PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Campaign Contribution Questions

RCA
07-21-2007, 12:43 AM
I've never contributed to any campaign before. I plan on donating what I can to Ron Paul's campaign.

I probably will not reach the maximum allowable amount, however, I have some basic campaign contribution questions:

I know that there is a $2300 donation limit per individual and $4,600 per couple.

Why do they say $4,600 per couple? Isn't that the same thing as $2,300 per individual? Why are they being redundant?

How does a couple donate $4,600? With one credit card?

Does that card have to be in both people's names or just one?

If just one, how would they know it is a couple donating and not just an individual?

Is the $2,300 limit a cash only limit?

In other words, let's say I were to donate $2,300 in cash and then purchased some items from the campaign's online store? Would the items that I purchased be considered donations or are they not considered donations because I'm buying something.

Also, what about indirect campaign donations such as local meetup group member dues? Would these kinds of donations fall under the $2,300 maximum as well?

For that matter, what if I buy some campaign items through third party websites?

One other topic I was pondering was if there is a limit of $2,300 per individual, how do the front-runners raise 50 million?

I thought that corporations could not make campaign contributions, but then I've read where companies have made contributions.

If companies can contribute, are they also tied to the $2,300 maximum per individual/corporation?

Thanks to anyone for clearing these topics up for myself and anyone else that is also confused by this issue. Maybe the more people know, the less hesitant they will be making the contributions.

:D