PDA

View Full Version : Has Jessie Benton cleared out his desk yet?

walt
01-09-2008, 09:00 AM
books and phd papers will likely be written about the brutal media relations of this campaign someday by both political science majors and marketing types...

it's a sad day, it did not have to be that way. :(

curtisag
01-09-2008, 09:03 AM
The way they treated Boortz's radio program was horrible. You don't schedule to be on a show and at the last minute say it's not gonna happen with no reasoning behind it.

DJE
01-09-2008, 09:33 AM
screw boortz. No one listens to that show anyways. Dr. Paul would have got nothing by going on the show.

Redcard
01-09-2008, 09:41 AM
screw boortz. No one listens to that show anyways. Dr. Paul would have got nothing by going on the show.

Ya know, I'm real tired of Dr. Paul not accepting invites or worse, accepting them and no-showing them.. and then having people here pull the "screw X, nobody likes X."

Fact is, right now, we're a SMALL , SMALL part of the US voter. MORE people daily watch Neil Boortz than voted for Ron Paul in Iowa and New Hampshire combined. More people in New Hampshire likely watch Neil Boortz than the 2000 vote difference between Fifth and Fourth.. possibly between Fifth and Third.

We claim over and over that the MSM is ignoring us, and yet, we do such a shitty job of handling our relations with them that when we get a chance... and WE walk away from it.. our response is to say "nobody watches them anyway."

What the hell do you want? If you want RP's message on the MSM, we need to start GOING to the MSM. We need to stop saying things like "Nobody watches X anyway" when our HQ fucks it up so badly and skips the show.

God, we don't need a vast conspiracy against us. We're fucking it up on our own .

Makes me so pissed off. :P

coboman
01-09-2008, 09:44 AM
books and phd papers will likely be written about the brutal media relations of this campaign someday by both political science majors and marketing types...

it's a sad day, it did not have to be that way. :(
And the only ones to blame are ourselves.

I complained about the ineptitude of the official campaign from the very first day that I arrived to this forums. But everybody was OK with it. They thought the grassroots could do it on its own.

Well, we can't. What we could have done, and still can do, is COMPLAIN. A major email bomb, or another massive display of our dissatisfaction with HQ.

If we don't complain about their ineptitude, then we can't complain about the results they get.

ceakins
01-09-2008, 09:47 AM
I've seen people complain about suggesting getting Dr. Paul on Howard Stern. He should be on as many programs as possible.

Midnight77
01-09-2008, 09:47 AM

Very arrogant attitude to take. There is a thing called professionalism, and this has now happened not once ... but twice. First with Glenn Beck and now this time.

The campaign staff is our own worst enemy and if Dr. Paul has any hope of securing the nomination, he needs a more professional staff.

We give this campaign $20 million last quarter, and you mean to tell me that they can't spend it wisely enough to get us at least in double digits in New Hampshire???

Clearly this campaign staff needs to go.

apc3161
01-09-2008, 09:48 AM

But he lost a lot by not going on, other shows will be less willing to invite him...

walt
01-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Ya know, I'm real tired of Dr. Paul not accepting invites or worse, accepting them and no-showing them.. and then having people here pull the "screw X, nobody likes X."

Fact is, right now, we're a SMALL , SMALL part of the US voter. MORE people daily watch Neil Boortz than voted for Ron Paul in Iowa and New Hampshire combined. More people in New Hampshire likely watch Neil Boortz than the 2000 vote difference between Fifth and Fourth.. possibly between Fifth and Third.

We claim over and over that the MSM is ignoring us, and yet, we do such a shitty job of handling our relations with them that when we get a chance... and WE walk away from it.. our response is to say "nobody watches them anyway."

What the hell do you want? If you want RP's message on the MSM, we need to start GOING to the MSM. We need to stop saying things like "Nobody watches X anyway" when our HQ fucks it up so badly and skips the show.

God, we don't need a vast conspiracy against us. We're fucking it up on our own .

I'm glad to see this thinking catching on. If we remove the issue and start over making positive relationships - anything is possible.

rightobeleftalone
01-09-2008, 10:28 AM
No show with Boortz? Bad mistake. I think Boortz is in the top 5 or surely 10 most listened to on radio. I have given plenty of $ to the campaign. No more until this unprofessionalism ends. Bad. Very bad.

GayRPFan
01-09-2008, 10:29 AM
No show with Boortz? Bad mistake. I think Boortz is in the top 5 or surely 10 most listened to on radio. I have given plenty of $ to the campaign. No more until this unprofessionalism ends. Bad. Very bad.

Ditto ;-)

Lord Xar
01-09-2008, 10:32 AM
huh? what happened?

from what I gather he was scheduled for a television program or radio, and just cancelled?

ButchHowdy
01-09-2008, 10:35 AM

Not so fast . . . Boortz has mentioned Ron Paul more times today than in the 3 years I've listened to him combined!

Let's not forget Beck's hemming and hawing . . .

Brilliant strategies!

Bradley in DC
01-09-2008, 10:36 AM
http://blog.nj.com/njv_paul_mulshine/2007/11/no_news_is_bad_news.html

It's not just one event.

azminuteman
01-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Fact is, right now, we're a SMALL , SMALL part of the US voter.

Something doesn't smell right.

Both Paul and Edwards don't accept PAC money yet Paul raised about $28 million.
John McCain raised about $30 million and is spent.

I can't believe that 5% - if that's true - of the population that can raise $28 million is insignificant.
Yet, the number of donors - who I would assume be the ones that would get out and vote - equals to Hillarys camp.

It ain't nowhere near over, there's 48 more states to go and November is 10 months away.

Redcard
01-09-2008, 10:52 AM
huh? what happened?

from what I gather he was scheduled for a television program or radio, and just cancelled?

Yes.

This campaign is getting quite the name for no-showing or last minute cancelling.

Avalon
01-09-2008, 10:59 AM

I complained about the ineptitude of the official campaign from the very first day that I arrived to this forums. But everybody was OK with it. They thought the grassroots could do it on its own.

Well, we can't. BS. The only chance our candidate ever had is grassroots supporters recruiting more grassroots supporters and, in the end, voters. If you had bothered to actually talk to republicans you'd find out they dislike Ron Paul because of the media coverage he's gotten. Massive ad campaigns and interviews can cast doubt on republicans' perceptions of him but for the most case they won't win votes (they still question him and don't look into him on their own). According to the exit polls, half of McCain's voters in NH saw Ron Paul favorably. These votes could have been won if someone had talked with them (because McCain represents nothing that Ron Paul does...especially regarding the most divisive issue, the Iraq War in which McCain wants to add another 100k troops and is content with us being there another hundred years). You seal the deal by actually talking with voters: proving to them that this candidate is worth supporting.

This campaign is entirely about grassroots. The hardcore supporters from nearly a year ago built this campaign into what it is but unfortunately the people they recruited cared more about armchair quarterbacking the campaign and in general spending all their Ron Paul time on the internet and not out pounding the pavement (they did donate en masse, I'll give them that).

We are to blame for these losses (especially the supporters in Iowa), no one else. Now it becomes more about winning delegate slots than winning primaries (in the event of a likely brokered convention) but those are achieved the same way: go out and talk to people.

wgadget
01-09-2008, 11:06 AM

"WATCH" Boortz? As far as I know, he's a radio host, and does not have anything for people to "watch."

Redcard
01-09-2008, 11:08 AM
"WATCH" Boortz? As far as I know, he's a radio host, and does not have anything for people to "watch."

He's got a simulcast going too.

Hell, I wasn't even aware that the simulcast was a local thing here.. hah.

Yes, listen to him, then. 3.75 million listeners.

amy31416
01-09-2008, 11:10 AM

Also agreed on this point. No more money from me until they prove that they are professional and doing the right thing by Paul. This level of unprofessionalism hurts Ron in two ways: 1. He irks someone with a publicly heard voice and leaves them hanging. 2. It makes it look like Paul's incompetent and doesn't even know what's going on in his own campaign.

Not good. Just like Paul knows he is morally responsible even though he was unaware of what was written under his name, he's also responsible to be aware of what's going on in his official campaign. Ignorance is not a good defense.

walt
01-09-2008, 11:13 AM

It's not just one event.

Great article, someone should hand a copy of that article to Ron Paul today - hopefully he will chose to do the right thing then.

jj111
01-09-2008, 11:13 AM
BS. The only chance our candidate ever had is grassroots supporters recruiting more grassroots supporters and, in the end, voters. If you had bothered to actually talk to republicans you'd find out they dislike Ron Paul because of the media coverage he's gotten. Massive ad campaigns and interviews can cast doubt on republicans' perceptions of him but for the most case they won't win votes (they still question him and don't look into him on their own). According to the exit polls, half of McCain's voters in NH saw Ron Paul favorably. These votes could have been won if someone had talked with them (because McCain represents nothing that Ron Paul does...especially regarding the most divisive issue, the Iraq War in which McCain wants to add another 100k troops and is content with us being there another hundred years). You seal the deal by actually talking with voters: proving to them that this candidate is worth supporting.

This campaign is entirely about grassroots. The hardcore supporters from nearly a year ago built this campaign into what it is but unfortunately the people they recruited cared more about armchair quarterbacking the campaign and in general spending all their Ron Paul time on the internet and not out pounding the pavement (they did donate en masse, I'll give them that).

We are to blame for these losses (especially the supporters in Iowa), no one else. Now it becomes more about winning delegate slots than winning primaries (in the event of a likely brokered convention) but those are achieved the same way: go out and talk to people.

Well the RP2008 campaign website SUCKS in recruiting volunteers to Meetup Gropus. You cannot even find a word about Meetups without spending 10 minutes looking for it on the site. It's in fine print hidden at the bottom of a subpage without any heading mentioning Meetup or Local activism. Huckabee's site is far more simple and effective in getting people aware of Meetup groups. I called the campaign 3 times about this and they still have not fixed this.

BLS
01-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Ok....so let's ASSUME that Ron's campaign is full of amatuers.....

What can we do about it?

walt
01-09-2008, 11:43 AM
replace them so the campaign has credibility with the media.

angrydragon
01-09-2008, 11:46 AM

What can we do about it?

I don't know.

newbitech
01-09-2008, 11:46 AM
interesting that there are not 1000 posts from the grassroots in here bitching at this reporter.

The grassroots is partially to blame here as well for burying this article. Would have been nice to see some discussion around this in Nov.

newbitech
01-09-2008, 11:47 AM

What can we do about it?

first thing to do is stop repeating the same damn mistakes.

the grassroots needs an open line to Dr. Paul and get rid of these middle men.

angrydragon
01-09-2008, 11:49 AM
I think there should be some top-down management from HQ and a bottom-up grassroots working together. Right now it's just bottom-up and it's taking a while to go up.

Redcard
01-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Honestly, I don't know what to do at this point. We've finished 4th and 5th. Supposedly there's a large warchest to go forward. Michigan is not a major concern since it doesn't have a lot of delegates and we're likely to not make as big a dent.

I think Paul would do himself the best purpose if he campaigned heavily from here until Super Duper Tuesday in the dead center of the nation. Tennessee, Illinois, Missouri, and Georgia. Just one of those states HARD every week or so.. and spend the night in Atlanta the night before. California and NY are going to both be brutal battlegrounds, but you can't be on both sides of the nation effectively, and both are SO big. It's 269 delegates in the middle of America. IF he needs to, he can branch to Oaklahoma and get 41 more.

newbitech
01-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Honestly, I don't know what to do at this point. We've finished 4th and 5th. Supposedly there's a large warchest to go forward. Michigan is not a major concern since it doesn't have a lot of delegates and we're likely to not make as big a dent.

I think Paul would do himself the best purpose if he campaigned heavily from here until Super Duper Tuesday in the dead center of the nation. Tennessee, Illinois, Missouri, and Georgia. Just one of those states HARD every week or so.. and spend the night in Atlanta the night before. California and NY are going to both be brutal battlegrounds, but you can't be on both sides of the nation effectively, and both are SO big. It's 269 delegates in the middle of America. IF he needs to, he can branch to Oaklahoma and get 41 more.

I was pissed that Rudy edged us out in N.H. I thought for sure we would own his ass until FL. I also thought we'd compete with Huckabee better in N.H.

I am going to say take it 1 election at a time until super tuesday. The only one who looks unbeatable at this point is Romney. The field is still wide open.

I am gearing up for a major push here in Tampa/St. Pete. I think we can make some waves in FL, but its going to take some serious serious hard work.

freelance
01-09-2008, 11:56 AM
One of the first things that a campaign staff does (and continues to do throughout the entire campaign) is develop a working relationship with the media. No, they're not our friends, but a professional and competent campaign staff works those relationships to the advantage of the candidate.

I cannot, for the life of me, even guess at what the campaign staff is doing, or why they are taking this destructive course of action with the media? Plain old common decency requires that you do not no-show, not the press, not anyone.

Matt Collins
01-09-2008, 12:48 PM
I work for a major talk radio station. I can tell you first hand that Jessee Benton is incompetent. He almost botched an interview with a major syndicated talk show host until I yelled at full volume over the phone to get Ron to call in for a 5 minute interview which they had already committed to but canceled last minute.

Jessee also was exceptionally rude to me when I had an opportunity to get Ron on a major local top 40 market mid-morning talk show and wouldn't make the effort to pull it off. Because of this the host trashed Ron Paul and refuses to talk about him.

Jessee needs to be replaced and someone else more competent needs to be put into that position. THERE IS NO EXCUSE for this mishandling of media appearances.

Matt Collins
01-09-2008, 01:05 PM
screw boortz. No one listens to that show anyways. Dr. Paul would have got nothing by going on the show.Not quite. Boortz is very popular in specific cities.

Johncjackson
01-09-2008, 01:11 PM
People never get off the Ron Paul Money Train voluntarily.

And the conductor is too nice to kick them off, I guess.

pavilion33
01-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Not quite. Boortz is very popular in specific cities.

I listened to Boorts for awhile today he was giving RP hell for the missed interview and said the 911 peps where killing his chances.

Ethek
01-09-2008, 01:39 PM
I listened to Boorts for awhile today he was giving RP hell for the missed interview and said the 911 peps where killing his chances.

Boortzs being pissed off is not surprising. I cannot believe the campaign canceled last minute on that interview. I listen to the guy in KY. He has a big market and I think he has a chip on his shoulder for the notoriety Paul has in the Libertarian party. I think its a bit of professional jealousy because I have no doubt Boortz likes to indulge himself of his influence. It is big.

Boortz already had an easy route to pick on Paul because they strongly disagree on foreign policy. Boortz is also swallowing his libertarian principles by leaning towards backing Huckabee (because of the Fairtax.) This really hurts us in a heavily evangelical state like Gerogia. It has basically guaranteed a poor showing there because Boortz has the lions share of libertarian minded heavily under his influence. Boortz has ulterior motives. I don't pretend to understand all of them.

Canceling the interview just pushed the guy over the edge.

walt
01-09-2008, 05:38 PM
I work for a major talk radio station. I can tell you first hand that Jessee Benton is incompetent. He almost botched an interview with a major syndicated talk show host until I yelled at full volume over the phone to get Ron to call in for a 5 minute interview which they had already committed to but canceled last minute.

Jessee also was exceptionally rude to me when I had an opportunity to get Ron on a major local top 40 market mid-morning talk show and wouldn't make the effort to pull it off. Because of this the host trashed Ron Paul and refuses to talk about him.

Jessee needs to be replaced and someone else more competent needs to be put into that position. THERE IS NO EXCUSE for this mishandling of media appearances.

how much more quantification do we need?

frasu
01-09-2008, 05:57 PM

What can we do about it?

We need a Keyser Soze figure running the campaign:

But there might be another, more hidden story -- a secret weapon Kerry unleashed in Iowa several weeks ago. His name is Michael Whouley.

Michael who? Unless you're a hard-core political junkie, you've probably never even heard the name. But within the Democratic political world, Whouley is an almost-mythical figure. Revered as one of the party's fiercest and most talented ground-level organizers, Whouley is widely credited with saving Al Gore's foundering campaign in Iowa and New Hampshire in the 2000 primaries against Bill Bradley. Now this old Kerry ally may be working his magic one more time.

Whouley often seems like a kind of Keyser Soze figure -- his fearsome powers are the stuff of legend, but the man himself is rarely seen. Unlike other top campaign operatives, Whouley shuns attention. He avoids shows like "Hardball" and "Crossfire," and you can't find a picture of him on the Web. Whouley is so secretive that in 2000 he wouldn't even walk in front of a C-SPAN camera so his mother-in-law could see him on television. On the phone, Whouley sounds like a 300-pound truck driver -- he has a grumbly, profane voice, heavily inflected with the accent he acquired growing up in Boston's working-class Dorchester neighborhood. (In fact, he is short, "balding," and "whip thin," according to The New York Times.)

Exarel
01-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Very arrogant attitude to take. There is a thing called professionalism, and this has now happened not once ... but twice. First with Glenn Beck and now this time.

The campaign staff is our own worst enemy and if Dr. Paul has any hope of securing the nomination, he needs a more professional staff.

We give this campaign $20 million last quarter, and you mean to tell me that they can't spend it wisely enough to get us at least in double digits in New Hampshire???

Clearly this campaign staff needs to go.

You realize that there are other ways to make a run that do not involve spending money in NH. It has been done many times before, the other candidates spend their money early, and the others spend it later for super tuesday and beyond. Many have also won using this tactic. I agree that the campaign needs more work, but how they spend the money isn't one of them.

Dlynne
01-09-2008, 06:27 PM

Based on several incidents I have been told about in the past, this does not surprise me but it does make me feel sick. When I think about all the people who donated to Paul's campaign, and lots of those people scrapped together that money, I just want to go to Paul's headquarters and slap somebody. We deserve better than this. What is wrong with them?

walt
01-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Based on several incidents I have been told about in the past, this does not surprise me but it does make me feel sick. When I think about all the people who donated to Paul's campaign, and lots of those people scrapped together that money, I just want to go to Paul's headquarters and slap somebody. We deserve better than this. What is wrong with them?

They aren't the right group to execute the dream for the team... :(

Matt Collins
01-09-2008, 11:28 PM
how much more quantification do we need?Meaning?

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
01-10-2008, 12:10 AM
Ron Paul does NOT like being interviewed by demagogues. The campaign MADE him go on Glenn Beck, and it was a disaster. Fuck Boortz.

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
01-10-2008, 12:12 AM
So, the answer to this is for Ron to go on his show so Boortz can yell at him about 9/11 and death threats? That's going to help how, exactly?

Matt Collins
01-10-2008, 12:25 AM
Ron Paul does NOT like being interviewed by demagogues. There's an old saying in the PR business: "Any press is good press"

Whether or not RP likes being interviewed is irrelevant. If he is truly in this to win that means he might have to do some things he doesn't like to do - like appear on shows that are unfriendly to him.

Unfortunately one cannot win a campaign without the media on your side. It's bad enough we have an uphill battle, but pissing off the media by no-showing is a death sentence.

Luft97
01-10-2008, 01:05 AM
The answer is to go on Alex Jones for the 500th time so that he can yell at him about 9/11 conspiracies and assassination attempts of Ron Paul. That should give Paul the boost he needs.

Troll often?

pacelli
01-10-2008, 01:17 AM

Maybe Paul declined the Boortz show because he didn't want Boortz to break the rumor about the newsletter. Remember, I think later that night on Tucker is when the news first broke nationally. I might have my dates confused. But I recall the Boortz interview being around the time of the newsletter announcement.

pacelli
01-10-2008, 01:29 AM

It's not just one event.

Ouch. For those that don't like reading much, here's a highlight concerning the Independence Hall Rally:

I found that out when I attended the rally to look for possible material for future columns. The bungling began when I showed up for what I had been told by Paul's staff was a press conference set for 12:15 at a hotel near the rally site. There was a nice room with a podium and even coffee on the side. One thing was missing, though: The press. I expected to see 20 or 30 reporters, but there were only two.

Maybe the others were on their way, I figured. Nope. At about 12:20, Paul's campaign chairman, Kent Snyder, abruptly informed us that there would be no press conference and that we should clear out so the candidate could meet with some contributors. When the journalists tried to ask the candidate a few questions, Snyder rudely interrupted them.

Like the rally, this was also unprecedented, but not in a good way. Usually it's the opposition that tries to sabotage a press conference.

Joe3113
01-10-2008, 02:59 AM
You don't think going on Alex Jones once a month has diminishing returns? His crazy listeners already know about Paul. No serious candidate running for President would be caught dead on that nut's show. Paul going on there just adds to his fringe candidacy. The same with keeping Don Black's donation, especially with all of this newsletter stuff. The Paul campaign is worthless.

Alex Jones is a hero to a LARGE percentage of Ron Paul supporters, including myself. We may not agree with everything he says but the majority of it is backed up by evidence. He encourages people to copy his dvd's for FREE to get the message out. Further, EVERY SINGLE DAY he is pimping Ron Paul, almost constantly to his 3-5 million listers around the world (includes short wave, internet etc). The majority of that percentage are eligible voters in the United States by the way. You have got to stay true to your friends. Alex is a friend of Liberty and a friend of Ron Paul.

newbitech
01-10-2008, 03:15 AM
Can't have it both ways buddy. If Paul really wanted to win he would have ditched Jones a long time ago. It's no surprise that no other serious Presidential candidate would even consider going on Alex Jones' show. Paul could do plenty of other interviews on radio or tv with sane hosts and get just as much coverage. If you surround yourself with fringe, you're going to be labeled as fringe. It's just a fact of life and it's a shame Paul didn't realize this. And I think you need to re-examine who your heroes are, seriously.

so you signed up to bitch about Ron Paul being on Alex Jones and talk American Idol?

please allow me to address this comment.

if you run with the lemmings you will fall off the cliff. there is nothing fringe about exposing government lies and cover-ups. this is what the founders instructed us to do and is encoded in our constitution. you may want to reexamine your motivation for being here, seriously.

pacelli
01-10-2008, 03:16 AM
Paul could do plenty of other interviews on radio or tv with sane hosts and get just as much coverage. If you surround yourself with fringe, you're going to be labeled as fringe. It's just a fact of life and it's a shame Paul didn't realize this. And I think you need to re-examine who your heroes are, seriously.

You haven't demonstrated your heroes in the 3 posts you've made. Who are they?

Joe3113
01-10-2008, 03:18 AM
Can't have it both ways buddy. If Paul really wanted to win he would have ditched Jones a long time ago. It's no surprise that no other serious Presidential candidate would even consider going on Alex Jones' show. Paul could do plenty of other interviews on radio or tv with sane hosts and get just as much coverage. If you surround yourself with fringe, you're going to be labeled as fringe. It's just a fact of life and it's a shame Paul didn't realize this. And I think you need to re-examine who your heroes are, seriously.

So how's the weather at Langley?

free.alive
01-10-2008, 03:25 AM
Coboman,

so you've been bitching since your first day on here? Well with each and every negative keystroke you have wasted your energy and sapped some from others which would otherwise have spread our positive message even more, doorbell by doorbell, slim jim by slim jim, handshake by handshake, victory...well, you get the idea.

All negativity should be translated into donating cash (yeah, that's right - I bet you've never won an election) and hitting the streets. I hear it put recently, "canvassing wins votes - everything else is noise." Sounds like wisdom to me.

Matt Collins
01-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Maybe Paul declined the Boortz show because he didn't want Boortz to break the rumor about the newsletter. Remember, I think later that night on Tucker is when the news first broke nationally. I might have my dates confused. But I recall the Boortz interview being around the time of the newsletter announcement.
That's not an excuse. In fact it's all the more reason to show up.

JMann
01-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Not quite. Boortz is very popular in specific cities.

Not to mention his listeners are probably the closest thing to being natural Paul supporters. I doubt Paul and Boortz disagree on anything other than the war. I know there are small minded people on here that refuse to think that good people can still disagree with them on the Iraq war because to them they are militant Hitler types. Thus the reason Paul only attracts small numbers of people on the voting days. There are good people that think we should be in Iraq, you and I may disagree with them but that doesn't make their views invalid.

RonPaulFTFW
01-10-2008, 12:01 PM
We need new leadership.

jason43
01-10-2008, 12:11 PM
I've seen people complain about suggesting getting Dr. Paul on Howard Stern. He should be on as many programs as possible.

Robin actually referred to Ron Paul as "Your guy" when she was talking about Ron on the news portion of the show. Stern said he didn't know too much about him, but he liked everything he heard so far.

Stern has millions of listeners that do what he says. They kept Sanjiah on American Idol, they can help Ron in the primaries if Howard endorces him. The social conservatives have their guy in Huckabee, they could care less about Paul. might as well go for everyone else.

K1RBY
01-10-2008, 12:22 PM
i agree. my wife and i have givin alot, but will not give another dime until people start getting fired from this incompetent campaigne staff...

wowabunga
01-10-2008, 12:22 PM

Take the national ad money and use it for airfare and jet Ron all over the planet. Go talk to the Pope, Queen of England... talk to the Australians down under ( don't forget to say how upside down our system is up younder ). And by all means go see the troops.

Just my humble opinion... but our current ads are "b" grade and lack creative punch.

ConstitutionGal
01-10-2008, 12:27 PM
That's not an excuse. In fact it's all the more reason to show up.

Absolutely! Face the beast head on and SLAY him!

Also, as Matt pointed out earlier, it took a LOT of phone calls and us grassroots, local folks having to stop playing nice with Jesse Benton to get Dr. Paul on the radio shows here in Nashville before the rally on October 6th. The campaign SHOULD have been calling those shows and doing everything within their power to get Dr. Paul on them instead of ignoring the calls from the shows or saying they'd do it and then backing out at the last minute. I don't care who you are, to leave ANY show host hanging with dead air AFTER a committment to go on the show is BAD FORM, unprofessional and immature.

jason43
01-10-2008, 12:46 PM

He blew off Glenn Beck when there was no newsletter and we were getting almost NO major interviews in those days. Then Beck trashed him on TV and radio for months, even though Beck actually AGREES and endorces many of Ron's views.

How can you win like that?

He could go on Rush, Boortz, Beck... all those guys have MANY agreements with our movement, and we are the most ideologically pure representation of them. Hannity claims to as well, but that guy likes himself too much and has too much of a hardon for war to actually think about anything other than what he has decided is the truth.

But seriously, this is a guy that is so well versed in economics that I don't know how he can't convince people to be against it just based on the fact that we can't afford it without disasterous financial results.

Bradley in DC
01-10-2008, 12:46 PM
This was the part that shows the problem is systemic and not just a bad day:

Unprecedented as the event was, it was barely mentioned in the newspapers the next day. Predictably, I got an e-mail from an irate Ron Paul supporter blasting The Star-Ledger's bias in overlooking the candidate.

Members of the public, whether right-wing or left-wing, tend to believe that the members of the press are conspiring to suppress their views. In some instances this may be true, but this case provides a textbook study in how politicians, through their own incompetence, can bungle media coverage...

After I got that e-mail, I did some checking and found that the event was not listed in the Daybook for that day. This inexcusable oversight meant that the media were not informed of the event. I myself had learned about it only by accident. The same was true of Larry Eichel, the national political writer for the Philadelphia Inquirer who did a prewrite of the event but did not attend it. [Emphasis added.]

Mort
01-10-2008, 12:49 PM

There are also things called priorities. And you might notice, Ron Paul's time is important right now.

Its amazing he's only backed out of 2. For example, did he back out of something for the recent Leno show? That would be a good decision.

Bradley in DC
01-10-2008, 12:51 PM
This campaign is entirely about grassroots...We are to blame for these losses (especially the supporters in Iowa), no one else. Now it becomes more about winning delegate slots than winning primaries (in the event of a likely brokered convention) but those are achieved the same way: go out and talk to people.

Nonsense. The DC activists have soured on the official campaign because we have the misfortune of dealing with them and witnessing them first hand sabotage the grassroots efforts that would have lead to victories here had HQ just stayed out of it.

Talldude1412
01-10-2008, 12:55 PM
how many of you whiners are ovulating? Just out of curiosity.....

Mistake have been made, boohooo. Get over it. Stop bringing down morale. jeezus.

mconder
01-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Dr. Paul is America's last best hope. I will continue to support the campaign until the end. If the replace people, fine. If not, there is nowhere else to go. He's the only game in town.

Deborah K
01-10-2008, 12:57 PM

That's a double-edged sword. There is a prominant public figure in San Diego who sits in for Rush Limbaugh and is on the fence about President Paul. He stated the other day, that if Stern comes out publicly for Paul, that there is no way he will endorse him. I'm sure he is not alone in his thinking.

Stern is reviled by many. And rightly so. Anyone who puts diapers on and shits in them while on the air and thinks thats good humor is F U B A R!

On the other hand, he has millions of listeners. Would that translate into votes? I suppose it would depend on how many of his listeners even bother to vote.

mconder
01-10-2008, 12:59 PM
He blew off Glenn Beck when there was no newsletter and we were getting almost NO major interviews in those days. Then Beck trashed him on TV and radio for months, even though Beck actually AGREES and endorces many of Ron's views.

Glenn has to obey his corporate masters. He can't openly endorse RP.

Talldude1412
01-10-2008, 01:00 PM
That's a double-edged sword. There is a prominant public figure in San Diego who sits in for Rush Limbaugh and is on the fence about President Paul. He stated the other day, that if Stern comes out publicly for Paul, that there is no way he will endorse him. I'm sure he is not alone in his thinking.

Stern is reviled by many. And rightly so. Anyone who puts diapers on and shits in them while on the air and thinks thats good humor is F U B A R!

On the other hand, he has millions of listeners. Would that translate into votes? I suppose it would depend on how many of his listeners even bother to vote.

agreed

We could stand to get some more actual voters converted and less morons of the Howard Stern variety.

jason43
There are also things called priorities. And you might notice, Ron Paul's time is important right now.

Its amazing he's only backed out of 2. For example, did he back out of something for the recent Leno show? That would be a good decision.

There is a big difference between backing out and not showing up 10 minutes before the show starts... the case with Beck was that he didn't have anything else lined up so he had to "interview" Ron Paul... only no one was there to answer the questions.

If his priorities are more important than blowing off nationally syndicated shows, then I'd like to know what those priorities are, because we have the least campaign events of any major candidate in the race in every state we have competed in thus far.

You can make excuses all you want, but we need some people who know what the hell they're doing in there and without stretching to look for some secret plan, this just looks sloppy.

SteveMartin
Well put, Deborah. NOT MANY!

Deborah K
01-10-2008, 01:01 PM

Mistake have been made, boohooo. Get over it. Stop bringing down morale. jeezus.

ROFL!!! Better yet, how many of you MALE whiners are ovulating?

Talldude1412
01-10-2008, 01:02 PM
ROFL!!! Better yet, how many of you MALE whiners are ovulating?

hehe, that was implied.

jason43
01-10-2008, 01:03 PM

Glenn has to obey his corporate masters. He can't openly endorse RP.

He doesn't need to publicly endorce him. Having Ron on the show exposes him to millions of people that we might not reach otherwise and our strongest thing is the message. Endorcements don't matter, exposure to the message matters.

Deborah K
01-10-2008, 01:06 PM
hehe, that was implied.

hehe ok. I sometimes can't tell who's male/female by the names that are used.

Deborah K
01-10-2008, 01:07 PM

Excellent point..

Matt Collins
01-10-2008, 03:53 PM
ROFL!!! Better yet, how many of you MALE whiners are ovulating?No ovulation but I think some have sand in their.... :p

walt
01-10-2008, 03:56 PM
this cnn thing today is a joke. they keep pounding him before he's on

freelance
01-10-2008, 04:03 PM
this cnn thing today is a joke. they keep pounding him before he's on

And I wonder if they have David Gergen lined up to trash him after his piece. They had a quote from Gergen in the article on their site.

That's not good enough, says one political veteran.

"These stories may be very old in Ron Paul's life, but they're very new to the American public and they deserve to be totally ventilated," said David Gergen, a CNN senior political analyst. "I must say I don't think there's an excuse in politics to have something go out under your name and say, 'Oh by the way, I didn't write that.'"

walt
01-10-2008, 07:38 PM
bump

Matt Collins
01-11-2008, 12:49 PM
I can't believe Ron didn't show up to the FOX interview after the SC debate.

traitorist
01-11-2008, 01:01 PM

good move on Ron Paul's part. he took away the ammo that he knew Hannity and Fox was going to use against him, and left Fox with nothing. smart. i use the same tactic in business and it is extremely effective.

constituent
01-11-2008, 01:11 PM
frankly, it was a terrible move on RP's part to even attend last night's debate....

but what do i know?

Paulbot_9876
01-11-2008, 01:15 PM
sometimes when you say no they seem to want you more.....look what happen with gb.....rp got a full hr from saying no.....its like if you want me on,you play by my rules......

Jaredh
01-11-2008, 01:21 PM
frankly, it was a terrible move on RP's part to even attend last night's debate....

but what do i know?

I disagree, there's many on here who have watched fox news. I don't personally, but my Mother used to. Suffice to say you can hit the target demographic with fox, even if it is smaller than a CNN's would be in term's of how receptive they are to his message.

I like that he just blew hannity off. He's a fool, I wouldn't do him any favors.

constituent
01-11-2008, 01:25 PM
just as an aside, did you notice the new effort at base-pandering post NH?

Talldude1412
01-11-2008, 01:27 PM

You know that it was completely likely they were just going to do their all to roast him, to take back any gains he had made in the debate. So all in all I was glad he didn't.

dawnbt
01-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Yes.

This campaign is getting quite the name for no-showing or last minute cancelling.

I was just talking to my mom about Ron the other day and she said, "He is invited on shows, he just declines them all". I fought her on it, but now wondering if she was right!

dawnbt
01-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Great article, someone should hand a copy of that article to Ron Paul today - hopefully he will chose to do the right thing then.

+1

dawnbt
01-11-2008, 01:37 PM

+1000

dawnbt
01-11-2008, 01:39 PM
So, the answer to this is for Ron to go on his show so Boortz can yell at him about 9/11 and death threats? That's going to help how, exactly?

Well then they should have thought about that before they agreed to come on the show!

jmdrake
01-11-2008, 01:41 PM
The way they treated Boortz's radio program was horrible. You don't schedule to be on a show and at the last minute say it's not gonna happen with no reasoning behind it.

What? You are KIDDING me! Please tell me you are kidding! Ron Paul just missed going on the Warren Ballentine show (a black talk show host and affiliate of Al Sharpton) and for the first 15 minutes or so Paul got skewered! Thankfully Rand Paul called in and saved the day. I'm not suggesting Ron Paul should go on every show. But IF you're going to agree to go on, make sure SOMEBODY from the campaign is ready as a backup ESPECIALLY if its a hostile show! :mad:

Regards,

John M. Drake

dawnbt
01-11-2008, 01:42 PM
i agree. my wife and i have givin alot, but will not give another dime until people start getting fired from this incompetent campaigne staff...

I agree

dawnbt
01-11-2008, 01:44 PM

You're a pig.

evadmurd
01-11-2008, 01:45 PM

I approve this message.

dawnbt
01-11-2008, 01:47 PM

If they guy sits in for Rush, he probably said that just so Ron doesn't get the publicity. Sterns endorsement would being in 10x's more supporters than Mr. "Fill's in for Rush". Ron survived the Bunny Ranch endorsement, it's about spreading the message.

dawnbt
01-11-2008, 01:50 PM
good move on Ron Paul's part. he took away the ammo that he knew Hannity and Fox was going to use against him, and left Fox with nothing. smart. i use the same tactic in business and it is extremely effective.

I agree! He strolled in, won the debate, and strolled right back out! Loved it! He doesn't need to stick around and pander to FOX. He owned them!

jmdrake
01-11-2008, 01:51 PM

Did you here the radio show Glen Beck did AFTER having Ron Paul on the TV show? He basically called Ron Paul a liar for claiming that he (Dr. Paul) had never heard of the most prominent 9/11 theories. The he ssaid in so many words that he only let him on the show to be polite. I truly believe the Glen Beck interview may have done more harm than good. Same for Dr. Paul's appearance on Meet The Press. I'm not saying Paul should NEVER go on hostile shows. And certainly if he agrees to go on he MUST show up. But let's not kid ourselves. Beck hates us. Sure he agrees with Paul on the border but that's about it. He's a neocon into his "islamofacism" fetish just like all the rest of em.

How can you win like that?

He could go on Rush, Boortz, Beck... all those guys have MANY agreements with our movement, and we are the most ideologically pure representation of them. Hannity claims to as well, but that guy likes himself too much and has too much of a hardon for war to actually think about anything other than what he has decided is the truth.

But seriously, this is a guy that is so well versed in economics that I don't know how he can't convince people to be against it just based on the fact that we can't afford it without disasterous financial results.

Because certain people have convinced themselves that if we don't "fight em over there we'll have to fight em over here." When it comes to economic survival and physical survival most people chose physical survival every time. Sure, we are NOT in any physical danger. But try telling that to the average neocon?

Regards,

John M. Drake

Laja
01-11-2008, 01:52 PM

Well, we can't. What we could have done, and still can do, is COMPLAIN. A major email bomb, or another massive display of our dissatisfaction with HQ.

If we don't complain about their ineptitude, then we can't complain about the results they get.

You guys need to get away from your computers. You've totally lost perspective. You CAN'T possibly know the reasons behind the decisions made at HQ and going on like this is madness. We need to just keep moving forward independent of HQ and NOT depending upon them for anything.

Dr. Paul has his reasons for the decisions he makes. Whether it's Kent Snyder or Jesse Benton, Ron Paul is making the decisions. If you guys think you can make better decisions, then you run for President.

So shut the F*** up and get your asses out of the house and do something helpful like canvassing.

Remember that there is the hand of Providence behind Ron Paul and what looks terrible to us in the moment is always turned around in RP's favor. Not stop venting and get to work!!!

Talldude1412
01-11-2008, 01:59 PM
You're a pig.

I was questioning a mostly male crowd at the time, hence the (admittedly crass) sarcasm. I was merely getting a bit testy at all the "the campaign's a witch! Burn er!!!" crud that was dragging people's morale through the mud.

Lord Xar
01-11-2008, 02:20 PM
What? You are KIDDING me! Please tell me you are kidding! Ron Paul just missed going on the Warren Ballentine show (a black talk show host and affiliate of Al Sharpton) and for the first 15 minutes or so Paul got skewered! Thankfully Rand Paul called in and saved the day. I'm not suggesting Ron Paul should go on every show. But IF you're going to agree to go on, make sure SOMEBODY from the campaign is ready as a backup ESPECIALLY if its a hostile show! :mad:

Regards,

John M. Drake

this is what is making very disillusioned. what is GOING ON! Did Rand give a reason WHY he cancelled?

WHY IS RON CANCELLING THESE......... what the fuck.

JS4Pat
01-11-2008, 02:23 PM
this is what is making very disillusioned. what is GOING ON! Did Rand give a reason WHY he cancelled?

That is Unfreakin' believeable! This is so unfair to the grassroots. We are doing are part - why is Ron Paul not ensuring he has a campaign staff that is doing theirs?

jmdrake
01-11-2008, 02:38 PM

Sorry. I should have posted a link to the thread about the Ballentine show.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=86903

I wasn't able to listen because my live link went down. Rand said his dad's plane was delayed. It seems that he also answered many of the claims made by the host and callers including pointing out that Dr. Paul didn't vote for a congressional gold medal for ANYBODY! (The host was attacking Paul for not voting for one for Rosa Parks but calling Mrs. Parks one of his heros.)

Regards,

John M. Drake

jmdrake
01-11-2008, 02:41 PM
You guys need to get away from your computers. You've totally lost perspective. You CAN'T possibly know the reasons behind the decisions made at HQ and going on like this is madness. We need to just keep moving forward independent of HQ and NOT depending upon them for anything.

Dr. Paul has his reasons for the decisions he makes. Whether it's Kent Snyder or Jesse Benton, Ron Paul is making the decisions. If you guys think you can make better decisions, then you run for President.

So shut the F*** up and get your asses out of the house and do something helpful like canvassing.

Remember that there is the hand of Providence behind Ron Paul and what looks terrible to us in the moment is always turned around in RP's favor. Not stop venting and get to work!!!

Hello. Did you get the latest email for Dr. Paul "onward"? It was very inspiring. But one of the things he did in there was admit that he made some mistakes. Well missing a radio interview is clearly a mistake. He also asked for suggestions. I'll email this to him, but making sure that this NEVER happens again is my suggestion. And yes. I am out working for Dr. Paul.

Regards,

John M. Drake

libertarian4321
01-11-2008, 02:43 PM
first thing to do is stop repeating the same damn mistakes.

the grassroots needs an open line to Dr. Paul and get rid of these middle men.

Okay, this is just silly.

We have thousands of grassroots people just on these forums, and tens of thousands more who don't come here.

Everyone of us has an OPINION on how the campaign should run- and I suspect its often an uninformed opinion. We don't know why they make the decisions they do- sometimes their decisions may be foolish, sometimes there may be a good reason, but they aren't going to divulge every detail to thousands of people on the internet.

You can't run a campaign listening to the opinions 10,000+ people, folks.

You have to put a small number of people in charge- we may not agree with everything the official campaign does, but its absurd that so many of you think that the campaign needs to listen to every bitch and moan you have.

A "direct line" to the campaign, lol- why not just give Ron's home phone number to thousands of amateur grassroots people and call him directly every time we disagree, lol.

Dr. Paul has gone from an unknown registering at 0% in most polls to a significant competitor in the campaign. Many of you doing the most complaining probably didn't know who Dr. Paul was 6 months ago. Do you think maybe Dr. Paul and the official campaign might be doing something right?

Cyclone
01-11-2008, 03:10 PM
One of the first things that a campaign staff does (and continues to do throughout the entire campaign) is develop a working relationship with the media. No, they're not our friends, but a professional and competent campaign staff works those relationships to the advantage of the candidate.

I cannot, for the life of me, even guess at what the campaign staff is doing, or why they are taking this destructive course of action with the media? Plain old common decency requires that you do not no-show, not the press, not anyone.

It is not only with the media, they treat their donors the same way. I have been yelled at, told to go vote for Hillary if I am not pro-life, hung up on when I suggested they send out an email to tell folks that deadlines were coming up really early in NY and NH, and basically treated like hell.

I know a member of the media. He also asks to speak to certain people and the morons answering the phones refuse to put him through unless they think that what he has to say is important - so far they haven't thought one comment important enough and he has NEVER been put through to people who have called him and he is just returning their call.

You can't run a lemonade stand with this level of unprofessionalism. (Is that a word?)

The biggest problem, sorry to offend, is that they hired a bunch of kids to answer the phones. Kids who are acting entitled and curt and surly to those calling in. Unacceptable.

Worse yet, if you ever bother to email anyone (because that is the only way you can get through) letting them know of problems, if you are lucky enough to get a response all it will be is a bunch of excuses and cya's.

After all of the complaints, all of the emails, all of the phone calls day in and day out, only now they are realizing they have a problem? Someone over there has either lied through their teeth to Dr. Paul about how well things were going or he ignored all the problems and was too arrogant to think that any folks out here have a head on their shoulders. Either way, it is a big problem.

I will make this very clear - we will not win any states on Super Tuesday unless we win one before. Why? Because he will be considered unelectable by then with all these dismal showings.

So, campaign - hear this loud and clear. Find a way to win one of those earlier states and do it NOW. Send Ron somewhere, not Florida, and don't let him come home until the primary is over. Have him shake the hand of every single voter in the state. Tell the grassroots which state you have picked, give us the phone numbers of all in your little black volunteers book and have us call all the people we can. When we are done with that, give us the numbers of all of the rest of the Republicans in that state and Inds if they can vote and have us all go nuts on one state.

You have 3 days to decide and pull this together. If you continue your devil may care attitude, the devil will care and we will have no shot from here on out.

Unless - unless he plans to run as an Ind. and this has all been for show. If so, save every dime you can and tell us that is what you are doing. We will still vote for you. This may be the only time in history that the stars have aligned properly enough for an Ind to win. Everyone hates the Republicans. There are enough racists and bigots left in this country that a non-white male contender will have a hard time winning so a third party candidate might win. Especially one with Ron's unique brand of message.

Drea
01-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Okay, this is just silly.

We have thousands of grassroots people just on these forums, and tens of thousands more who don't come here.

Everyone of us has an OPINION on how the campaign should run- and I suspect its often an uninformed opinion. We don't know why they make the decisions they do- sometimes their decisions may be foolish, sometimes there may be a good reason, but they aren't going to divulge every detail to thousands of people on the internet.

You can't run a campaign listening to the opinions 10,000+ people, folks.

You have to put a small number of people in charge- we may not agree with everything the official campaign does, but its absurd that so many of you think that the campaign needs to listen to every bitch and moan you have.

A "direct line" to the campaign, lol- why not just give Ron's home phone number to thousands of amateur grassroots people and call him directly every time we disagree, lol.

Dr. Paul has gone from an unknown registering at 0% in most polls to a significant competitor in the campaign. Many of you doing the most complaining probably didn't know who Dr. Paul was 6 months ago. Do you think maybe Dr. Paul and the official campaign might be doing something right?

Agreed. And I agree with Laja also.

The same people, blowing things out of proportion. 2 cancellations becoming vaguely "all these cancellations".

For anyone to come here and post generalities and continuous "it's all bad over there" posts and expect others to respond (or take up your cause) is ridiculous. Mainly, you are threatening to withhold support and donations from RP. Wow. You expect us to agree with you?

Walt, I'm sure that you received an email from RP last night. Did you do anything he directed --email your suggestions? Or, did you just come here and continually spew and get others worked up so we get to hear how you and others won't donate? We've got it already Walt. We've seen you post many times how you won't donate until Mr. Benton is replaced. And then to see you bump your own thread when it isn't at the top. We heard your threat already. I'm tired of it.

Drea
Donate big on Jan 21st!! Let's get Ron the $$$ he needs.

coffeewithchess
01-11-2008, 03:46 PM
sometimes when you say no they seem to want you more.....look what happen with gb.....rp got a full hr from saying no.....its like if you want me on,you play by my rules......

Glenn Beck was already going to give him an hour, like the other candidates.

Dlynne
01-11-2008, 04:08 PM
It is not only with the media, they treat their donors the same way. I have been yelled at, told to go vote for Hillary if I am not pro-life, hung up on when I suggested they send out an email to tell folks that deadlines were coming up really early in NY and NH, and basically treated like hell.

I know a member of the media. He also asks to speak to certain people and the morons answering the phones refuse to put him through unless they think that what he has to say is important - so far they haven't thought one comment important enough and he has NEVER been put through to people who have called him and he is just returning their call.

You can't run a lemonade stand with this level of unprofessionalism. (Is that a word?)

The biggest problem, sorry to offend, is that they hired a bunch of kids to answer the phones. Kids who are acting entitled and curt and surly to those calling in. Unacceptable.

Worse yet, if you ever bother to email anyone (because that is the only way you can get through) letting them know of problems, if you are lucky enough to get a response all it will be is a bunch of excuses and cya's.

After all of the complaints, all of the emails, all of the phone calls day in and day out, only now they are realizing they have a problem? Someone over there has either lied through their teeth to Dr. Paul about how well things were going or he ignored all the problems and was too arrogant to think that any folks out here have a head on their shoulders. Either way, it is a big problem.

I will make this very clear - we will not win any states on Super Tuesday unless we win one before. Why? Because he will be considered unelectable by then with all these dismal showings.

So, campaign - hear this loud and clear. Find a way to win one of those earlier states and do it NOW. Send Ron somewhere, not Florida, and don't let him come home until the primary is over. Have him shake the hand of every single voter in the state. Tell the grassroots which state you have picked, give us the phone numbers of all in your little black volunteers book and have us call all the people we can. When we are done with that, give us the numbers of all of the rest of the Republicans in that state and Inds if they can vote and have us all go nuts on one state.

You have 3 days to decide and pull this together. If you continue your devil may care attitude, the devil will care and we will have no shot from here on out.

Unless - unless he plans to run as an Ind. and this has all been for show. If so, save every dime you can and tell us that is what you are doing. We will still vote for you. This may be the only time in history that the stars have aligned properly enough for an Ind to win. Everyone hates the Republicans. There are enough racists and bigots left in this country that a non-white male contender will have a hard time winning so a third party candidate might win. Especially one with Ron's unique brand of message.

I am SO in agreement with this post. Thank you, Cyclone, for writing this.