PDA

View Full Version : Direct mail?

Sematary
07-20-2007, 11:54 PM
I was thinking, as I made my first call to Iowa today (well, technically yesterday I guess) that direct mailings of the literature would be far more effective as it is far less intrusive and it gives the potential future Ron Paul supporter something to read.
I figure if we chose a state, or two - say Iowa and New Hampshire since they are early in the primary season, and each person committed to sending say, 100 or even 200 mailings by a certain date (perhaps a couple months time) that it would be financially feasible for most people and would get the most bang for the buck. Ask any small businessman and he will tell you that the most effective advertising is direct mailings. What do you think and if you think it's a good idea, how do we contact the campaign to get it rolling?

Sematary
07-21-2007, 12:51 AM
Just saw the thread on this. Glad it's going to happen.

zMtLlC
07-21-2007, 01:01 AM
I like this idea and would be willing to send out letters to people. When I called 50 people the other day, many, to say the least, weren't too receptive to political campaigns calling them, so I'm sure it didn't make a good impression.

I have a friend in Iowa, and she said she gets one or two calls every day. These people are tired of people calling them trying to tell them how to vote. When we call, even though we're different, we suffer the blowback of the other campaigns' lazy and overly aggressive techniques.

Sematary
07-21-2007, 01:04 AM
I like this idea and would be willing to send out letters to people. When I called 50 people the other day, many, to say the least, weren't too receptive to political campaigns calling them, so I'm sure it didn't make a good impression.

I have a friend in Iowa, and she said she gets one or two calls every day. These people are tired of people calling them trying to tell them how to vote. When we call, even though we're different, we suffer the blowback of the other campaigns' lazy and overly aggressive techniques.

I know when I get phone calls from people I don't know - I hang up, or usually, don't even answer.

Slugg
07-21-2007, 01:09 AM

It's the nature of the beast. Just because they didn't warm up to you on the call doesn't mean you didn't 'plant a seed' As long as you're always polite and willing to end the call when they want, don't worry. We're talking about a place that will have 40,000 people at the straw poll, but there are a little over 2 million in the state....so most of the people you call have no intention of going to the straw poll. And by the time the primary's roll around they will have forgotten that you disturbed them. They will only remember, "A volunteer called me about that Ron Paul guy...hmm....what's he about?"
That's the point is....keep it up. And thanks for donating your time...every freedom loving person is in debt to you.

Sematary
07-21-2007, 01:10 AM
It's the nature of the beast. Just because they didn't warm up to you on the call doesn't mean you didn't 'plant a seed' As long as you're always polite and willing to end the call when they want, don't worry. We're talking about a place that will have 40,000 people at the straw poll, but there are a little over 2 million in the state....so most of the people you call have no intention of going to the straw poll. And by the time the primary's roll around they will have forgotten that you disturbed them. They will only remember, "A volunteer called me about that Ron Paul guy...hmm....what's he about?"
That's the point is....keep it up. And thanks for donating your time...every freedom loving person is in debt to you.

Still, and I agree with you, a direct mailing makes a much bigger (and more long lasting) impression.

Slugg
07-21-2007, 01:23 AM
Still, and I agree with you, a direct mailing makes a much bigger (and more long lasting) impression.

We need both to be effective...there was a political science guy running around here a while back and he was saying the when a voter gets 6 personal 'touches' from a campaign they will usually vote that way. Seeing a sign is one, phone call is one, letter is one, bumper sticker is one, another phone call, and door to door to top it off.

I don't know if that's scientifically grounded, but it sounds reasonable.