Chester Copperpot
01-09-2008, 04:06 PM
What do you all think?

hillertexas
01-09-2008, 04:08 PM
rope a dope? What's that?

phixion
01-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Rope-a-dope is a boxing fighting style used most famously by Muhammad Ali (who coined the term) in the Rumble in the Jungle against George Foreman. The idea is for the boxer to lie on the ropes of a boxing ring, conserve energy and allow the opponent to strike him repeatedly in hopes of making him tire and open up weaknesses to exploit for an eventual counter-attack.

YES.

Pete

hillertexas
01-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Ah...

I agree.

RonPaulFTFW
01-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Thats what he does in texas from what i've read.

SirNim
01-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Good analogy.

You've gotta think that that's the trend.

AlexMerced
01-09-2008, 04:15 PM
ROn Paul is a big muhammad ali fan, I think he saw him fight when he was younger, so this makes sense

nate895
01-09-2008, 04:17 PM
He's smart, and it's probably the smartest strategy to win anything, so yes.

garyallen59
01-09-2008, 04:18 PM
whammo!

Quick
01-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Rumors have been spreading through these forums and among other sites that Paul's plan is to wait for all the big contenders to be knocked out (like that pun I stuck in there?). Almost like Rudy's strategy.

But, I have no proof or anything. Just repeating what I've been reading.

Jake!
01-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Rumors have been spreading through these forums and among other sites that Paul's plan is to wait for all the big contenders to be knocked out (like that pun I stuck in there?). Almost like Rudy's strategy.

But, I have no proof or anything. Just repeating what I've been reading.

I think their saving cash for a 3rd party run. (With Goldwater Jr.)

Chester Copperpot
01-09-2008, 04:38 PM
ROn Paul is a big muhammad ali fan, I think he saw him fight when he was younger, so this makes sense

holy shit, youre right he is.. I forgot about that.. damn

Andrew-Austin
01-09-2008, 04:40 PM
I'm skeptical of this... Certainly they have strategy in the works, just not sure its this.

Wow @ you guys knowing he is a Muhammad Ali fan

rollingpig
01-09-2008, 04:43 PM
good point! let's get the man $23milion !!!

Real_CaGeD
01-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Ron is exactly where he wants to be, 10% solid base and has yet to spend a dime.

bushesbitch
01-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Nice analogy ,thanks .

Drknows
01-09-2008, 04:47 PM
I think their saving cash for a 3rd party run. (With Goldwater Jr.)

I was thinking the same thing :)

Barry Goldwater Jr will be the VP pick. Just watch him talk with Ron Paul in the NH town hall meeting. Everything you need to see is right there.

Barry has some fight in him too. Those two make the perfect team.

evandi
01-09-2008, 04:51 PM
I was thinking the same thing :)

Barry Goldwater Jr will be the VP pick. Just watch him talk with Ron Paul in the NH town hall meeting. Everything you need to see is right there.

Barry has some fight in him too. Those two make the perfect team.

No, if he is saving, it is for the vast majority of states that few of his rivals can afford to out spend him in. It is for the nomination, and only two states have been counted so far.

Trigonx
01-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Ron Paul is going to seriously fight extremely hard for the republican nomination and will not short himself by"saving money for a 3rd party"

Jimmy
I wish I knew what was going on....I get SC television and he is running a quite a few ads....but there pretty lame IMO. If he is ready to open up a can of whip arse...I think its about time to do it. I would start running SHOCKER ads of some kind in a hurry...I sure hope he has something up his sleeve....this same course were taking is not working for a win. Sorry for the downer type post....just needed to vent alittle I suppose.

Brian
This thought has crossed my mind as well. Either this is a terribly run campaign or they are playing rope-a-dope.

Maryum Ali was a student in the college math class I taught about 10 years ago btw. Really smart girl. One of my better students.

Drknows
01-09-2008, 04:55 PM
No, if he is saving, it is for the vast majority of states that few of his rivals can afford to out spend him in. It is for the nomination, and only two states have been counted so far.

Oh i know its all in before super tuesday.........i was talking about Barry Goldwater Jr

evandi
01-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Oh i know its all in before super tuesday.........i was talking about Barry Goldwater Jr

The guy you responded to said "I think he is saving his cash for a 3rd party run with Barry Goldwater"

You responded "I agree"

How do you like these elipses ...! ...! ...!

...!

...!

...!

I have more where they came from. Try me.

AlexMerced
01-09-2008, 05:03 PM
though i do think a Paul/Goldwater would be a solid ticket in principle, though I know a lot of people on this board will complain that we need someone young and hip to fight off the dems appeal

and if that be the case, I nominate myself :)

Drknows
01-09-2008, 05:05 PM
The guy you responded to said "I think he is saving his cash for a 3rd party run with Barry Goldwater"

You responded "I agree"

How do you like these elipses ...! ...! ...!

...!

...!

...!

I have more where they came from. Try me.

Those are some nice Ellipsis :D ....

RPinSEAZ
01-09-2008, 05:13 PM
He'd better change his strategy because the lamo ads he's running and half-assed support and GOTV efforts from HQ is not going to win him the nomination.

Highstreet
01-09-2008, 05:17 PM

He also gave a speech in Congress honoring Muhammed Ali for civil disobedience to the Draft in Vietnam.

familydog
01-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Awsome analogy.

amy31416
01-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Those are some nice Ellipsis :D ....

Oh just kiss each other on the ellipses already! You could cut the tension in here with a knife!

amy31416
01-09-2008, 05:26 PM
He'd better change his strategy because the lamo ads he's running and half-assed support and GOTV efforts from HQ is not going to win him the nomination.

I hope he's playing this rope-a-dope game (lord knows there's plenty of dopes to be roped) but yeah, he's gotta step up the professionalism of the ads. He ain't runnin' for the 14th precinct no more, ya'll!

The ads made by grassroots are far superior, it's just that most are too long. They need 30 second ones.

BLuegreengrey
01-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Some positive talk, thanks for the thead.

ambiguousscion
01-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Just remember some of those lame ads were meant to target old boring people like me. But to be honest I do like the Youtube ads better.

Hook
01-09-2008, 05:56 PM
I think we are giving Benton, Moore, Bydlak, et. al. way more credit than they deserve. We are trying to rationalize such gross incompetence because we can't for the life of us figure out how we could be this dumb in the same situation. We desperately want to belive that there is some genius plan behind all of this, just that we commoners aren't clever enough to pick up on it.

It's time to take over from the grassroots level somehow. Relying on HQ is going to loose us the nomination, so we really only have the grassroots to fall back on.

Any ideas on how to beat HQs performance from the grassroots, anyone?

Voodoo
01-09-2008, 06:01 PM

Get out there and make some signs, hang them up in odd places, talk to the neighbors, write an op/ed or letter to the editor, speak at service organization events, do some newsworthy event with Ron Paul as the inspiration...

Need some more help?

RPDelegate
01-09-2008, 06:08 PM

Yeah, stick a slim jim in the front door of every house in your precinct and make sure you've signed up to be a precinct captain. Mission accomplished. If there are 1000 homes in your precinct, and only 5% are RP supporters, that's 50 RP supporters that show up just your precinct - that's huge!

manny
01-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Read Ron's wiki page and this article posted in another thread by da32130:

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080105/FRONTPAGE/801050301

Ron has a history of sitting back, taking flak from his own party and then going for the killer punch at the last minute.

I have no diea if it will work for a presidential nomination, but given the tiny amount of money he spent in Iowa and NH I think this is what he's hoping for, with the grassroots to carry him through until he starts to spend his cash. Up against the repub establishment he has won before. This time he has 20-30m $ and a country of volunteers.

In a few weeks the details of Iowa and NH will be forgotten, but Huck will still be broke and tarnished with "only appeals to evangelicals" and Mitt will have been shown as a millionaire who couldn't buy votes.

I believe (hope too!) Ron has it planned, playing it long and smart. The score at half-time means nothing. Nevermind the score after 2 mins!

j0ew00ds
01-09-2008, 06:38 PM
I posted my opinion as a comment on DP just a few minutes go but it applies here.

I think (AND HOPE TO GOD) that the Rope-a-dope strategy is in play here. In fact, it has an even earlier precedence: George Washington and the Continental Army.

Washington's first battles in command of the Army were losses. He soon realized he didn't have the power to fight it out and win control of cities. Thus, the British soon occupied Philly, Boston, NYC, etc. Washington and his men took to the hills. Kept moving. Avoided a fight at all costs, knowing they couldn't win. He did this FOR YEARS.

While avoiding a fight, his momentum was gaining. The colonies were becoming more popular with the citizens. More people were getting annoyed at the continuing British grievances. Eventually France joined to help us.

http://www.georgewashington.si.edu/life/chrono_war.html

So folks, have a little faith. Take some time to talk to your neighbors about RP. More surely is coming.

xtravar
01-09-2008, 06:43 PM
I posted my opinion as a comment on DP just a few minutes go but it applies here.

I think (AND HOPE TO GOD) that the Rope-a-dope strategy is in play here. In fact, it has an even earlier precedence: George Washington and the Continental Army.

Washington's first battles in command of the Army were losses. He soon realized he didn't have the power to fight it out and win control of cities. Thus, the British soon occupied Philly, Boston, NYC, etc. Washington and his men took to the hills. Kept moving. Avoided a fight at all costs, knowing they couldn't win. He did this FOR YEARS.

While avoiding a fight, his momentum was gaining. The colonies were becoming more popular with the citizens. More people were getting annoyed at the continuing British grievances. Eventually France joined to help us.

So folks, have a little faith. Take some time to talk to your neighbors about RP. More surely is coming.

So we're waiting for France to help us. Great. 8-)

I'm thinking maybe he has a few endorsements he's holding off on revealing.

deedles
01-09-2008, 06:56 PM

And DRP being a scholar of the founders certainly would know this, wouldn't he.
My hopes are coming up again.:)

TVMH
01-09-2008, 07:19 PM
I think we are giving Benton, Moore, Bydlak, et. al. way more credit than they deserve. We are trying to rationalize such gross incompetence because we can't for the life of us figure out how we could be this dumb in the same situation. We desperately want to belive that there is some genius plan behind all of this, just that we commoners aren't clever enough to pick up on it.

It's time to take over from the grassroots level somehow. Relying on HQ is going to loose us the nomination, so we really only have the grassroots to fall back on.

Let's make the MSM start covering us more and speaking about is in a more favorable light. :rolleyes:

Chester Copperpot
01-09-2008, 07:27 PM

the only thing I can think of is full time grassroots people.. but theyd have to have money to do this.... the problem with pt is we're kinda like irregular militia in the revolution.. we come and leave as we wish,, but there isnt much order.

Perhaps some rules for while we're here to gain order.

Chester Copperpot
01-09-2008, 07:30 PM

SO where will our 'Trenton' Be... Michigan, or South Carolina? or Nevada?

alicegardener
01-09-2008, 07:42 PM
We need a list or a website to let us know what NON-official campaign efforts we can donate to.

I have to admit to being sorely disappointed in the official campaign efforts and wonder whether (or not) Ron Paul himself realizes what he ISN'T getting for OUR money. If he really is playing rope-a-dope, he has to realize he is risking losing the confidence of his grassroots supporters in him and the offical campaign managers. I would like to see some personal changes before I donate more, as it stands now.

N13
01-09-2008, 07:50 PM
So tell me this: When do we come off the ropes swinging at tired Republican candidates with all their weaknesses exposed?

Nowadays its the mixed martial arts that gets the spotlight, so how do we knock them out with constitutional blows to the head? monetary and economic submission holds?

Jeremy
01-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Well how much money do the other guys have left?