PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on NH from someone who was there

mmink15
01-09-2008, 06:01 PM
I just got back to PA after canvassing and conversing with the people of New Hampshire with Operation Live Free Or Die and here is my biggest observation. People I talked too kept saying that they liked Ron Paul and thought he was running a good campaign, but they didn't think he could win so they were voting for someone else. This is the number one thing we need to overcome and no one line will change a person's mind overnight, believe me I saw lots of people trying lots of different lines. We need visible Ron Paul support everywhere so that Ron Paul's support cannot be denied. I witnessed first hand how hard the media works to avoid putting Ron Paul signs and support on camera. Did you know hundreds of Ron Paul supporters marched to the city capitol building in New Hampshire, or that hundreds of supporters stood outside the media's hotel chanting in bitter cold weather at 11 PM? If they won't televise the big things we need to get visible support that people see in everyday life. That means signs in your yard, hanging banners on highway overpasses (see Freedom's Phoenix website for a how-to lesson), shirts, hats, buttons. Make your Ron Paul support visible to as many people as possible all the time. People want to vote for someone that has real support and this is a key way to show those undecideds that the support for Ron Paul is out there.
I am a little disappointed in our showing in NH, but I know that we worked our asses off and it could have been much MUCH worse. There were hundreds of volunteers canvassing, calling, and conversing while sacrificing sleep, food, and life savings. There is a strong foundation to this rEVOLution and it's time to build on that.
All we need to do is everything we can.

I still believe

Ron Paul'08

TSOL
01-09-2008, 06:02 PM
My mother in law says the same thing.

I told her; I did the same thing with BUSH twice (Voting for the other person despite my preference) and I still got Bush

Spirit of '76
01-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Good post. Thanks for your perspective.:)

Janet0116
01-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Say this - so far, no one has an argument against it... although I won't know for sure if it works or not, at least I've seen "the light" go off in people eyes a little:

I see what you are saying, but let me as you something. If your mother were involved in a serious car crash, and the doctors said to you, I'm sorry, but your mother only has 1% shot at living, but we want to take some of your blood to try and save her life." Would you refuse to give your blood, since she has no real shot at living? Of course not. If you believe in pretty much everything Ron Paul stands for, giving your vote is like giving your blood to your country.

Hondarider76
01-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks for letting me know what I missed!

I was asked today by a clerk where I got my RP Revolution shirt. After answering the clerk said that they thought RP was awesome on Jay Leno, had so much good to say but unfortunately he was unelectable. I was just dumbfounded.

How do people decide that they would rather vote for the lesser of two evils? When does that even become an option? Voter turnout over the last century has shown that people would rather not vote at all than vote for the lesser of two evils. And yet that is the argument of the masses! Good lord, when did the American public just up and decide that they would rather die in their sleep than fight to the end? I mean really The Farelly brothers hit the nail on the head when they wrote the Matrix and showed people being used for batteries. Only in reality it is not robots draining us of our lives, it is the government and corporate elite.

Well I'm no Duracell! Evil is evil and that is that. A large percentage of our population would call themselves Christian. In what context does it say in the Bible that under certain circumstances God would like for Christians to choose the lesser of two evils rather than choose what would be good? I would seriously doubt that the Bible would allow for any choices to be made for evil no matter on what level.

Sorry, but I'm getting enraged at our country's apathy. It is seriously upsetting!

DealzOnWheelz
01-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Say this - so far, no one has an argument against it... although I won't know for sure if it works or not, at least I've seen "the light" go off in people eyes a little:

I see what you are saying, but let me as you something. If your mother were involved in a serious car crash, and the doctors said to you, I'm sorry, but your mother only has 1% shot at living, but we want to take some of your blood to try and save her life." Would you refuse to give your blood, since she has no real shot at living? Of course not. If you believe in pretty much everything Ron Paul stands for, giving your vote is like giving your blood to your country.

Thats a good one!!!

RPDelegate
01-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Yeah, I agree. My wife is not yet an RP supporter and it has to do with this very thing. She doesn't see him on TV every day like the other 4 candidates.

mmink15
01-09-2008, 06:25 PM

That is a good one. The light WILL go off when you talk to these people but it tends to go out after a day or two. Now after they hear a few different arguments on that point they can definately be turned. I've seen the following arguments also be effective:
-"It's impotant to vote your conscience"
-"If we don't vote on the issues our voice isn't being heard"
-"It's important to not regret your vote, look at how many people who voted for the current administration feel that way."
Hearing this from many people coupled with visible support as people drive to work or the grocery store will raise our vote exponentially.

Let's get out there and do it fellow rEVOLutionaries!!!

Swmorgan77
01-09-2008, 06:58 PM
I just got back to PA after canvassing and conversing with the people of New Hampshire with Operation Live Free Or Die and here is my biggest observation. People I talked too kept saying that they liked Ron Paul and thought he was running a good campaign, but they didn't think he could win so they were voting for someone else. This is the number one thing we need to overcome and no one line will change a person's mind overnight, believe me I saw lots of people trying lots of different lines. We need visible Ron Paul support everywhere so that Ron Paul's support cannot be denied. I witnessed first hand how hard the media works to avoid putting Ron Paul signs and support on camera. Did you know hundreds of Ron Paul supporters marched to the city capitol building in New Hampshire, or that hundreds of supporters stood outside the media's hotel chanting in bitter cold weather at 11 PM? If they won't televise the big things we need to get visible support that people see in everyday life. That means signs in your yard, hanging banners on highway overpasses (see Freedom's Phoenix website for a how-to lesson), shirts, hats, buttons. Make your Ron Paul support visible to as many people as possible all the time. People want to vote for someone that has real support and this is a key way to show those undecideds that the support for Ron Paul is out there.
I am a little disappointed in our showing in NH, but I know that we worked our asses off and it could have been much MUCH worse. There were hundreds of volunteers canvassing, calling, and conversing while sacrificing sleep, food, and life savings. There is a strong foundation to this rEVOLution and it's time to build on that.
All we need to do is everything we can.

I still believe

Ron Paul'08

Ah and now we see why the CFR controlled media has been willing to give him attention as long as they get the rehearsed "he has no chance" or "longshot Republican Ron Paul" in at the beginning. That's all that matters. They've actually been, in effect, running a PR campaign against him by doing this while pretending to support him.

jd603
01-09-2008, 07:01 PM
If they are die-hard republicans tell them because of George Bush and the war, it is not possible for a pro-war conformist republican to win against a Democrat in '08 , it is statistically impossible.

OR

Tell them it's not wasting a vote, voting for someone who will continue this country down the same bad path its on is a waste of a vote.

walt
01-09-2008, 07:04 PM
I think the lack of major media exposure due to pr ineptitude is something that can't be fixed without addressing that issue directly.

dblee
01-09-2008, 07:16 PM
electibility is such a fucking farce.

I use this one.

"A vote for the lesser of two evils is still a vote for evil."

and

"Vote FOR something not AGAINST someone."

mmink15
01-09-2008, 07:20 PM
I think the lack of major media exposure due to pr ineptitude is something that can't be fixed without addressing that issue directly.

Good point, and I think this is starting to happen and will help the campaign in coming weeks. Jay Leno spoke out about this, and the New Hampshire GOP pulled out of the Fox forum. If the bias in media is exposed people will reevaluate thier feelings on all the candidates to our advantage.

Geronimo
01-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Ah and now we see why the CFR controlled media has been willing to give him attention as long as they get the rehearsed "he has no chance" or "longshot Republican Ron Paul" in at the beginning. That's all that matters. They've actually been, in effect, running a PR campaign against him by doing this while pretending to support him.

You got that right.

Scott Wilson
01-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Ron Paul has about as much chance being elected as the United States has at being a prosperous and free nation!

familydog
01-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Thank you for your support!

mmink15
01-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Ron Paul has about as much chance being elected as the United States has at being a prosperous and free nation!

That is why I truly believe he can and will win. We have to get behind this movement 100%. I think the next FOX debate is going to be huge in terms of viewership, and most of it to see Ron Paul. They will no doubt try to smear him and he will no doubt come out looking like the obvious choice, all of this before Super Tuesday.
Double your efforts everyone get your local meetup groups on the ground canvassing and putting up signs, it is SO important. We can do this if we all come together right now.

speciallyblend
01-09-2008, 07:54 PM
easy argument,the republican party will lose without Ron paul as the nominee,this is a fact if any ron paul supporter voted for any other republican then they arent ron paul supporters.

There is no way the republican party can win unless its RON PAUL

slantedview
01-09-2008, 07:56 PM

you might be right

hawks4ronpaul
01-09-2008, 08:02 PM
If Candidate X is going to win anyway, then Candidate X does not need your vote so vote for Paul.

Tell them that they are repeating the media spin, that's what the media wants them to think, and ask why they would let the media change/control their vote, or how is that different from us not being allowed to vote and only the news anchors having the right to vote.

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

Soccrmastr
01-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Dude very good post and valid observations that seem to be unbiased.

Joe3113
01-09-2008, 08:13 PM
In Australia we have preference voting. But, of course, preference voting doesn't exist in the US because it would take away one of the elites methods of keeping honest candidates out of contention. Of course i'm talking about the "I don't think he can win" mentality people get from the media spin.

If there were preference voting Ron Paul would have won by now.

Preference voting is one of the main reasons I love my country. It's an indication that the system is fair.

beobeli
01-09-2008, 09:20 PM
"Electability" what is that really?

Americans like a leader that can entertain, speak well, look "presidential", a leader that is envied by the rest of the world in the way of his/her looks and mannerisms. (Well Bush Jr. debunked this one.)

Americans do not want a president that wants to leave them alone and therefore remain relatively "invisible" from their lives and TV. This is a sad fact No. 1. The main stream America, about 40-50% of (essentially decent) people, go for this, thus unknowingly becoming "sheeple".

Americans like a president that is rough and tough and that can muscle the world around. This is a sad point No. 2. Believe or not there are still people (victims of years of propaganda) who believe that fighting wars brings us prosperity.

A party wants to elect a candidate that is "electable" in the general election. One who has crooks behind him so that he/she can pull all the guns, a voter fraud, and other "we-against-them" tricks to overcome the fraud and guns of the other side. This is what the hardcore party people who directly benefit from their party being elected look for. What does it really mean when we say "Clintons know how to win", or "Republicans know how to go after Evangelical conservatives"? In my opinion it means manipulation, deceit, fraud, brainwashing, conspiracy, covert operations, media bias and smearing, and so on. This explains why there is always lots of "dirt" on most of elected officials.

Does any of this benefit America? I don't think so. But just like in any "innovation", paradigm shift, or revolution there is a small but growing percentage of thinkers who get it and who are willing to vote their beliefs while actively opening minds of their fellow citizens.

freedominnumbers
01-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Like someone once said "It doesn't matter if you voted for the winner if he's a loser."

mmink15
01-10-2008, 07:44 AM
People are dropping alot of good lines to fight the electability issue, and I appreciate it. I hope you are all helping to throw up visible support as well as verbally spreading the word.
Let's show the rEVOLution's strength and numbers to the country, it is of utmost importance.

scooter
01-10-2008, 07:50 AM
I agree with this observation. That's why the longer RP stays in, the better the numbers will get.

By the way, when I hear people say they won't vote for someone because they can't get elected, I want to kick them in the face. That's why we get crapstains in most elected offices.

nc4rp
01-10-2008, 07:52 AM
i also have heard that Paul is just 'not electable' (of course this is because the media reports this)

the thing is if Paul stays in the race he will start to slowly change perception. People may come around or not, but you have to try to convince them, and at some point a million people could have a dawning moment of realization that he may be electable. public perception can change. just keep working in your state. there is still hope.

stevedasbach
01-10-2008, 08:10 AM
If someone asks why Paul is "unelectable" ask them why. If they say that he's low in the polls, respond "you mean the ones that predicted that Obama would crush Hillary?". If they respond with something like the media says he can't win, respond "you mean the same media that told us Obama would crush Hillary in New Hampshire?".

If they say he can't win because he hasn't gotten many votes, ask if they think Giuliani or Thompson can win. If they say yes, point out that Paul has gotten more votes thus far than both Giuliani and Thompson.

PC_for_Paul
01-10-2008, 08:19 AM
The smallest pebble cast upon the deepest pond still makes a wave.

bolidew
01-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Yes, SHOW our support to the nation.

spivey378
01-10-2008, 12:39 PM
"what do you get if you vote the winner if they arent who you want in office? do you think people that voted for bush because he was a front runner regret doing so?"

mmink15
01-11-2008, 06:40 PM
bump