PDA

View Full Version : Where are my like-minded mamas?

thompsonisland
01-08-2008, 06:14 PM
I am a mama of a toddler. I spend a bunch of time on parenting forums, which concentrate to varying degrees on approaches to parenting outside of, or FAR outside of, the mainstream in the US and west in general.

I see some support for Ron Paul, but why don't I see more? Ron Paul supports true homeschooling freedom, supports individual choice in health care (read: no mandatory vaccinations), and wants to let people act like grown ups and acknowledge that we don't have any inalienable right to tell other folks how to act or what to think?

I see a lot of guys around here, but where are my mamas? Granted, perhaps they are chasing toddlers around...

IamVoting4RonPaul
01-08-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm not a mama, but you can help me by passing my website around.

Lisa C.
www.women4ronpaul.com

Corydoras
01-09-2008, 03:09 AM
This is actually just a subset of the question of why women are not going for Ron Paul in even the same proportions that other Republicans get.
:confused:

Why don't women on your forums respond to the message?

flannerywannabe
01-09-2008, 09:16 AM
I know the HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Association) has interviewed Huckster, Brownback and Tancredo, but not Paul. What's that about? Does anyone here have connections to the HSLDA and know the best way to address this with them?

autobot
01-09-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm here. Two sons. 5 and 2. Five year old goes to a small lutheran private school. God help us if we can't afford private school next year! I am just not the homeschooling type. I tried it with a briefly child I had custody of and it is soooo not for me. Public schools freak me out. I think perhaps that we need to hit the church groups, and women leaders in the church. Bible studies?? This forum gets a little rough on women. Glad to see there are other moms out there.

thompsonisland
01-10-2008, 05:23 PM
I will check out your site, LisaC.

Yes, Corydoras, that is somewhat what I am getting at. Two parts, really, since the specifics of my parenting groups seem so compatible with the message and yet it doesn't stick, and also what you said.

There are women on the forums who support Ron Paul. However, I have seen people write things like "I know this will make me unpopular around here, but I am voting for Ron Paul," and the like. And whenever anyone posts anything in support of RP, at least one, and sometimes many, haters have to show up and dis it. Now, no problem with a little debate, but it is very different from the type of political discourse I see regarding the other candidates. It is much more hostile, and often without an argument. The threads heat up and get nasty really fast, so I usually bail early. If people don't want to hear the message, no point in fighting with them, you know?

I am musing on the problem.

fluoridatedbrainsoup
01-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Perhaps they are frightened by the prospect of losing Roe V. Wade. Many were taught to revere that law in public schools. I was one. But RP woke me up.

alicegardener
01-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Hi I'm a mom, an old mom, but I still worry about my kids. That's forever.

I agree this forum is pretty rough on women sometimes. I wouldn't dare tell my daughter about this forum.

Abortion was a question I really had to wrestle with but it can be presented in such a way that even feminists might give Ron Paul a chance.

Another potential stumbling block was his stance against a health care program and social security. As I kept listening, though, I heard enough to believe RP when he said he would not abandon people who need those.

Being against the Iraq war is a natural for women, I think, but there are still women who will believe the hype about terrorists coming here to a shopping center near you. I was so angry already about the outrageous shenagans of the CIA all these years that I understood blowback and was so happy someone finally is standing up against that. I understand that the Arab world is likely to be so wrapped up with their own tribal and religious hatred of fellow Muslims that they will be so busy killing each other they will have much less interest in us.

I didn't expect to become so upset by the money situation but I did and I think other women will too.

Closing the borders to an enormous flood of Mexicans seems crucial to me if equal rights for women is to survive in our culture because of the machismo factor. If the flow were slowed we would have a better chance for the influence to go the way.

The environment, workers welfare, etc. remain for me areas of unanswered concerns but one president will not be able to change all that without the consent of Congress. If RP could just get the troops home, get the border sealed to illegals, and abolish the unconstitutional executive orders, that would be enough.

All these are just issues. What I didn't anticipate was my feelings of loyalty to Ron Paul as a person. I have heard men say they would take a bullet for him. I can relate.

thompsonisland
01-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Should we discuss Roe v. Wade here in the context of women's issues?

How is this forum hard on women?