PDA

View Full Version : Brokered Convention Questions

Redcard
01-09-2008, 11:01 AM
I'm just looking this up myself..

First, if the convention goes brokered, where is it said that delegates can vote their conscience? I'm only curious because I want to see it on paper. I want to make sure it's not one of those "viability things" where they knock out anyone under 15% and have people rechoose.

Second, Does a brokered convention make us look weaker? I honestly think that a brokered convention means that we're VERY likely to see a split ticket.. if we go into the 2nd or 3rd round with the order being McCain , Huck, Romney, Guiliani, Paul.. . we're likely to see a McCain / Huck ticket.. or something similar.

Third, does a brokered convention kill our message/hurt our message? If , like the second statement, this convention goes brokered, we are going to have to compromise. If we somehow after the second round of voting make it into a position to bargain, are we willing to accept McCain or Huck as our VP? Are we willing to let Ron, if he is not in the position to bargain but is in the position to put McCain or Huck over the top.. are we going to accept that?

I don't think a Brokered Convention is good here. I really don't.

I think we need to make a 30% or stronger statement if we have to go brokered, so that we would be in a position to be the Pres and not the VP.

Bradley in DC
01-09-2008, 11:03 AM
I'm just looking this up myself..

You post factually wrong information on other threads. I correct it and give you links to the RNC's good information. Why start more ignorant threads?

Redcard
01-09-2008, 11:05 AM
You post factually wrong information on other threads. I correct it and give you links to the RNC's good information. Why start more ignorant threads?

Because I just read all of the RNC's rules, _AND_ called the RNC and got a very obtuse answer that seemed to be more or less a "we'll see." And we know that the RNC has no interest in letting RP win.

Avalon
01-09-2008, 11:05 AM
It's good and bad. The bad is that delegates who favor neocons will converge against us. The good is that we can fill the delegate ranks with Ron Paul supporters (regardless of who wins their state). I believe the "voting their conscience" stuff is all determined at the state level (either state GOP bylaws or state law).

walt
01-09-2008, 11:06 AM
brokered convention will not happen

Redcard
01-09-2008, 11:06 AM
It's good and bad. The bad is that delegates who favor neocons will converge against us. The good is that we can fill the delegate ranks with Ron Paul supporters (regardless of who wins their state). I believe the "voting their conscience" stuff is all determined at the state level (either state GOP bylaws or state law).

Okay, like I said, though, I want to make sure the RNC doesn't do this "Okay, everyone under 15% is out" type thing..