PDA

View Full Version : Ante Up!!!!::::: Iowa Radio Spots!! Now !!

Lord Xar
07-20-2007, 05:27 PM
OPERATION PROMETHEUS

This is it. I will take the lead on this.. but I NEED YOU TO ANTE UP. WHAT ARE YOU WILLING TO DONATE. THE AMOUNT OF MONEY WE RAISE WILL DICTATE WHICH SPOTS TO HIT !!!

IF YOU REPLY TO THIS THREAD, ONLY GIVE ME THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION.

1. Amount you are willing to Donate.

If you do not want to officially note this in the thread, PM me.

LISTEN. Push this in all places. Lets start anteing up.

IOWA RADIO PUSH: OPERATION PROMETHEUS

LibertyEagle
07-20-2007, 05:29 PM
Why don't we ask some people who live in Iowa what the hot issues to Iowans are and go with those? How about asking the Iowa Meetup Groups?

I am willing to donate $100.

foofighter20x
07-20-2007, 05:52 PM
I am willing to donate $100.

Ditto.

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 05:53 PM
$20

FSP-Rebel
07-20-2007, 05:54 PM
We need a paypal link ASAP so people who are just browsing can give it up.

LibertyEagle
07-20-2007, 05:55 PM
Xar, are you notifying the Iowa Meetup groups, if not others too?

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-20-2007, 05:58 PM
I'll go $100, maybe more when I hear the plans. Can they get up before the IA Straw Poll?

Lord Xar
07-20-2007, 06:06 PM
no, I have not contacted them. I don't think we should wait, and to be honest, I get frustrated with 'not knowing' what everyone is doing so it makes my hands tied unless I just initiate something do it. if they want to CONTACT this forum OR me with what I am doing so we can POOL our resources/money then I would be up for that since they probably know the lay of the land better than me.. but, to be honest - what are they waiting for? Don't get me wrong, I KNOW they are doing things... but if they give us a 'little heads up' then we know that we don't have to do it on our own, at least in the environment of radio/newspaper ads.

I DO NOT KNOW IF I CAN DO THIS BEFORE THE STRAW POLLS. Nobody was coming forward and instigating ANY formula for this. I waited because there are "iowa" meetup groups - maybe I will contact them. So, I don't know if I can do this in time, but I want to get the seed going - commitments of monies and after I make some calls I can get a better basis.

foofighter20x
07-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Still, it'd be best to at the very least let them know what you are doing and keep them in the loop. You need to contact them, even if you act independently. That way we avoid duplication of effort and not waste assets.

DoE is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves.

FSP-Rebel
07-20-2007, 06:19 PM
no, I have not contacted them. I don't think we should wait, and to be honest, I get frustrated with 'not knowing' what everyone is doing so it makes my hands tied unless I just initiate something do it. if they want to CONTACT this forum OR me with what I am doing so we can POOL our resources/money then I would be up for that since they probably know the lay of the land better than me.. but, to be honest - what are they waiting for? Don't get me wrong, I KNOW they are doing things... but if they give us a 'little heads up' then we know that we don't have to do it on our own, at least in the environment of radio/newspaper ads.

I DO NOT KNOW IF I CAN DO THIS BEFORE THE STRAW POLLS. Nobody was coming forward and instigating ANY formula for this. I waited because there are "iowa" meetup groups - maybe I will contact them. So, I don't know if I can do this in time, but I want to get the seed going - commitments of monies and after I make some calls I can get a better basis.
Where do we pool our $$$ without a paypal account?

LibertyEagle
07-20-2007, 06:24 PM
Xar... I'm not saying to ask their permission or anything. The only reasons I asked you if you had contacted them were, 1. find out the Iowa hot issues 2. Collect their money for these ads.

That's it.

foofighter20x
07-20-2007, 06:40 PM

My back pocket works pretty well.

I kid, I kid! :p :D

Lord Xar
07-20-2007, 06:44 PM

I contacted the main iowa meetup. Hopefully the gentleman will get back to me.

I have not collected monies yet, I just want commitments. I assume if you say you are gonna "pay", then you will.

Plus, I don't want to collect monies until I know this is on for sure... but I want to get people on board.

Once it starts picking up steem, I will give everyone the paypal address.

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Xar, glad you're stepping forward. IMO, the REASON to put the money out for this would be to influence the Straw Poll. So the first 20 seconds would be how great Ron Paul is "protect our borders, not Iraq's," then website, and "come join Ron Paul and vote in the Iowa Straw Poll in Ames on August 11.

What can be done to get these on a week before the straw poll?

LibertyEagle
07-20-2007, 07:14 PM
I would be interested in what the Iowans thought about this, but from watching the presentations at Failor's Forum, illegal immigration sure seemed to be a hot topic. Tancredo almost got a standing ovation. I'm really thinking we need to mention Paul's stance on this, since he hasn't made it much of an issue in his campaign.

USAFCapt
07-20-2007, 07:43 PM
I'm in, 200 bucks

foofighter20x
07-20-2007, 07:44 PM
I'm in, 200 bucks

Outstanding, sir!

LibertyEagle
07-22-2007, 02:53 AM
bump

Lord Xar
07-22-2007, 02:55 AM
I emailed a BUNCH of radio stations today (saturday), so hopefully I will get some traction on monday ---

Once I get some particulars - I will bump this in earnest..

btw, I explained my urgency and need to push this forward fast.

tron paul
07-22-2007, 05:10 AM
"protect our borders, not Iraq's," and "come join Ron Paul and vote in the Iowa Straw Poll in Ames on August 11.

This is a good slogan.

I'm in for $40.

MozoVote
07-22-2007, 06:35 AM
Xar, are you prepared, if necessary, to include your name, address, and phone number on the ads? (Oh yeah, THANK YOU, to the Federal government for these regulations - that require the ad payer to give up their privacy, rather than focus on the content of the message and whether it is legitimate).

The FEC website says the disclaimer that identifies the sponsor, isn't needed until 30 days before a primary. Clear Channel let my ad go without the disclaimer. Entercom wanted one, just to be safe anyway.

While my ads ran, I just left my phone off and changed the voice mail greeting to give directions to where Paul spoke. I did not get a bunch a nutjob messages, (one concern of mine) so being forced to include it in a quickly-spoken disclaimer may not be that big a deal in reality. I also had a PO box I could use for my address, to at least preserve a little privacy.

Dan Klaus
07-22-2007, 07:34 AM
$25 bucks committment from me...sorry its not more...when its time to ante up - please let me know by PM...good luck..

Harald
07-22-2007, 08:17 AM
$50

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Xar, are you prepared, if necessary, to include your name, address, and phone number on the ads? (Oh yeah, THANK YOU, to the Federal government for these regulations - that require the ad payer to give up their privacy, rather than focus on the content of the message and whether it is legitimate).

The FEC website says the disclaimer that identifies the sponsor, isn't needed until 30 days before a primary. Clear Channel let my ad go without the disclaimer. Entercom wanted one, just to be safe anyway.

While my ads ran, I just left my phone off and changed the voice mail greeting to give directions to where Paul spoke. I did not get a bunch a nutjob messages, (one concern of mine) so being forced to include it in a quickly-spoken disclaimer may not be that big a deal in reality. I also had a PO box I could use for my address, to at least preserve a little privacy.

If you have to do that, get someone in Iowa to volunteer their name.

wbbgjr
07-22-2007, 12:48 PM
$50 from me for now.

DeadheadForPaul
07-22-2007, 01:42 PM
$10

college student :(

TeeJay
07-22-2007, 10:04 PM
Bump

angelatc
07-22-2007, 10:34 PM
I won't donate unless I can preview the copy.

LibertyEagle
07-22-2007, 11:10 PM
Xar, you may already be planning on doing this, but MozoVote got some professionals at one of the radio stations to record the spot he did. It really sounded great.

Delaware
07-22-2007, 11:17 PM
I'm in for $20, lemme know. We need good airtime as well.

MozoVote
07-23-2007, 06:12 AM
LibertyEagle, it was more like the station management "got" me to agree to a re-recording. :p But it probably is worth making a first cut as I did, with one of our own voices. The people pledging, should have an idea of what they are paying for.

Entercom did not charge me extra for the re-recording, by the way. My gut feeling is that when you make a serious radio buy (close to $1000) the stations are more agreeable to just doing the spot for you and not charging for studio time.

LibertyEagle
07-23-2007, 06:33 AM
Yeah, that's what I was hoping, Mozo.

Dan Klaus
07-23-2007, 08:01 AM
bump for an update...

TeeJay
07-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Bump

Lord Xar
07-23-2007, 10:50 PM
I still have not heard back from any radio stations.

I did get in touch with a newspaper, and we played phone tag today... but I left message expressing my rush -- so I should get the partiuclars worked out tomorrow for PRINT/NEWSPAPER ADS.

As far as Radio -- No word yet.

Between the BIG STATIONS -- probably not gonna happen as they are probably very expensive.

Then there are the smaller stations / college radio.

IF YOU ARE FROM IOWA --- Do people / voters -- listen to the university radio? How about The sports radio shows?

When I hear something, I will let you know.

LibertyEagle
07-24-2007, 09:06 PM
If we're going to do this, hadn't we better get moving on this? Xar, how long has it been since you left them messages, or whatever you did? It's weird that they haven't gotten back with you, because that's how they make their money... through advertisement.

Cindy
07-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Have you looked into Christian radio stations? They are probably cheaper and better target the registered republican conservative voter in that state anyway. More bang for the buck.

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-24-2007, 09:21 PM
I say we put it all into WHO radio, Jan Mikkelson's station. I don't think ads in the papers will get seen. Am I wrong? Do you guys see newspaper ads? I hear radio ads, but I don't see newspaper ads.

LibertyEagle
07-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Well, there was an article in the Des Moines Register that most Iowans got their news from newspapers. So, I'm not sure.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070523/NEWS10/705230368/-1/iowapoll07&lead=1

While you're over there, take a look at this. But note that it's from May.
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=iowapoll07

LibertyEagle
07-24-2007, 09:41 PM
Bump for update from Xar.

stevedasbach
07-24-2007, 09:45 PM
If you are going to run ads promoting Ron Paul and fund them independent of the campaign, you CANNOT coordinate the effort in any manner with the campaign. Otherwise, it's not an independent expenditure.

If you spend more than a certain amount, you have to file with the FEC.

To avoid stepping on the campaign's message, perhaps the ad should simply ask "Who is Ron Paul?" and suggest that they Google it. Or, use the list of "nevers" from the website.

Please DON'T focus on a single issue YOU think the campaign should be stessing. Dr. Paul and his team need to be in control of his message.

Ian_Perry
07-24-2007, 10:04 PM
I'd mention immigration, abortion (the sanctity of life act?), never voting to raise taxes, local control of issues like education.

Protecting the borders of America, not Iraq, is something he has said and might be good to put into the ad.

But that's just me.

paulitics
07-24-2007, 10:12 PM
I'd mention immigration, abortion (the sanctity of life act?), never voting to raise taxes, local control of issues like education.

Protecting the borders of America, not Iraq, is something he has said and might be good to put into the ad.

But that's just me.

Yeah, I think his quote was something like we spend all our time protecting Iraq's borders instead of our own. Can't go wrong with that. Next I would mention taxes, and cutting government programs. I'm worried that we won't have enough time to get this out. Is there an update?

FSP-Rebel
07-24-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm still wondering how the $$$ are gonna be collected. Do we send checks to??? Or is there a paypal link for this. It would be a shame if someone put up their own money then didn't get the necessary pledges in the mail or whateve.

Lord Xar
07-24-2007, 11:15 PM
SEE THIS LINK FOR THE DONATIONS NOW:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=8882

LibertyEagle
07-25-2007, 12:21 AM
The link you provide is for the newspaper ads. I realize you will use the same paypal account to collect the money, but are we still planning on doing both newspaper ads and radio ads. If so, then should people designate in the notes when they're paypaling the money, which project they are supporting?

Kuldebar
07-25-2007, 12:24 AM
If you are going to run ads promoting Ron Paul and fund them independent of the campaign, you CANNOT coordinate the effort in any manner with the campaign. Otherwise, it's not an independent expenditure.

If you spend more than a certain amount, you have to file with the FEC.

To avoid stepping on the campaign's message, perhaps the ad should simply ask "Who is Ron Paul?" and suggest that they Google it. Or, use the list of "nevers" from the website.

Please DON'T focus on a single issue YOU think the campaign should be stessing. Dr. Paul and his team need to be in control of his message.

Quoted for truth and damn good advice. (especially if the poster is the stevedasbach I am thinking he is..)

LibertyEagle
07-25-2007, 12:32 AM
It would seem to me that we could publish his stances on the issues that he has published on his web site.
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/issues/

What do you think?

paulitics
07-25-2007, 12:35 AM
good enough for me. lets get the ball rolling.

nathanielyao
07-25-2007, 04:33 AM
bump

freelance
07-25-2007, 05:05 AM
bump

sleeper
07-25-2007, 07:09 AM
I will give 50.

heiwa
07-25-2007, 08:03 AM
I'm going to hand out flyers in Des Moines today at a Farmer's market. I'll ask the folks I meet what their major concerns are.

Jen

beermotor
07-25-2007, 08:20 AM
What's our current tally?

Lord Xar
07-25-2007, 10:46 AM
I will give 50.

GO HERE:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=8882

DeadheadForPaul
07-25-2007, 11:04 AM
I'm going to hand out flyers in Des Moines today at a Farmer's market. I'll ask the folks I meet what their major concerns are.

Jen

Nice work, let us know!

LibertyEagle
07-25-2007, 12:52 PM
bump

Lord Xar
07-25-2007, 12:59 PM
bump

when you bump this... mention the thread that actually references the donation..

Radio donation campagin now underway too....

LibertyEagle
07-25-2007, 01:00 PM
I emailed Joe Seehusen yesterday and asked if they were planning any radio or newspaper ads before the straw poll.

Today, I received an email back from Heather. This is what she said.

Joe Seehusen informed me that you were wondering whether the campaign was planning any advertisements in Iowa prior to the Straw Poll.

The short answer is maybe. We are considering our options for advertising but haven't made a final decision on the subject yet.

--
Heather Olson
Field Coordinator, Iowa
Ron Paul 2008 Presidential Campaign Committee

Lord Xar
07-25-2007, 01:06 PM
hahaha... well, considering Joe didn't get back to that Newspaper Writer so he, Ron Paul, can be listed as a candidate -- tells me, they ain't gonna do it.. not only that.. shouldn't they already made this decision.

LibertyEagle... can you contact Heather again and tell her we are considering running ads too (of course seperate and not assoicated with the campaign) -- and if this is advisable for us to do....

LibertyEagle
07-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Xar, it's my understanding that we cannot tell them what we are doing, or then we will bring the whole FEC reporting down on our heads. That was my understanding anyway of what ChicagoLawyer told us.

LibertyEagle
07-25-2007, 03:51 PM
If we stick to the verbage on issues that the campaign has officially endorsed, we should be just fine.

MsDoodahs
07-25-2007, 03:59 PM
I think the most 'safe from FEC regs' way to do it is to NOT quote from campaign material - reword it a little so it is not a direct quote from what the campaign has put out there already.

LibertyEagle
07-25-2007, 04:27 PM
Geez.... we need to have a how to guide to the FEC rules put out by the campaign. This is ridiculous.

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/get-involved/activities-outside-these-guidelines/

From my cursory glance, it sounds like you are right, MsDoodahs.

MsDoodahs
07-25-2007, 04:31 PM
That FEC horsemanure is the way it is as a DIS incentive to get involved.

Those ^%&*(^%s do that while they smile at you and tell you that they WANT you to be involved.

http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/indexp.shtml

eta I notice that the link has been updated since I last reviewed it...

LibertyEagle
07-25-2007, 04:37 PM
No shit. I should be able to spend my own damn money any way that I damn well please, without reporting it to any damn person.

Ok, I feel better now.

Syren123
07-25-2007, 04:39 PM
No shit. I should be able to spend my own damn money any way that I damn well please, without reporting it to any damn person.

Ok, I feel better now.

Let's all thank that front runner and straight talker, John McCain, for doing everything he could to hamstring grass roots activism.

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-25-2007, 04:55 PM
You could always ask the campaign, "if you were going to do a radio ad, what would you include?" Wink, wink.

Electrostatic
07-25-2007, 04:55 PM
Well, the good news is there appears to be a loophole big enough to drive a planet through....

"Certain Nonprofit Corporations May Make Independent Expenditures

In Federal Election Commission v. Massachusetts Citizens for Life, Inc. (MCFL), the Supreme Court outlined a limited exception to the general prohibition on corporate expenditures. The Court said that MCFL, a nonprofit corporation, could make independent expenditures because it had certain essential features. These features are included in the Commission’s regulatory definition of Qualified Nonprofit Corporations (QNCs). 11 CFR 114.10. A QNC is a corporation that has all of the following five characteristics:

* It is a nonprofit, social welfare organization described in 26 U.S.C. § 501(c)(4);
* It was formed for the express purpose of promoting political ideas;
* It does not engage in business activities;
* It has no shareholders or other persons affiliated so as to have a claim on its assets or earnings; and
* It was not established by a business corporation or a labor union and does not accept contributions from such entities. 11 CFR 114.10."

Electrostatic
07-25-2007, 04:56 PM
You could always ask the campaign, "if you were going to do a radio ad, what would you include?" Wink, wink.

Nein, das ist verboten.

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-25-2007, 04:57 PM
LibertyEagle... can you contact Heather again and tell her we are considering running ads too (of course seperate and not assoicated with the campaign) -- and if this is advisable for us to do....

LibertyEagle may just want to say that he heard somewhere that someone was going to do a radio ad, not who, what, or how.

LibertyEagle
07-25-2007, 05:02 PM
I'm not wanting to do that, because I think it may be crossing the line.

LibertyEagle
07-25-2007, 05:05 PM
Ok.... we need a lawyer to advise us. If anyone listened to the Ron Paul supporters conference call here, http://www.justin.tv/ronpaul/8492 they said they had a list of lawyers who would assist us, if needed, free of charge. I'm assuming they are RP supporters. However, during the call, they certainly seemed to try to steer people away from establishing a PAC.

We need some friggin' answers. Right now, we're just running in circles.

jnpg
07-25-2007, 05:06 PM
how is the collection going?

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-25-2007, 05:26 PM
We are going to need to create a PAC for this. Here's info: http://www.fec.gov/ans/answers_pac.shtml

Who wants to do it? Like I said, best if an Iowan would step forward. Lacking an Iowan, Xar, you want to do it? You're collecting the money. I suck at accounting/treasuer work, so I'm hesitant. But if no one else wants to do it, I will.

LibertyEagle
07-25-2007, 05:29 PM
They also have some information and links on the RHS of this page, under "subpages". The last choice directs you to some information on PACs. It's probably the very same thing you linked to directly, Scribbler. ;-)

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/get-involved/

Lord Xar
07-25-2007, 05:29 PM
Can we all refer to the OTHER post for this info???

two posts are running in parrallel...

LibertyEagle
07-25-2007, 05:30 PM
Sure...

Josh, will you lock this thread please?