PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul at 0% on latest South Carolina Poll

R_Harris
07-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Latest AP poll of registered repub votes in SC shows Ron at basically 0%. I saw the headline on Townhall.com.

Maybe the reason for the concern about the Greenville / Spartanburg events is that he really does have little or no support in SC?

JS4Pat
07-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Latest AP poll of registered repub votes in SC shows Ron at basically 0%. I saw the headline on Townhall.com.

Maybe the reason for the concern about the Greenville / Spartanburg events is that he really does have little or no support in SC?

What is wrong with this state?:eek:

FreedomLover
07-20-2007, 03:24 PM
What is wrong with this state?:eek:

That'll change with the upcoming rally.

Name recognition is half the battle, afterall. South Carolina should be looking at Ron Paul carefully, he's a great candidate that reflects the independent spirit of SC. :cool:

R_Harris
07-20-2007, 03:27 PM
But this is also the state where Giuliani got his thunderous applause after trying to slap down Ron in the May debate.

The repubs in this state appear to be hard core, national defense, let's kick their tail types. If so, RP won't have much success here.

DeadheadForPaul
07-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Name recognition is most of the battle. Those who are into politics are the most hardcore GOP/neocons and they hate Paul. The average America, especially in South Carolina, would like Paul over Romney and Giuliani...now Fred might pose a challenge

Razmear
07-20-2007, 03:33 PM
That will change with the next poll, and the last AP poll I saw didn't even mention Ron Paul.

eb

AMack
07-20-2007, 03:35 PM
SC is a McCain state. He's as pro-war as they get, so that doesn't surprise me all that much. I'd love to reach out to SC, but it will be one of the toughest states to gain a foothold in.

RPR-omaha
07-20-2007, 03:36 PM
But this is also the state where Giuliani got his thunderous applause after trying to slap down Ron in the May debate.

The repubs in this state appear to be hard core, national defense, let's kick their tail types. If so, RP won't have much success here.

I wouldn't be suprised if that crowd was made a neocon only crowd by Fox News. Ron Paul is doing poorly in SC b/c he is barely goes there compared to the other canidates. I just don't understand why he hasn't been going to the early states more. His message could easily sell in Iowa and NH. It could probably sell in SC. Most Americans, after all, are against the war and by a wide margin. A part of me thinks he is trying for a third party run. The other part of me thinks that Ron thinks it is to earlier to be going to these states and he would be wasting his money.

Mesogen
07-20-2007, 03:39 PM
Is this one of those polls where they polled 400 people that may or may not vote?

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Frankly? They're going to have to spend some money on advertising. As much as we're doing, we're not having an effect on the polls. Radio ads are much cheaper than tv, but they have to do SOMEthing. Starting in Iowa. Now.

Bradley in DC
07-20-2007, 03:48 PM
Still trying to hunt down the details, but this is what I've got so far:

On the GOP side, in a race featuring Newt Gingrich, Giuliani leads among Republican primary voters with 28%, followed by McCain (20%), Fred Thompson (17%), Gingrich (6%), and Romney (4%)

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2007/07/20/cnn-political-ticker-am-30/

Bradley in DC
07-20-2007, 03:58 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2007/images/07/20/relsc1a.pdf

SOUTH CAROLINA -2- July 16-18, 2007

IF GINGRICH WERE IN THE RACE

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani 28%
Arizona Senator John McCain 20%
Former Tennessee Senator Fred Thompson 17%
Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich 6%
Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney 4%
Former Wisconsin Governor Tommy Thompson 4%
Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee 3%
California Congressman Duncan Hunter 2%
Texas Congressman Ron Paul 2%
Colorado Congressman Tom Tancredo 2%
Kansas Senator Sam Brownback 1%
No opinion 11%

IF GINGRICH WERE NOT IN THE RACE

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani 30%
Arizona Senator John McCain 21%
Former Tennessee Senator Fred Thompson 18%
Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney 6%
Former Wisconsin Governor Tommy Thompson 4%
Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee 3%
California Congressman Duncan Hunter 2%
Texas Congressman Ron Paul 2%
Colorado Congressman Tom Tancredo 2%
Kansas Senator Sam Brownback 1%
No opinion 11%

6. (REPUBLICAN PRIMARY VOTERS ONLY:) Would you say you will definitely support that candidate in 2008, or is it possible you would change your mind?

July 16-18 2007

Definitely support 32%
May change mind 57%
No opinion 11%

Mesogen
07-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Don't forget that these polls are polling already registered republicans and republicans that voted in previous elections. I would wager that the majority of Ron Paul supporters will be newly registered Republicans in states that require it, or people who have never voted for Republicans in the past.

RPatTheBeach
07-20-2007, 05:36 PM
I believe this statistic completely. There is pretty much _no_ "revolution" going on in this state, as far as I can tell. Maybe things are different on the west side of the state. I went to my local meetup group last week, and all it was was complaining about how the campaign is ignoring us. I haven't seen a single piece of Ron Paul material anywhere in public, in the papers, or on the news (aside from the 'major' programs we've all seen the youtube's of). It is quite sad and disappointing.

There is a straw poll in Georgetown next weekend, and absolutely zero has been done to promote this, or get Ron's name out prior to it... other than an email being sent to the meetup group that it is occurring.

If only SC could get a quarter of the attention that Iowa is. Winning SC will be a HUGE boost to winning the rest of the south. I can think of three separate dates that Rudy has visited just my town in the past two months alone. I don't think RP has even been within 150 miles of this area.

FSP-Rebel
07-20-2007, 05:43 PM
My problem with the south is that their so-called Sons of the Confederacy groups have sold out to the Bush Admin over the war because they don't like brown people. They have this hillbilly macho shit goin on and it's pathetic. I used to look at myself as a northerner/confederate but I have been alienated by the very people whose ancestors fought for independence against the north. Until I see/hear otherwise, I will never fly another St. Andrew's Cross at my Mich home again. For the record-I'm a clean-cut Rebel, not a hick.

Nash
07-20-2007, 05:50 PM
I find this odd since their governor, Mark Sanford, is stridently libertarian republican in his policy positions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Sanford

He's the kind of governor that would most definitely endorse Paul if he started polling well enough in the south (to do so now would of course be political suicide since most people don't know enough about Paul or his actual views).

FSP-Rebel
07-20-2007, 05:55 PM
I find this odd since their governor, Mark Sanford, is stridently libertarian republican in his policy positions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Sanford

He's the kind of governor that would most definitely endorse Paul if he started polling well enough in the south (to do so now would of course be political suicide since most people don't know enough about Paul or his actual views).
Yeah, no shit...

LibertyEagle
07-20-2007, 06:07 PM
I believe this statistic completely. There is pretty much _no_ "revolution" going on in this state, as far as I can tell. Maybe things are different on the west side of the state. I went to my local meetup group last week, and all it was was complaining about how the campaign is ignoring us. I haven't seen a single piece of Ron Paul material anywhere in public, in the papers, or on the news (aside from the 'major' programs we've all seen the youtube's of). It is quite sad and disappointing.

If they're wanting campaign material, has the Meetup leader thought of calling the campaign and asking for it? Before this was available, and actually still now, a lot of Meetup groups have been collecting money and getting their own printed. This is a grassroots campaign, being run on a shoestring. Surely your Meetup Group knows that, right? Where I live, a lot of the signs you see are nice homemade ones.

The official stuff is on the RP HQ web site. There is a ton of material put together by users here on this site:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/get-involved/

What is stopping them? :confused: Do they have the wrong Meetup leader? If so, possibly someone needs to step up.

Nash
07-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Here is Tucker and Sanford talking about Ron Paul and conservative economic policies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKOCsBpcZfw

They don't really start talking about Paul until the 2:50 mark.

Sanford is basically talking Paulitics here and he's been the South Carolina governor for 4 years now. There is no legitimate reason why Paul can't do well in this state if their governor is speaking like that.

RPatTheBeach
07-20-2007, 06:24 PM
If they're wanting campaign material, has the Meetup leader thought of calling the campaign and asking for it? Before this was available, and actually still now, a lot of Meetup groups have been collecting money and getting their own printed. This is a grassroots campaign, being run on a shoestring. Surely your Meetup Group knows that, right? Where I live, a lot of the signs you see are nice homemade ones.

The official stuff is on the RP HQ web site. There is a ton of material put together by users here on this site:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/get-involved/

What is stopping them? :confused: Do they have the wrong Meetup leader? If so, possibly someone needs to step up.

No, I don't think that is the problem. I think they are too focused on the big picture and not the ground-up approach that has been working across the country. Most of the meetup talk I attended was about the need to establish a state campaign manager, etc etc rather than what we can do locally to spread the word.

BLS
07-20-2007, 06:57 PM
You can't win em all.

My ex GF was from SC...she was nuts too.

It may take TOO much to win this state...oh well. Good thing there's 49 others.
I'm not saying just to concede, but c'mon..nobody even knows his name yet. give it some time. The sky ain't falling.

rg123
07-20-2007, 07:37 PM
All of these polls IMO mean nothing the bottom line is he is not in half of them
They are rarely over 500 people another large % is other which is clearly him zogby, rausmuessen,etc How many people here out of the 2,000 members of this forum been actually called by these MSM type polls I bet it is under 10 people. This is the power of the msm to say that the polls are one way when in reality the polls are fixed. Who is doing the oversight on the polls. NO ONE! I personally do not believe one single one of them. Just because a TV station says that they are the top tier does not mean they are. They are getting their money from corporations who in turn buy the sponsering in revenue ads on the msm I counted the other night how many times chris matthews said
Hillary Clinton in one episode and it was over 40 times he said her name but she
is never interviewed and I have yet to meet a human being in real life that is going to vote Hillary she has publicly tried to fix debates and nothing is done so its all fixed. Do you think you can find a fire fighter that supports Rudy G. We must concentrate on spreading the freedom message, correct when competition copys
Ron's platform and petition any state with electronic voting and never let the msm
say anything that is false its all about money and power folks and not a one of them other than Ron give's a damn about any of us all the war stuff is theatre between the dem and neo as showen last week and the week before when only 2 in the house voted to not extend into Iran. We must be relentless freedom will not come freely

RPatTheBeach
07-20-2007, 07:41 PM
Do you think you can find a fire fighter that supports Rudy G.

According to today's news, quite a few do. Two standing ovations at a firefighters convention:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/breaking_news/story/134212.html

Syren123
07-20-2007, 07:43 PM
Good grief! We're talking about a state that actually ELECTED Lindsey Graham.

Thom1776
07-20-2007, 08:30 PM
“…FOXnews, Republican candidates, South Carolina audience, a perfect storm of stupidity…”---Bill Maher

AZ Libertarian
07-20-2007, 08:58 PM

What kind of doubt-seed planting operation is this crap? We don't want negativity. We don't want waffles. I am in contact with our point man out there and he tells me we are doing great in SC, and they plastered RON PAUL REVOLUTION all over the place out there.

And the AP can suck my soiled unmentionables.....

WE'RE GOIN' ALL THE WAY, BABY!

JS4Pat
07-20-2007, 09:10 PM
I can think of three separate dates that Rudy has visited just my town in the past two months alone. I don't think RP has even been within 150 miles of this area.
You don't need RP to be there!

If Rudy was in your town on three separate dates in the past two months, then why aren't you guys organizing Ron Paul supporters to show up. Ask him tough foreign policy questions centered around the "reading list" RP gave him. SlimJim the cars at the events, pass out RP business cards with your Meetup address and tell everyone that there is a great conservative alternative who has an exciting grassroots movement sweeping the country.

Sell him!

I'll be there tomorrow with 12 other Floridians to help!

Syren123
07-20-2007, 09:15 PM
“…FOXnews, Republican candidates, South Carolina audience, a perfect storm of stupidity…”---Bill Maher

That was absolutely hilarious and I still laugh every time I watch that clip.

Mizar5
07-21-2007, 06:18 AM
After receiving a couple of emails alerting me to the concern here I thought I'd chime in and share my view on the situation...

I became interested after the debate on 5/16, joined the Myrtle Beach Meetup and went to a couple of meetings. There was not much activity here but groups had been popping up, in fact I organized the Columbia group which is growing, was turned over and is now being run very well by Justin Young.

Our Myrtle Beach organizer dropped out of sight in the latter part of June, I was made asst organizer and just this week became the organizer of the MB group. There is an apparent degree of apathy right now here in MB and yes, we have had more focus on trying to get the state organized. I've been 2 two meetings this month (Greenville and Columbia) under the pretense of getting a state organizer/chairman/campaign manager and organization in place, and both were conducted by national people, but we ended up just being stalled and it tuned out the meetings went in other directions. We have been working on trying to get a guy in since early June. I have decided to simply focus on our county because of apparent lack of cooperation from above to organize SC.

There has also been a lot of focus on these events today in Greenville/Spartanburg...

Regarding the local meetups, you'll find that news is posted as I get it, such as the straw poll in Georgetown (Are you going to be there RPatTheBeach? I'm the only one who has RSVP'd as of last night...) We have a speaker from Myrtle Beach lined up, people from Upstate are coming and I have plenty of notices to distribute at today's rally in Greenville. I was going to announce more on this Monday when we return and work up a strategy at Thursday's Meetup, so you be there, OK RPatTheBeach, and bring a dozen friends. Here in Myrtle Beach it's like starting over and I appreciate all of the concern, but you'll have to be patient. I think you'll see good things coming from the Myrtle Beach area.

As for the rest of the state, things are happening and there are some great folks on board; Amanda Moore in Charleston, Justin Young in Columbia, Teresa Warden, Chris Lawton, Hal Grogan, Steve the Sign Guy out here in the Greenville area, Jose Correa in Chapin, Chris Panos, Jack Connell, myself and others in the Low Country.

As far as the cracks about SC, I'm a recent transplant from NY and have lived all over the east coast from Miami to NYC in the past 20 years (I'm 51) and I will tell you that South Carolina tops it all, hands down. So, be patient, You'll see some good things coming out of SC in the coming weeks and months.

Regarding the offers for support? Hell yes, come on down! Get to the Georgetown Straw Poll next Saturday! (You'll need a SC drivers license to vote, of course, but otherwise your support will be totally acceptable! You'll never need your Real ID card, though, as we crackers were one of the few states which told the feds NO!)

Thanks,
Tom Cornwell
rpsc08.com