PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul ready for dollar collapse.

Jeff556
05-21-2007, 06:47 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/17/us/politics/17candidates.html?ex=1337054400&en=35981e3af82d4b68&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

Read the last paragraph. Also states that Giuliani told a divorce court six years ago that he only controls $7,000 in assets, but he reported a networth of 30 million. Duncan Hunter owes $75,000 (holy shit) in credit card debt and owes 30,000 on car loans.

It seems like Paul is definitley not the poorest person in the race.

mrapathy
05-21-2007, 06:54 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Depression
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_Street_Crash_of_1929

Market up Record highs followed by several sharp selloffs.
lots of factors that look similar.

that market slip back in what Feb-Mar was a bit scary.

Melchior
05-21-2007, 06:55 PM
I have heard criticism of Ron Paul for that, enemies of capitalism consider anyone who advocates free markets and is wealthy is only thinking of themselves. I've heard it said that Ron Paul advocates the gold standard because he owns a lot of gold. :rolleyes:

But it's the other way around really, he invests in precious metals because he advocates it, it's called practicing what you preach. I call it smart.

CurtisLow
05-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Wow! "Duncan Hunter owes $75,000 (holy shit) in credit card debt"

That reminds me of this!

Can you guess which organization this is?

Is it the NFL or is it the NBA?

36 have been accused of spousal abuse
7 have been arrested for fraud
19 have been accused of writing bad checks
117 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses
3 have done time for assault
71, repeat 71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit
14 have been arrested on drug-related charges
8 have been arrested for shoplifting
21 currently are defendants in lawsuits. and
84 have been arrested for drunk driving
in the last year
Can you guess which organization this is?
Give up yet? . . . Scroll down, citizen!

--------------------------------------------------
It's the 535 members of the United States Congress!

The same group of Idiots that crank out hundreds of new laws each year
designed to keep the rest of us in line.
:eek:

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail
05-21-2007, 06:57 PM
Representative Ron Paul of Texas, a libertarian-minded Republican who often warns that excessive government threatens the economy, has put his pessimism into his portfolio. If the dollar collapses, Mr. Paul will be ready: his favorite investments are real estate, silver and gold.

what a concept - investment in commodities! Shouldn't the American people want their money in the hands of someone who is economically prudent?!!

Hawaii Libertarian
05-21-2007, 07:00 PM
I have heard criticism of Ron Paul for that, enemies of capitalism consider anyone who advocates free markets and is wealthy is only thinking of themselves. I've heard it said that Ron Paul advocates the gold standard because he owns a lot of gold. :rolleyes:

But it's the other way around really, he invests in precious metals because he advocates it, it's called practicing what you preach. I call it smart.

The MSM consistently label precious metals as a poor investment long term, so Dr. Paul is merely using his portfolio as insurance against a collapse of the dollar and our monetary system. ;)

Now we would never deride anyone for having insurance on their homes, lives, or cars, would we?

Korey Kaczynski
05-21-2007, 07:04 PM

Precious metals are always valuable to humans; paper slips of money are not. It's really common sense.

mrapathy
05-21-2007, 07:04 PM
some bad problems with investing in gold due to laws still on the books.
not sure if that applies to silver. silver is good Euro is backed with it. though not crazy with Euro or Europe.
Europe parliament building in Straussburg disturbs me some. effigy to babylong. not normally religious but
alot going on lately pushing more towards christian bible but also reading other religious books.
it relates heavily to Iraq. Babil/Babylon was in in Iraq. also goes to world order kind of stuff and much more.

government can seize it. so if dollar tanks or they decide to replace it with something. Gold could really be tough to exchange if government cracks down on it.

Gee
05-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Market up Record highs followed by several sharp selloffs.
lots of factors that look similar.

that market slip back in what Feb-Mar was a bit scary.
I don't think the Fed is stupid enough to let another Great Depression happen. More likely we'll just get bad inflation. A favorite way for governments to pay off large debts is hyperinflation, but I don't think we are at that point, yet, and we might not ever be if we just put up with moderate inflation over a long period of time. I'm not saying it wouldn't suck, but it wouldn't be a monitary contraction like the Great Depression.

billv
05-21-2007, 10:23 PM
It's been argued that at some point, with the amount of debt we carry, it will be impossible to dump new currency into the market because of an unwillingness/incapacity to take on new debt. Bad inflation I don't think should occur during such a circumstance.

mrapathy
05-21-2007, 10:40 PM
you sure? the bankers and corporations would lose lots of money but they would still come out on top owning lots of stuff. Enron? have you seen Enrons recovery?

whats a good way for A Towering Monopoly to expand? you break things down. you lose some but those below you will be hurting so bad they will have no choice.

even today banks are still failing.

this country is in some bad debt where is the saturation point? China wants to Dump 1 Trillion
they have been threatened not to or bad things will happen to oil shipments. China suffers bad
energy crunches,shortages with brownouts. they need those disco's running for that 1 Billion.

we have had steady inflation both ways. more money printed and businesses raising prices due to other factors. look at the value of the dollar.

it may not be a great depression. it may just be a series of slides that hurts people and give opportunity to the big fish. conduct a restructuring of the currency and have some flash in the pan policy changes to sooth the crowd.