PDA

View Full Version : Reality Check - Finances

blakjak
01-09-2008, 06:26 PM
We need to forget the notion that we are sitting on more cash and thus have an advantage over the other campaigns for Super Tuesday. There is a reason HQ has asked for $23 million. This article should shed some light on the costs. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119991702100478905.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

According to political media analyst Evan Tracey, television advertising alone for the Feb. 5 contest could easily soak up $25 million per candidate.

Also, check out what the McCain camp is doing.

The New Hampshire victory also boosted Republican Sen. John McCain, who is now raising an average of nearly $1 million a day, his campaign said.

The campaign needs cash and it needs it now for any shot at decent advertising for the Super Tuesday states.

Dlynne
01-09-2008, 06:31 PM
I want Paul to win. I have donated a lot of money to him, and to plenty of chip-ins. But at this point I feel that Paul owes us an accounting of how that money is being spent and an explanation of why professional help is not being hired. Especially a professional media relations person.

hawkeyenick
01-09-2008, 06:33 PM
I want Paul to win. I have donated a lot of money to him, and to plenty of chip-ins. But at this point I feel that Paul owes us an accounting of how that money is being spent and an explanation of why professional help is not being hired. Especially a professional media relations person.

He doesn't owe us anything, telling us what he has and where he spent it only helps the enemy.

damon04
01-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Question the Doctor?? Rediculous.. We all must do everything we can to help... all money donated will be paid back + more if he gets President...

BLS
01-09-2008, 06:37 PM

I will tell you I was LIVID last night on here.

I was WAY out of line and threatened to pull my support, and SWORE I'd never donate more money until they won a state.

Now I realize what an idiot I am.

It's ALL by design. He doesn't WANT to win those states.
He didn't want to win NH OR IA.

Why do you think he asked for $23 Million DOLLARS more, after we just raised 20 Million?

My first response was "that's insane...show me what you've done so far!".

Now I am realizing he's going to make a NATIONWIDE BLITZ.
Mainstream TV in every state.

THAT'S What he's up to, and we need to give him what he needs NOW before it's too late.

rich34
01-09-2008, 06:38 PM
You guys really think McCain is pulling in 1 million a day?

Kotin
01-09-2008, 06:40 PM
i trust Dr.Paul with my life, i would die for him and his message, i will trust him with my money.

Chester Copperpot
01-09-2008, 06:42 PM

ABSOLUTELY NOT!.... If he did let him show us online... no way

Chester Copperpot
01-09-2008, 06:43 PM
i trust Dr.Paul with my life, i would die for him and his message, i will trust him with my money.

+1776

Lord Xar
01-09-2008, 06:43 PM
McCain raising nearly 1mill a day,, how is that possible ?

deedles
01-09-2008, 06:46 PM

I was WAY out of line and threatened to pull my support, and SWORE I'd never donate more money until they won a state.

Why do you think he asked for $23 Million DOLLARS more, after we just raised 20 Million?

THAT'S What he's up to, and we need to give him what he needs NOW before it's too late.

I'm joining your POV. It's being said that he's been playing rope-a-dope and upon further reflection, I'm inclined to go with that.

Richandler
01-09-2008, 06:52 PM

It's called bundling.

derdy
01-09-2008, 07:04 PM

Exaggerations. Remember Hillary 'raised' $6.7 million in one day :rolleyes:

srp
01-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Ron Paul *himself* has asked for an additional $23mil. He wouldn't ask for this money if he didn't have a solid PLAN.

Donate people! NOW!!!

slowmotionjones
01-09-2008, 07:05 PM
I did some digging for numbers on Iowa and NH.

Advertising in those states was over 80 million dollars for all candidates.

Romney spend 15 million on those two states himself.

Dr. Paul spent under a million in NH so far as I can find out.

Now, hopefully, he is going to launch an assault on a lot of the super duper tuesday states that will be on par with what the other candidates are spending.

With a 25 million dollar projected average and Mitt and Hill and Obama being the big spenders, we should be right in there with everybody else in terms of ad presence.

http://www.freeatlast2008.com/

Sentinelrv
01-09-2008, 07:17 PM

http://www.freeatlast2008.com/

Won't January 21st be too late though? They need to schedule these ads in advance from what I hear. They wouldn't have been able to use our $6,000,000 on Iowa and New Hampshire even if they wanted to.....At least from what I hear.

Scott Wilson
01-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Jan 21 is way too late.

familydog
01-09-2008, 07:22 PM

Impossible. Maybe for a day or two he had, but every day? Nah.

Sentinelrv
01-09-2008, 07:25 PM
I think we just need to stop worrying about these money bombs and give as much as we can the moment we get it. HQ also needs to come out and say that they have a plan for using the money in order to restore all the faith that has been lost.

slowmotionjones
01-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Won't January 21st be too late though? They need to schedule these ads in advance from what I hear. They wouldn't have been able to use our $6,000,000 on Iowa and New Hampshire even if they wanted to.....At least from what I hear.

Honestly, I don't know for sure.

The campaign has asked for $23 million more. I (and others) assume they meant $23 million this quarter. I also assume they have been reserving television time and could use a boost between now and feb. 5.

I believe that the Jan. 21 date is the very best day, as far as timing goes, for a moneybomb. Any sooner and people are still recovering from the last moneybomb and christmas. Any later and they won't have it in time for last minute blitzes in contested states.

Did you sign up yet? It is only a $10 pledge (but I bet average donations will be over $50 easily).

slowmotionjones
01-09-2008, 07:35 PM
I think we just need to stop worrying about these money bombs and give as much as we can the moment we get it.

I agree, but... Not everybody will do it. People get excited about moneybombs and save their money for them.

Ron's Payday or whatever. Great idea but pretty boring. And since it is boring, it is harder to spread via myspace or meetup groups.

Go ahead and donate what you can, when you can. But please pledge your $10 for Jan. 21. Your support of this event will draw out more donors.

BLS
01-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Honestly, I don't know for sure.

The campaign has asked for $23 million more. I (and others) assume they meant $23 million this quarter. I also assume they have been reserving television time and could use a boost between now and feb. 5.

I believe that the Jan. 21 date is the very best day, as far as timing goes, for a moneybomb. Any sooner and people are still recovering from the last moneybomb and christmas. Any later and they won't have it in time for last minute blitzes in contested states.

Did you sign up yet? It is only a $10 pledge (but I bet average donations will be over $50 easily).

Actually NO...they asked for it BY February 5th.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-09-2008, 07:44 PM
I won't donate another cent until Ron goes third party and gets out of this corrupt and broken two-party system.

Young_Apprentice
01-09-2008, 07:51 PM
We just need to keep working hard to pull more people in. Just last night two people asked my dad where they could get RP bumper stickers because they saw him on PBS and were amazed. The movement is growing, no matter what the "3rd party" morons keep saying.

slowmotionjones
01-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Actually NO...they asked for it BY February 5th.

How the hell do they think we are going to accomplish that?!

srp
01-09-2008, 07:53 PM
I won't donate another cent until Ron goes third party and gets out of this corrupt and broken two-party system.

Well then you're in the wrong forum. This is for grassroots campaigning for the repub primaries, last time I checked. Go away. Don't post this stuff here.

tpreitzel
01-09-2008, 07:56 PM

This situation is becoming more and more critical everyday. Actually, the only way to even approach $22M now is to have one CONTINUOUS money bomb through the 22nd of January. The last couple of days have been good, but not nearly good enough. BTW, I donated 3X the amount of last month. I'm NOT giving the actual amount, but it's still sizable and I urge those who CAN donate 3X more than their last one to do so over the next 2 weeks ...

BLS
01-09-2008, 07:58 PM

There isn't any choice. We have to do it.

What's FREEDOM WORTH TO YOU?

This is our ONE chance.
When was the last time you felt like this about a PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE?

Stop...reflect...and realize we have this one opportunity to elect an HONEST PRESIDENT...and he couldn't come at a better time.

Abyss
01-09-2008, 08:02 PM
I've already given ALOT compared to how much I make.

I can say that so far I've donated about 16% of my monthly income. I donated once in Dec, once in Jan, and probebly again on the 21'st.

That will mean that in Jan, I will donate 33% of my monthly income.

slowmotionjones
01-09-2008, 08:09 PM
I think 15 million is the absolute most we can raise in a month. That number might seem ridiculous but the last money bomb was too close to christmas.

I'll probably double what I gave last month cause I don't have to shell out for presents this time.

Edit:

<B>WAY TO GO, ABYSS!!</B>

gyrmnix
01-09-2008, 08:24 PM

These were my first thoughts after reading that TNR piece. Winning NH (or IA, perhaps especially IA) would have only amplified that "news." Surely when we all joined the revolution we realized this wouldn't be easy. Dr. Paul said that himself. We knew what we were signing up for, lets not be surprised that we get it.

I will agree that I was upset after NH (not surprised, unfortunately). However, do we want to go into the next couple primaries with that kind of coverage? That would kill the campaign much quicker than losing a couple primaries.

So, what should we do from here? In my opinion, we need to double, if not triple our efforts. If we come out strong after Feb 5th, it would be too late for the media or other candidates to do anything about it. We need to continue to donate (and no, the campaign does not owe us expense reports or anything like it), we need to double our canvasing (no matter what state), double our phone calling efforts, etc. Read this thread (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=75102) and if you like the idea, coordinate with your meetup (or do it by yourself if you can afford it). Most importantly, we need to become delegates. Delegates choose the nominee, not voters.

The race is far from over. The only question left is, are you ready to go the distance necessary to get our candidate elected? Or are you ready to give up and join McCain's camp? The answer should be fairly easy.

I know I don't post here very often (I read posts far too often, though) and I know I haven't been following my advice well. My intentions aren't to insult anybody, only to motivate. Hopefully I succeeded in that.

Fields
01-10-2008, 12:27 AM
Look I've only donated $250 so far and I'm a student that has relatively no extra spending money but I made due. We've given a lot of money to the campaign and unless they at LEAST say "we have a big advertisement campaign coming up," well then, why are we to believe them? It doesn't have to be direct to the grass roots, it just has to address that the campaign isn't sleeping and is working hard. That's all we ask.

They asked for 12 million this last quarter, we gave them more than that, and if we give them this 23 million does that assure us victory? If not, then don't claim it as such.

jrich4rpaul
01-10-2008, 12:28 AM
Basically, we need one million per state.