PDA

View Full Version : Targeting the Older Voters

chowdy
01-09-2008, 05:36 PM
How can we target older voters? We seem to dismiss them as a lost cause a lot here, but I think we can think of some way to sway at least some of this dominant voting group, can't we?

What older person isn't against bringing the troops home? Emphasizing the anti-war issue has helped me get through to all of the older voters I've spoken to (sadly, only a couple).

Any ideas? What can we do?

pcosmar
01-09-2008, 05:40 PM
My Mom is 82, She was sold with th first debate.

My Mom
He was the only one that made any sense.
All you have to do is get them to listen.
Her 94 yr old friend is voting Ron Paul too.

Bloody Holly
01-09-2008, 05:44 PM
I wrote a thread but I'll post here too.

Before you go out to spread your message of Hope for America do the following:

1. Take a shower.
2. Brush your hair.
3. Find a nice outfit that is conservative. Think about how you would dress if your conservative grandparents expected you to dress nice.
4. Brush your teeth. Carry breath mints.
5. Bring flyers, business cards or anything written that reminds people of what Ron Paul stands for. You can even bring DVD's.

Now that you have the basics down. You look nice, your breath smells good..presentation.

Approach:

When you approach someone, give eye contact and smile. If you have difficulty looking someone in their eyes, look at the person's forehead. The person will not be able to tell you are not actually looking them in the eyes.

1. Smile
2. Say "Greetings! Have you heard of Ron Paul the candidate that wants to end the IRS, bring our troops home and stop borrowing money from China?" (You may also shorten it to "Greetings! I would like a minute of your time to tell you about Ron Paul, have you heard of Ron Paul?"
3. Now is your chance to bring up what Ron Paul stands for.
4. If the person criticizes Ron Paul on the issues, be calm.
5. Make it no longer than 15 minutes. The best time would be 5-10 minutes per person. This is so you can move on to the next person.
6. After the conversation smile and thank the person for their time. Give the person a flyer, business card or what you brought with you in writing with details of Ron Paul on the issues or any other media.

Remember, screaming, debating or becoming arguementative slows down the process.

This will work for most people in person. Older crowd need physcial presence.

If you come across as kind, patient, articulate and you presentable the older crowd respects that alot.

Melissa
01-09-2008, 05:50 PM
I say good except borrowing from China part and the IRS most dont know about that and if you talk about something that goes over thier head they dont like that. And older people not too worried about ending IRS they have retirement and Social Security. They are worried about money going down and cost of living going up but dont usually understand why--So I would use He is the only person that is talking about the economy and how we can make sure Social security is safe and how we strengthen the dollar

123tim
01-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Show a lot of respect.
Plan to spend more time than you expect.
Understand that grew up in a different era. We would be the same as them if we grew up when they did.

Take a laptop (Buy a used one from craigslist (if you don't have one). I absolutely guarantee that they would love this.

Show them videos of Ron Paul speaking.
Show videos of Donald Trump kissing Giuliani dressed up like a woman.
Remember to always be respectful of the other candidates as well.

If you want to download utube videos to take on your laptop, you can use the Firefox web browser. Use the "download helper" plug-in to download .flv files which will play on several freeware flv players.

Eponym_mi
01-09-2008, 07:38 PM
I dropped a lot of lit at a senior activity center.

chowdy
01-09-2008, 09:42 PM
I think the emphasis on respect is a good point to make. I know we all get a little carried away...

Do we really want to be showing Rudy in drag? Smearing other candidates isn't very becoming, is it?

Opulen
01-09-2008, 09:44 PM
bump!

Spirit of '76
01-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Just being respectful is the key. And listen to them.

Find out what they want in a candidate, and show them how Ron fills that need.

And who knows, by listening to our elders, maybe we can learn something. ;)

Battlecruiser
01-09-2008, 10:02 PM
If you want to download utube videos to take on your laptop, you can use the Firefox web browser. Use the "download helper" plug-in to download .flv files which will play on several freeware flv players.

If anyone is having trouble with this, I can download the FLV video from youtube myself and upload it onto a site so you can easily download it. Just private message me with a link to the video if you need help. But I'm only on in the evenings, because I have school, so you might have to wait until 3 PM.

MsDoodahs
01-09-2008, 10:29 PM
In the little town where I grew up in Georgia, lots of older people attended bingo at the VFW a couple of times a week. Organizations like that in your area that have weekly events might be a good spot to make contact with the older people.

Also, there are usually several spots in town where you will find a group of older gents having coffee in the mornings.

Some towns have "Senior Centers" where the older people gather to have lunch. I don't know if they would allow it but it very well might be that you'd be welcome to go and speak to the group. Can't hurt to ask...

Sometimes major area employers will have a "retiree group" that gets together, that might be another group that would like to have you come in to speak.

You might watch for geneology club meetings and hand out slimjims as they depart their meetings (personal observation - people get more interested in family history as they age).

Do try to remember that these people grew up when the world was much different from today. Many if not most are very trusting of the government. Many if not most will tell you that healthcare is their top concern. The AARP survey I saw a month or so ago indicated that they are very trusting of DOCTORS, so I would encourage you to emphasize that we call him DOCTOR Paul because he is a physician and understands the situation that our healthcare system is in. Also stress that he is 72. That works to his advantage with this group. :)

I would also suggest that you emphasize to them that Dr. Paul is extremely concerned about the effect inflation is having on the savings of the elderly - if you explain to them that real inflation is around 10% and the government is only giving them a 2% COLA increase, which means they're losing their savings RAPIDLY.

I think you will find that seniors are very receptive to Dr. Paul but ONLY if you emphasize the issues that matter most to them. Their primary concerns will likely be healthcare, and their ability to afford it.

You will probably need to listen to some of their stories, but if you are respectful of them, take the time to LET THEM tell you their stories, and show some interest in them, you'll win their votes. ESPECIALLY if you go to their hangouts more than once.

Hope that helps.

MsD

mikeh2002
01-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Emphasize that he does NOT want to remove those that are already recieving benefits. But he does want younger folks (ie. their grand-or great- grandchldren) to be able to opt out for better, more money saving plans.
His health plans will also increase competition among the big drug companies, lowering medication costs.

LastoftheMohicans
01-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Appeal to the fact that they are Grandparents. Let them know what kind of country their grandchildren will be left with. While some old people are greedy self-centered bastards, most care more about the world their grandkids are going to live in.

pcosmar
01-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Introduce them to the lady in this video.
About 1/3 of the way in,
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2233526069704133605&q=Saul+anuzis&total=29&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Spirit of '76
01-10-2008, 02:53 AM
In the little town where I grew up in Georgia, lots of older people attended bingo at the VFW a couple of times a week. Organizations like that in your area that have weekly events might be a good spot to make contact with the older people.

Also, there are usually several spots in town where you will find a group of older gents having coffee in the mornings.

Some towns have "Senior Centers" where the older people gather to have lunch. I don't know if they would allow it but it very well might be that you'd be welcome to go and speak to the group. Can't hurt to ask...

Sometimes major area employers will have a "retiree group" that gets together, that might be another group that would like to have you come in to speak.

You might watch for geneology club meetings and hand out slimjims as they depart their meetings (personal observation - people get more interested in family history as they age).

Do try to remember that these people grew up when the world was much different from today. Many if not most are very trusting of the government. Many if not most will tell you that healthcare is their top concern. The AARP survey I saw a month or so ago indicated that they are very trusting of DOCTORS, so I would encourage you to emphasize that we call him DOCTOR Paul because he is a physician and understands the situation that our healthcare system is in. Also stress that he is 72. That works to his advantage with this group. :)

I would also suggest that you emphasize to them that Dr. Paul is extremely concerned about the effect inflation is having on the savings of the elderly - if you explain to them that real inflation is around 10% and the government is only giving them a 2% COLA increase, which means they're losing their savings RAPIDLY.

I think you will find that seniors are very receptive to Dr. Paul but ONLY if you emphasize the issues that matter most to them. Their primary concerns will likely be healthcare, and their ability to afford it.

Great advice in this post.

You will probably need to listen to some of their stories, but if you are respectful of them, take the time to LET THEM tell you their stories, and show some interest in them, you'll win their votes.

Am I the only one around here who likes listening to old people tell their stories? :confused:

MsDoodahs
01-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Am I the only one around here who likes listening to old people tell their stories? :confused:

Nope. I call it "tellin' tales" and you know, it is amazing what you can learn if you listen to what they have to say. :)

Spirit of '76
01-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Yeah, I think some of the biggest problems in our society can be attributed to lack of respect for our elders. :(

Bloody Holly
01-10-2008, 02:35 PM
I say good except borrowing from China part and the IRS most dont know about that and if you talk about something that goes over thier head they dont like that. And older people not too worried about ending IRS they have retirement and Social Security. They are worried about money going down and cost of living going up but dont usually understand why--So I would use He is the only person that is talking about the economy and how we can make sure Social security is safe and how we strengthen the dollar

Sorry Melissa but I talked to several people about China and the IRS and it went over well.

It strikes a chord. People might *THINK* income tax does not work on the elderly if they are retired but the elderly remember when income taxes were implemented and how it was supposed to be temporary.

Also, grandparents wants a good honest leader who will also make their grandchildren's and great grandchildren's life better.

Trigonx
01-10-2008, 02:59 PM
this thread has REALLY good information

mokkan88
01-10-2008, 03:03 PM
1. Take a shower.
2. Brush your hair.
3. Find a nice outfit that is conservative. Think about how you would dress if your conservative grandparents expected you to dress nice.
4. Brush your teeth. Carry breath mints.
5. Bring flyers, business cards or anything written that reminds people of what Ron Paul stands for. You can even bring DVD's.

6. Shave that gawd-awful beard. (We're trying to elect a president, not sell tickets to a NASCAR convention.)

pepperpete1
01-11-2008, 12:01 AM
MsDooDah has very good suggestions. I am 60 years old. One of the baby boomers and do not really consider myself a senior citizen yet. I used to work for the Mecosta County Commission on Aging in MI and she is right on about seniors and her salesmanship is excellent also.