PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul's campaign is wasting the meetup group support

agisthos
07-21-2007, 10:44 AM
I hope that what I say now will change in the future, but I think Ron Paul's campaign staff are being extremely wasteful of the meetup group troopers that have been assembling in hundreds of locations around the country.

There are now 20 thousand members and growing. A large proportion of these people would like to do something for the campaign instead of sit around and talk. All they need is directions.

Directions, directions, directions which should be coming from campaign HQ but none have been forthcoming. And im not talking about sending out an email for people to get to a rally. Im talking about step by step plans for grassroots activism.

For example I have seen a few 1 page flyers that some people have created and put into pdf format. Great. But why the hell has HQ not created their own advertising material that can then be sent out to every meetup group? The meetup groups then can get their own printing done at their own cost.

Where are the step by step instuctions on political doorknocking? I personally have no idea what the best approach and lines are when doorknocking a house for a political candidate. Neither would 98 % of the meetup group members. How about HQ sending out a detailed guide on how to do this?

Prehaps HQ are being swamped with work, or they do not realize the potential of all that manpower they now have at their disposal.

Thatguyuknow
07-21-2007, 10:46 AM
I think their HQ consists of like 4 people. (Really displays the inability of the few to manage many :D )

Who needs to wait for HQ? If you're ready and willing... go for it yourself!

Alabama Supporter
07-21-2007, 10:52 AM
We have swamped his staff. They were planning a 4 state campaign months ago, but now are undertaking a national campaign.

I agree that some of us need direction, but then there are others who are using creativity and might be hampered by directions from the campaign.

There will be legal guidlines posted on his website this week regarding FEC rules and stuff regarding paying for campaign material.

UCFGavin
07-21-2007, 10:54 AM
you also have to remember, they are in the constant process of upgrading offices. on top of that, they do NOT want to hinder the meetup groups in terms of creativity and action. we can't just wait around waiting for words from HQ, this is a campaign for the people, by the people.

BLS
07-21-2007, 10:59 AM
No, you are dead wrong.
If you have people sitting around 'waiting' to do something, then you need a new meetup leader.

I can come up with a list of 10 things right now that you could be doing.
If you're current meetup group isn't motivated, then somebody needs to step up.

kylejack
07-21-2007, 11:02 AM
They have the right idea. They just need to expand on it. The Call Iowa program, for example, was brilliant on their part. I agree that they should design some print ads and signs that we can use.

Thom1776
07-21-2007, 11:06 AM
That's the whole point of "grass roots". Regular people at the local level doing it themselves.

Each Meetup group knows what's best for their neck of the woods. What works in Connecticut might not necessarily work in California.

That's what makes this whole thing so exciting. Regular people who care enough about one man with a great vision to do things for him on their own time and with their own money.

Paul HQ knows what's going on and they know what they're doing. They are saving their money for when and where they will really need it: Big time television and radio advertising just before each primary and caucus.

In the mean time, the campaign is up to US.

Dan Klaus
07-21-2007, 11:09 AM
If you have people sitting around 'waiting' to do something, then you need a new meetup leader.

YES!!! Well said...

I can come up with a list of 10 things right now that you could be doing.

Post them my man...give 'em ideas..

Syren123
07-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Headquarters had a concall to share information about what they need from Meetup members and answer questions they have received so far.

It's clear that they are gearing up to do all the big stuff that candidates who win do.

To see the concall:

http://www.justin.tv/ron paul

Click on Archive, and set the time to 9 pm EST. The first few minutes will be stuff that we fanatics already know, but you'll enjoy hearing the answers to all the questions. It shows that even though they haven't done some of the things they address, we know that they are working on them.

-D

mtmedlin
07-21-2007, 11:28 AM
You must also remember that as we are spending money on the campaing we are very close to being i violation of campaign finance law. If we are receiving direction from headquarters. Then we are DEFINITELY in violation. Please remember that one, posts like this get used agaisnt us and two Ron Paul did manage to get himself elected 10 times.

BLS
07-21-2007, 11:35 AM
YES!!! Well said...

Post them my man...give 'em ideas..

1. Watch this video. If it doesn't give you an idea...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFSCXIffv1s

2. goto www.ronpaul2008.com and get his trifold flier in PDF. Have your local meetup group find a local printer and get some fliers printed up. Take them to a local WalMart parking lot, insert in windshield wiper, etc. or just go door to door with them.

3. At your local meetup, suggest a sign making effort and have them ready to be shipped to the next major event Ron Paul will attend. Ship them to that local meetup so they have plenty of signs available. It's not just about your local meetup area, it can be about helping out the others, that way, we act as ONE, not thousands of different groups.

4. Get them involved in the Call an Iowan project

5. Organize a caravan to the Iowa Straw Poll

6. Have your local meetup write up articles to send to the local newspapers.

7. Organize your local meetup to purchase billboard ads, radio ads, TV ads, newspaper ads

8. Organize your meetup to have a booth at your local State Fair, outdoor concerts, festivals, etc.

9. Get 100 Bumper Stickers for every member in your meetup group and have them give them away to others.

10. Provide a public service in the name of Ron Paul, such as the "SPAM Spartanburg" Project going on TODAY!

If you need help, or ideas how to do things, where to get materials, how to find media outlets, etc ....POST HERE...somebody can help you!!

Good Luck.

Wyurm
07-21-2007, 11:48 AM
The ONLY thing we really need from HQ is direction regarding FEC rules and what we should not say in ads etc, which according to another post will be comming out this week. The rest is up to you. Direction from HQ on how to help could actually inhibit some of the more active groups like Austin for example. So its best we take the initiative and be creative.

LibertyEagle
07-21-2007, 11:50 AM
What can Meetup groups order for free from HQ? I know about SlimJims. What else?

guntherg16
07-21-2007, 11:54 AM
Here's the link to the downloads from the website.

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/get-involved/

jorlowitz
07-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Here's an indexed list of things you could do to help Ron Paul's campaign (with links)

Ron Paul Activism Index (http://ronpaul2008.dabbledb.com/publish/theronpaulcampaignmasterdatabase/645dfe3d-7ac5-4d8f-bb77-4f6a19661bd5/getinvolved.html)

It's not that central planning is 'bad' per se, it just doesn't work without often institutionalizing blockages (like apathy and complacency among those 'waiting' for the HQs orders). It strikes me that lots of people are probably just not used to the way this whole thing can work. It goes wherever people take it, directions or not. For example, I originally had the same frustrations as the poster of this thread, that the Campaign should DO MORE, but then I thought about it... well, maybe they should just post a list of ideas and activities I thought... and then i thought about it some more... and I just made the list myself. The only thing the campaign is 'needed' for is coordinating huge projects for which the campaign has some legal door to. The rest is up for anyone who wants to go after it.

You can access other lists of Ron Paul facts, sites, and resources at The Ron Paul Database (http://theronpauldatabase.googlepages.com)

SwordOfShannarah
07-21-2007, 12:40 PM
1. Watch this video. If it doesn't give you an idea...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFSCXIffv1s

and lots more of these vids and ideas here:

http://www.RonPaulMeetUpVideos.com

LibertyEagle
07-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Ron Paul Supporters Conference Call

http://www.justin.tv/ronpaul/8492

I hadn't seen this before. I think it was just last Thursday. It has Justine, Jesse Benton and another guy talking about how we can help the campaign.

Agisthos, also check this out. The Ron Paul HQ will send you campaign literature for free.
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=xzgoSh_2b320xcwVbQMek2CQ_3d_3d

AlexAmore
07-21-2007, 02:30 PM
my meetup group just went door to door today. It's not hard at all. Go door to door with 2 or three people then it's really fun. We just walked all over town and chatted the whole time.

Here's what we did.

*Knock, Knock*
*Door opens*
You: Hi, we're Ron Paul campaign supporters. We just want to drop off some literature. *Hand the them the lit*

Have you heard of Ron Paul? No? Well he is....blah blah blah....(Just go over his positions and roll with the punches. So if they are liberal then talk about his libertarianism and those positions.)

It's not that hard. I did it and just this year i'm old enough to vote.

jasonhlasvegas
07-21-2007, 02:32 PM
I was frustrated about a week ago but then they gave me a list of Iowa phone numbers to call. On thursday 50 people attended the meetup meeting. In a week our first shipment of slim-jims will arrive. I think HQ is doing given the circumstances.

Lesgov
07-21-2007, 04:01 PM
I was at the same meetup as Alex, Me and another guy drove out of town and hit about sixty houses. There were about 20 of us broke up into two's. This is what it's going to take, go door to door. If your meetup group is not active enough, start going door to door by yourself. I think we got some good results with this.

PatriotOne
07-21-2007, 04:52 PM
For example I have seen a few 1 page flyers that some people have created and put into pdf format. Great. But why the hell has HQ not created their own advertising material that can then be sent out to every meetup group? The meetup groups then can get their own printing done at their own cost.

They do have some flyers here for printing for the goups:

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/get-involved/

Thomas_Paine
07-21-2007, 04:53 PM
My position is:

HQ should keep Meetups independent and relatively autonomous

BUT.... they MUST support us with campaign materials.

The current Slim Jims are excellent...FOR CONSERVATIVES! Many people don't care for Ronald Reagan (I'm not his biggest fan) so a pic with Ron may not be the biggest selling point for dems. HQ should design a Slim Jim for Dems/Libs have information about how Ron Paul has been on the front lines for legalized marijuana, industrial hemp, anti-war ect.

HQ should make a professionally produced DVD, have it reproduced for the lowest possible cost then send out shipments to every meetup group, 10 per member. When supplies are exhausted you can receive more.

jblosser
07-21-2007, 05:27 PM
We WILL NOT receive granular direction from the National PCC. They do not want to bring the FEC over the grassroots and kill what's going on. This is not speculation, nor is it an official response, but it is probably the closest thing you're going to get to a statement given the nature of their concerns.

That having been said, in the limited contact I've had with them (including the recent conference calls hosted by justin.tv) I would have to say it's a good thing they are keeping a distance. They aren't staffed or experienced enough with what's going on here online to keep up. This campaign is going to be won on the ground in the trenches and no national beast is going to be able to facilitate that fast enough to matter.

There is nothing better you can do than pick up a sign right now and go stand outside, or call Iowans. Paint your towns Ron and don't sit still.

AZ Libertarian
07-21-2007, 05:42 PM
bitch, bitch, bitch.

go do something.