PDA

View Full Version : Let's rally behind Ron Paul in a BIG and NOVEL way!

danda
07-21-2007, 05:17 AM
Fellow Ron Paul Supporters,

We all know that Dr. Paul has a lot of the support on the internet. We have seen the YouTube stats, the Alexa stats, the meetup stats, the technorati blogging stats, the online poll results, etc, etc.

But the problem with stats is that they are just faceless numbers. It is hard to visualize the people behind those numbers. And it is easy for detractors to claim those numbers are somehow faked.

So I was thinking about this issue, and about possible ways for us to more visually demonstrate our support online. I want to show all doubters that there are LOTS of people that are standing with Dr. Paul. I want to show that we are real people, and that it is popular to want freedom and less government, and an end to this war. I want to dispel the notion that Dr. Paul is a "longshot" by demonstrating that we the people stand with him.

I would like to hold a virtual rally online. A rally that lasts the length of the campaign. A rally that thunders out our support. I would like to see every person in the forums, every person in the meetup groups, every person that has donated to the campaign, every person that STANDS WITH RON PAUL -- become a part of this rally.

To this end, I have worked the past few days to create a new website with a simple and novel approach. I believe it to be the first of its kind. The website contains a single, ever-expanding photo mosaic. Each Ron Paul supporter may upload his or her photo, and it will be added to the mosaic. At first, with just a few photos, the mosaic photos are large, but they willl get smaller and smaller as we add more photos.

Also, each person is asked to make a brief statement about why they support Ron Paul, which state they live in, and some other details, most of which are optional. These messages of support appear in speech bubbles as you move your mouse around the mosaic. Clicking on a person will bring up a larger thumbnail photo.

I have created a test image with about 600 photos. It looks really great. I cannot wait to see how much greater the mosaic will look with thousands upon thousands of Ron Paul supporters, as it expands out and down for several screens.

Indeed, I think we should be able to create the largest human photo mosaic on the internet. This in itself would be newsworthy, and could attract more positive attention to the campaign. Further, I will be happy to release the mosaic into the public domain under a Creative Commons license so that we can create posters, t-shirts, and so on.

At this moment, mine is the only photo in the mosaic. Those who would stand with me in supporting Dr. Paul, head over to:

http://rally.ronpaulplanet.org/

Please forward this message to anyone and everyone you think might be interested.

ps, there will be a little surprise when we reach 500 people in the rally mosaic.

pps, for anyone on the fence about doing this: Think about the thousands of people who spent time and money to go to the real rallies to show their support for Dr. Paul. Joining this rally is free, and it takes just a couple of minutes. You can do it *right now*.

lynnf
07-21-2007, 05:43 AM

I would like to hold a virtual rally online. A rally that lasts the length of the campaign. A rally that thunders out our support. I would like to see every person in the forums, every person in the meetup groups, every person that has donated to the campaign, every person that STANDS WITH RON PAUL -- become a part of this rally.

I have created a test image with about 600 photos. It looks really great. I cannot wait to see how much greater the mosaic will look with thousands upon thousands of Ron Paul supporters, as it expands out and down for several screens.

Indeed, I think we should be able to create the largest human photo mosaic on the internet. This in itself would be newsworthy, and could attract more positive attention to the campaign. Further, I will be happy to release the mosaic into the public domain under a Creative Commons license so that we can create posters, t-shirts, and so on.

At this moment, mine is the only photo in the mosaic. Those who would stand with me in supporting Dr. Paul, head over to:

Please forward this message to anyone and everyone you think might be interested.

ps, there will be a little surprise when we reach 500 people in the rally mosaic.

pps, for anyone on the fence about doing this: Think about the thousands of people who spent time and money to go to the real rallies to show their support for Dr. Paul. Joining this rally is free, and it takes just a couple of minutes. You can do it *right now*.

I really like this idea! Thanks so much for setting it up. I added mine.

Let's go!

lynn

lynnf
07-21-2007, 05:51 AM
Could someone make this a sticky so that everyone can see it at the top? That
is very important for this thread!

lynn

TheEvilDetector
07-21-2007, 05:54 AM
gENIOUs !!

Your idea although 100% original, reminds me for some reason of the million dollars this guy raised to pay for college when he was selling million pixels for advertising.

good luck :)

danda
07-21-2007, 06:02 AM
I really like this idea! Thanks so much for setting it up. I added mine.

Great. And then there were two....

If we keep doubling every 5 minutes, there could be billions of us in mere hours. hahaha. :D

danda
07-21-2007, 06:09 AM
gENIOUs !!

Your idea although 100% original, reminds me for some reason of the million dollars this guy raised to pay for college when he was selling million pixels for advertising.

Yeah, I've heard of that guy. Except this likely won't make me a penny, and if it does somehow then I'll throw most of it into promoting the campaign.

good luck :)

Thanks! -- and where's your pic? :p

inibo
07-21-2007, 06:17 AM
My picture is not visible yet, but make it three.

Johnnybags
07-21-2007, 06:27 AM
Now all you insurgents can land on the NSA database with pics attached! LOL. Just kidding but it would not surprise me if General Hayden himself set up something like this. I will have to pass on this since my pic' would probably crash the site. Great idea though.

danda
07-21-2007, 06:38 AM
Now all you insurgents can land on the NSA database with pics attached! LOL.

Well, I did make name *optional*. :)

I will have to pass on this since my pic' would probably crash the site. Great idea though.

Lame excuse! :p Not to worry though, the pics will get smaller and smaller until they are just 50x50. Or even 32x32 or 16x16 if necessary.

TheEvilDetector
07-21-2007, 06:49 AM
Well, I did make name *optional*. :)

Lame excuse! :p Not to worry though, the pics will get smaller and smaller until they are just 50x50. Or even 32x32 or 16x16 if necessary.

Hahaha, you think you are safe? My secret sources tell me that fully 500 billion of tax payer dollars went into NSA budget last year to build a computer that can figure out a person's face, name, and home address from one pixel. ;)

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-21-2007, 06:50 AM
Done. Cool!

quickmike
07-21-2007, 06:58 AM
count me in

quickmike
07-21-2007, 07:07 AM
We need to get this thing to ronpaul2008.com and ronpaul hq and any other place we can think of.

JohnCrabtree
07-21-2007, 07:07 AM
Just joined, this is an excellent idea!

danda
07-21-2007, 07:10 AM
We need to get this thing to ronpaul2008.com and ronpaul hq and any other place we can think of.

How about Rachel, the Ron Paul junkie? Would be great if she could help get the word out.

inibo
07-21-2007, 07:15 AM
Danda, I hope you have http://rally.ronpaulplanet.org/ running on a pretty robust box cause it is gonna be getting hammered.

danda
07-21-2007, 07:23 AM
Danda, I hope you have http://rally.ronpaulplanet.org/ running on a pretty robust box cause it is gonna be getting hammered.

I hope it gets hammered! that's a sign of success and support!

Well, it is a run-of-the-mill dedicated server doing almost nothing else. Also, the image and front-page are pre-generated so it should just be serving 99% static content, which is fast/easy.

If traffic gets crazy, there may be some growing pains, but I'll handle 'em one way or another. ( famous last words? we'll see. )

quickmike
07-21-2007, 07:27 AM
I hope it gets hammered! that's a sign of success and support!

Well, it is a run-of-the-mill dedicated server doing almost nothing else. Also, the image and front-page are pre-generated so it should just be serving 99% static content, which is fast/easy.

If traffic gets crazy, there may be some growing pains, but I'll handle 'em one way or another. ( famous last words? we'll see. )

If the pictures get smaller as people add them, it shouldnt be too much strain on the server really should it? Maybe they should sticky this so it gets full exposure. Just an idea.

jcbraithwaite7
07-21-2007, 07:42 AM
Done!

danda
07-21-2007, 08:00 AM
If the pictures get smaller as people add them, it shouldnt be too much strain on the server really should it? Maybe they should sticky this so it gets full exposure. Just an idea.

Yeah, it would be a good idea to sticky it eventually. I'm not sure who all have rights to do that. Hopefully this thread stays alive today with people posting here after they've uploaded photos.

My hope/plan is to get 100+ people from this forum to upload photos - hopefully we can do that over the weekend. At that point, the mosaic starts to look impressive and interesting. It should make a good seed. So then I will try and contact some meetup leaders and anyone else I can think of with a public platform to help spread the word.

Any comments y'all have for polishing the wording on the site would be helpful as well. Or any rough edges you encountered that need a little polishing.

danda
07-21-2007, 08:21 AM
7 photos in 2 hours is good, but its not GREAT! Especially as this thread has over 200 views already.

Let's keep those photo uploads coming okay? It would be really great to have 100-200 photos in the mosaic by Monday so we can start getting the word out to a wider audience.

If there's something technical or wording-wise that is stopping you, please let me know. I'll do my best to resolve it.

( ps, I'll chill out for a while now. It is still before breakfast after all. :) )

Thor
07-21-2007, 08:30 AM
I think it is great. But if you really want to make others outside Paul take notice and count it as real, what do you have to make sure it is unique per person? So somebody does not upload 10 photos (of random people) and over inflate the numbers / photos?

I know this sounds "extreme", but if you want this thing to be taken as each person has 1 face on there, you should think of doing something like getting a phone number where people call in and type in the code they were given on the site, and capture the caller ID, so then it is 1 face per phone number. Which will not make it 1 per person, but at least 1 per number (which in theory would be about 3 or 4 at the most, but far more likely to be just 1)

Just a thought. I think it is a great idea and it looks good. But I am afraid that if it gets large, it can be marginallized, like all online polls do. Due to "spammers".

Sematary
07-21-2007, 08:32 AM
I just uploaded mine.

nullvalu
07-21-2007, 08:38 AM
very cool idea, i love it! I just put my photo up.. let me know if you'd like a hand with anything, i'm a web/application developer by trade..

Sematary
07-21-2007, 08:39 AM
7 photos in 2 hours is good, but its not GREAT! Especially as this thread has over 200 views already.

Let's keep those photo uploads coming okay? It would be really great to have 100-200 photos in the mosaic by Monday so we can start getting the word out to a wider audience.

If there's something technical or wording-wise that is stopping you, please let me know. I'll do my best to resolve it.

( ps, I'll chill out for a while now. It is still before breakfast after all. :) )

It should be immediately obvious where to go to upload a photo (it's not). Perhaps changing "about this image" to "upload your image here" would be better.

jblosser
07-21-2007, 09:01 AM
It should be immediately obvious where to go to upload a photo (it's not). Perhaps changing "about this image" to "upload your image here" would be better.

Yeah, I had this thought too.

This is a great idea, though. I just sent it to all the DFW/Austin meetups.

I'll upload as soon as I get a decent picture around...

danda
07-21-2007, 09:03 AM
I think it is great. But if you really want to make others outside Paul take notice and count it as real, what do you have to make sure it is unique per person? So somebody does not upload 10 photos (of random people) and over inflate the numbers / photos?

I thought about this a bit beforehand.

FIrst, I thought of charging $1 per person. Typically, any sort of fee deters spammers. However, it can also deter a lot of non-spammers, and lead to a dead project. So I didn't go that route.

Of course, I could use cookies or IP based tracking. However, both have their limitations, and I'm not very interested in half-measures. IP-based tracking casts too wide a net. People from the same family or company behind NAT would only be allowed a single upload. Cookies can be easily defeated, as can IP. Delete the cookies, renew your DHCP IP address, or use another computer with a different IP.

In the end it came down to being realistic. No form of online polling is ever provably spam-free.

So what I did is include a *small* user agreement whereby the person states they will not upload more than one photo. This is more than most polls have.

Further, if it does get big and popular enough to attract spammers and that people *care* if it is being manipulated, then we are already well on the way to accomplishing the goals, which are promoting and showing support for Ron Paul and creating a really big mosaic image.

And also if gets big, I will implement some sort of user flagging system so that people can easily flag abusive behavior.

I know this sounds "extreme", but if you want this thing to be taken as each person has 1 face on there, you should think of doing something like getting a phone number where people call in and type in the code they were given on the site, and capture the caller ID, so then it is 1 face per phone number. Which will not make it 1 per person, but at least 1 per number (which in theory would be about 3 or 4 at the most, but far more likely to be just 1)

Just a thought. I think it is a great idea and it looks good. But I am afraid that if it gets large, it can be marginallized, like all online polls do. Due to "spammers".

I had not considered this option. If you know of a simple and free (or very low cost) way for me to integrate this, please let me know. For example, is there a website that provides this service?

thanks.

rajibo
07-21-2007, 09:07 AM
This reminds me of THIS (http://www.sorryeverybody.com/gallery/1/) site from after the 2004 election where everybody uploaded photos holding up signs apologizing to the world for electing George W. again.

Thor
07-21-2007, 09:20 AM
I thought about this a bit beforehand.
I had not considered this option. If you know of a simple and free (or very low cost) way for me to integrate this, please let me know. For example, is there a website that provides this service?

angel.com provides this, but it is not free. Pretty low cost if you get a VA telephone (instead of toll free), but still cost $.

They provide a phone number, and you can do voice prompts, and tie into a database (for the unique code to be linked to the caller id)

Then you can run a query against all caller id fields when a new caller comes in and deny them if the number has called before.

Just a thought to help remove the "spammer" aspect from outsiders eyes. Might be more than you want to do though...

Might be cheaper solutions too...

danda
07-21-2007, 09:29 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I changed it to "Rally Info and Photo Upload", which I think conveys both meanings succinctly.

danda
07-21-2007, 09:32 AM
angel.com provides this, but it is not free. Pretty low cost if you get a VA telephone (instead of toll free), but still cost $.

They provide a phone number, and you can do voice prompts, and tie into a database (for the unique code to be linked to the caller id)

Then you can run a query against all caller id fields when a new caller comes in and deny them if the number has called before.

Just a thought to help remove the "spammer" aspect from outsiders eyes. Might be more than you want to do though...

Might be cheaper solutions too...

I'll take a look at them. thanks for the pointer. I couldn't work on that until next week though, earliest.

UCFGavin
07-21-2007, 09:55 AM
i'm in

danda
07-21-2007, 10:25 AM
i'm in

All right, All right! The more the merrier.

Come on in folks, the water is just fine.

qednick
07-21-2007, 10:35 AM
Awesome idea!! Just uploaded myself. :D

BLS
07-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Done. I wanted to do something like this a while back, but never found a decent way to do it.

Very well done, and I will pass on the word.

nayjevin
07-21-2007, 01:11 PM
infinibump

Roxi
07-21-2007, 01:20 PM
i just added mine too, and im sending out an email to my meetup groups and a myspace bulletin as well!

qednick
07-21-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm surprised there's not more people on it already. :confused:

Also, has anyone else noticed the bulk of people are from Texas. Weird.

qednick
07-21-2007, 01:25 PM
i just added mine too, and im sending out an email to my meetup groups and a myspace bulletin as well!

Are you 5 year old Olivia?? :confused: :eek:

qedtanya
07-21-2007, 01:34 PM
Thanks for doing this! This is so awesome! I'm going to post this to our myspace group and meetup group! Thanks again!

Thanks hubby for telling me about it! Love you!

danda
07-21-2007, 01:36 PM
The mosaic photos are starting to get just a bit smaller now.

You can notice it best if you actually click on a photo -- then you will see the original photo of that person popup, and it is bigger.

This will continue for quite a ways, until we see lots and lots of people on a single screen.

Yeah!

It is exciting to see it working. Thanks to everyone who has posted a photo and that is helping to get the word out!

qednick
07-21-2007, 01:39 PM
The mosaic photos are starting to get just a bit smaller now.

You can notice it best if you actually click on a photo -- then you will see the original photo of that person popup, and it is bigger.

This will continue for quite a ways, until we see lots and lots of people on a single screen.

Yeah!

It is exciting to see it working. Thanks to everyone who has posted a photo and that is helping to get the word out!

Actually the photos stay the same for me but the page is getting wider. I'm using Safari browser on a Mac.

RP08
07-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Done. Very cool idea.

so... how long does it take for the newly uploaded pic to appear?

danda
07-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Done. Very cool idea.

so... how long does it take for the newly uploaded pic to appear?

It should normally appear within 1 minute. You need to reload the page though.

RP08
07-21-2007, 01:58 PM
Thar 'tis. Cool.

Also posted/linked your info on my new RP forums:

http://www.nmforronpaul.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48&p=55#p55

Roxi
07-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Are you 5 year old Olivia?? :confused: :eek:

LMAO no im roxi.... i do happen to know olivia ;) shes a HUGE fan of RP cuz her mommy is...and she helps make lots of signs and holds them too!

ps im actually not the one that added her

qednick
07-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Haaaa now I see you on there :cool:

wtbuser
07-21-2007, 03:49 PM
I don't know if this is a good idea or not.. but I've seen year long video compilations of the same person, each frame being a picture of that person when they look in the mirror (or get dressed, etc). What if we did just a huge compilation of pictures of ourselves, each frame being a true Ron Paul supporter (preferably wearing Ron Paul stuff). If we had a 10 minute video of that... that would be thousands of visual proof.

Something like this, but instead of the same person just thousands of Ron Paul supporters.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55YYaJIrmzo or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B26asyGKDo and maybe we could look a little happier.

qednick
07-21-2007, 05:20 PM
danda, did you promote this anywhere else yet?

belian78
07-21-2007, 06:17 PM
done.

Craig_R
07-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Wife and I are there

Craig_R
07-22-2007, 02:08 AM
bump, and add a picture already

Cindy
07-22-2007, 02:23 AM
Neat idea! I'll get hubby and I in there soon! Is going to end up in the shape of the United States?

lynnf
07-22-2007, 07:54 AM
OK, not bad for 1 day's collecting, and a weekend day at that.
Anyone not posting because they don't have a digital picture of
themselves?

Anyone not posting because they are concerned about biometrics
collection by the government -- not to worry, they already have
it if you have a picture on your driver's license.

lynn

Sematary
07-22-2007, 08:47 AM
It's looking good. More people need to do this

qednick
07-22-2007, 10:58 AM
danda, I think you need to add a way for people to add themselves if they don't have a photo available.

A few people don't have scanners, etc. and may not have a pic available. There may also be people who don't want their pic up their but want to support it.

I suggest you add an option where the user can use a silouette or something. Perhaps a standard pic of someone wearing a 'V for vedetta' mask or something like that.

Craig_R
07-22-2007, 11:06 AM
I thought I'd wake up this morning and see hundreds upon hundreds of supporters... where did everybody go?

qednick
07-22-2007, 11:17 AM
I thought I'd wake up this morning and see hundreds upon hundreds of supporters... where did everybody go?

I thought so too but maybe it's just a case of getting the word out plus people getting around to uploading their photo. We have more members in our local meetup group than what's currently on the page right now - and I currently only see one other member of our meetup group on there besides my wife and me.

If campaign HQ emailed everyone with the link then I'm sure it would get flooded pretty damned quick.

mport1
07-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Is there any way you could put a counter on there so we can see how many people are listed?

Lord Xar
07-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Fellow Ron Paul Supporters,

We all know that Dr. Paul has a lot of the support on the internet. We have seen the YouTube stats, the Alexa stats, the meetup stats, the technorati blogging stats, the online poll results, etc, etc.

But the problem with stats is that they are just faceless numbers. It is hard to visualize the people behind those numbers. And it is easy for detractors to claim those numbers are somehow faked.

So I was thinking about this issue, and about possible ways for us to more visually demonstrate our support online. I want to show all doubters that there are LOTS of people that are standing with Dr. Paul. I want to show that we are real people, and that it is popular to want freedom and less government, and an end to this war. I want to dispel the notion that Dr. Paul is a "longshot" by demonstrating that we the people stand with him.

To this end, I have worked the past few days to create a new website with a simple and novel approach. I believe it to be the first of its kind. The website contains a single, ever-expanding photo mosaic. Each Ron Paul supporter may upload his or her photo, and it will be added to the mosaic. At first, with just a few photos, the mosaic photos are large, but they willl get smaller and smaller as we add more photos.

Also, each person is asked to make a brief statement about why they support Ron Paul, which state they live in, and some other details, most of which are optional. These messages of support appear in speech bubbles as you move your mouse around the mosaic. Clicking on a person will bring up a larger thumbnail photo.

Good idea... I will send mine in a few.

lynnf
07-22-2007, 03:39 PM
1,000+ views of the thread, and not many pictures have been added,
c'mon everybody

lynn

lynnf
07-22-2007, 06:23 PM
I have to protest the guy that put the cartoon picture on there, if you let one
do it, others will want to do it, too! That is not what this is for.

lynn

Craig_R
07-22-2007, 07:14 PM
whats the deal?

camera shy?

nayjevin
07-22-2007, 07:54 PM
added mine

ronpaulhawaii
07-22-2007, 09:09 PM
I joined hours ago during lunch, not growing as fast as I'd figured

C,mon everyone stand up and be counted

Revolution9
07-22-2007, 09:49 PM
The reason it is not growing fast is that when you mouseOver the upload link the instruction window is overlayed with the link to upload but no matter how you move the mouse, with button up or down, as soon as it goes off the main link the instruction window with upload link disappears. I am on MacIntel with Safari. Once this mouseEvent problem is ironed out I will upload my pic.

Best Regards
Randy

cujothekitten
07-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Photo added :D

angelatc
07-22-2007, 10:42 PM
#5 "blueprint from Ohio" is a funny guy, but he's not really a supporter. He's mocking us and Dr Paul.

RP08
07-22-2007, 11:08 PM
I think it's a very cool and fun project and I'm glad to be a part of it. email your friends.

lynnf
07-23-2007, 03:25 AM
hey, Christina from Florida is on there 3 times - no cheating!

lynn

Craig_R
07-23-2007, 06:59 AM
hey, Christina from Florida is on there 3 times - no cheating!

lynn

yeah, I see a couple multiples

mdh
07-23-2007, 07:05 AM
Bunch of cute girls on thar.

Razmear
07-23-2007, 08:02 AM
Added a pic of me and my wife, and let the local meetup know about the site.

Is there any sort applied to the pictures? by zip code or donation amount?

eb

yongrel
07-23-2007, 08:28 AM
is this on digg.com yet?

can someone post the link for where to digg it?

qednick
07-23-2007, 09:14 AM
The reason it is not growing fast is that when you mouseOver the upload link the instruction window is overlayed with the link to upload but no matter how you move the mouse, with button up or down, as soon as it goes off the main link the instruction window with upload link disappears. I am on MacIntel with Safari. Once this mouseEvent problem is ironed out I will upload my pic.

Best Regards
Randy

My wife and I both had that exact same problem. It took some doing but we got it eventually.

yongrel
07-23-2007, 09:43 AM
digg it here:

http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Online_Rally_Mosaic_Show_R_o_n_P_a_u_l_your_suppor t

mconder
07-23-2007, 10:15 AM
I really love this idea. It's inspiring to see the many faces of Ron Paul!

yongrel
07-23-2007, 10:34 AM
aside from counting them by hand, is there a way for me to see the number of people participating?

Craig_R
07-23-2007, 11:29 AM
aside from counting them by hand, is there a way for me to see the number of people participating?

its finally getting hard to count , I was worried there for awhile

BornOnEarthDay
07-23-2007, 11:59 AM
first reaction: nothing but white people. that's not the case but just my first reaction to the images, sorry. I'm adding my pic with Poet from OZ

ronpaulhawaii
07-23-2007, 12:35 PM
[QUOTE=Thor;80517]I think it is great. But if you really want to make others outside Paul take notice and count it as real, what do you have to make sure it is unique per person? So somebody does not upload 10 photos (of random people) and over inflate the numbers / photos?
QUOTE]

last night we had a sub-meeting and 6 patriots uploaded thru my box/3g ph. modem. Any control measures should take this into acct.

Thanks again for doing this,

mkauai

lynnf
07-23-2007, 06:26 PM
first reaction: nothing but white people. that's not the case but just my first reaction to the images, sorry. I'm adding my pic with Poet from OZ

Well, that's a good point, but we're only just getting started. Know any non-whites
that we can turn on to RP?

lynn

Roxi
07-23-2007, 07:40 PM
it gets bigger every 10 minutes now, my favorite pics are the guys with the ass beers to go sign, and the guy with his face pressed up against glass...too funny

i do wish you could sort pics by time added or something

danda
07-23-2007, 10:01 PM
I don't know if this is a good idea or not.. but I've seen year long video compilations of the same person, each frame being a picture of that person when they look in the mirror (or get dressed, etc). What if we did just a huge compilation of pictures of ourselves, each frame being a true Ron Paul supporter (preferably wearing Ron Paul stuff). If we had a 10 minute video of that... that would be thousands of visual proof.

Something like this, but instead of the same person just thousands of Ron Paul supporters.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55YYaJIrmzo or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B26asyGKDo and maybe we could look a little happier.

This is interesting. If anyone with the photo editing skills would like to give it a crack, I can get you easy (bulk) access to the 200x200 images. I'm not storing anything larger for disk space reasons.

Also, if I have time, I might add a slideshow feature one day soon.

danda
07-23-2007, 10:03 PM
danda, did you promote this anywhere else yet?

No, and I've actually been away from the net since Sunday. Checking in, it looks like the response has been good .. up to about 460 photos now. ( I need to add a counter! ) So I guess people have been promoting it.

Word of mouth is probably the most effective promotion, and it seems like it is working so far. :)

danda
07-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Neat idea! I'll get hubby and I in there soon! Is going to end up in the shape of the United States?

Haha, nope! I wasn't ambitious enough to go for a cool shape, especially as I threw the site together in just a few days. That is a good idea though.

I may look into doing that if I can find the time. thanks for the suggestion!

danda
07-23-2007, 10:12 PM
danda, I think you need to add a way for people to add themselves if they don't have a photo available.

A few people don't have scanners, etc. and may not have a pic available. There may also be people who don't want their pic up their but want to support it.

I suggest you add an option where the user can use a silouette or something. Perhaps a standard pic of someone wearing a 'V for vedetta' mask or something like that.

I'm not big on this idea actually. The image is powerful because it shows photos/faces of real people.

I think that in this day/age most people have access to a digital camera in one form or another ( eg, cell phone ) and at least know someone that can upload it, even if they themselves don't know how.

Alternatively, I suggest that this could be a meetup activity: take photos of people at the door, and even have a computer available for uploading.

danda
07-23-2007, 10:14 PM
Is there any way you could put a counter on there so we can see how many people are listed?

yes, I plan to do that. it should be up tomorrow.

danda
07-23-2007, 10:15 PM
I have to protest the guy that put the cartoon picture on there, if you let one
do it, others will want to do it, too! That is not what this is for.

lynn

thanks for the report lynn. I'm away from comp right now ( well, at an inet cafe ). But I'll review tomorrow and clean out any non-relevant content.

danda
07-23-2007, 10:17 PM

Best Regards
Randy

I'll take a look at how to improve this tomorrow. thanks for the report Randy.

danda
07-23-2007, 10:18 PM
yeah, I see a couple multiples

I'll do some cleanup tomorrow when I am back at home. Also, as it seems to becoming popular, I'll see about adding a community reporting mechanism for dups and abusive or non-relevant content.

cheers!

danda
07-23-2007, 10:19 PM
Added a pic of me and my wife, and let the local meetup know about the site.

Is there any sort applied to the pictures? by zip code or donation amount?

eb

nope. Currently there is no sorting. it is regenerating in a new random order and layout each time a new photo is uploaded.

danda
07-23-2007, 10:23 PM
[QUOTE=Thor;80517]I think it is great. But if you really want to make others outside Paul take notice and count it as real, what do you have to make sure it is unique per person? So somebody does not upload 10 photos (of random people) and over inflate the numbers / photos?
QUOTE]

last night we had a sub-meeting and 6 patriots uploaded thru my box/3g ph. modem. Any control measures should take this into acct.

Thanks again for doing this,

mkauai

Yes, I took it into account. This is one of the reasons I opted for a small user-agreement / honor system -- instead of enforcing IP or cookie based restrictions ( that people can get around anyway if determined). I posted a longer explanation of my rationale earlier in this thread for anyone interested.

giskard
07-23-2007, 10:50 PM
Done.

lynnf
07-24-2007, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=ronpaulhawaii;83487]

Yes, I took it into account. This is one of the reasons I opted for a small user-agreement / honor system -- instead of enforcing IP or cookie based restrictions ( that people can get around anyway if determined). I posted a longer explanation of my rationale earlier in this thread for anyone interested.

what about the cartoon pictures? will those still be allowed -- I hope not!

lynn

danda
07-24-2007, 12:59 PM
[QUOTE=danda;84681]
what about the cartoon pictures? will those still be allowed -- I hope not!
lynn

No, those are not allowed. Each person that uploads a photo agrees that, amongst other things:

"The image I am uploading is of myself or someone that has authorized me to upload a photo on their behalf."

I just went through and removed the cartoon picture ( I just found one so far ) and several dups. The dups are probably just people hitting the submit button twice by accident. Anyway, I'll write a script to automatically detect dups.

danda
07-24-2007, 01:03 PM

Done! Check it out.

nullvalu
07-24-2007, 01:04 PM
Done! Check it out.

good job, i was going to request that as well

RP08
07-25-2007, 03:16 PM
bump TTT

Joe Knows
07-25-2007, 03:42 PM
[QUOTE=lynnf;85367]

No, those are not allowed. Each person that uploads a photo agrees that, amongst other things:

"The image I am uploading is of myself or someone that has authorized me to upload a photo on their behalf."

I just went through and removed the cartoon picture ( I just found one so far ) and several dups. The dups are probably just people hitting the submit button twice by accident. Anyway, I'll write a script to automatically detect dups.

Sorry that was probably me. I uploaded my avatar. I guess I will have to go out and take a picture.

jnpg
07-25-2007, 04:03 PM
cool- did it

Broadlighter
07-25-2007, 04:08 PM
Just uploaded mine, but didn't see it right away. Does it take a while or did I miss an all-important step?

RP08
07-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Just uploaded mine, but didn't see it right away. Does it take a while or did I miss an all-important step?

Takes a few minutes. Give it around 5 and check back.

danda
07-25-2007, 04:24 PM
I just added a small FAQ to the rally site. Please check it out, and let me know if there is anything missing, that doesn't make sense, etc. thx!

Keith
07-25-2007, 04:41 PM
I added my picture early this morning, but I still don't see it. Are there pictures hidden behind the photo of Ron Paul in the middle?

By the way, thanks for creating this page. I think it is a great idea.

danda
07-25-2007, 05:40 PM
I added my picture early this morning, but I still don't see it. Are there pictures hidden behind the photo of Ron Paul in the middle?

By the way, thanks for creating this page. I think it is a great idea.

Yeah there are some hidden. But only until the next time someone uploads a photo. This is because the mosaic gets randomly re-generated each time, so everyone moves around.

You can still hover your mouse over the center image and click to see the photos.

If you still can't see your photo, email me with some identifying info and I'll take a look-see.

lynnf
07-26-2007, 03:50 PM
Yeah there are some hidden. But only until the next time someone uploads a photo. This is because the mosaic gets randomly re-generated each time, so everyone moves around.

You can still hover your mouse over the center image and click to see the photos.

If you still can't see your photo, email me with some identifying info and I'll take a look-see.

when you click on a picture on the edge on the right, the expansion is beyond
the edge of the screen, out of view, and the same with the information box

lynn

shrugged0106
07-26-2007, 04:36 PM
we are in (wife and i)

danda
07-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the report. I am seeing that this happens in Internet Explorer 6 only. Other browsers work correctly.

I have emailed the author of the tooltip library I am using. Hopefully he can provide a quick fix. Otherwise I'll dig into it more.

when you click on a picture on the edge on the right, the expansion is beyond
the edge of the screen, out of view, and the same with the information box

lynn

LibertyOrDie
07-26-2007, 11:56 PM
This is looking better as more people are adding!

Please, get this site pushing around. This is an effective way to show "Virtually" are strengths "Physically"!

FreedomLover
07-27-2007, 12:10 AM
very cool.

does something special happens when it hits 1000? how about when it hits 1 million (on january 20, 2009) ? :cool:

Roxi
08-20-2007, 11:58 PM
bump for newbies

FreedomLover
08-21-2007, 12:53 AM
this should be a sticky.