PDA

View Full Version : We need to rethink our strategy

GregVernon
01-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Well guys, as we have clearly seen our current strategy of promoting Paul isn't working, especially considering the not so great performance in New Hampshire.

My idea is, at least for the next few days, when we are canvassing rather than promote Paul we need to find out who people are voting for and most importantly, WHY they are voting for that particular person.

From what I have seen from the NH results, a lot of the McCain supporters didn't decide on McCain until very shortly before they voted. Therefore, we also need to figure out why people haven't decided on a candidate.

I know this is kind of a weird thing to find out, but before we find a solution to the lack of Paul votes, we need to find out the problem.

TruthLiberates
01-09-2008, 08:47 PM
no, its the campaign that needs to rethink.

RP needs to get leadership going in his own HQ to show he can lead and not only talk.

Money from the donors was given in trust to HQ and not to grassroots supporters to lead the way. If only the campaign could get as robust as Clinton and Obama have with people that know what they are doing...

Scott Wilson
01-09-2008, 08:48 PM
shhhhhhhh

http://www.paulunteer.com/news-stories/remember-the-secret-plan-youre-about-to-see-it-plus-words-of-wisdom-from-your-fellow-supporters/

GregVernon
01-09-2008, 09:27 PM
no, its the campaign that needs to rethink.

RP needs to get leadership going in his own HQ to show he can lead and not only talk.

Money from the donors was given in trust to HQ and not to grassroots supporters to lead the way. If only the campaign could get as robust as Clinton and Obama have with people that know what they are doing...

While I think the campaign needs to rework some of its strategies, I'm sure the campaign is exceedingly responsible with the money I, and others, have donated.

And even though the grassroots individuals for Ron has done much more than Hillary supporters have, I think that is for the better. We know our friends much better than the campaign does. We know what issues are important to them; we know how to best convert them to paulites.

Though the campaign's actions are important on a large scale, it is really us, the grassroots supporters, which can raise the most voters.

quantized
01-09-2008, 09:31 PM
We need more women votes. The CNN exit polls show that we get the least women and older voters. This is telling. We can win this thing when half of the population is against us. I am suggesting the campaign being in some spokewomen for Ron Paul.

GregVernon
01-09-2008, 09:41 PM
We need more women votes. The CNN exit polls show that we get the least women and older voters. This is telling. We can win this thing when half of the population is against us. I am suggesting the campaign being in some spokewomen for Ron Paul.

I agree. Perhaps Mrs. Ron Paul? Carol would be great (as mentioned in another thread)

I think the fact that he has had so many kids will also be a plus once people find out about that. Most mothers are *insane* about protecting their kids.

If they hear about Ron's children/grandchildren/great grandchildren they will be more apt to support him as well.

born2drv
01-09-2008, 09:43 PM
I'll tell you why people vote the way they do. Because they're stupid sheep who will vote for who ever the media tells them is a viable candidate, or who is expected to win that state, etc.

I've lost faith in people's ability to vote based on who is best suited for the job.

RonPauledbyYoutube
01-09-2008, 09:49 PM
I'll tell you why people vote the way they do. Because they're stupid sheep who will vote for who ever the media tells them is a viable candidate, or who is expected to win that state, etc.

I've lost faith in people's ability to vote based on who is best suited for the job.

Right on bro. People have been brainwashed into the nonsense of nanny government. I think it is impossible as we are to reeducate the sheep with the resources at our disposal.

Richandler
01-09-2008, 09:52 PM
https://voters.ronpaul2008.com/grassroots/

me3
01-09-2008, 09:57 PM

Right on bro. People have been brainwashed into the nonsense of nanny government. I think it is impossible as we are to reeducate the sheep with the resources at our disposal.
The answer is simple. We haven't been targeting women or older voters. The young supporters are working on their peer group.

Blaming HQ, or declaring futility is not how things get done. Dare to think smarter when you campaign.

GregVernon
01-09-2008, 10:05 PM
If I work out a small (5-10 questions) survey would you guys be able to canvass (as I will) and try to get some results?

The survey will deal with with why people are voting for a specific candidate.

Ara825
01-09-2008, 10:12 PM
There are approximately 79 million baby boomers in the United States. ;)

GregVernon
01-10-2008, 12:02 AM
well should I take that as a no?

Goldwater Conservative
01-10-2008, 12:26 AM
Women and senior citizens. Women and senior citizens. Women and senior citizens.

Women would probably be interested to hear about Paul's opposition to not just the war but the draft, and I think framing the inflation issue he cares so deeply about in "bread and butter" terms could do wonders. Abortion isn't what's hurting them there since this is a GOP primary, and women are not disproportionately pro-choice anyway.

Senior citizens need to be told he is opposed to taking their Social Security away, and in fact wants to eliminate taxes on Social Security benefits. Also, the inflation issue is very important to them since it's extremely damaging to retirees living on fixed incomes.

Just some ideas, but those are the demographics we were creamed on in both Iowa and New Hampshire. We would have had third and third if we were even twice as successful among those individuals. Women and senior citizens.

Edited to add: we canNOT afford to lose the anti-war vote anymore! There is no logical reason for McCain to win it by a margin of 44-19 with Paul at only 16%.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-10-2008, 12:27 AM
We can reshuffle the deck chairs on the Titanic (the GOP) or we can get off and start a real campaign for the general election.

rfbz
01-10-2008, 12:34 AM
I read that the reason McCain did so well is that he held over 100 townhall meetings giving speeches and doing Q&A with supporters and nonsupporters alike. I'm not sure how difficult it is to set these things up, but it seems like RP should be out there doing more of this type of thing.

Goldwater Conservative
01-10-2008, 12:48 AM
We can reshuffle the deck chairs on the Titanic (the GOP) or we can get off and start a real campaign for the general election.

Paul has the resources to go much, much further in the GOP primaries, and if I'm not mistaken he can't use his war chest in the general election since they were donations for the primary election.

Jumping ship now is a lot worse than letting some of the other Republicans drop out and seeing what happens (especially considering we never got to use the $20 million in the states that have gone so far). If Paul becomes the surprise last rival to one other GOP candidate, he can pick up a lot more of the vote than he has been. Maybe he can then win, and at worst he'd have a better springboard for a third party or independent run.

noztnac
01-10-2008, 12:51 AM
A two pronged attack is called for.

1. The official campaign should show families being reunited with soldiers returning from Iraq and a real hard hitting assessment of the state of the economy and economic policy.

2. An ad company apart from the official campaign should start making bold, graphic anti-war ads and tie the war to those candidates who supported the war.

Here is another thread with more details:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=74702

GregVernon
01-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Well, I was more trying to say our grassroots strategy needs to change. Let the HQ deal with campaign strategy on a national level, we need to fix our local strategies...

DMINATOR
01-10-2008, 01:04 PM
I think that the most powerful strategy would be to focus on the local areas. As small as a county or town.

As the results has shown the "Ron Paul people are all over the contry". This is the biggest advantage over any other candidate that grassroots supporters could use. Some topics here also discuss the impact of local advertisment on the final numbers within county. I have no doubt that it is the only way it would be possible to win. Advertisment itself doesn't help much because everyone else is also advertising so the impact from it is minimum.

My idea is to educate your local folks yourself. The personal contact always makes the biggest impacts on any person if it is done correctly.

If you know of any local supporters who are respected or well known within the community, use them as the primary messengers. Someone wanted to get endorsment of Arnold, well if we can get the same endorsment from 1000 locally active and respectfull activists this would give the same impact.

Meet your locals and organize some sort of event, debate or forum where you can discuss the candidates, economy or even the next football game.

Only with local grassroot effort it is possible to win, and only if all the counties act the same passionate way.

GregVernon
01-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Exactly. We, the grassroots, need to double our efforts. Rather than fight the results of New Hampshire, Wyoming, or Iowa we need to be out on the streets campaigning!
We *cannot* lose this battle. Our liberty is in danger.