PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi Senatorial Race--Ronnie Musgrove?

WilliamC
01-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Greetings All,

Here in Mississippi one of our Senators, Trent Lott, has retired and thus we have a Senate election coming up no later than November 4th this year. Today on SuperTalk Mississippi, a Statewide radio show, former Governor Ronnie Musgrove was on. He is a Democrat but, from the little I know, a very conservative Democrat. Point being is that he was talking about the same issues that Ron Paul is. Spending out of control, 9 trillion dollar debt is crushing the economy, inflation and money being printed as a problem, war in Iraq hurting the fight against terrorism. Seriously, he was arguing Ron Paul's positions.

I managed to get on the air and ask him a question. I asked if he would promise never to vote to pass an unbalanced budget. He said yes except in maybe in times of crisis like we had during World War II, which is an acceptable answer to me (even a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution should have an exception for times of Congressionally declared war).

Anyway, I have emailed him and am copying the email below. His web address is http://musgroveforsenate.net/
If anyone else wants to ask him how much of Ron Paul's agenda he is willing to support, especially if ya'll are from Mississippi, please do so.

Greetings Governor Musgrove,

Thank you for going on the Paul Gallo show this morning and talking to the
people of Mississippi. I am the person who asked you if you would promise to
never vote for an unbalanced budget, and your answer was spot on. Obviously in
times of a Congressionally declared war there could be made a case for deficit
spending, even though the issuance of war bonds would be perhaps a better first
choice.

Your message today sounds much like what Congressman Ron Paul has been talking
about and voting to support for 30 years. I realize he is a Republican and you
would be running as a Democrat, but as one of the many thousands of "Ron Paul"
Republican's who have been motivated by him during his Presidential campaign I
am now looking to become more involved in politics in general. Thus I am curious
to know what your opinion of Congressman Paul is and how closely your positions
match his own. Personally my primary concerns are the size of the Federal
Government, the National Debt, inflation, and taxes. However I realize these
problems are inexorably linked to both foreign and domestic policy and that the
underlying problem is most politicians care more about their personal power than
their oath to the US Constitution. I fully support Congressman Paul's strict
Constitutional views, as evidenced by his impeccable voting record, and would be
willing to support others likewise make these positions their own.

Again, thank you for being willing to take calls from ordinary people like
myself in a public forum like the Gallo radio show. I wish you well on the
campaign trail.

Yours in Liberty,

William C Colley

WilliamC
01-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Oh yes, Ronnie Musgrove's son is serving in Iraq today. For what it's worth.

j0ew00ds
01-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Great email, will you let us know if/what he responds?

WilliamC
01-10-2008, 02:43 PM
What's really interesting is that on the same day I received a wrong number call on my cell phone...from Roger Wickers campaign.

Roger Wicker was the Congressman from the 1st District of Mississippi and was appointed by the Governor to fill Trent Lott's term. He is also running for the same Senate seat.

I spoke to the gentleman for a while and am now on their contact list too.

Weird.

WilliamC
03-18-2008, 08:09 AM
Greetings All,

Governor Musgrove was on the Paul Gallo show again this morning and once more sounded very much like a Ron Paul Conservative. Again, he's running as a Democrat for Senate here in Mississippi, but his Republican opponent, Roger Wicker (who has already been appointed to serve out the remainder of Trent Lott's term until November) is pretty much a Bush/McCain supporter and therefore at the very least has very strong neoconservative leanings.

At any rate here is the email I sent to Governor Musgrove today. I don't know how many folks left here in the forums are from Mississippi but if you are please look into both his and Wickers campaign and let's find the best Constitutionalist to be our Senator, regardless of party affiliation.

Greetings Governor Musgrove,

I was able to listen to you this morning on the Paul Gallo radio show and once more I was impressed by your candor and principled stances on positions such as not supporting earmarks even if it means being attacked by those wishing for more Federal pork spending in Mississippi.

I had asked the question about the Federal Reserve Bank and it's policies which are so destructive to the value of our dollar and to our Nations sovereignty. I relize that monetary policy is a complex topic that does not lend itself to easy explanations on a talk radio show program. You had answered that it is important for the Senate to only confirm Federal Reserve Governors and Chairmen that will put good policies into practice, and in the short term perhaps this is the best we can hope for. However I would hope you will come to support the position that the Federal Reserve Bank itself be abolished and that the Congress re-assume it's Constitution ally mandated role of coining money out of gold and silver. I believe that until such time as this occurs the United States Congress will always seek to use inflation and deficit spending to increase their power over and above what they could gain by their legitimate taxing authority alone.

I will continue to follow your and Roger Wickers campaign's in the next few months. Although I am a dues paying member of the Republican Party here inTate County I am in no way beholden to support any candidate based on Party affiliation alone. My primary allegiance is to the principles of individual liberty as enshrined in our Declaration of Independence and our Constitution, and I am quite fearfull that we are living in a time when the last vestiges of Constitutional restraint upon the powers of the Federal Government are being eradicated. Therefore if you stand for restoring our Federal Government to being a true Constitutional Republic, ruled by Law and not by Politics, I would like y ou to know you will have my support and my vote come this November and beyond. Also, should you gain the office of Senate I would request that you seek out Congressman Ron Paul, who has retained his House seat. He will need allies from both sides of the aisle that are willing to put the best interests of the United States ahead of their own and their parties political power.

Thank you for your service to our State of Mississippi and I wish you and your family the best.