PDA

View Full Version : Whats with this?

Wyurm
07-21-2007, 10:36 PM
So I'm looking around thinking its really cool that we have so many meetups and we do have alot with alot of supporters. We have: 21,104 Members in 559 Meetup Groups, 3,857 waiting for a Meetup Group. As far as I can tell, thats realistic. However, in my own group there are several people that are members of several other groups and in one of the groups I've been watching, the entire group is composed of members of other groups all of whom are nowhere near that one.

This isnt a complaint, rather, since my group and that one are public groups meaning you dont have to be a member to see whats going on, why are all these people multi-joining? Is there something to this that I'm unaware of?

nullvalu
07-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Doubtful, I know I somehow accidently joined another state's meetup.. I RSVP'd to a meetup over 500 miles away.. whoops.. :p

JosephTheLibertarian
07-21-2007, 10:39 PM
So I'm looking around thinking its really cool that we have so many meetups and we do have alot with alot of supporters. We have: 21,104 Members in 559 Meetup Groups, 3,857 waiting for a Meetup Group. As far as I can tell, thats realistic. However, in my own group there are several people that are members of several other groups and in one of the groups I've been watching, the entire group is composed of members of other groups all of whom are nowhere near that one.

This isnt a complaint, rather, since my group and that one are public groups meaning you dont have to be a member to see whats going on, why are all these people multi-joining? Is there something to this that I'm unaware of?

Maybe they want to be apart of multiple grassroot campaigns? I don't know lol

Bradley in DC
07-21-2007, 10:41 PM

Some of us joing a sortof near group until a closer one forms.

hells_unicorn
07-21-2007, 10:41 PM

In my particular case, the Quakertown Meet-up is almost a subsidiary of the Allentown Meet-up. I started it mostly because I had found recruits for the Ron Paul cause who don't want to drive 13 miles for a meet-up. Many of my members are leaders of surrounding meet-ups who are collaborating with us on ideas that will implemented in our respective localities.

I used to live in Montgomery County so I have elected to stay in continual contact with them by being in their meet-up, I am also a West Chester University of Pennsylvania Alumni and will aid the Chester County meet-up with efforts at that University and surrounding areas.

cujothekitten
07-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Some people join multiple groups because they want to communicate between groups. I'm part of the Chicago meetup and the quad city meetup which is on the other side of the state. I know people in Moline so I'm willing to make a trip across town if something big is going down there. I'm also thinking of joining the Dallas meetup since my parents live in the area... if anything big is happening there I can join them.

The Chicago area has 5 smaller groups for the surrounding suburbs as well. Everyone is part of their smaller local group but also part of the Chicago meetup. The meetup scene is kind of made up of local, state, and national meetups.

Wyurm
07-21-2007, 10:52 PM
Some people join multiple groups because they want to communicate between groups. I'm part of the Chicago meetup and the quad city meetup which is on the other side of the state. I know people in Moline so I'm willing to make a trip across town if something big is going down there. I'm also thinking of joining the Dallas meetup since my parents live in the area... if anything big is happening there I can join them.

The Chicago area has 5 smaller groups for the surrounding suburbs as well. Everyone is part of their smaller local group but also part of the Chicago meetup. The meetup scene is kind of made up of local, state, and national meetups.

I do understand the leaders, in fact, the organizer of the Chicago area meetup is in my group.

As for the others, it does make more sense now, I was just curious. Kinda like when you see most of a crowd heading for a door and you wonder: "should I be going for that door too?"

Live Free or Die
07-21-2007, 11:06 PM

That's a good explanation. I had a bit of a quandary choosing just one near me in southern NH (there are two in NH and 2 in MA right now). So I joined both groups in NH, as they are just about equidistant from me. I first joined the larger group which is a bit farther away, but many of their calendar items were not do-able for me. So then I joined the smaller, closer group which offered more opportunities to meet & work with RP supporters on my weird off-hours.