PDA

View Full Version : Marketing: Stress Benefits (not Attributes)

amakris
01-09-2008, 10:45 PM
I'm doing some reading for class and I came across this gem:

"One study found that novices and experts process similar amounts of information but in different ways. Experts were able to process information stated in terms of attributes (what the product has--such as a Pentium chip), whereas novices could do so only when the information was stated in terms of benefits (what the product can do for the consumer--such as enhance efficiency). Still, novices may be able to process information when marketers provide a helpful analogy. In particular, an analogy will be persuasive when consumers have the ability to transfer ther knowledge of one product's attributes to an unfamiliar product and can allocate the resources needed to process this mapping."

Source: Hoyer/MacInnis. Consumer Behavior. pg 65.

Apply that to the Ron Paul campaign. Rather than talking *exclusively* in the language of attributes and beliefs, talk about the benefits provided:

A Paul presidency will...

...allow gas to be $3.00 next year and $3.00 the year after that.

...rid you of the fear that your sons or daughters being drafted.

...make you proud to be part of a country that doesn't stoop to the level of torture.

...preserve the value of your social security check. (<-- This one is huge. Old people that I talk to doesn't understand Paul's argument.)

...allow you to spend more time with your loved ones instead of workings longer hours to pay the government.

...help your job survive instead of giving an unfair advantage to companies with lobbyists.

This sentences are worded as *benefits* NOT attributes.

Matt Collins
01-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Exactly.

Features vs benefits.

I have a thread that is stickied on how to market Ron Paul.

slowmotionjones
01-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Bump for truth.

amakris
01-09-2008, 11:04 PM
Exactly.

Features vs benefits.

I have a thread that is stickied on how to market Ron Paul.

We agree, Matt. But the campaign isn't *doing* this. We, the supporters, can do this til the cows come home but we need our *leadership* to clue in. I'm asking this in the most positive way possible. I want to succeed!