PDA

View Full Version : Governor Huckabee favors a federal ban on tobacco!

noztnac
01-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Tobacco is South Carolina's number one crop.

Governor Huckabee favors a federal ban on tobacco!

Right now most South Carolinians don't know about Huckabee's position on tobacco.

We need to inform them.

kill the banks
01-09-2008, 10:12 PM

Right now most South Carolinians don't know about Huckabee's position on tobacco.

We need to inform them.

link please & thx

kill the banks

Unspun
01-09-2008, 10:12 PM
link please & thx

kill the banks

http://news.aol.com/elections-blog/2007/08/30/huckabee-commits-to-nationwide-smoking-ban/

kill the banks
01-09-2008, 10:13 PM
if true you tube this to # 1

kill the banks

noztnac
01-09-2008, 10:15 PM
SC Tobacco Growers Association

Johnny Shelley, President
7150 Hwy. 917
Nichols, SC 29581
(843) 392-1501
shellyfarms@aol.com

chipvogel
01-09-2008, 10:19 PM

We need to inform them.

and how Huckabee thinks its ok to "modify behavior" of free people

perrin_for_paul
01-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Hate to split hairs, but I'm just trying to help :)

Cotton is SC's largest crop (according to the info I've seen), and not too many people in SC care about the stat's tobacco production. NC is more about the tobacco. SC is 5th in the Nation in tabacco production. SC does like their smokes, though, so that is a good point.

Lots of voters in SC, especially older voters, just like Huckabee because he was a minister. That's the only reason for many of them. They think he has some kind of higher moral ground because of it. Getting the SC vote will literally hinge on showing people that there is another candidate who is not only a good moral citizen, but also know how to really fix this country.

Just my 2 cents.

chipvogel
01-09-2008, 10:41 PM

Cotton is SC's largest crop (according to the info I've seen), and not too many people in SC care about the stat's tobacco production. NC is more about the tobacco. SC is 5th in the Nation in tabacco production. SC does like their smokes, though, so that is a good point.

Lots of voters in SC, especially older voters, just like Huckabee because he was a minister. That's the only reason for many of them. They think he has some kind of higher moral ground because of it. Getting the SC vote will literally hinge on showing people that there is another candidate who is not only a good moral citizen, but also know how to really fix this country.

Just my 2 cents.

I don't think there is much to sway people who vote on faith issues. Does Pat Robertson endorsing Rudy impact their view at all?

AlbemarleNC0003
01-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Does anyone have a better link than an aol blog?

I have family in SC that grow tobacco and smoke. I need real info. Thanks.

perrin_for_paul
01-09-2008, 10:51 PM
I don't think there is much to sway people who vote on faith issues. Does Pat Robertson endorsing Rudy impact their view at all?

You're right that its not easy to sway the faith votes, but it can be done. I don't think that a lot of people here know much about Ron Paul at all, and what they hear doesn't make mention of him being a true conservative, married to the same women for 50 years, and from a family of ministers. I think if more people knew that about him, and that he was concerned about keeping the Federal government out of the business of the states, he would have much more support from rural SC. States Rights is still a very large issue here.

Pat Robertson's endorsement doesn't mean much in SC because Rudy = New York and for a good many Southerners, New York = not good.

Ethek
01-09-2008, 11:33 PM
The guy has no idea about the constitution.

noztnac
01-10-2008, 12:06 AM

Just my 2 cents.

Tobacco and cotton are about even in terms of revenue generated. I went to high school in Conway. In your part of the state cotton is grown. In the upstate it's all cotton. Everyone in the upstate who grows tobacco thinks it is very important. I went to a church in Conway where almost every single member was a tobacco grower.

noztnac
01-10-2008, 12:08 AM
http://www.ers.usda.gov/Data/CostsAndReturns/Images/Tobacco.gif

perrin_for_paul
01-10-2008, 12:49 AM
Tobacco and cotton are about even in terms of revenue generated. I went to high school in Conway. In your part of the state cotton is grown. In the upstate it's all cotton. Everyone in the upstate who grows tobacco thinks it is very important. I went to a church in Conway where almost every single member was a tobacco grower.

That is a good point. I should have phrased better. I was trying to make the point that, while it is good information to have out in the open, I think there are other issues that would resonate with a larger majority of SC voters, and would maybe be more productive to use for focus.

I admit my ignorance...thanks for the insight :)

specsaregood
01-10-2008, 12:54 AM
Does anyone have a better link than an aol blog?

I have family in SC that grow tobacco and smoke. I need real info. Thanks.

He said he supports a nationwide tobacco ban in a forum in IA with lance armstrong.

coffeewithchess
01-10-2008, 01:33 AM
Huckabee has reached the evangelicals in South Carolina...if Ron Paul doesn't reach out to these people, my prediction is Huckabee will sweep South Carolina. Evangelicals(I'm one myself) for the most part are ignorant people...I prefer to us(Evangelicals on a whole, not all) as SHEEPLE. So you can keep pushing the "banning tobacco" issue in SC, but it will only strengthen Huckabee's base...not weaken.

noztnac
01-10-2008, 01:51 AM
Huckabee has reached the evangelicals in South Carolina...if Ron Paul doesn't reach out to these people, my prediction is Huckabee will sweep South Carolina. Evangelicals(I'm one myself) for the most part are ignorant people...I prefer to us(Evangelicals on a whole, not all) as SHEEPLE. So you can keep pushing the "banning tobacco" issue in SC, but it will only strengthen Huckabee's base...not weaken.

I never implied that we should only push the tobacco thing. It's one of many issues. You are right that another very important issue is the evangelicals. Since you are one and I'm not what do you think would be a good strategy for winning them over?

coffeewithchess
01-10-2008, 02:18 AM
I never implied that we should only push the tobacco thing. It's one of many issues. You are right that another very important issue is the evangelicals. Since you are one and I'm not what do you think would be a good strategy for winning them over?

Chuck Baldwin articles are very good to pass out. I'm working on something right now that I think would be great if it works...I have to get Chuck Baldwin's permission first though before I can go forward. I should have an answer tomorrow!

Bladestunner316
01-10-2008, 02:22 AM
coffeeewithchess,
If you can post it in the thread on reaching evangelicals I started it would be awsome if we could have it so it automatically pops up as an image in an email.

blade

Bladestunner316
01-10-2008, 02:24 AM
Regardless of percentage of tobacco farming this info should be put out to huckabee supporters.

Not only does he not want to lift sanctions on cuba so we cant get cuban cigars he wants to ban me from smoking the ones I have!!!!!

Razmear
01-10-2008, 03:57 AM
Video:
http://dontvote4.us/2007/09/01/huckabee-calls-for-national-smoking-ban-in-public-places/

eb

Sarge
01-10-2008, 06:57 AM
Here is an article on Huck and smoking ban so all see it and use it. Good luck.

http://news.aol.com/elections-blog/2007/08/30/huckabee-commits-to-nationwide-smoking-ban/