PDA

View Full Version : Looking Beyond: a Liberty Equivalent of DailyKos and RedState

georgedonnelly
01-09-2008, 04:05 PM
The Dems/progressives have daily kos (http://www.dailykos.com/), the conservatives have RedState, (http://www.redstate.com/) but the Liberty/Freedom "movement" and friends apparently don't have a community website (correct me if I am wrong) that creates an environment for communication, planning, cross-pollination.

The 2 sites i referenced above are kind of a focal point for their respective groups. People can go their, start a subsite (diary), and enter into the conversation quickly and easily. It's a community concept so it's a bit egalitarian.

This concept is mainly about leveraging the Kos/RedState ideas with a liberty twist. This concept is not primarily about just video or a meetup replacement but I imagine later on those could be incorporated either via collaboration with an existing service or via creating something new.

we have reason, lew rockwell, the forums sites, news sites, lots of blogs, etc but that's really not the same thing.

being lovers of freedom and minimal central authority maybe a decentralized network is what's right for us, but i wonder if some organization wouldn't help us achieve more success politically.

Even if Ron Paul wins it all we still need to get organized so this great momentum doesn't slip away from us. Especially if he decides to go 3rd party he will really need our help.

This idea is bigger than just Ron Paul or this election but it would certainly be of help to his campaign in the short term I imagine.

And then there are all the other races coming up in November, for Senate, House and the state races. A "Liberty State" website in the vein of Kos/RedState could really help us influence the elections.

I have the IT knowledge and physical IT resources to set up, maintain and host such a high-traffic website so I am looking for others to collaborate with on this. Ideally we might setup a steering group to set a strict concept to start with, including what features we need, what approach to take, etc.

Or to shoot it down, if people think it's a bad idea.

Or if someone is already working on this concept, I'd love to join in. I searched around but haven't found anyone talking about this concept.

Let me know what you think.

Bacon
01-13-2008, 11:05 PM
I like the idea. I agree this community needs a social site. PM me I'm interested. I'm a web designer/ developer.

Bacon
01-14-2008, 10:51 PM
No one else interested??

georgedonnelly
01-15-2008, 07:11 AM
apparently not...

Bacon
01-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Well, I've already started on this project. I went with the name amendONE. I registered amendone.com last night. I think it's pretty catchy!

If anyone would like to help out or contribute in any way, please contact me. I have a few ideas, but I'd like to get the input of others.

I like the idea of creating a new DailyKos or RedState but for the liberty-minded people. How do we set it up.. allow certain journalists to make posts/ articles and any member can comment. Would we have a voting system to rank the posts or just have the most commented post be ranked higher? Should we use only original content from the citizen journalists or should we aggregate articles from other sources and then vote? Maybe a mixture of both ideas? I'm just throwing out ideas, anyone else have any input?

WilliamC
01-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Check out www.ultimateronpaul.com

georgedonnelly
01-16-2008, 12:31 PM
www.ultimateronpaul.com is not the same concept. whatsmore it was created by a guy who won't even come out and say he is for Ron Paul so I'm not buying in to it.

Bacon usually when you work a collaborative project you assemble a group before making decisions. otherwise others already feel excluded. the idea behind a collaborative project is to include as many people and possible and make decisions by consensus. the more people you involve the better your chances of success.

i wish you luck with your project.

Bacon
01-16-2008, 02:57 PM
www.ultimateronpaul.com is not the same concept. whatsmore it was created by a guy who won't even come out and say he is for Ron Paul so I'm not buying in to it.

Bacon usually when you work a collaborative project you assemble a group before making decisions. otherwise others already feel excluded. the idea behind a collaborative project is to include as many people and possible and make decisions by consensus. the more people you involve the better your chances of success.

i wish you luck with your project.
I PM'ed you and you did not respond, so I started working on the project. None of it is final, but at least I am attempting to get something started. I'm not trying to exclude anyone, I would just like to have something up and running as soon as possible. I am looking for anyone who is committed to starting this project and creating a collaborative group.

George are you interested in working together on this project?

freedomintheusa
01-23-2008, 12:06 AM
i have a few web addy's you can use as you please if interested... Libertintheusa.com votersprotest.com & freedomintheusa.com not sure if the name fits your idea...if nothing else i can add a link to you.. thanks Mike