PDA

View Full Version : Is canvassing really that effective?

coboman
01-09-2008, 09:57 AM
I see many posts encouraging people to canvass, and I don't know how good advice this is.
We had two grassroots groups in NH (Operation Live Free and FACT). And they spent more than a month canvassing.
There was also the Christmas in NH effort, plus the other volunteers coordinated by the campaign.

I think that NH had much more canvassing than Iowa.

Yet we scored 2% more in Iowa than NH.

I've read some stories about people becoming increasingly annoyed by canvassing.
I know I hate when someone calls me, or even worse, knocks at my door to sell me something, or to try to convince me to join their cause (religion, charity, etc.).
I don't know how good canvassing is. But, what really intrigues me, is if in reality it is bad.

Mortikhi
01-09-2008, 10:02 AM
since the professionals that are paid to know everything concerning politics say canvassing is the way to go, then that's the way im going.

I wouldnt take programming advice from them, but I would hope that they would listen to me, since that is what I get paid to do.

mjp1025
01-09-2008, 10:06 AM
It's simply human nature...people don't like intrusion of their personal lives. (Ironic, huh?..considering the outcome in Iowa and NH)

mavtek
01-09-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm canvassing but I'm taking a different approach, I'm leaving information the weekend before I canvass. When I canvass I'm going to be running for precinct delegate so I will focus on myself, and getting myself elected.

Then I'm going to push poll, end of story. Unethical? I don't care, I'm fighting fire with fire.

LukeNM
01-09-2008, 10:09 AM
I think rallies; sign waving or walks are better. A lot of people do not want to be bothered in their homes. This may work in NH because they expect us to bring them the message. They want to be catered to, but not for the rest of the country. I actually think it will hurt us. They can go to the campaign web site or here (if we can clean it up and get rid of the cussing and negativity) for more information.

jb4ronpaul
01-09-2008, 10:11 AM
its only because by the end people were knocking on their doors and calling them constantly. I doubt this will be an issue in other states, in fact we will probably stand out as one of the few doing int. I was in nh and thought the door knocking went very well. However since my time is limited with a full time job and family, instead of door knocking my precinct in Ohio, I am going to write a personal letter to all 1000 people and drop it off at their house asking them to contact me to find out more.

hopeforamerica
01-09-2008, 10:30 AM
since the professionals that are paid to know everything concerning politics say canvassing is the way to go, then that's the way im going.

I wouldnt take programming advice from them, but I would hope that they would listen to me, since that is what I get paid to do.

+1

Taco John
01-09-2008, 10:30 AM
It's not nearly as effective as WOW rallies, and Digg... But I'd bet it's a close third.

mexicanpizza
01-09-2008, 10:36 AM
It's not nearly as effective as WOW rallies, and Digg... But I'd bet it's a close third.

Bahahaha.

I think it's fourth, you forgot "making a shedload of inspirational youtube videos" ;)

Bradley in DC
01-09-2008, 10:39 AM
If it's done properly, yes. What HQ advises everyone to do does more good than harm but barely.

Do it right:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=72640

Mark Rushmore
01-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Depends on who is doing the canvassing. The right personality, good smile, quick wit, keeps it light-hearted, just-your-neighbor-stoppin'-on-by-to-share-a-thought gets drastically different results than the pound-on-your-door-with-an-argument-and-an-attitude gets.

ColdSoul
01-09-2008, 10:42 AM

LOL

Seriously Canvassing does a few things...

1. It lets you drop off material that can be directed at the person
2. It lets you personalize your message to them, making sure you let them know Ron Pauls message on the topic they feel is important.

AND THE BIG ONE!

3. It lets you identify the RP supporters in your precient so you can make sure they get to the polls of voting day!

I plan on making sure I know every Ron Paul supporter and I will be offering them a ride to the polls.

I also plan on hitting there house just to say "Hi" and talk about the weather, and say how the economy, housing market, etc are doing and make sure they don't forget it :)

Of course you have to remember I am a very good talker, I could be a salesman if I wanted to be, but I use my talking skills to defuse hostile situations all the time as part of my job.

The important thing about canvassing is making sure it's about them because it is....

If they say getting out of the war make sure you explain that Ron Paul is one of only 2 candidates who voted against the war, and the only Republican (IIRC) to do so.
OR if they say Illegal Immigration is there major issue maybe explain how RP wants to strengthen the borders and then get into how he wants to stop welfare.

Basically you need to find out what there issue is and maybe who they are voting for and why, and if they won't vote for Ron Paul why. If they are firm in not changing there mind in voting for Ron Paul don't bug them but make sure they get some slimjims and stuff so maybe the message will sink in.

Then on voting day everyone who you logged as a Ron Paul supporter call them and make sure they voted for paul, maybe give them a ride etc.

derdy
01-09-2008, 10:43 AM
I've had GREAT success with going door to door. I even converted a neocon.

I'll have a website up this weekend, hopefully sooner, that will help with canvassing. Its basically going to have the most emotiionally stirring videos from youtube on one website, that way you don't just drop off a Slim Jim and hope they go for Dr. Paul because of that.

We need to start using the grassroots material to win votes.

Mani
01-09-2008, 10:47 AM
This is the advice we got in FL, and I think it's legitimate.

We have to target likely republican voters....

Hi Folks,

Once again I want to to thank all of you that are putting forth the
great effort to spread Ron Paul's message of Freedom, Properity and Peace.
You can't imagine how much each and every one of yours efforts means to Dr.
Paul's campaign.

As I write this Ron Paul is in 5th place in NH with 8% about 1,700
votes behind Guiliani and there are 20 days left till the Florida primary.

First we must recognize what we can't do, we do not control the media
(nor barring any large upheaval, will we in 20 days), they will continue to
dis and trivialize Ron Paul. We can't really do anything effective to
influence other primary states

Second showing up at other candidates events with signs and hollering
at the top of your lungs (calling them Fascist or terrorist) doesn't win any
converts or gain any votes (See NH).

Third Signs don't vote. Yes they play a part (not a big one) in a
campaign but they are by no means a deciding factor (See NH and Iowa and
thousands of prior elections). Same thing goes for sign waving.

If we are going to pulll of a surprise in Florida (AND WE CAN) we must
make a fundemental shift on the ground. Those of you that have yet to (and
can make the time to) should come into the office and make use of our phone
banking facilities (best times between 4 and 8PM) to "reach out and
touch" likely republican voters, or come in and pick up material to canvass
likely Republican voters in your precinct (and if you have time calling your
precinct voters from the office).

When we call in to Radio Shows we must be on message (Ron Pauls
message; not some tangent or angry tirade).

These efforts may seem like baby steps but with each and everyone of
you getting behind it, the gains can be huge. As I said there are only 20
days left to Florida primary and theres lots to get done here if we are
going to pull of an upset (BELIEVE ME ITS POSSIBLE, NOT EASY OR FUN, BUT
POSSIBLE).

Ron Pauls has bought Radio ads in Florida and 8 states slated for Feb
5th the campaign continues to fight and so should we.

Freedom&Reason
01-09-2008, 10:48 AM
If it's done properly, yes. What HQ advises everyone to do does more good than harm but barely.

Do it right:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=72640

What HQ advised here in Michigan has been nothing but very poor advice. I suggest you do what you think works the best as a grassroot supporter. The only person that knows how to best display oneself's thoughts is that person.

derdy
01-09-2008, 10:51 AM
What HQ advised here in Michigan has been nothing but very poor advice. I suggest you do what you think works the best as a grassroot supporter. The only person that knows how to best display oneself's thoughts is that person.

+100

Our local campaign people are saying WE HAVE TO do non-advocacy calls. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I have ~1,500 people on my list and I'd be far more effective going door to door. MO is an open primary and I'm bringing some Dems over to Ron Paul.

They're supposed to be getting us volunteers to help make calls, but I'm not holding my breath.

Mani
01-09-2008, 10:53 AM
+100

Our local campaign people are saying WE HAVE TO do non-advocacy calls. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I have ~1,500 people on my list and I'd be far more effective going door to door. MO is an open primary and I'm bringing some Dems over to Ron Paul.

They're supposed to be getting us volunteers to help make calls, but I'm not holding my breath.

Your situation is different.

We are closed in FL, so waving at general people is wasting time.

Republicans in FL get calls from Rudy. Rudy has an army calling republican voters.

santopia
01-09-2008, 10:57 AM
It's up to the canvassER to make the canvassing acceptable to the homeowner.

Spideynw
01-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Canvassing is probably very important, if you are the actual candidate going out door to door so that people can meet you. I myself do not think canvassing for someone else really helps much.

SWATH
01-09-2008, 11:03 AM
I would say appealing to the older crowd will be key in Florida, they are our hardest sell.

wgadget
01-09-2008, 11:04 AM
I, personally, am leery of anyone coming to my door, but I'm one of those few-and-far-between FEMALE voters.

I'm thinking of going door-to-door, maybe even through the week, and just leaving literature on people's doorknobs. Nothing in your face, if ya know what I mean.

We are also continuing our group sign waving efforts and have just today taken them to expressway overpasses, where THOUSANDS of people saw our huge RP sign on their commute to work.

RonRules
01-09-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm not sure that cold canvassing is very effective either. CERTAINLY, based on my experience in Iowa, SC and CA, cold calling phones is NOT effective. People are absolutely sick of these phone calls and in one case an older lady told me she would specifically NOT vote for Ron Paul because I called.

Warm calling (responding to people that pressed 1 to the automated message) was interesting and even fun and easy, but what about the 95% of the callers that were frustrated with ONE MORE POLITICAL CALL?

Here's what I would recommend: Support the mass mailing of DVD's and include a number for people that would like to meet a local RP supporter. This central number would immediately notify the closest RP supporter to go meet with that person at their home.

Guys, this would be the most COST EFFECTIVE, TIME EFFECTIVE way to reach our strongest likely voters. They would be happy to have us meet them at their home, and we may be able to turn them into thousands of volunteers.

I will contact www.ronpauldvdbomb.com and www.ronpaulreveres.com.

Please encourage them also. I gave them $100 already.

coboman
01-09-2008, 12:02 PM
I'm not sure that cold canvassing is very effective either. CERTAINLY, based on my experience in Iowa, SC and CA, cold calling phones is NOT effective. People are absolutely sick of these phone calls and in one case an older lady told me she would specifically NOT vote for Ron Paul because I called.
That's what I am afraid of. Without an effective way to measure the results, there is no telling what is working, and what is actually hurting us.

Giuliani decided to stop his campaign in IA and NH, because the more the people got to hear him, the less they were willing to vote for him.

The fact that there were much more Ron Paul supporters in NH than IA, and the fact that we did better in IA than NH, is what worries me.

The sense of urgency and passion of some of our supporters may be counterproductive. Maybe it is happening to us what happened to Giulinani. The more people meet Ron Paul supporters, the less willing they are to vote for him :(:confused:

coboman
01-09-2008, 12:40 PM
bumpage!

RPDelegate
01-09-2008, 12:53 PM
I see many posts encouraging people to canvass, and I don't know how good advice this is.
We had two grassroots groups in NH (Operation Live Free and FACT). And they spent more than a month canvassing.
There was also the Christmas in NH effort, plus the other volunteers coordinated by the campaign.

I think that NH had much more canvassing than Iowa.

Yet we scored 2% more in Iowa than NH.

I've read some stories about people becoming increasingly annoyed by canvassing.
I know I hate when someone calls me, or even worse, knocks at my door to sell me something, or to try to convince me to join their cause (religion, charity, etc.).
I don't know how good canvassing is. But, what really intrigues me, is if in reality it is bad.

You don't have to call people or knock on doors. That takes for ever. Get literature (slim jims) from your state's campaign office or order it online. Then simply go from house to house in your area and stick the info in people's front doors - quick and easy. All you have to do is get people to know who RP is. His message is what will convince them.

Lars
01-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Like everythingelse we do it depends on how it is done. If with respect, ok. If with anger, nope.