PDA

View Full Version : The Movement's Next Great Hope

Joe Slater
01-09-2008, 09:04 AM
I may be wrong, but it is my impression that a lot of you are new to this libertarian thing. We old-timers are extremely happy you are here. Ron Paul has been the one political leader of any renown that the movement has had since Barry Goldwater or Robert Taft. He is the one voice in the government that consistently and honestly speaks for liberty and smaller government. And he needs to be heartily congratulated for the work he has done in getting the movement this far. Eight percent in New Hampshire from a true libertarian is amazing. He has proven that the libertarian message has power and an audience.

Ron Paul has faults though. He is not the most prolific speaker and he is a bit of a policy wonk. From Saturday's debate one can see that he is ill-suited for national campaigning. He isn't glib, fawning nor a good actor. He is a nice man, but he comes across as a little weird, a little nerdy and a little bit flighty. He has no star power.

A presidential election is about winning over the non-political and the not-so-throughout. Paul does not appeal to the vast majority of these types of people. Unfortunately, style matters as much as substance in campaigns. With Paul's limitations and age, 2008 is his one and only serious attempt at securing the nomination. Who will be our hope in the future? The libertarian movement needs a leader who has all of Paul immense strengths and none of his weaknesses. We need our Ronald Reagan.

Who will it be? I have one idea, a little far-fetched but interesting after you think about him for a-while. Drew Carey. He is firmly one of us. He is likable to the tenth power. And he is smart. He taught himself to be a comedian. He can teach himself to be a politician. Go www.reason.com and Google his name. Read his interviews and view his reason TV spots. I think you will not be disappointed. He is diamond in the rough, but he has so many things going for him, I think he could become a great political leader in the libertarian movement.

Paul/Belichick08
01-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Are you fucking crazy?

rancher89
01-09-2008, 09:07 AM
He needs to run for local offices, then State, then National to be viable.

They gave Reagan crap for "just" being a govenor........

nullvalu
01-09-2008, 09:17 AM
May not be a bad idea, Joe. But I agree with rancher, he'd have to build himself as politically viable and that could take a couple decades.

Ira Aten
01-09-2008, 09:43 AM
You have to be kidding. You guys are gonna worry about what New Hampshire says?

(A bunch of people whose main claim to faim is making "CHOWDA" out of something that lives it's entire lifetime snuggled into MUD????)

Jeeez. So called Republican "conservatives" in New Hampshire, (where the State motto is supposedly "Live Free Or Die") gave their nod to a candidate who believes if you disagree with the Patriot Act, you are an enemy of the State.

In other words, they just voted for four more years of George Bush.

No, I don't think I'm ready to accept defeat based upon the "conservatives" in the New Hampshire Republican party. Not till after Super Tuesday.

New Hampshire and Iowa voters represent America about as much as Janet Reno represented Lady Liberty when she ordered the gunpoint kidnapping of that Gonzales boy by a search warrant obtained via perjury.

Hang in there guys. Hang in there. Because just imagine having John McCain, or Hillary Clinton in office weilding warrantless wiretapping power.

shadowhooch
01-09-2008, 09:47 AM
You have a point sir.

If drew Carey became mayor of Cleveland for a few years and then governor, he would be perfect.

Face it people....the average American is in love with celebrities (Arnold, Sonny Bono, Jesse Ventura, Oprah). Sad but true.

nate895
01-09-2008, 01:37 PM
I still think we should move on to drafting Mark Sanford if Paul doesn't win. He is very viable in the GOP, especially if the GOP loses in November (a near certainty if Paul loses the nomination).

I know he has said that he won't run for anything ever again, but if we can get hundreds of thousands to sign a petition, he could run because of the overwhelming support. Also, South Carolina would be in the bag.