PDA

View Full Version : The Problem As I See It

WilliamC
01-09-2008, 05:52 AM
Everywhere I look, I see debt people.

People who are in debt up to their eyeballs for their house, their cars, their possessions.

People who think nothing of running up thousands on a credit card, 10's of thousands on car loans, hundreds of thousands on a mortgage.

People who think home equity is an ATM machine.

People who think by using credit cards and getting a 1% bonus they are beating the system.

People who have no savings.

People who live from paycheck to paycheck and consider themselves middle-class because they have a big screen TV with 300 channels.

Everywhere I look I see debt people, and these are the people voting our country into bankruptcy.

I'm not perfect, I've run my share of debt, and I still have a mortgage that I'm trying to pay off 20 years earlier than I have to.

But if the vast majority of people are STUPID enough, and yes I do mean STUPID enough to think living their personal lives deeply in debt is normal and smart thing to do, then why should I be surprised when they vote for politicians who promise them the moon on a 100 year payment plan?

Keep fighting the good fight for Ron Paul. I will. But take care of you and yours first. You will never be rich with credit card payments, student loan payments, car payments, or mortgage payments.

Debt is a trap, and the debtor is slave to the lender. Get out of debt, get out of bondage, then you will be free to become wealthy if you chose, or at least have peace of mind.

Just my 2 cents.

Well, actually I'll keep those two cents and apply them to my mortgage :)

IRO-bot
01-09-2008, 06:45 AM
+1 For Truth.

I have alot of debt. House and car. I used to be able to put extra on my mortgage every month to pay it off early. I can't anymore, my insurance went from $1000 to $2300 in one year and my property takes went up $600. Now I am living paycheck to paycheck and my wife has gotten a second job to try to help. But you are right. Debt = Slave.

Lars
01-09-2008, 06:49 AM
The majority will not see our point until they have lost everything. For a while longer they will look to the Government to "solve" the problem and they will by creating even more debt. In the end the Country will be bankrupt and then everybody will say, how did we get here? how did we allow this to happen?

And they will look at history and realize that this has happened hundreds of times before and they will realise that debt matters (of course) and that the Austrian School of Economics was right again.

Unfortunately the majority will probably not change their minds until i is way to late.

IRO-bot
01-09-2008, 06:59 AM
The majority will not see our point until they have lost everything. For a while longer they will look to the Government to "solve" the problem and they will by creating even more debt. In the end the Country will be bankrupt and then everybody will say, how did we get here? how did we allow this to happen?

And they will look at history and realize that this has happened hundreds of times before and they will realise that debt matters (of course) and that the Austrian School of Economics was right again.

Unfortunately the majority will probably not change their minds until i is way to late.

That or we will have a new "New Deal" and a NAU. Which I know us Revolutionary's will fight to the death.

WilliamC
01-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Blimp for morning folks.

As an aside, CALL YOUR LOCAL TALK RADIO SHOWS!

They are much easier to get onto than the national ones and it's a great free way to spread the message and get Ron Paul's name out.

We've got near 100,000 people in meetups, surely we should be dominating the talk radio airwaves!

amy31416
01-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Hold it there, pal, Bush told us to go out and go shopping in response to 9/11 and I'm damned well not gonna stop now. It's how I do my part! Business as usual....

You want the terrorists to win? The Axis of Evil will prevail with notions like this!

Fiscal conservatism is sooo yesterday.

WilliamC
01-09-2008, 09:16 AM
Hold it there, pal, Bush told us to go out and go shopping in response to 9/11 and I'm damned well not gonna stop now. It's how I do my part! Business as usual....

You want the terrorists to win? The Axis of Evil will prevail with notions like this!

Fiscal conservatism is sooo yesterday.

heh heh.

Well President Bush's advice seems to go over well with our consumer driven economy. I prefer the Ron Paul way. Pay as you go, keep a rainy day fund, don't borrow money from my children to finance my current lifestyle. I guess I just old-fashioned.

WilliamC
01-09-2008, 09:28 AM

Well Iowa and New Hampshire sure are proving you correct.

I'm not quite the "survivialist" type in that I don't see anarchy or riots coming to my neck-of-the-woods yet, but over the past few years I've gotten further and further away from materialism and the desire to possess the newest, bestest things.

My main problem is I don't seem to have the drive or motivation to be rich. I've read some of the Richard Kiosaki books and I see his point about how one's mindset determines one's income, but if left to my own devices I'd rather learn than earn. Even now I'm taking classes with the goal of getting enough college credits that I can teach mathematics at a community college, which I think would be an ideal job for me. If I didn't spend so much time lately politicing I'd be trying to teach myself Java programing too. I don't know why, it's just what I want to do.

But the only thing that let me change jobs and take a 1/2 cut in salary so I could work and go back to school was the fact that my family has no debt (except the house) and we have a pretty big cushion in savings. The only thing that let me take a job where I can spend time studying and such is the fact that I'm not a slave to Visa or GMAC or Sallie Mae or whoever.

Anyway, like I said above, I think the main problem is that people who are so unwise in their own finances are also going to be unwise in their choices of leaders as well. It's hard to vote for someone who wants to do less for you when you have the expectation that the world owes you something and the government is there to make sure you get it.