PDA

View Full Version : ** ALERT!! ** Voting Machine Computer Chips "lost" on their way to California

NoMoreApathy
01-09-2008, 08:50 PM
http://www.sacbee.com/111/story/581009.html

A shipment of 174 computer chips vital to ballot-counting machines was sent from the secretary of state's office to San Diego County last week – but disappeared in transit.

Nobody knows whether the chips, which enable optical-scan computers to read paper ballots, were stolen or simply dropped out of two cardboard tubes holding them.

Officials are scratching their heads.

"When the tubes arrived at our office, one was missing a cap and was completely empty," said Deborah Seiler, San Diego County registrar of voters.

"The other tube had its cap on, but there was just a little piece of tape on either side – and it had been disturbed," she said. "It was also empty."

(More at the link...)

This happened on Dec. 20, and regardless of what this article says, or the people involved, this puts the whole California primary into question now.

NO MORE FUCKING MACHINES!!!!!!!

hellsingfan
01-09-2008, 08:56 PM
bump. California is TOO IMPORTANT, it is one of the largest DELEGATE states. Fuck this start a PETITION NOW, SCARE THE living daylights out of the current management to get this shit to paper ballot, and let them know we will file a lawsuit if this was not taken care of.

FrankRep
01-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Youtube: Lou Dobbs - Diebold Voting Machine Hacking (Very Easy to do)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=261IlYmisyE

freedominnumbers
01-09-2008, 09:05 PM
What this tells me is that now somebody has 174 copies of a CLOSED SOURCE program to reverse engineer. This means that only the person in possession of the chips who may reverse engineer their application and the designers who are not willing to open their source code know if the code is exploitable and how to do so. Neither party has any incentive to be honest since one would incur a financial hardship and the other stands to win an election.

NoMoreApathy
01-09-2008, 09:08 PM
This is an outrage.

I saw a thread here that claimed California won't be using machines, but this happened in December, and that thread's source was from May.

Apparently, according to what happened as reported in this article I just posted, they WILL be using machines. Maybe not EVERYWHERE, but sorry if that doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Someone in California wanna look into this?