PDA

View Full Version : Ron's IQ?

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-08-2008, 04:30 PM
After watching him just decimate anyone who tries to debate him, I wonder if Ron might not have the highest IQ of any major candidate to run in... decades?

Dr Paul seems extremely intelligent. He takes the chairman of the Fed to school on a regular basis, while most of these politicians can't even understand these issues.

I put Ron's IQ around 160.

rrroae
01-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Get real.

229 is more like it

m72mc
01-08-2008, 04:33 PM
180+

madRazor
01-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Ron Paul is more smarter than I is, and mine IQ is up to 164 nowadays. I been studying hard and still getting outsmarts by Ron Paul.

rodmannn
01-08-2008, 04:35 PM
This is like that old SNL skit. Ditka vs God? God, but it will be close. In this case Ron Paul vs Albert Einstein? Ron Paul in landslide.

Bold As Love
01-08-2008, 04:36 PM
All I got to say is I'd take Ron Paul over Chuck Norris anyday.;):)

MsDoodahs
01-08-2008, 04:38 PM
I'm certain he's genius level.

colecrowe
My father runs the center that does the IQ testing for every Congressman, you can look it up, he works at Metropolitan Washington Mensa, and he said Ron Paul's IQ is 90.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
I think anything over 150 is considered genius, no?

Or is it 180?

yongrel
01-08-2008, 04:39 PM
I am not a smart man Jenny, but I know what Liberty is.

colecrowe
01-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Just so you know, genius is so unlikely it's silly to imagine Ron Paul is one--but he is definitely brilliant. But also know, people with 115-130 can be incredibly, incredibly "smart" and "thoughtful" and "insightful" or "booksmart" or "streetsmart" or "quick", etc.--but they could also be complete dolts, maybe only smart in one thing. And then people with 100 IQs can work at it and become very "smart" and "thoughtful" and "insightful" or "booksmart" or "streetsmart" or "quick", etc.

Who said, It doesn't matter HOW intelligent one is, but instead HOW one IS intelligent.

The closest way of determining one's intelligence, devised and perfected in over a century of scientific studies[2][3] is via an I.Q. test. Two among the most influential psychologists studying intelligence, Lewis M. Terman and Leta Hollingworth, suggested two different numbers when considering the cut-off for genius in psychometric terms. Dr. Terman considered it to be an IQ of 140, while Dr. Hollingworth put it at an IQ of 180.[4][5] Moreover, both these numbers are ratio IQs, which in deviation values used presently put the genius IQ cut-off at 136 (98.77th percentile) and 162 (99.994th percentile) respectively.[6] There are also several examples of people with IQ levels in the genius range who have a disability or very low level in one of the subcategories. In addition to the fundamental criticism that intelligence measured in this way is an example of reification and ranking fallacies,[7] the IQ test has also been criticized as having a "cultural bias" in its interpretation despite claims that these tests are designed to eliminate race/gender for example by predicting numerical sequences, etc. Accordingly, the definition of genius embraces those who do not necessarily have a IQ test score of this stature, or who have not even taken such a test. A vast intelligence is needed, but the mental state of possessing genius is based primarily upon an incredible understanding of complex issues and problems, and a profound creativity and imagination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genius

rrroae
Sound like RP's version of Chuck Norris.

Ron Paul once roundhouse kicked a Calculus problem back to Algebra(not sure if it makes sense).

LudwigVan Kubrick
My father runs the center that does the IQ testing for every Congressman, you can look it up, he works at Metropolitan Washington Mensa, and he said Ron Paul's IQ is 90.

We said IQ, not approval rating. ;)

fcnz
01-08-2008, 04:42 PM
lol guys .... 150, 180, 229? you're crazy haha. MENSA, which is the top 2% worldwide in terms of IQ set their requirement at 130+

If you hit over 130, you are smarter than 98% of the planet. I think RP is in the 125-135 range.

amy31416
This is like that old SNL skit. Ditka vs God? God, but it will be close. In this case Ron Paul vs Albert Einstein? Ron Paul in landslide.

Come on. Don't be silly. They're equal. And both use their brains for good, to change the world for the better.

werdd
i have a 136 iq and 1240 SAT score, but i really think IQ test's are a poor measurement of collective intelligence. Intelligence is mostly oppinion based, and no doubt those who designed the IQ test's used their oppinions to designate what is smart, and what will get you a higher IQ.

But i seriously doubt RP is just "average" at 90. If he truly is then that just proves my point that these tests really arent a good measurement.

yongrel
01-08-2008, 04:43 PM
lol guys .... 150, 180, 229? you're crazy haha. MENSA, which is the top 2% worldwide in terms of IQ set their requirement at 130+

If you hit over 130, you are smarter than 98% of the planet. I think RP is in the 125-135 range.

If you're in MENSA, you're also more full of yourself than 98% of the planet.

http://www.compleatsteve.com/essays/mensa.htm

Janet0116
01-08-2008, 04:44 PM
What, over 130 and you're smarter than 98% of people. Damn, the world suddenly makes sense to me. My IQ is 137 ;)

schweicks88
01-08-2008, 04:45 PM
iq tests cant encompass the intelligence of Pauls thoughts

Isupportliberty
01-08-2008, 04:45 PM
over 9000!

partypoker
01-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Mensa is just collectivisms like any other idiotic ideology, except the neochimps think they're intelligent when they're really just neochimps. RP's IQ is greater than 90, that's pretty evident. I would say 130ish which is pretty reasonable for an old man, and he obviously is more intelligent than 99% of his colleagues.

LibertiORDeth
We said IQ, not approval rating. ;)

:p

Jeremy
I don't think IQ really matters for much btw.

Didn't some well known people (Edison, Franklin? I forget) have a not-too-high IQ (closer to average)

I think we can call this stiff common sense =)

LibertiORDeth
01-08-2008, 04:47 PM

O well, he rocks anyways :p

Santana28
01-08-2008, 04:48 PM
ahh..but is he an INTJ? ;)

LibertyRevolution
01-08-2008, 04:49 PM
I would imagine ron pauls IQ is in the 140 range. I base this on the fact that my IQ is 138 and some of Rons ideas make me go wow, I never would have put that together myself.

AggieforPaul
01-08-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm not sure I trust IQ tests:

Isaac Asimov:

What is intelligence, anyway? When I was in the army, I received the kind of aptitude test that all soldiers took and, against a normal of 100, scored 160. No one at the base had ever seen a figure like that, and for two hours they made a big fuss over me. (It didn't mean anything. The next day I was still a buck private with KP - kitchen police - as my highest duty.)

All my life I've been registering scores like that, so that I have the complacent feeling that I'm highly intelligent, and I expect other people to think so too. Actually, though, don't such scores simply mean that I am very good at answering the type of academic questions that are considered worthy of answers by people who make up the intelligence tests - people with intellectual bents similar to mine?

For instance, I had an auto-repair man once, who, on these intelligence tests, could not possibly have scored more than 80, by my estimate. I always took it for granted that I was far more intelligent than he was. Yet, when anything went wrong with my car I hastened to him with it, watched him anxiously as he explored its vitals, and listened to his pronouncements as though they were divine oracles - and he always fixed my car.

Well, then, suppose my auto-repair man devised questions for an intelligence test. Or suppose a carpenter did, or a farmer, or, indeed, almost anyone but an academician. By every one of those tests, I'd prove myself a moron, and I'd be a moron, too. In a world where I could not use my academic training and my verbal talents but had to do something intricate or hard, working with my hands, I would do poorly. My intelligence, then, is not absolute but is a function of the society I live in and of the fact that a small subsection of that society has managed to foist itself on the rest as an arbiter of such matters.

Consider my auto-repair man, again. He had a habit of telling me jokes whenever he saw me. One time he raised his head from under the automobile hood to say: "Doc, a deaf-and-mute guy went into a hardware store to ask for some nails. He put two fingers together on the counter and made hammering motions with the other hand. The clerk brought him a hammer. He shook his head and pointed to the two fingers he was hammering. The clerk brought him nails. He picked out the sizes he wanted, and left. Well, doc, the next guy who came in was a blind man. He wanted scissors. How do you suppose he asked for them?"

Indulgently, I lifted by right hand and made scissoring motions with my first two fingers. Whereupon my auto-repair man laughed raucously and said, "Why, you dumb jerk, He used his voice and asked for them." Then he said smugly, "I've been trying that on all my customers today." "Did you catch many?" I asked. "Quite a few," he said, "but I knew for sure I'd catch you." "Why is that?" I asked. "Because you're so goddamned educated, doc, I knew you couldn't be very smart."

And I have an uneasy feeling he had something there.

LibertyRevolution
01-08-2008, 04:50 PM
were is the poll for the IQ of Ron Paul Supporters?

Oneironaut07
01-08-2008, 04:51 PM
I would say Ron's IQ would probably fall between 145-160 or 3 to 4 SD from the norm my best guess is like 148-152
That would put him above 99.9% of the general population

ceakins
01-08-2008, 04:52 PM
If you're in MENSA, you're also more full of yourself than 98% of the planet.

http://www.compleatsteve.com/essays/mensa.htm

Oh god isn't that the truth. I dated one chick that was in mensa, and she was actually pretty dumb. She kept mentioning being in mensa all the time, and about how she was so much smarter than any other person. She was a travel agent, while I worked at Microsoft. I was always poking holes in her logic. There's book smarts, then there's street smarts, thinking outside the box.

colecrowe
01-08-2008, 04:53 PM
I would imagine ron pauls IQ is in the 140 range. I base this on the fact that my IQ is 138 and some of Rons ideas make me go wow, I never would have put that together myself.

Okay, where did you take your test? I am NOT calling you stupid. I am just saying that a lot of people I have known have said something like that (I remember another guy said exactly 138 actually) and that was an online test--I'll just say I laughed for weeks about that guy saying that. Those things are so stupid. I got like 134 or something and that is not even close--so ridiculously off. I got 118 when I was 11 or 12 and that was administered by a court appointed professional. I bet I'm less now days because I don't read as much.

Hey if you are though, I envy you (in some ways but not others).

I mean the difference between even 120 and 130 is out of this world--it is not a linear scale, though it can't really be described as exponential (I don't know how to describe it--look it up)

MsDoodahs

Or is it 180?

150, I think.

cheese
all you need is a good education - and he's got it

slamhead
01-08-2008, 04:54 PM
We should have them pull his military records....it will have the information...All I know is people around 130 make for dangerous men.

rp08orbust
01-08-2008, 04:55 PM

I would guess ISTJ. I don't think very many INTJs would have the patience to spend 30 years plugging away at resisting the slide toward fascism without any signs of progress.

homah
01-08-2008, 04:55 PM
I'd almost hate to assign an IQ to him, because it wouldn't encompass what he is all about. I've met plenty of people with an IQ of over 130 and they are no Ron Paul.

homah
01-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Okay, where did you take your test? I am NOT calling you stupid. I am just saying that a lot of people I have known have said something like that (I remember another guy said exactly 138 actually) and that was an online test--I'll just say I laughed for weeks about that guy saying that. Those things are so stupid. I got like 134 or something and that is not even close--so ridiculously off. I got 118 when I was 11 or 12 and that was administered by a court appointed professional. I bet I'm less now days because I don't read as much.

Hey if you are though, I envy you (in some ways but not others).

I mean the difference between even 120 and 130 is out of this world--it is not a linear scale, though it can't really be described as exponential (I don't know how to describe it--look it up)

Don't know if they still do it this way, but it used to be that 100 was the mean and the standard deviation was 10. So, if you have a 120 IQ you are 2 SD's above the mean, meaning you have a higher IQ than 97.7% of people. An IQ of 130 would put you at +3 SD's and above 99.8%.

Allen72289
01-08-2008, 05:02 PM
i have a 136 iq and 1240 SAT score, but i really think IQ test's are a poor measurement of collective intelligence. Intelligence is mostly oppinion based, and no doubt those who designed the IQ test's used their oppinions to designate what is smart, and what will get you a higher IQ.

But i seriously doubt RP is just "average" at 90. If he truly is then that just proves my point that these tests really arent a good measurement.

There is a magazine that suggests the iq of every president.

They say George Bush's iq is 91.

I would say 130+ for Ron Paul.

145 is considered genius.

MsDoodahs
01-08-2008, 05:08 PM

lol...

colecrowe
01-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Don't know if they still do it this way, but it used to be that 100 was the mean and the standard deviation was 10. So, if you have a 120 IQ you are 2 SD's above the mean, meaning you have a higher IQ than 97.7% of people. An IQ of 130 would put you at +3 SD's and above 99.8%.

I know--but read up on it and you will see that that is HUGE. My aunt-in-law is genius--believe me, that 2.1 percentile difference is freaky.

John P Slevin
01-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Even the stupid among us needs to know what to say in the event of defeat. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=82037)

ChooseLiberty
01-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Asimov is one of my favorites. RIP.

BTW - anyone who thinks you can get though Med School with an average IQ is smoking something.

Isaac Asimov:

What is intelligence, anyway? When I was in the army, I received the kind of aptitude test that all soldiers took and, against a normal of 100, scored 160. No one at the base had ever seen a figure like that, and for two hours they made a big fuss over me. (It didn't mean anything. The next day I was still a buck private with KP - kitchen police - as my highest duty.)

All my life I've been registering scores like that, so that I have the complacent feeling that I'm highly intelligent, and I expect other people to think so too. Actually, though, don't such scores simply mean that I am very good at answering the type of academic questions that are considered worthy of answers by people who make up the intelligence tests - people with intellectual bents similar to mine?

For instance, I had an auto-repair man once, who, on these intelligence tests, could not possibly have scored more than 80, by my estimate. I always took it for granted that I was far more intelligent than he was. Yet, when anything went wrong with my car I hastened to him with it, watched him anxiously as he explored its vitals, and listened to his pronouncements as though they were divine oracles - and he always fixed my car.

Well, then, suppose my auto-repair man devised questions for an intelligence test. Or suppose a carpenter did, or a farmer, or, indeed, almost anyone but an academician. By every one of those tests, I'd prove myself a moron, and I'd be a moron, too. In a world where I could not use my academic training and my verbal talents but had to do something intricate or hard, working with my hands, I would do poorly. My intelligence, then, is not absolute but is a function of the society I live in and of the fact that a small subsection of that society has managed to foist itself on the rest as an arbiter of such matters.

Consider my auto-repair man, again. He had a habit of telling me jokes whenever he saw me. One time he raised his head from under the automobile hood to say: "Doc, a deaf-and-mute guy went into a hardware store to ask for some nails. He put two fingers together on the counter and made hammering motions with the other hand. The clerk brought him a hammer. He shook his head and pointed to the two fingers he was hammering. The clerk brought him nails. He picked out the sizes he wanted, and left. Well, doc, the next guy who came in was a blind man. He wanted scissors. How do you suppose he asked for them?"

Indulgently, I lifted by right hand and made scissoring motions with my first two fingers. Whereupon my auto-repair man laughed raucously and said, "Why, you dumb jerk, He used his voice and asked for them." Then he said smugly, "I've been trying that on all my customers today." "Did you catch many?" I asked. "Quite a few," he said, "but I knew for sure I'd catch you." "Why is that?" I asked. "Because you're so goddamned educated, doc, I knew you couldn't be very smart."

Korey Kaczynski
01-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Probably in the 120-130 range.

billv
01-08-2008, 05:22 PM

I don't buy it. Median IQ is 100. That would put Ron in the dumber 50 percent of the nation. I'd put him around a 135 or 140

colecrowe
01-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Asimov is one of my favorites. RIP.

BTW - anyone who thinks you can get though Med School with an average IQ is smoking something.

You could definitely do it with a 110. You would have to have a lot in you though: character and thoughtfulness, etc.

colecrowe
01-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by colecrowe :

I don't buy it. Median IQ is 100. That would put Ron in the dumber 50 percent of the nation. I'd put him around a 135 or 140

Dude, I have 550 posts. So you have to trust me.

:)

Korey Kaczynski
01-08-2008, 05:24 PM

Riiiiight.

Let's face it; that's ridiculously low. Way too low to be a legit score.

Not even Thompson has that low of an IQ, and he seems to be the slowest of the bunch.

Korey Kaczynski
01-08-2008, 05:26 PM
That said, Mensa is a joke full of ego-masturbators who are politically liberal.

Oneironaut07
01-08-2008, 05:31 PM
150, I think.
Generally speaking, the classifications for IQ ranges (as a psychometrician I am well-versed about this topic) are on the Weischler 15 SD Scale (median 100)
90-110: Average (68% of the population)
110-120: Above Average
120-130: Superior
130+ Very superior

the subcategories of the very superior category are

130-145: Gifted
145-160: Extremely Gifted
160+: Genius

My IQ is 146 on the WAIS-III
To give you an Idea of how high that is consider that my SAT score (prior to the 1995 recentering) was 1560..800 math 760 verbal

werdd
01-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Generally speaking, the classifications for IQ ranges (as a psychometrician I am well-versed about this topic) are on the Weischler 15 SD Scale (median 100)
90-110: Average (68% of the population)
110-120: Above Average
120-130: Superior
130+ Very superior

the subcategories of the very superior category are

130-145: Gifted
145-160: Extremely Gifted
160+: Genius

My IQ is 146 on the WAIS-III
To give you an Idea of how high that is consider that my SAT score (prior to the 1995 recentering) was 1560..800 math 760 verbal

wow /masterbate for me

BuddyRey
01-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Just so you know, genius is so unlikely it's silly to imagine Ron Paul is one--but he is definitely brilliant. But also know, people with 115-130 can be incredibly, incredibly "smart" and "thoughtful" and "insightful" or "booksmart" or "streetsmart" or "quick", etc.--but they could also be complete dolts, maybe only smart in one thing. And then people with 100 IQs can work at it and become very "smart" and "thoughtful" and "insightful" or "booksmart" or "streetsmart" or "quick", etc.

Who said, It doesn't matter HOW intelligent one is, but instead HOW one IS intelligent.

The closest way of determining one's intelligence, devised and perfected in over a century of scientific studies[2][3] is via an I.Q. test. Two among the most influential psychologists studying intelligence, Lewis M. Terman and Leta Hollingworth, suggested two different numbers when considering the cut-off for genius in psychometric terms. Dr. Terman considered it to be an IQ of 140, while Dr. Hollingworth put it at an IQ of 180.[4][5] Moreover, both these numbers are ratio IQs, which in deviation values used presently put the genius IQ cut-off at 136 (98.77th percentile) and 162 (99.994th percentile) respectively.[6] There are also several examples of people with IQ levels in the genius range who have a disability or very low level in one of the subcategories. In addition to the fundamental criticism that intelligence measured in this way is an example of reification and ranking fallacies,[7] the IQ test has also been criticized as having a "cultural bias" in its interpretation despite claims that these tests are designed to eliminate race/gender for example by predicting numerical sequences, etc. Accordingly, the definition of genius embraces those who do not necessarily have a IQ test score of this stature, or who have not even taken such a test. A vast intelligence is needed, but the mental state of possessing genius is based primarily upon an incredible understanding of complex issues and problems, and a profound creativity and imagination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genius

QFT! The IQ test is a good overall indicator, but a poor measurement of intelligence in all of the versatile forms that it takes. One can have high emotional IQ or "people skills", or vast general knowledge, but be an abysmal math & science person. Likewise, there are savant-like left-brain geniuses who could solve a Rubick's Cube in 30 seconds flat, but might have a very hard time understanding figures of speech, puns, or satire.

Find your strengths, and hone them to their absolute zenith. You can let the other stuff go, but as long as you've got one or two subjects you're skilled at and passionate about, you'll get through life OK. And young people, don't let your pedantic and out-of-touch teachers/professors break your spirit or try to tell you that you'll never make anything out of yourself in your chosen field. Don't forget, every great success story starts with some negative external force stating emphatically that it will never happen! :D

m72mc
01-08-2008, 05:55 PM

Or is it 180?

my father had 140 something and my friend scored 180+ and thats VERY high
not many ppl are that smart but ron paul sure IS.

and yeah you cant measure all intelligence in tests, but you can see em in action.

my professor in statistics told me repeatedly you can train for the tests though..but still think you need the potential

90 is average, not sure if the slow talker (thinker) FT reach that high though.. LOL well youve seen him in the dabtes

webaform
01-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Asimov said that? Cool. It would take a lifetime to read all he wrote in his lifetime.

So true.

I had the exact same experience with the Army. Everyone wanted to see my paperwork the evening I got to Basic. First 3 mornings were spent as a no insignia private cleaning dishes on KP. My feet were killing me in those new boots.

There are all types of intelligence out there. It's good to know where you are weak, and who can fill in for that weakness.

Isaac Asimov:

daviddee
01-08-2008, 05:57 PM

Carole
01-08-2008, 05:58 PM
That was very well put and so true...and funny.

It reminds me of something my Dad used to speak of about people of intelligence.(I think he was hinting to me not to be just book smart.) It had to do with common sense and a little bit of street smarts, too. So I understand exactly what you are saying.

He used to tell the silly joke about the guy who had a flat tire just next to an insane asylum. The guy changed the tire, but lost the lug nuts for it. He was being closely watched by one of the inmates of the asylum. Finally, after the guy could not figure out what to do about his lost lug nuts, the inmate suggested he take one lug nut from each of the other tires and use them.

The guy did that and then asked the inmate, "That was a good idea, so why are you in there anyway?"

The inmate replied, "I'm in here because I'm crazy, not stupid." :)

Anyway, Dr. Paul has a lot of common sense along with his intelligence, mixed with compassion and concern for his fell man. All things together make him a far more intelligent person than, say, just an academic might be, or a businessman,etc.

He is so well-rounded, well read, and thirsty for knowledge that it all seems to him like plain old Texas talk or common sense. He probably does not think of himself as brilliant and has even said so. Really interesting subject though. Glad someone mentioned it.

dkim68
01-08-2008, 05:59 PM
I honestly believe he's smarter than all the other candidates combined, including the Dems. In every debate he's been in it's almost as if he's a Professor among Middle-Schoolers. The Middle-Schooler's behaving like an immature cool kids club and Ron Paul being the calm and wise one. He is definately the sharpest pencil in the box.

partypoker
01-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Ron Paul is a MD you know, not something that is easy to achieve and requires a decent amount of intelligence.

ChooseLiberty
01-08-2008, 06:10 PM
That was hilarious. :D

He used to tell the silly joke about the guy who had a flat tire just next to an insane asylum. The guy changed the tire, but lost the lug nuts for it. He was being closely watched by one of the inmates of the asylum. Finally, after the guy could not figure out what to do about his lost lug nuts, the inmate suggested he take one lug nut from each of the other tires and use them.

The guy did that and then asked the inmate, "That was a good idea, so why are you in there anyway?"

The inmate replied, "I'm in here because I'm crazy, not stupid." :)

Carole
01-08-2008, 06:12 PM
QFT! Don't forget, every great success story starts with some negative external force stating emphatically that it will never happen! :D

Tee Hee...

Dr. Paul will NEVER be President.
Dr. Paul will NEVER be President
Dr. Paul will NEVER be President. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

burningfur
01-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Seriously, you guys are talking about his IQ? Remember when the national media compared the IQ of Kerry and Bush? They said that Bush had a higher IQ.

Totally Irrelevant.

The IQ is a horrible way to test intelligence, there are many different kinds of "intelligence". EQ or Emotional Intelligence for example. But regardless, this is not relevant to the election.

magicmike
01-08-2008, 06:21 PM
The idea of being 'intelligent' is a good way to stop being so. My approach has been I know nothing, and that is all I need to know. Study and learning should be a lifelong pursuit.

As far as genius goes, I think it has less to do with intelligence and more to do with lateral thinking (the impractical thinking most of us would laugh at) high intelligence is just a natural result of that type of thinking and thus why they score so high.

Look up Einstein, Tesla and may other geniuses they all had some very strange impractical ideas.

To be honest I'm glad Ron Paul is not a super genius, he's smart enough to know it's better to read the instruction manual (Constitution) than to try building a country based upon one's own intelligence.

ChooseLiberty
01-08-2008, 06:23 PM
The guys that wrote The Constitution were definitely geniuses.

The more I study them the more amazed I am.
:D

Young_Apprentice
01-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Like many of the founders, RP is an autodidact, which I believe to be far more indicative of his intelligence than an IQ test. Look up Christopher Langan. He has the highest known IQ score in the world and he's also a fascist.

Carole
01-08-2008, 06:30 PM
I do not think of IQ so much as I think of common sense, well-read, and definitely above average intelligence. All his solutions sound to me like simple common sense. They seem all to come from his view of the Constitution as a firm foundation, from which he never deviates. He has lived his philosophy so long that it comes second nature to him and he can quickly answer any question using it as his guide. That is why he is so consistent and can explain in such simple language that anyone should be able to "get" it. Sadly, some do not. :(

I know he is extremely well-read and intelligent, but nearly all his solutions boil down to common sense. I say that because each solution, to me, just makes sense. common sense.

He definitely has read a lot and studied a lot about economics and other things, but years and years of living one simple philosophy makes him seem like a genius, though he himself has said otherwise. Together with his other excellent qualities, that makes him appear even more intelligent and enables him to embrace the Libertarian stance.

Carl Corey
01-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Politicians (including Bush) generally have an IQ in the 120-130 range. People with higher IQs don't appeal to the masses in a democracy because there's too big an intellectual gap, which partially explains the trouble the USA is in.

Ron Paul undoubtedly had a 130+ IQ in his youth which led to his intelligent political viewpoints, but lost about 10 to 20 IQ points due to his age and the Flynn effect.

Fortunately this puts him in the 115-130 range increasing his chances to be elected.

stalcottsmith
01-08-2008, 06:47 PM
To me, genius is evident or measured by the product of one's life. A score on a test does not mean much except potential according to some standard. It's all about what you do with what you have. Many intelligent people do not amount to much. Many of more modest ability end up accomplishing a whole lot more. Exceptionally gifted people must never let the idea that they are special in some way prevent them from working hard to accomplish something of lasting value.

In my estimation, Ron Paul is definitely a genius -- he found the formula for a revolution -- but he also toiled for years carefully building this project as a life's work.

He probably does not have a 180 IQ. Many such people are so bizarrely talented that they cannot usefully relate to people one or two standard deviations below them.

An IQ of 120+ is adequate to be reasonably successful in almost any field or endeavor. Steady effort in a single direction will definitely add up to far more than brilliant zig zags in 50 different directions.

Ron belongs in the category of late-blossoming genius -- an encouragement to those of us who find ourselves nearing midlife without the accomplishment we might have aspired to. Time to buckle down and focus.

pacelli
01-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Well, the best standardized IQ test in the US only goes up to 155, so lets get real. I'd say Ron is right up in the 140's.

paulitics
01-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Most Drs have to have at least a 130 IQ to finish out school. My guess is he is 140. This is better than Darwin, but not Einstein.

Lars
01-08-2008, 10:13 PM
You don't need to be a genius. Most of it is common sense and has been facts for hundreds of years. Check www.mises.com and all the other sources Ron refers to. This message is not new - just forgotten!