PDA

View Full Version : Some things -- 2001 response to '96, and blog pleads for "ghostwriter" to reveal self

groovehead
01-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Some people have mentioned looking for a response to the attacks by Charles "Lefty" Morris in the 1996 Congressional election that revolved around the newsletters. I couldn't find anything mentioned in the Houston Chronicle, but I did find a response in the October 2001 issue of Texas Monthly, inside an article profiling Dr. Paul:

Most of the hitting was on the drug issue, first by Laughlin, whom Patti beat convincingly in a runoff, then by Charles "Lefty" Morris, Paul's opponent in the general election. Morris was certain that Paul's radical views would discredit him with voters. "We just have to get his ideas out, and people will know what he really stands for," Morris said at the time. He ran ads saying that Paul advocated the legalization of illegal drugs, which was not entirely accurate. Though some of Paul's public remarks had suggested that he supported full drug legalization, his official position was (and is) that federal drug laws ought to be repealed: Let the states handle all drug laws. Then Morris' subalterns dug up something even more damaging to Paul: copies of a 1992 newsletter he had published that contained racially tinted remarks.

They caused a minor sensation. In one issue of the Ron Paul Survival Report, which he had published since 1985, he called former U.S. representative Barbara Jordan a "fraud" and a "half-educated victimologist." In another issue, he cited reports that 85 percent of all black men in Washington, D.C., are arrested at some point: "Given the inefficiencies of what D.C. laughingly calls the `criminal justice system,' I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal." And under the headline "Terrorist Update," he wrote: "If you have ever been robbed by a black teenaged male, you know how unbelievably fleet-footed they can be."

In spite of calls from Gary Bledsoe, the president of the Texas State Conference of the NAACP, and other civil rights leaders for an apology for such obvious racial typecasting, Paul stood his ground. He said only that his remarks about Barbara Jordan related to her stands on affirmative action and that his written comments about blacks were in the context of "current events and statistical reports of the time." He denied any racist intent. What made the statements in the publication even more puzzling was that, in four terms as a U. S. congressman and one presidential race, Paul had never uttered anything remotely like this.

When I ask him why, he pauses for a moment, then says, "I could never say this in the campaign, but those words weren't really written by me. It wasn't my language at all. Other people help me with my newsletter as I travel around. I think the one on Barbara Jordan was the saddest thing, because Barbara and I served together and actually she was a delightful lady." Paul says that item ended up there because "we wanted to do something on affirmative action, and it ended up in the newsletter and became personalized. I never personalize anything."

His reasons for keeping this a secret are harder to understand: "They were never my words, but I had some moral responsibility for them ... I actually really wanted to try to explain that it doesn't come from me directly, but they [campaign aides] said that's too confusing. `It appeared in your letter and your name was on that letter and therefore you have to live with it.'" It is a measure of his stubbornness, determination, and ultimately his contrarian nature that, until this surprising volte-face in our interview, he had never shared this secret. It seems, in retrospect, that it would have been far, far easier to have told the truth at the time.

That controversy ought to have destroyed him. Lefty Morris certainly thought it would, and things looked even bleaker for Paul when the AFL-CIO kicked in with a heavy rotation of anti-Paul ads. That may explain why, even after midnight on Election Day, when the newspapers were all giving the election to Paul, Morris still refused to concede. He simply couldn't believe it.

The whole article can be found here (http://www.texasmonthly.com/2001-10-01/feature7-2.php).

---

Also, I found a blog whose author claims to know the author of the most recently exposed newsletter remarks. An excerpt of the entry:

The author can talk about it. He should talk about it. I will not 'out' the person in question on this blog although people are urging me to do so. One of them writes, After the way he's treated the rest of us [ex-friends who criticize Paul], it might be worth taking him down a peg or two. I won't...but neither will I pretend that I do not know the background of the matter. I appeal to the author to do the decent thing. Don't let Ron Paul take the fall for your words and actions. Don't further sully the libertarian movement by your silence. I know that -- in writing this -- I am severing all connection between us in the future and, frankly, I am sorry to do so. Nevertheless...so be it. Through our years of association, one thing I have never considered you to be is a coward.Please prove my assessment correct; please take responsibility.

The blog entry in whole: http://www.wendymcelroy.com/news.php?item.1297.1

Quick
01-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Also worth mentioning, since it is on topic..

Eric Dondero (former Ron Paul aide who was fired by Ron and is running against him in 2008 for Congress), who dislikes Ron Paul and is pro-war, even admits Ron Paul did not write any of the letters.

(comments section of this article on Reason: http://reason.com/blog/show/124291.html)

Eric Dondero | January 8, 2008, 8:42pm | #

The ghost writer was 80% Lew Rockwell.

There were a few others like Gary North from time to time. And even some super RP insiders like Nadia Hayes, Jean McCiver and Marc Elam contributed, and also did some heavy editing out of the Nasa Blvd. 1 office in South Houston and Elam's office on Fuqua.

But I'd say 80% Rockwell.

When I say Rockwell, that also included his interns and helpers like Jeff Tucker, Mark Thornton, and such.

But I remember the faxes of the Newsletter drafts always came from Lew.

DRV45N05
01-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Judging from this, I would say the author is one of three people:

1) Lew Rockwell- This is suspect #1. She referred specifically to the "libertarian movement," which presumably indicates that he is a prominent member of the libertarian movement.
2) The North guy. (What's his first name?)
3) Eric Dondero

Quick
01-09-2008, 08:16 PM
He also notes

On Lew Rockwell, please note that Rockwell is explicitly identified as "Ron Paul's longtime ghost writer" in the 1988 post-Election November issue of American Libertarian. AL existed for 5 years. It was edited by former LP News Editor Mike Holmes of Houston.

http://libertarianrepublican.blogspot.com/2008/01/lew-rockwell-was-ron-pauls-ghostwriter.html

bobthebuilder
01-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Judging from this, I would say the author is one of three people:

1) Lew Rockwell- This is suspect #1. She referred specifically to the "libertarian movement," which presumably indicates that he is a prominent member of the libertarian movement.
2) The North guy. (What's his first name?)
3) Eric Dondero
Gary North

http://www.garynorth.com - his writing style is similar to the articles.

Matt
01-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Also, I found a blog whose author claims to know the author of the most recently exposed newsletter remarks. http://www.wendymcelroy.com/news.php?item.1297.1

It's Gary North all the way, Lew Rockwell knows about it and won't say anything because he edited the newsletters at the time and included them. North better commit seppuku and tell the truth or he has no integrity. Everybody that doesn't like him calls him a racist already so he doesn't really have anything to lose. There will be some serious blowback if these guys let Ron take the fall for them.

bobthebuilder
01-09-2008, 08:21 PM
It's Gary North all the way, Lew Rockwell knows about it and won't say anything because he edited the newsletters at the time and included them. North better commit seppuku and tell the truth or he has no integrity. Everybody that doesn't like him calls him a racist already so he doesn't really have anything to lose. There will be some serious blowback if these guys let Ron take the fall for them.
I think it's high time we got together in true campaign fashion and send some emails and phone calls his way to get more information. But NO threats. Be polite but forceful as usual. Probably wouldn't hurt to include Lew Rockwell too.

ShowMeLiberty
01-09-2008, 09:12 PM
I think it's high time we got together in true campaign fashion and send some emails and phone calls his way to get more information. But NO threats. Be polite but forceful as usual. Probably wouldn't hurt to include Lew Rockwell too.

+1

We can certainly do this, considering everything else we've done so far!

I've really come to enjoy Lew Rockwell's blog. I sincerely hope he has no role in all this, but if he does, he needs to step up.

And you are so right about Gary North. It is very suspicious, to say the least.