PDA

View Full Version : Is the message too intelligent.

Mopsus
01-09-2008, 12:14 AM
Does the average Joe even know what a "Constitutionalist" or "Libertarian" is? Do those words make the good doctor sound fringy?

Dr. Paul may be operating under the supposition that the average American reads something that is non-fiction and watches something other than Days of Our Lives.

Perhaps, it would help Dr. Paul's efforts to dumb down his message to let's say a level equivalent to a howling monkey. Don't use words with more than three syllables - that sort of thing.

For example:

Instead of "Non-Interventionist Foreign Policy" say, we've done our part, no more free rides, with no thanks. It’s high time for you rich, arrogant nations to fight it out amongst yourselves. Leave us alone, we’ll leave you alone.

Instead of "Strict Constitutionalist" say remember the purpose of that whole revolutionary war? Why should we trade one tyrant 5,000 miles away for 5,000 tyrants one mile away?

Instead of "limited federal government" repeatedly say: We want government to get out of our lives. Keep things local so that you can get elected state and local officials out of office easier if they run rough shod over you...

Instead of “gold standard” say what would you say if your brother-in-law said “ I’ll write you an IOU for your Corvette is that OK?”

Dr. Paul's message is true but, is it too complex? In light of tonight’s results, it's apparently just not getting through to the masses.

Indy Vidual
01-09-2008, 12:20 AM
Great post :)
``````

Actually, Ron is pretty good at explaining things, considering how smart he is.
Your idea to simplify even more might work.

1) Follow the constitution
2) End the wars
3) Sound money

He already tried to 'dumb-down', and perhaps he needs to go further?

CRAT0S
01-09-2008, 12:26 AM
.................................................. .................................................

noztnac
01-09-2008, 12:26 AM
See my What is War thread.

Yes. People are idiots. The solution is to be blunt as hell.

godawgs
01-09-2008, 12:27 AM
Hi Mop. I think you are dead on accurate and I am torn somewhat. Dr. Paul got to where he is by being who he is. His message as outlined is a big reason most of us support him. I think the biggest retooling that needs to take place for a republican primary are his foriegn policy soundbites. Not the core message, but how he says them.

It is my belief that he should leave out mentions of warmongering, neocons, 9/11 blowback and stick with the message of being fiscally conservative when talking to the republican base. That is the message that works best with the people I talk with that are Republicans. They understand how much the war costs fiscally when you talk to them about it, and challenging them on how you pay for it for me has created the most consensus to bring the troops home. Nine trillion dollars in debt, inflation, bankrupt by 2040, housing crisis, those are all things people get. But you have to find a really good way in thirty seconds of talking about cost.

You have to find a really good thirty second soundbite to explain your views on 9/11, which I have always felt has been his weakness. First and foremost highlighting that Dr. Paul did vote to go after Bin Laden. That he cares about security. That our borders are not secure, that border control agents have been sent to Iraq to help them secure their borders. All the talk about warmongering and neocons just doesn't come across well to the average joe. It may be true, but a debate is not the time or the place to give half answers because lets be honest his positions take more than thirty seconds to 'get.' Which is why I think we find him some refreshing but why many republicans think hes fringe.

I am tired of typing. In the end, all I am saying is the art of debate is something that takes practice. There are usually multiple ways of saying the same thing - and I think Dr. Paul doesn't always choose the best way to say what he wants to say to his audience.

mokkan88
01-09-2008, 12:41 AM
Okay, let's try this...

"HAI, MY NAME IS RON PAUL AND I APPORVE TIHS MESSANGE :]

I HAVE HELPING MAKED OVER 4000 BABBIES AND I AM A DOCTOR :]

I WANT TO COMPETLY MAK UR INCOME TAX GO ALL THE WAY GONE :]

THE ECONOMY IS IN BAD SHAPE THE FED IS BAD I WILL HELP :]

I WILL LET YOU KEEP UR GUNZ :]

DONT KILL BABBIES :]

I APPORVE TIHS MESSANGE AGAIN :]"

godawgs
01-09-2008, 12:46 AM
Okay, let's try this...

If you add some dancing bears I think you might be on to something.

Mopsus
01-09-2008, 12:46 AM
Okay, let's try this...

I think we're all a bit upset, but it may be time to put the Jack Daniels bottle down.

Thanks for helping out. ;)

Feelgood
01-09-2008, 12:50 AM
When pitching Ron, I always start it off like this.

Hey so and so, how would you like it if I could tell you how to get your boss to give you a *minimum* 15% raise, immediately? If I can tell you how to get this guaranteed raise, and it were comepletely legal, would you promise to do it?

Well great, the candidate Im voting for is Ron Paul, and you should too. You just promised to cast you vote for him, because he has already stated, that if he is elected, he will do away with the IRS entirely, the first week he is in office. If the IRS is gone, and you dont have to pay any income tax, your pay immediately goes up at least 15%, because you now get to take home every penny you make. Does that sound fair to you?

Well great! Dont forget on election day that you vote for Ron Paul, and together we can all make a difference for this country, and get to take home all of our earnings. :)

Then of course I tell them the homepage and send them to check it out. Works quite well. Its an easy way to relate to people. Everyone is hard up for money, and everyone HATES the IRS. Its a win/win pitch. :D

cindy25
01-09-2008, 12:52 AM
the message is fine, but the coverage sucks.

I know people who have little knowledge of politics, and when they listen they understand.

but instinct is to vote for a winner. and they are being told McCain or Rudy is the nominee.

T206
01-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Actually all you need to win is the following:

-Mitt Romney's hair cut and suit
-Obama's "hope" and "inspiration"
-Hillary's tears
-Huckabee's bible

These seem to be deciding votes more than the actual issues

Mopsus
01-09-2008, 12:58 AM
Hi ya Feelgood,

While you and I understand how we can dispose of the IRS and shockingly still get by. The average American is instilled with the "Death and Taxes" mentality. They've known no other way.

It's a huge hurdle to overcome. The economic reality of dispensing with the IRS, cutting the budget and still having the Sun rise in the morning is a dream to most.

How do we get that through to folks that simply feel that if I work hard I'll get a Tax refund from H & R block at the start of the New Year?

That's the pickle. It sound good rolling off the tongue, but I've found it's hard for people, most of whom are economically illiterate, to fathom as realistic.

Cinci4RP
01-09-2008, 01:16 AM
In one word.........

Yes.

I am astounded how many people that I talk to believe "they hate us because we're free"

90% of those I get to talk monetary policy to believe that the Federal Reserve is a Government entity. I had one guy say it's got to be it has Federal in it, I responded, so Federal Express is a government branch. HE THOUGHT IT WAS!!!

I have said before I worked for Home Depot for 10 years and learned that the average american is a blithering idiot, this campaign has solidified that opinion.

tomaO2
01-09-2008, 01:30 AM
For those that think his message is too complicated, read this.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/1/6/25723/26527/751/431492

A nine -year old child can understand his message. She got his points without any problems. Adults should be able to do the same. Don't blame voter stupidity. It's willful dismissal, it's total ideology. They have their minds set and won't let Ron Paul disrupt it.

Or perhaps they see everyone laughing at him and are influenced by that. I don't know but it's not because of the message. His message is dead simple.

MynameisRon
01-09-2008, 02:12 AM
Instead of “gold standard” say what would you say if your brother-in-law said “ I’ll write you an IOU for your Corvette is that OK?”

That is a very good point! I just saw this on youtube, to me this make it crystal clear.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=S5ti9oxP5fM

migueld
01-09-2008, 02:15 AM
If the media keeps calling him a long shot, kook, maverick..etc...sooner or later people buy into it. I got into a big argument with my girlfriends brother about Paul, he said i was wasting my vote....I told him a vote for freedom is never wasted...Oh well....

Blowback
01-09-2008, 02:15 AM
I think one way Ron could improve is by really focusing on ONE POINT AT A TIME. I know a genius mind like his interconnects all issues together (which is how it should be) but he needs to take the full 2 minutes or whatever you get for a question and talk about one issue.

For example, people are freaking stupid and tehy don't understand how or why the FED prints money. Hell, he should talk about that for every question he is asked.

He needs to just say " Listen up folks this is really important and it is the only thing I'm going to talka bout all night. THE GOV IS STEALING FROM YOU AND YOU DON't EVEN KNOW IT. DO YOU CARE? YOU SHOULD CARE AND THIS IS WHY..."

Naraku
01-09-2008, 02:19 AM
I am astounded how many people that I talk to believe "they hate us because we're free"

They do, but there's a pretty good unrelated reason why they flew airliners into our skyscrapers rather than France's.

figueir2
01-09-2008, 02:22 AM
Actually all you need to win is the following:

-Mitt Romney's hair cut and suit
-Obama's "hope" and "inspiration"
-Hillary's tears
-Huckabee's bible

These seem to be deciding votes more than the actual issues

Very true.
But seriously though, we should dumb it down when our time is limited and shift up the intellectual gear when we have a town hall meeting or something like that

Corydoras
01-09-2008, 03:37 AM
Mopsus, I think you are dead on. Ron Paul is so used to speaking with other legislators and writing for the Mises Institute crowd that he has forgotten that political science is actually a technical field.

I think grassroots ads need to do what you say, too. That's a big reason I like Jeremiah Black's and Braheem Hamadeh's ads.

Dave Pedersen
01-09-2008, 03:42 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=83427

Please check out this idea. Given our time frame I think this is one of the best ways to counter the learning curve.

tgannaway89
01-09-2008, 03:43 AM
It is like Lois running for mayor on Family Guy. She talks in depth and nobody responds. She says "9/11" and the crowd cheers. It is sarcasm but it really does represent a majority of the US. Anyone have this clip, by the way?

ADD: Here it is - http://www.jwharrison.com/blog/2007/05/14/family-guy-%e2%80%93-lois-runs-for-office-pretends-911-changed-everything/ (Watch Part 1 of 2)

HQ should watch this ;)

Enzo
01-09-2008, 03:46 AM
The message is good... but it tends to run off on all sorts of tangents.

This is probably natural, due to Dr. Paul's extensive knowledge.

But he would be much more effective if he was to stick to key issues.

For example... abortion, immigrants, abolishing the Department of Education etc... all important things... but all pale in comparison to our involvement in Iraq and the economic crisis this country is facing.

Mopsus
01-09-2008, 04:31 AM
Sorry guys...I'm so upset. I had to delete a previous message. I hate censorship. My dad died recently. I'm an Arab-American, that is just plain honked off about the course of my beloved nation. GO USA!

I heartily beileve that Dr. Paul is our last hold to freedom. HELP HIM!!!!!! Immigrant dream?

This may sound sappy, but while we were living in squire in Jordan, there existed the American dream was the land where you could pick nuggets of gold from the streets, I fear it may be gone .......Go figure--gold?. Ask me again why I love RP?

For my Dad, I will always vote for Dr. Paul or his progeny!

Fight the good fight, and may freedom ring for all to hear!!!!!!

Enzo
01-10-2008, 12:16 AM
Sorry guys...I'm so upset. I had to delete a previous message. I hate censorship. My dad died recently. I'm an Arab-American, that is just plain honked off about the course of my beloved nation. GO USA!

I heartily beileve that Dr. Paul is our last hold to freedom. HELP HIM!!!!!! Immigrant dream?

This may sound sappy, but while we were living in squire in Jordan, there existed the American dream was the land where you could pick nuggets of gold from the streets, I fear it may be gone .......Go figure--gold?. Ask me again why I love RP?

For my Dad, I will always vote for Dr. Paul or his progeny!

Fight the good fight, and may freedom ring for all to hear!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about your father. My condolences.

I lived in Amman for about 2 years when I was a kid. I'd love to be able to go back to Jordan some day.

jrich4rpaul
01-10-2008, 12:17 AM
America is too stupid to understand the message. We need to dumb things down.

quantized
01-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Could this be the reason why Ron is polling so bad with the older women demographics as reflected in the CNN exit poll....

jasonuher
01-10-2008, 12:19 AM
LOL, yes.

My wife's coworker and I were talking tonight:

Her: How did you guys do?
Me: Not too bad, but not as well as I'd hoped.
Her: It's probably because he's way too liberal for the Republicans, he wants to repeal the Patriot Act!
Me: liberal? Do you mean libertarian? Repealing the PA isn't really a liberal VS conservative issue.
Her: Sure... libertarian, liberal; they mean the same thing!

:rollseyes:

koob
01-10-2008, 12:29 AM
i think dr paul can be a little too smart sometimes. and it's unfortunate. i mean, i watch the debates and i can obviously see ron paul is MUCH SMARTER THAN THE REST. Even if you don't agree with dr paul you can see it, but i think some people aren't smart enough to get it. :(

ceitniear
01-10-2008, 12:33 AM
You wouldn't believe how many people I've talked to about Ron Paul that have no idea about what he's talking about, so I dumb it down for them, then they 'geddit!'

I talked to one guy that said 'Oh, that Ron Paul guy, he's an idiot! He makes no sense at all.'

I told him if he read the constitution, Ron Paul would make all kinds of sense to him.

My favorite was a guy that told me that the colleges in the electoral college have no business picking the president...*smacks head*

gaazn
01-10-2008, 01:03 AM
the random person thinks ron paul is a libertarian, and a lot of people don't like libertarians because to them it seems like there is less laws to maintain order.