarding the posting of signage on public property?

:rolleyes:

If it were happening across the board from the beginning, no problem. But this sounds like someone just doesn't like RP. We've had signs up for MONTHS. No problems. Other campaigns still have signs up all over the place from our Nov 6th elections. No one is taking those down. There have been "NO QUARRY" political message signs all over for years. No one touches those.

They're targeting us.

RSLudlum
01-09-2008, 11:14 PM

They're targeting us.

They hates us because we're FREE!! :p

tfelice
01-09-2008, 11:14 PM

If it were happening across the board from the beginning, no problem. But this sounds like someone just doesn't like RP. We've had signs up for MONTHS. No problems. Other campaigns still have signs up all over the place from our Nov 6th elections. No one is taking those down.

They're targeting us.

It's quite possible that it is an ordinance that isn't enforced until someone makes a complaint. I am sure the local police don't keep record of when a sign goes up and when one comes down. So likley someone has reported it.

Are you certain that none of the other campaigns have been contacted?

McDermit
01-09-2008, 11:18 PM
It's quite possible that it is an ordinance that isn't enforced until someone makes a complaint. I am sure the local police don't keep record of when a sign goes up and when one comes down. So likley someone has reported it.

Are you certain that none of the other campaigns have been contacted?

I know for certain that the No Quarry group has never been contacted. We're a part of that one.

And the No Quarry signs have literally been around for years, with new ones going up all over the place any time the quarry issue goes back to court (which is every couple months.)

tfelice
01-09-2008, 11:21 PM
Well then I would talk to your township officials then. Tell them that the law is being selectively enforced. That you would be happy to comply provided that all the other signs are removed.

Good luck with it.

hummtide
01-09-2008, 11:28 PM
DO what I did, make 500 ron paul signs for around $60 after tax on 70lb cardstock, then staple them to poles and trees.. comes to around 11 cents a sign.. and they go up quickly and are dirt cheap!

Edward
01-09-2008, 11:32 PM
They hates us because we're FREE!! :p*lol*

Cindy
01-09-2008, 11:38 PM
You'd think people caught doing it would just be asked to take it down and get told about the ordinance.

Arrested , over a harmless presidential campaign sign on public property during an election year??

That's extreme and a waste of tax dollars.

McDermit
01-09-2008, 11:48 PM
You'd think people caught doing it would just be asked to take it down and get told about the ordinance.

Arrested , over a harmless presidential campaign sign on public property during an election year??

That's extreme and a waste of tax dollars.

That's what I'm thinking. Even threat of a fine would sound reasonable. But arrested? I'm calling tomorrow to ask about this ordinance... it must be something insane.

I just talked to our organizer about it.. and she said this is the same chief of police who was in trouble a couple years ago for refusing to let a disabled woman's guide dog into the town hall and planning/zoning meetings. :rolleyes:

McDermit
01-09-2008, 11:49 PM
They hates us because we're FREE!! :p
haha

Ronin
01-09-2008, 11:49 PM
Just carry around a copy of the legislation the RP introduced regarding the tax writeoff for vests. Oh, and remind them of his endorsements.

I would just call the chief of police and make him aware of the situation and of course tell him all the goodies about RP. See if he'll put out a memo to all the officers.

McDermit
01-09-2008, 11:50 PM
Well then I would talk to your township officials then. Tell them that the law is being selectively enforced. That you would be happy to comply provided that all the other signs are removed.

Good luck with it.

Thanks. Once I see the actual ordinance, I'll know more about how I want to respond. But based on what I know as of tonight, this whole thing seems ridiculous.

McDermit
01-10-2008, 10:46 AM
I just got hung up on when I called and asked where I could find the ordinance or statute. This is going to be fun. :rolleyes:

McDermit
01-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Another meetup member tried calling and was also hung up on.

wow.

unloud
01-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Does someone know the legalities of this? If it's legal and the police are still making threats I would file a restraining order against the police.

McDermit
01-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Does someone know the legalities of this? If it's legal and the police are still making threats I would file a restraining order against the police.

We're trying to find the local ordinance so we can find out. But it's not available online, and the police station keeps hanging up on anyone who calls to ask what statute/ordinance is being violated.

mohnd
01-10-2008, 11:43 AM
http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/speech/personal/topic.aspx?topic=yard_signs

if you look at the bottom there are specific case. In summary, yard signs on private property are ok. Publc property, unknown.

Dan

scooter
01-10-2008, 11:49 AM
If they are on public property and that town has an ordinance against it, then it's definitely fine for them to ask that they not be put up. Just like it's not okay to grafiti some public property.

However, if they fail to show the ordinance, then you have a right to be mad.

runderwo
01-10-2008, 11:50 AM

Of course they can, but not allowing political signs would be a terrible policy if it's public property. Another measure of protection for the establishment, and especially if it's the same establishment that has relieved you of your own property so you have nowhere to post them legally.

mconder
01-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Arrest me.

UtahApocalypse
01-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Wow!

First off if were me I would continue to post the signs, and hope to be arrested. If a ordinance does exist (hard to find out when even the city has been hanging up on you) and it is a law biased to political signage, or time and place those laws have been shown time and time again to be unconstitutional. This seems more like a cop trying to enforce his own illusions of grandeur to me.

RPFP
01-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Sounds to me like they need a new chief of police there. I cant believe they threatened to arrest people, thats dumb. I can see a small fine, like a disorderly conduct or something. Dont fret man, just wear black clothes and put the signs up at night. Poop on that popo.

McDermit
01-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Sounds to me like they need a new chief of police there. I cant believe they threatened to arrest people, thats dumb. I can see a small fine, like a disorderly conduct or something. Dont fret man, just wear black clothes and put the signs up at night. Poop on that popo.

We had a group putting signs up last night (before the warning email.) When I drove past this afternoon, ALL had been taken down.

I never expected this crap to happen in our little rural-ish area. Sucks.

We're going to plan a big sign wave in the township a week or two out. Hopefully we can get some other area groups to participate as a big FU to the chief.

runderwo
01-10-2008, 02:52 PM
We had a group putting signs up last night (before the warning email.) When I drove past this afternoon, ALL had been taken down.

Keep putting them up, then wait for some important crime to go ignored thanks to their misallocation of resources. Then put out a press release.

unloud
01-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Some other ideas:

1) Record a video of the signs to find out who is removing them. Chances are good that it is the police.
2) Go down to the police station and ask them directly. If no answer is given, ask for a supervisor up the ranks. If no ordinance is there, threaten to sue for harassment and false threats of imprisonment. Nobody can hang up on you if you are there in person; also, make sure that supervisors know you were hung up on.
3) Talk to news outlets, pass out flyers, get the word out that your candidate is specifically being targeted.

BravoSix
01-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Allow me to weigh in, if I may.

I'm a police officer in Pennsylvania.

Some towns have ordinances restricting political signs to specific times of the year. These ordinances are unconstitutional, and have been ruled as such by the US Supreme Court. However, these little municipalities likely have no clue about that case that applies to this, and they feel they can do as they please....and will do so until challenged.

Now, it is entirely possible you could be physically arrested for violating this ordinance, BUT it is highly unlikely. It would be looked down upon by the Judge as the "sentence" would be nothing more than a fine.

Now, posting on utility poles using "nails or other hard tack substances" is a violation of a state statute. It would seem that using zip ties, rope, or tape would be fine on utility poles.

Just FYI......

ceakins
01-10-2008, 06:56 PM

Some towns have ordinances restricting political signs to specific times of the year. These ordinances are unconstitutional, and have been ruled as such by the US Supreme Court. However, these little municipalities likely have no clue about that case that applies to this, and they feel they can do as they please....and will do so until challenged.

Now, it is entirely possible you could be physically arrested for violating this ordinance, BUT it is highly unlikely. It would be looked down upon by the Judge as the "sentence" would be nothing more than a fine.

Now, posting on utility poles using "nails or other hard tack substances" is a violation of a state statute. It would seem that using zip ties, rope, or tape would be fine on utility poles.

Just FYI......

Thanks for speaking up. I would also suggest contacting the ACLU ASAP. They are the one that have gotten these stupid ordinances turned over. Wish people would realize they have the right to free speech but don't have the right not to be offended.

JustBcuz
01-10-2008, 06:57 PM

I never expected this crap to happen in our little rural-ish area. Sucks.

We're going to plan a big sign wave in the township a week or two out. Hopefully we can get some other area groups to participate as a big FU to the chief.

Do it right across the street from the police station.

Is the chief elected? If he is you might want to mention to him that you have X number of HIGHLY politically active residents that aren't too pleased with him, and WILL remember him come re-election time.

McDermit
01-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Hrm. Still no luck getting help finding the ordinance over the phone. I'm going to try to get down there on Monday.

If that doesn't work, the municipal building should have the ordinance available... I have to get down there to renew a building permit anyways.

Word has it (according to a meetup member) that the chief who contacted us is now off duty with a busted knee. And he's appointed, unfortunately.

dude58677
01-11-2008, 07:04 PM
This message just came through one of my meetups. The first part is from the new PA coordinator. The second part is what the meetup organizer wrote. I don't even know what to make of this. Do we just give up and stop posting signs?

New Meetup Message <info@meetup.com> wrote:
Bill Faust sent you this message from Hazleton Area Ron Paul
2008 Meetup Group on Meetup.com:

----------------------------------------------------------------
I received a call today from John xxxxxx, Sugar Loaf
Chief of Police xxx.xxx.xxxx He complained about RP signs,
saying that there were time frames for putting them up. I told
him that I did not know the group responsible (I don't), but
that I would be happy to contact a couple of meetup groups and
pass along his complaint. He said that he would arrest anyone
caught putting up the signs.

Just passing along some information.

Bill Faust

===========================================

There have been signs throughout the area since May, and as far as I'm aware, no one has ever complained. Heck, a state police car drove past a group of supporters who were putting banners on an overpass and never even bothered to stop. Until last week, some of the same signs that were put up along Rt 93 in July were still there. They disappeared within the past week. I've noticed the large homemade signs popping up (and quickly disappearing) along Rt 93 over the past few weeks as well.

I intend to look further into the legalities of posting political signs on public property in the township - but until we have definite answers, I regretably have to recommend that everyone refrain from posting signs in Sugarloaf Township. Private property is still fair game, provided that you have the permission of the property owner.

Feel free to contact Xxxx Xxxxxx with any questions regarding the Sugarloaf Township ordinances - just please keep it respectful and remember that if you mention Ron Paul, your actions are a reflection on the campaign.

Perhaps it's time that we get a massive sign waving event set up in the township...

Post it on the cops property. Tell them to shove it up their ass.

dude58677
01-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Hrm. Still no luck getting help finding the ordinance over the phone. I'm going to try to get down there on Monday.

If that doesn't work, the municipal building should have the ordinance available... I have to get down there to renew a building permit anyways.

Word has it (according to a meetup member) that the chief who contacted us is now off duty with a busted knee. And he's appointed, unfortunately.

Seriously, don't play their stupid game. Post the sign anyway and even post it on the cops property. Ron Paul promotes civil disobedience.

McDermit
01-11-2008, 07:15 PM
The more I look into this, the more I want to fight it.

This Chief has been sued more than 5 times since 2000 - all for Civil Rights violations. A female officer has a pending case against the department for $150k. A couple years ago, he kept kicking a woman and her service dog out of public meetings. List goes on.

McDermit
01-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Seriously, don't play their stupid game. Post the sign anyway and even post it on the cops property. Ron Paul promotes civil disobedience.

lol. I don't know where he lives...and regardless, we shouldn't be placing stuff on private property without permission. But public property is fair game, imo. This is bull.

We made a special batch of 20 signs last night that all have cute little messages on the back of them. The only person who will see them is the person taking them down. And they all say "Not authorized by candidate or candidate's committee."

FreeTraveler
01-11-2008, 07:25 PM
lol. I don't know where he lives...and regardless, we shouldn't be placing stuff on private property without permission. But public property is fair game, imo. This is bull.

We made a special batch of 20 signs last night that all have cute little messages on the back of them. The only person who will see them is the person taking them down. And they all say "Not authorized by candidate or candidate's committee."

I've got a better suggestion for a message on the back.

"Tick, Tick, Tick... Hope you can run fast!"

Scare the krap out of them and they might leave the signs alone. :D

McDermit
01-11-2008, 07:28 PM
I've got a better suggestion for a message on the back.

"Tick, Tick, Tick... Hope you can run fast!"

Scare the krap out of them and they might leave the signs alone. :D
lol. let me go get some gloves first!

haha. i'm not TRYING to get myself arrested. :p

Although, the Crisco/Vaseline idea has crossed my mind...

Agent CSL
01-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Start putting up Rudy signs...

But, seriously, that isn't right. They can take down the signs but to arrest someone? Going way beyond what needs to be done. Maybe a verbal warning referring to Law #xxx.

McDermit
01-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Start putting up Rudy signs...

But, seriously, that isn't right. They can take down the signs but to arrest someone? Going way beyond what needs to be done. Maybe a verbal warning referring to Law #xxx.

Exactly. They didn't even reference the statute or explain the timeframe, nothing. And won't respond when we call to inquire.

I'm thinking of putting up the RP signs below or next to the NO QUARRY signs and taking pics, just to document that our signs are being targeted while the QUARRY signs are being left alone.

Thomas Paine
01-11-2008, 07:33 PM

Just FYI......

Great insight! Thank you!

McDermit
01-11-2008, 07:43 PM

Just FYI......Thank you for the post! I was under the impression that signs on public property WERE allowed to be limited.

rajibo
01-11-2008, 08:03 PM
If you get caught, just get caught while using bad grammar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsawP_Ew0r4

Edu
01-11-2008, 08:16 PM
This Chief has been sued more than 5 times since 2000 - all for Civil Rights violations. A female officer has a pending case against the department for $150k. A couple years ago, he kept kicking a woman and her service dog out of public meetings. List goes on.Start a recall petition.
It's not that hard, go look up the rules, I know a group of about 40 people who did it, it's not that hard and it really sends a message to other politicians and when it happened the new guys who wanted to get elected came by our group as guest speakers.
Kick the bastards out! They are costing your county money! Violating the constitution etc...

Second thing, find the law and shove it in their face, put them on notice. Send in lots of notices.

Third, find the people who have property near the roadways and ask politely (and hope you can get them to vote for President Paul).

McDermit
01-11-2008, 09:15 PM
lol. The meetup organizer is super paranoid now. She just sent me a text titled "Color me paranoid."

She's on a rural road. Maybe 10 cars go past her house a day, and she knows all of them. So when she saw a car crawl past the house a few mins ago, she went to look out the window. As she looks out, there's a cop car pulling out of her driveway. She couldn't make out the writing on it, but is convinced it was the township police. lol.

What would they even be doing though? I don't get it. Maybe we are living in a police state after all.

McDermit
01-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Start a recall petition.
It's not that hard, go look up the rules, I know a group of about 40 people who did it, it's not that hard and it really sends a message to other politicians and when it happened the new guys who wanted to get elected came by our group as guest speakers.
Kick the bastards out! They are costing your county money! Violating the constitution etc...

Second thing, find the law and shove it in their face, put them on notice. Send in lots of notices.

Third, find the people who have property near the roadways and ask politely (and hope you can get them to vote for President Paul).
Can you recall an appointed chief though?

I wish I lived on a main road so I could record them stealing signs off my property.

Edu
01-11-2008, 09:51 PM
lol. The meetup organizer is super paranoid now. She just sent me a text titled "Color me paranoid."

She's on a rural road. Maybe 10 cars go past her house a day, and she knows all of them. So when she saw a car crawl past the house a few mins ago, she went to look out the window. As she looks out, there's a cop car pulling out of her driveway. She couldn't make out the writing on it, but is convinced it was the township police. lol.

What would they even be doing though? I don't get it. Maybe we are living in a police state after all.One time I was sort of raising hell for some reason (via paperwork filings) and I got a visit from the fire department, doing an outside "inspection" (issue had nothing to do with the fire dept). No one else got inspected. Wasn't a big deal, they just wanted to show me they had friends that could hassle me.

Once you start a recall and it looks serious, they may try some dirty tricks or they may realize they are in deep dodo and back off and behave. Depends on how much of a jerk this guy and his friends are.

And you should check on how you can remove this guy, someone like that should be elected, maybe that's the angle, if you find a state law or the State constitution that demands it.

If not, recall the Sheriff, let him know the reason why. He's the top law enforcement official and he has to delegate authority to any police department and he DIRECTLY responsible. He is your constitutional officer for your county. Watch that guy get fired real quick! These guys will save their asses at any cost.

Oh, and remember, all these guys are federal, yea you heard me right, they all fly the battle flag of the U.S. Government. You know it because the American flag isn't YELLOW (red, white, blue and yellow). They are all a subdivision of the federal government, check it out for yourself. But no matter what, they have to follow the constitution, it created them and it controls them.

McDermit
01-12-2008, 06:19 PM
So the ex gave me a call today after her sign wave a few towns away (same county.)

The cops came after about 4 hours, and told everyone they had to leave unless they had a permit. Seems to me like someone in the county gave the local cops the go ahead to be complete dicks to RP supporters. "Color me paranoid."

Cyclone
01-12-2008, 06:33 PM

Thank you! It is about time that someone recognized the ability of the citizens to create ordinances!

That said, I called in my town to find out what the laws are and found out that the statutes had been changed by case law which I never would have found by a search on the Internet. Turns out here, that the county has decided it goes against the first amendment right of free speech to have any restrictions on signs.

Sadly, we have an election in March for mayor and overnight our lovely community looks like hell due to huge 4 x 8 signs on every square foot of open space. Now the signs have been up for a while, they are all tattered and filthy and our neighborhood looks awful. What I wouldn't do to have some restrictions back.

But our police don't know the laws and they act contrary to what the legislature has decided. Perhaps your police need to find out what the laws are.

Carl Corey
01-12-2008, 06:40 PM
If you see a Huckabee/Romney/McCain/etc sign on public property call the cops and ask them to remove the Ron Paul ;) sign at the given locations.

That ought to keep them busy.

sgrooms
01-12-2008, 06:42 PM
post the number for the police department. i'm sure we could help make some phone calls to them.

Bloody Holly
01-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Ron Paul does not just endorse civil disobedience. He does promote challenging the law but knowing there are consequences. Also, be careful.

If Ron Paul supporters are arrested, I don't see how that is going to help Ron Paul win. Especially if in the future they start screening and doing more background checks.

You may not like that and want to hear YEAH, DON'T BE CAREFUL JUST DO IT!!!

Please be smart. If Ron Paul supporters are behind bars...well you do the math.

I do think it's great the banners that wave from overpasses. Some people may roll their eyes and think oh what a bunch of disresptful kooks but I think eventually it's going to make people wonder who Ron Paul is.

Don't go overboard. Think of what could be used against you in the future when it comes time to vote.

People are taking notes of what kind of supporters Ron Paul brings in. So far the majority that the news speaks of are young white males.

This is another reason why it would be smart to expand our diversity. Think of how you would want others to treat you.

The reason being is that if people peg all young male supporters as Ron Paul supporters to play it safe, they will do background checks on you and hold what they find against you.

bbachtung
01-12-2008, 08:38 PM
FADE IN

Interior of a jail, with several men in a cell.

Inmate #2: What are you in for, bud?

Inmate #1: I raped several women.

Inmate #2: How long did you get?

Inmate #1: A life sentence, but Governor Huckabee's sending over my pardon paperwork now because I've found Jesus.

Inmate #2 (to Inmate #3): So, what are you in for, pal?

Inmate #3: I support Ron Paul and put up some of his signs.

Inmates #1: You sick bastard. You degraded the beauty of the neighborhood of my last victim.

Bloody Holly
01-12-2008, 08:42 PM
FADE IN

Inmate #1: A life sentence, but Governor Huckabee's sending over my pardon paperwork now because I've found Jesus.

Inmates #1: You sick bastard. You degraded the beauty of the neighborhood of my last victim.

lol. I like your humor! Send this to South Park.

McDermit
01-12-2008, 08:52 PM
FADE IN

lol.

McDermit
01-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Ron Paul does not just endorse civil disobedience. He does promote challenging the law but knowing there are consequences. Also, be careful.

If Ron Paul supporters are arrested, I don't see how that is going to help Ron Paul win. Especially if in the future they start screening and doing more background checks.

You may not like that and want to hear YEAH, DON'T BE CAREFUL JUST DO IT!!!

Please be smart. If Ron Paul supporters are behind bars...well you do the math.

I do think it's great the banners that wave from overpasses. Some people may roll their eyes and think oh what a bunch of disresptful kooks but I think eventually it's going to make people wonder who Ron Paul is.

Don't go overboard. Think of what could be used against you in the future when it comes time to vote.

People are taking notes of what kind of supporters Ron Paul brings in. So far the majority that the news speaks of are young white males.

This is another reason why it would be smart to expand our diversity. Think of how you would want others to treat you.

The reason being is that if people peg all young male supporters as Ron Paul supporters to play it safe, they will do background checks on you and hold what they find against you.
I have no clue why you're going on about young white males. Most of our local supporters are older, and a darn good number of the are female. And I'm Hispanic.. lol, so there goes the white part!

Personally, I'm working on finding the actual ordinance before doing anything else. The meetup organizer recommended that the rest of the group do the same, but she also suggested in her email that we do something big to give the township a big FU. (Pretty sure she was thinking a sign wave or something with all the area groups coming out.)

Anyways...

THIS BEAUTIFUL, AMAZING SIGN POPPED UP IN THE CENTER OF THE TOWNSHIP TODAY! It's GORGEOUS. And HUGE! Hanging from the mountains over THE major highway through the township. I wanted to jump up and down and scream like a schoolgirl when I saw it. It jumps out at you from all directions. If you come off the ramp, BAM! in your face. If you're coming up the mountain.. HEYO, SIGN IN YOUR FACE! Coming don the mountain... WHAMMO! There it is! It's the perfect location. Perfect.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/994/jan12021ya9.jpg

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/2882/jan12022vf8.jpg

We have no clue who put it up, or when. It wasn't there yesterday, but someone called my ex this afternoon and told her to go take a drive through the area - saying "I don't know how they did it, but you've gotta see this!" Seriously, whoever did this deserves a medal. It's a big, giant middle finger waving in their faces. It's AMAZING, and it's pretty obvious that it was done with a purpose. I love it.

Bloody Holly
01-12-2008, 09:10 PM
"Personally, I'm working on finding the actual ordinance before doing anything else. The meetup organizer recommended that the rest of the group do the same, but she also suggested in her email that we do something big to give the township a big FU. (Pretty sure she was thinking a sign wave or something with all the area groups coming out.)"

Smart move.

xerxesdarius
01-12-2008, 09:13 PM
I love the cliff sign. When will our opponents understand that our movement THRIVES on adversity?

freedom-maniac
01-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Tell the cop nothing and keep posting signs.

Anyone posting signs should be aware of this risk even without an overt threat.

If they hassel you even more, turn this into a 1st Amendment case and get it taken to the Supreme Court.

Or you can call the sheiriff, complain, and then threaten to use your full power as Paulites to keep him from getting reelected.

unloud
01-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Any news?

AMeredith
01-12-2008, 09:40 PM
The cops came after about 4 hours, and told everyone they had to leave unless they had a permit. Seems to me like someone in the county gave the local cops the go ahead to be complete dicks to RP supporters. "Color me paranoid."

Nah, I think it was probably a Hillary supporter pissed at all of the cars stopping for slim jims, CDs and voter registration forms. It's state land; we'll check into the permit thing and stay off of the median strip for now.

Beautiful sign... great work, guys! That's worth a drive down to see.

McDermit
01-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Nah, I think it was probably a Hillary supporter pissed at all of the cars stopping for slim jims, CDs and voter registration forms. It's state land; we'll check into the permit thing and stay off of the median strip for now.

Beautiful sign... great work, guys! That's worth a drive down to see.

Hi there. Not sure if I've met you yet, as I wasn't able to make the sign wave and haven't been to very many of the Luzerne County group's meetups. But Amy got a call from Rob already. The lot is fair game, no permit needed. He'll have a copy of the local laws available at the next sign wave. :D

I'd stay off the median though. That or being on the paved part of the road could be considered traffic hazards.

Still no word on the sign ordinance in Sugar Loaf, but we should have it by Monday night, one way or the other.

AMeredith
01-12-2008, 10:00 PM
But Amy got a call from Rob already. The lot is fair game, no permit needed. He'll have a copy of the local laws available at the next sign wave. :D

Great! I'll have to brave the Arctic blast next week for a little while, at least. The message lives!

McDermit
01-14-2008, 02:46 PM
One of our meetup members, who happens to be deaf, just emailed me.

He had just called the police station using ip-relay because, as far as he knows, the station doesn't have a Video Phone line. He was planning on asking about the ordinance. It rang, and then someone answered and said "If they want to place this call they can call me direct using a real phone." And then hung up.

What the helllllllllll. I told him to contact the ACLU immediately, but he said he doesn't want to cause trouble. This is insanity. Apparently our cops ARE complete dicks. Yeah, let's just hang up on the disabled since they can't use a "real phone."