PDA

View Full Version : Dear, Dr. Paul The funds will dry up if you dont seperate yourself from the amateurs

Dave Wood
01-09-2008, 08:44 AM
The loss in New Hampshire is simply an embarrassment, period! There is a reason grassroots campaigns DONT win elections for high power positions. There is a lot of ugliness that goes on behind the scenes. Only professionals can make it through that minefield.

It is very naive to think that if you just tell the truth and do the right thing, the election will fall in your lap.

Ron Paul is a seriously wounded candidate right now. This racist smear is going to have to be tackled by a pro, no ands, ifs, or buts. The loss of New Hampshire, which should not have happened, has cost us the little bit of media that we did have. The enthusiasm is beginning to deflate.

Dr. Paul. You must hire a big name campaign director immediately or this thing will be over before super Tuesday.

Please excuse my rant. I will continue to support him but I will NOT send another dime until the person running this ship is a real pro.

thisisgiparti
01-09-2008, 09:04 AM
This is a legitimate concern, and I think probably a lot of people feel the same way. Paul's grassroots have been a blessing, anyone running for office would love this enthusiastic support, but they have been ignored by this official campaign. They feel so insecure about whether their leader pays attention to them, just so marginalized all around, that they're running full steam in a million different directions. The few pats on the head they receive are lead-ups to more donor solicitations.It is not the best impression right now. I wish this campaign would take a new direction.

raystone
01-09-2008, 09:10 AM
good post

webber53
01-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Any credible suggestions?

Dave Wood
01-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Carville

traitorist
01-09-2008, 09:23 AM
i agree with the OP, no more money from me either. i have donated quite a bit already, and have not seen a good ROI. either RP starts acting like he wants to win this thing or it's over. "getting the message out" isn't going to cut it. if you want to win, you must go on the offensive. wisely, tactfully, aggressively.

dspectre
01-09-2008, 09:27 AM
I think you guys just need to take a break and get a perspective on things.

I can understand feeling down, but to some of us you guys look like you just enjoy whining.

Dave Wood
01-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Isnt Mary Matalin (sorry for spelling) married to James Carville?

I think Carville is brilliant but he is known as a dem. Mary Matalin is a rep strategist.....maybe she would be just as effective without the dem tag?

Dave Wood
01-09-2008, 09:32 AM

I can understand feeling down, but to some of us you guys look like you just enjoy whining.

With respect to your comment about whining. I havent felt this kind of passion for something in years. What I am seeing happen right before my eyes is VERY painful.

I think the proper term should be VENTING not Whining.

Mortikhi
01-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Definitely hire a professional, or at least someone that is more professional than the current crop that is surrounding Dr Paul.

Also, we still need more volunteers to go knocking on likely republican voters' doors and canvas for Ron Paul. If you're not doing that, or at least assisting behind the scenes for someone that is doing that, then we need to talk and get you volunteering for the cause.

realist
01-09-2008, 09:34 AM
I fear the same thing as the OP.

I don't think this is the right place to post this though becuase it will change nothing for the better.

I suggest you put this in the campaign suggestion box and even email it directlyto HQ. I alrerady have, as have some others who share this beleif.

literatim
01-09-2008, 09:35 AM
You are whining. This a forum, no one from the campaign visits it. Your little letter won't reach the campaign so you either have an alternative motive by posting it here or you're an idiot.

ConstitutionGal
01-09-2008, 09:35 AM
My husband and I were discussing this very thing last night as we watched the election returns. The grassroots has gone above and beyond what any other candidate's has. We have given the official HQ at least three golden opportunities to make a MAJOR splash with the media and general population (the 5th, the blimp and the 16th). Then there was the 3rd quarter fund-raising totals. Did we see (even as supporters) any official press releases put out the day after any of these events? Nope. The media actually tried to give the campaign exposure after the 3rd quarter fund-raising totals and HQ dropped the ball and let the opportunity go by. And how many times has HQ failed to even return the calls of major talk-show and newscasters calls or, even worse, made the commitment for an appearance and then cancelled it at the last minute (which left a disgruntled show host out in the cold with time on their hands to do nothing but bash our candidate)? This campaign seems like it's being run by a bunch of young guys who get their knickers in a knot when they feel slighted over something and then go after petty 'revenge'. This is TOTALLY unacceptable and will NOT curry any favor with anyone except those other younger supporters who are of the same mind-set. We can NOT play in the big-leagues acting like 9th graders in high school.

I'm not going to call names as far as who it is at HQ that I think needs to be replaced but, we all know here who they are as we've all had the ball dropped by the same people there when major events came up that we needed their support on like media appearances and interveiws before the big rallies.

Just look at the mess in Iowa with the database and the lack of speakers for RP at each princinct. These are things that the official campaign should NOT be dumping in the laps of the grassroots folks who are, for the most part, passionate but inexperienced! Mistakes like these are too often simply unrecoverable!

On to NH - the grassroots was awesome! Period. The official campaign - not so, IMHO. The ads they ran were lackluster and they waiting until the last minute to run a negative ad - something you simply don't do in most major markets and especially in NH. You ALWAYS want to wind up with your positive messages, not with an ad with another candidate's name mentioned in it.

Also in relation to NH - I think we may honestly be looking at some vote count indiscrepencies. How can we possible have all those meetup members (some of whom may be too young to vote) and them not be able to garner even one vote a piece for Dr. Paul? I find this simply hard to believe.

There need to be some GOOD comparison ads run in the upcoming states and HQ needs to start actaully giving some support and maybe direction to the grassroots. Setting up the precinct captains section is good but I've never heard of a campaign that made these supporters BUY their own materials and signs!! Not with millions in the bank!!

dspectre
01-09-2008, 09:36 AM
With respect to your comment about whining. I havent felt this kind of passion for something in years. What I am seeing happen right before my eyes is VERY painful.

I don't read all your posts so I don't know.

There is just a lot of negativity. This is expected, but people need to get a grip.

If we got the top 3 we would be all on cloud 9 right now thinking how we are unstoppable. Which is ridiculous since NH has so little delegates.

Of course you may think this, if you think the media is right that to have momentum from the first 2 states is what determines the election.

WilliamC
01-09-2008, 09:45 AM
You are whining. This a forum, no one from the campaign visits it. Your little letter won't reach the campaign so you either have an alternative motive by posting it here or you're an idiot.

I concur...with the original poster. Any of the other Republican candidates would be doing better than we are if they had the same level of grassroots support. Sure Ron Paul is despised by the mainstream Republican Party and that's the worst problem he has, but it's a FACT that his original campaign was NOT expected to get this far. I think his top people don't know how to spend the money they have, Ron Paul has said so himself. I think they need to get help, from where I don't know, or Ron Paul's original plan of spreading the message of limited government will succeed beyond his wildest dreams. But he still won't get elected President, and maybe he won't even get enough delegates to be a player at the national convention.

All of his grassroots are sold on the message, and most will still be behind him if he loses, but only if he shows us his message can win, and not just tread water with 10% or so of the vote. If he does lose he needs to lose so that the message will continue to grow and so that other politicians won't be afraid to start selling it themselves. That's what is at stake, not just his bid for the White House, but that other politicians will see his message is a losing message.

Dave Wood
01-09-2008, 09:50 AM
The anger I have toward the main staff is due to the fact that this racist stuff wasnt absolutley killed when the Don Black donation thing was floating through the media. That was their moment and they failed miserably. Now it has blown up into an almost insurmountable obstacle for RP. They knew this was coming and did nothing.

Now, He has no choice but to hire a big gun. That move will get him back in the press again and will give him a chance at destroying this smear, which isnt going away.

Tn...Andy
01-09-2008, 09:52 AM

Agree....and with the very first post as well.

TwiLeXia
01-09-2008, 09:53 AM

I think that's the point. Winning.

ceakins
01-09-2008, 10:13 AM
The loss in New Hampshire is simply an embarrassment, period! There is a reason grassroots campaigns DONT win elections for high power positions. There is a lot of ugliness that goes on behind the scenes. Only professionals can make it through that minefield.

It is very naive to think that if you just tell the truth and do the right thing, the election will fall in your lap.

Ron Paul is a seriously wounded candidate right now. This racist smear is going to have to be tackled by a pro, no ands, ifs, or buts. The loss of New Hampshire, which should not have happened, has cost us the little bit of media that we did have. The enthusiasm is beginning to deflate.

Dr. Paul. You must hire a big name campaign director immediately or this thing will be over before super Tuesday.

Please excuse my rant. I will continue to support him but I will NOT send another dime until the person running this ship is a real pro.

I think New Hampshire has turned into the state of a bunch of pansies.

ARealConservative
01-09-2008, 10:19 AM
This is playing out exactly how some of the more realistic supporters predicted.

We need to keep our heads up - this isn't over yet.

Captain Shays
01-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Any credible suggestions?

My suggestion isn't about which political professional Ron Paul should hire. Its about a complete change in tactics from what any candidate in US history has attempted but it think would work for Ron Paul in this particular election. Ready?

Ron Paul should right now choose his VP running mate if or when he gets the Republican nomination and he should pick right now, his entire cabinet selection.

Here are my reasons.
1. In this politically charged environment with the media at the helm of the flow of most public information, there would be a firestorm which could not be ignored by anyone.

2. Voters would get a chance to see the outcome of a Ron Paul presidency. They wouldn't have to guess what he will do, or whom he would choose to be with him.

3. Ron Paul's entire cabinet selection would be on the campaign trail with him in seperate locations. It would be like having clones to help you in your work. While Ron Paul himself can only be in one place at a time, his VP candidate whether Walter Williams or Pat Buchanan could be elsewhere working on the campaign and getting the freedom message out to more people in better or different ways than Ron Paul alone can accomplish. Of course the same goes with John Stossel or Michael Scheuer and the other selections.

Our problem right now isn't raising money or having enthusiastic volunteers. Its the media ignoring our candidate deliberatly.

You tell me how they could possibly ignore an entire cabinet selection when its never been done before? If that isn't new worthy then nothing is.

Dave Wood
01-09-2008, 10:28 AM
I think New Hampshire has turned into the state of a bunch of pansies.

I think that is a naive cop-out.

Spreading the message isnt doing the job. The sale is not being "closed" with the voters.

Not to mention to unbelievable fraud that was going on up there. This should have been foreseen and would have been dealt with be seasoned campaign strategist.

stevedasbach
01-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Folks, there probably aren't any "big name" campaign managers available who would be willing to take on the Republican establishment. It could cost them their future livelihood.

Plus, anyone with that background would be a disaster with the grassroots. If you think we've got communication problems now, see what happens with someone who expects to control every detail of the campaign in charge. The first thing to go would be the real-time reporting of donations.

They can probably attract some talent in each state, and in specific areas like media, advertising, etc. They also could likely attract a person with strong non-campaign project management experience (e.g. the guy who quit his job at Google) to improve the day-to-day managment of the campaign.

Dave Wood
01-09-2008, 10:30 AM
My suggestion isn't about which political professional Ron Paul should hire. Its about a complete change in tactics from what any candidate in US history has attempted but it think would work for Ron Paul in this particular election. Ready?

Ron Paul should right now choose his VP running mate if or when he gets the Republican nomination and he should pick right now, his entire cabinet selection.

Here are my reasons.
1. In this politically charged environment with the media at the helm of the flow of most public information, there would be a firestorm which could not be ignored by anyone.

2. Voters would get a chance to see the outcome of a Ron Paul presidency. They wouldn't have to guess what he will do, or whom he would choose to be with him.

3. Ron Paul's entire cabinet selection would be on the campaign trail with him in seperate locations. It would be like having clones to help you in your work. While Ron Paul himself can only be in one place at a time, his VP candidate whether Walter Williams or Pat Buchanan could be elsewhere working on the campaign and getting the freedom message out to more people in better or different ways than Ron Paul alone can accomplish. Of course the same goes with John Stossel or Michael Scheuer and the other selections.

Our problem right now isn't raising money or having enthusiastic volunteers. Its the media ignoring our candidate deliberatly.

You tell me how they could possibly ignore an entire cabinet selection when its never been done before? If that isn't new worthy then nothing is.

Interesting idea but where would we get the money to pay them? They couldnt leave their day jobs to do free campaigning for RP.

Dave Wood
01-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Folks, there probably aren't any "big name" campaign managers available who would be willing to take on the Republican establishment. It could cost them their future livelihood.

Plus, anyone with that background would be a disaster with the grassroots. If you think we've got communication problems now, see what happens with someone who expects to control every detail of the campaign in charge. The first thing to go would be the real-time reporting of donations.

They can probably attract some talent in each state, and in specific areas like media, advertising, etc. They also could likely attract a person with strong non-campaign project management experience (e.g. the guy who quit his job at Google) to improve the day-to-day managment of the campaign.

Whats your suggestion Steve? You have always come across as an intelligent politico on this forum, any ideas?

WilliamC
01-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Just one example...precinct captains should have been started months ago.

I signed up for precinct captain last Friday. Today I still have no names for my precinct and no information about what types or how many slim jims I need.

I will get my own map of my precinct, and I will probably go ahead and incur the wrath of my wife and print my own slim jims. But do I just start going to every single door with the same generic slim jim? I thought the point of this was to target specific voters with information that is important to them.

Yes, I've contacted the website, my state coordinator (who doesn't yet have an email address) and posted about it here. So now what?

partypooper
01-09-2008, 10:43 AM

i agree that the complete change of strategy is in order but i disagree with your idea of choosing VP. in fact, i think the idea is preposterous. the public already thinks he is sort of crazy, and choosing members of the cabinet after coming 5th in two primaries will put him safely into the 'insane' category.

his VP candidate whether Walter Williams or Pat Buchanan could be elsewhere working on the campaign and getting the freedom message out to more people in better or different ways than Ron Paul alone can accomplish. Of course the same goes with John Stossel or Michael Scheuer and the other selections.

despite many political similarities, pat buchanan (and i suspect others you mentioned) would not agree to be VPs, not in these circumstances (two fifth places so far).

no, that's not the problem - it is that sort of thinking that brought us where we are now. the media is not ignoring dr paul "deliberately" - they are more interested in reporting on candidates who win or come in second. they don't talk about duncan hunter - or fred thompson for that matter - either.

the problem has been all along in dr paul refusing to engage the republican base and instead catering to independents and often far left. those people should have given us the edge in winning - but they can not comprise the majority of voters if we are to win republican nomination.

in addition, dr paul behaves as having an asperger of sorts: he talks about what he feels like talking about while completely disregarding questions and concerns of those listening to him. nobody expects him to say to people what he doesn't think is true - but i do expect him to answer questions actually posed instead of shifting to his pet themes of foreign and monetary policy regardless of the question actually posed.

realist
01-09-2008, 10:50 AM

How about political consultants? They are widely used and unless the campaign chooses to make an announcment (or they are "outed" by someone) they can work behind the scenes providing guidance and organizing those in the limelight.

realist
01-09-2008, 10:58 AM

I'm not sure I would agree with that.

I might rephrase that to say "our problem HASN"T been raising money".

That is a concern going forward if something doesn't change IMHO. I could be wrong but, our real time donations charts and graphs should show if the concern is legitimate or not very soon.

literatim
01-09-2008, 11:11 AM

I signed up for precinct captain last Friday. Today I still have no names for my precinct and no information about what types or how many slim jims I need.

I will get my own map of my precinct, and I will probably go ahead and incur the wrath of my wife and print my own slim jims. But do I just start going to every single door with the same generic slim jim? I thought the point of this was to target specific voters with information that is important to them.

Yes, I've contacted the website, my state coordinator (who doesn't yet have an email address) and posted about it here. So now what?

All precinct information is on your precinct leader page.

R_Harris
01-09-2008, 11:13 AM
My husband and I were discussing this very thing last night as we watched the election returns. The grassroots has gone above and beyond what any other candidate's has. We have given the official HQ at least three golden opportunities to make a MAJOR splash with the media and general population (the 5th, the blimp and the 16th). Then there was the 3rd quarter fund-raising totals. Did we see (even as supporters) any official press releases put out the day after any of these events? Nope. The media actually tried to give the campaign exposure after the 3rd quarter fund-raising totals and HQ dropped the ball and let the opportunity go by. And how many times has HQ failed to even return the calls of major talk-show and newscasters calls or, even worse, made the commitment for an appearance and then cancelled it at the last minute (which left a disgruntled show host out in the cold with time on their hands to do nothing but bash our candidate)? This campaign seems like it's being run by a bunch of young guys who get their knickers in a knot when they feel slighted over something and then go after petty 'revenge'. This is TOTALLY unacceptable and will NOT curry any favor with anyone except those other younger supporters who are of the same mind-set. We can NOT play in the big-leagues acting like 9th graders in high school.

I'm not going to call names as far as who it is at HQ that I think needs to be replaced but, we all know here who they are as we've all had the ball dropped by the same people there when major events came up that we needed their support on like media appearances and interveiws before the big rallies.

Just look at the mess in Iowa with the database and the lack of speakers for RP at each princinct. These are things that the official campaign should NOT be dumping in the laps of the grassroots folks who are, for the most part, passionate but inexperienced! Mistakes like these are too often simply unrecoverable!

On to NH - the grassroots was awesome! Period. The official campaign - not so, IMHO. The ads they ran were lackluster and they waiting until the last minute to run a negative ad - something you simply don't do in most major markets and especially in NH. You ALWAYS want to wind up with your positive messages, not with an ad with another candidate's name mentioned in it.

Also in relation to NH - I think we may honestly be looking at some vote count indiscrepencies. How can we possible have all those meetup members (some of whom may be too young to vote) and them not be able to garner even one vote a piece for Dr. Paul? I find this simply hard to believe.

There need to be some GOOD comparison ads run in the upcoming states and HQ needs to start actaully giving some support and maybe direction to the grassroots. Setting up the precinct captains section is good but I've never heard of a campaign that made these supporters BUY their own materials and signs!! Not with millions in the bank!!

Excellent post.

It saddens me to see the same mistakes being made today as they were in 1984 and 1988.

Folks, you have to understand something about Ron. He does not believe in, nor is he comfortable with "professional campaigning." It shows in his debate performances, it shows in his campaign staff and strategy.

Ron naively believes that if he just gets the chance to speak before any group, he can "convert" them in 5 minutes. It simply isn't true.

For every new person who says "where has Ron Paul been all of my life," there are 4 others who think he is an eccentric nutcase.

Look, the campaign has had roughly $30 MILLION DOLLARS to work with since last February. What do we have to show for it? Only 18,000 votes. That tranlates to $1,667 a vote. I will submit to you that it demonstrates incompetence from Headquarters. There is simply no "nice" way to put it.

McCain ditched his entire staff two months ago, was given up for dead, and he wins last night.

Anybody connecting the dots here?

Eponym_mi
01-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Nevermind funds, if positive primary results are not fast in coming, the grassroots is going to dry up along with the funding. HQ needs to get on the ball with some professional campaign managers NOW.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-09-2008, 11:25 AM
I concur...with the original poster. Any of the other Republican candidates would be doing better than we are if they had the same level of grassroots support. Sure Ron Paul is despised by the mainstream Republican Party and that's the worst problem he has, but it's a FACT that his original campaign was NOT expected to get this far.

We've done very good, considering what we're up against. But, we can do better.

BLS
01-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Excellent post.

It saddens me to see the same mistakes being made today as they were in 1984 and 1988.

Folks, you have to understand something about Ron. He does not believe in, nor is he comfortable with "professional campaigning." It shows in his debate performances, it shows in his campaign staff and strategy.

Ron naively believes that if he just gets the chance to speak before any group, he can "convert" them in 5 minutes. It simply isn't true.

For every new person who says "where has Ron Paul been all of my life," there are 4 others who think he is an eccentric nutcase.

Look, the campaign has had roughly $30 MILLION DOLLARS to work with since last February. What do we have to show for it? Only 18,000 votes. That tranlates to $1,667 a vote. I will submit to you that it demonstrates incompetence from Headquarters. There is simply no "nice" way to put it.

McCain ditched his entire staff two months ago, was given up for dead, and he wins last night.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

But like my Dad used to say 'Don't come to me with a problem. Come to me with a solution'.

What do we do?

Bradley in DC
01-09-2008, 11:26 AM

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=72640

Bradley in DC
01-09-2008, 11:27 AM
This a forum, no one from the campaign visits it.

Yes, most of them do.

Unspun
01-09-2008, 11:31 AM
With respect to your comment about whining. I havent felt this kind of passion for something in years. What I am seeing happen right before my eyes is VERY painful. I think the proper term should be VENTING not Whining.

Get used to it. I've been a Libertarian for as long as I have been interested in Politics. This is not only about getting Dr. Paul elected, this is about spreading a Libertarian, Constitutional message to the masses. It's very hard to do it without tons of media coverage, but I have never in my life seen anything like this, and it is very positive whether you realize that or not.

ConstitutionGal
01-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Excellent post.

I am also saddened by these latest 'non'-outcomes. I honestly don't think RP got into this race expecting to still be in after the first couple of debates. I think that just as Tom Tancredo jumped in just to make the others address the illegal immigration problem, Dr. Paul jumped in to make the others address foreign intervention and monetary policy. Then, a funny thing happened, the money started pouring in, the grassroots numbers sky-rocketed and he found himself at the head of a real movement in favor of Constitutional princples. He's said himself several times that we're cured his pessimism (translation: he pretty well expected to go nowhere with his campaign other than waking a few more people up). Now that the support and the money are actually there to continue, he nor the official campaign actually seem to have a game plan in place to effectively use either one. Will correcting this require a complete re-thinking of his campaign strategy? I think it does. Problem is, as has already been pointed out on this thread, the top guns in campaigning are either already taken or wouldn't be willing to come on board with a campaign with two fifth place finishes.

Our only hope, as I see it, is to run some top-notch campaign ads that concisely deal with issues AND solutions targeted to the top concerns in each of the upcoming states. One issue, whether some folks here like it or not, that has people all across the nation jumping up and down IS illegal immigration. People don't want to hear about how these poor illegals are being 'scape-goated' due to a bad economy - they want to hear what a President Ron Paul is going to do to fix the problem as oppsed to what the other candidates have actually DONE but are now SAYING:

1. Huckabee: used taxpayer dollars to help a Mexican Consulate come into Little Rock to aide the illegals already there. Wanted to give scholarships and in-state to tuition to illegal alien minors;
2. John McCain co-sponsored the amnesty bill with TED KENNEDY (how quickly people forget);
3. Fred Thompson voted for at least two bill while in the Senate that would allow employers to fire or lay off American workers and replace them with H1- and L1 visa holders;
4. Mitt Romney hired that landscaping company that he and his brother used for YEARS that hired all those Guatemalan illegals (MAYBE he didn't know about but the fact is that he still did it);
5. The Ghoul SUED in federal court to keep his sanctuary city and has made public statements about 'undocumented workers' being WELCOME in NYC.

Dr. Paul could SINK these other candidates IF he and the campaign would just do some really good ads and USE the above material, especially in South Carolina where numerous polls show that this is the NUMBER ONE issue to voters (especially the Republican BASE).

Bottom line, if HQ doesn't get the people in place who are capable of doing some professional and slick targeted ads, we'll be lucky to even get fifth in the states in the South and, without the South, the campaign is doomed to failure.

Do I LIKE having to say this? Hell no! Is it realistic? You BETCHA. Thing is, how do we convey our thoughts to HQ about this and actually get a response from someone with the power to actually address it?

mconder
01-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Sure, let's get some real Ivy League / CFR blood into this campaign. Just what we need to succeed...at being one of them!

Telling the truth is the right thing for RP to do, and I am very encouraged that there is 8-10% of the public who has embraced the truth. Our goal is to grow this number while not compromising the message, not to win elections.

This is an educational campaign, not a presidential campaign.

R_Harris
01-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Sure, let's get some real Ivy League / CFR blood into this campaign. Just what we need to succeed...at being one of them!

Telling the truth is the right thing for RP to do, and I am very encouraged that there is 8-10% of the public who has embraced the truth. Our goal is to grow this number while not compromising the message, not to win elections.

Unfortunately, an educational campaign and $2 will only get you a cup of coffee.

For the past 25 YEARS, I have endlessly heard this cry from Libertarians and others that we desperately need to "educate" the people.

Frankly, I really don't see that much progress has been made in the so-called "education" thrust to people to get them to "see the light."

Whatever education has taken place (and on a national, coordinated scale, it is not much at all), has had minimal impact. Just look at the national LP party - it has gone nowhere fast since Ed Clark got 980,000 votes in 1980.

I have viewed this campaign as the last ditch effort to stop the tide, but for reasons listed throughout this thread and others, we are not having much success.

I still think that yes, he does need to hire some big-time political consultants or marketing strategists (actually he should have done this a year ago) and come up with a last hour desperation strategy. It is the only chance he's got.

realist
01-09-2008, 12:23 PM

WOW! Please speak for yourself. Try running an ad with those words and see how much money pours in.

And if we're really all about honesty- why is every heading, website and advertisement based on the " Ron Paul's 2008 Presidential Campaign"? Please take look above... in the title bar. If this is an "educational campaign", many have been deceived to get them to contribute.

I assure you, the minute I beleive the majority here believe as you do, or that the campaign supports those thoughts, I and many others will leave you to your plan.

Mark
01-09-2008, 12:25 PM
The election in NH was stolen - there's EVIDENCE just starting to come in of vote fraud.

http://blackboxvoting.org/

mosquitobite
01-09-2008, 12:29 PM
they want to hear what a President Ron Paul is going to do to fix the problem as oppsed to what the other candidates have actually DONE but are now SAYING:

1. Huckabee: used taxpayer dollars to help a Mexican Consulate come into Little Rock to aide the illegals already there. Wanted to give scholarships and in-state to tuition to illegal alien minors;
2. John McCain co-sponsored the amnesty bill with TED KENNEDY (how quickly people forget);
3. Fred Thompson voted for at least two bill while in the Senate that would allow employers to fire or lay off American workers and replace them with H1- and L1 visa holders;
4. Mitt Romney hired that landscaping company that he and his brother used for YEARS that hired all those Guatemalan illegals (MAYBE he didn't know about but the fact is that he still did it);
5. The Ghoul SUED in federal court to keep his sanctuary city and has made public statements about 'undocumented workers' being WELCOME in NYC.

Dr. Paul could SINK these other candidates IF he and the campaign would just do some really good ads and USE the above material, especially in South Carolina where numerous polls show that this is the NUMBER ONE issue to voters (especially the Republican BASE).

For McCain, I'd add: McCain/Feingold and do NOT forget the Gang of 14 stunt! If the base has forgotten that they should be SHOT!

Cindy
01-09-2008, 12:38 PM

How much money have you sent HQ so far? What meetup group do you belong too, how much have you spent on campaign materials and how many hours have you put into campaigning for paul off of the internet?

Some of us have been at it since last Spring, also out in the streets, sending money to HQ and grassroots projects and buying our own material, with money we don't have- charged on credit cards.

We expected to see Paul spend more on Iowa and NH like his web-site said he would

It said. 12 Million to Win Iowa and NH. We sent him the 12 and them some, and find out he only spent 2 million between them.

We know Paul didn't create his won web-site. We are saying that if he expects to compete in the Big leagues, he needs to use the big league cash we gave him on Professionals.

If the strategy has been to save it for a sweep on super tuesaday states, instead of some low delegate early primaries, they should've been up front about it like Rudy's campaign has been so we know whats going on and how to best compliment and support the plan.

shasshas
01-09-2008, 12:54 PM
yes its not worth donating unless the campaiign is run to make ron win

i dont think they are serious abot him becoming president

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-09-2008, 12:56 PM
We need a professional campain manager and BETTER ADS. Ron only spent 1.5 million in NH on some really crummy ads that don't even mention his main issues. He should have spent 10 million in NH to win it.

partypooper
01-09-2008, 01:02 PM

i don't know how persuasive he thinks he is, but i do know that he is not persuasive, unless given generous time and very open-minded audience willing to dig deeper. which is to say, he is not persuasive at all in circumstances of presidental election.

he advocates great political positions, most of which can be successfully defended and substantial proportion of which resonates with the republican base. but he is terrible when it comes to articulating these positions and defending them against counter-arguments, even when those counter-arguments are common-place and when vast numbers of his own supporters could successfully defend them.

in addition, he is very bad in listening to questions actually posed and concerns actually raised and insists on talking about his favorite topics regardless of what the actual topic is. as a result, he is very repetitive which allows other candidates to prepare for his attacks and "steal" whatever buzzwords happen to be working (the constitution, founding fathers etc). when i saw him in one the first debates i thought that was merely a beginning of a serious discussion of foreign policy that we will finally be having. but as time passed by, he kept repeating a few phrases and examples from that first debate and there was no such discussion at all.

manny
01-09-2008, 02:56 PM
I am also saddened by these latest 'non'-outcomes. I honestly don't think RP got into this race expecting to still be in after the first couple of debates. I think that just as Tom Tancredo jumped in just to make the others address the illegal immigration problem, Dr. Paul jumped in to make the others address foreign intervention and monetary policy. Then, a funny thing happened, the money started pouring in, the grassroots numbers sky-rocketed and he found himself at the head of a real movement in favor of Constitutional princples. He's said himself several times that we're cured his pessimism (translation: he pretty well expected to go nowhere with his campaign other than waking a few more people up). Now that the support and the money are actually there to continue, he nor the official campaign actually seem to have a game plan in place to effectively use either one. Will correcting this require a complete re-thinking of his campaign strategy? I think it does. Problem is, as has already been pointed out on this thread, the top guns in campaigning are either already taken or wouldn't be willing to come on board with a campaign with two fifth place finishes.

Our only hope, as I see it, is to run some top-notch campaign ads that concisely deal with issues AND solutions targeted to the top concerns in each of the upcoming states. One issue, whether some folks here like it or not, that has people all across the nation jumping up and down IS illegal immigration. People don't want to hear about how these poor illegals are being 'scape-goated' due to a bad economy - they want to hear what a President Ron Paul is going to do to fix the problem as oppsed to what the other candidates have actually DONE but are now SAYING:

Bottom line, if HQ doesn't get the people in place who are capable of doing some professional and slick targeted ads, we'll be lucky to even get fifth in the states in the South and, without the South, the campaign is doomed to failure.

Do I LIKE having to say this? Hell no! Is it realistic? You BETCHA. Thing is, how do we convey our thoughts to HQ about this and actually get a response from someone with the power to actually address it?

I really hope someone from the HQ reads this post. Excellent stuff.

And the format could be used with many issues. Simplicity: Remind people of the problem, offer the solution. And, as in many cases it is, point out if Dr Paul is the only guy saying it.

As for the debate about getting more professional campaign managers I think it is a sad but undeniable fact of modern politics. Look at Bush - we all know the brains belong to others to whom he is just a puppet, told what to say. Look at Hillary - focus-grouped to within an inch of her life - I keep now seeing "ready for change" signs lol. Look at England - a man as ignorant and uninterested in politics as Tony Blair was prime minister for a decade thanks to having a guy called Campbell as his press chief - he would be utterly ruthless in suppressing bad stories and discrediting the journalists. And then bully people to run the favorable stories. All Blair could do was smile and sound good giving speeches written by other people. The truth is that many - easily a majority - of voters don't look online for hours about a candidate, having spent years reading poltical thought. They go with common sense, who seems honest and likely to appeal.

Now we all know Ron has well thought out policies, is honest, a kind man, that he was a doctor and in the Air Force and that he has repeatedly been proven correct on his predictions in economic policy and foreign policy. Yet people talk about Obama and Huckabee?? It's all about presentation. And the HQ should not shy away from it. It is sad but Ron needs to prepare answers better for TV. No two ways about it for mass appeal. And some ruthless, hard-headed political strategists are needed. There must be some up and coming ones or some with a maverick streak who would relish the chance to work for Paul: A guy all they have to do with is get the truth out.

On a related note - what is the situation with money? Does anyone understand what's going on? I assumed RP wanted the money to go "all in" for Iowa and NH, get 1st or 2nd then come away as a front-runner. Yet from the stats I've seen they hardly tried in these two states compared to other candidates. Is he going to save every cent then try to totally dominate national TV the week leading up to super tuesday? Or some other plan?

adpierce
01-09-2008, 03:02 PM
The election in NH was stolen - there's EVIDENCE just starting to come in of vote fraud.

http://blackboxvoting.org/

Do people like you deliberately look for vote fraud or what? If Ron Paul had been the winner in New Hampshire would you be so vigilant in looking for fraud? Of course you wouldn't because you would have thought it was sweet that Ron Paul had won and you wouldn't have questioned the vote at all. Give it up ... we lost ... period.