PDA

View Full Version : Issue: Foreign Policy: Iraq: Pulling out now?

zMtLlC
05-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Well, I just got back from canvassing, and someone really argued with me about withdrawing from Iraq now. He said he would never support Dr. Paul because of that. I couldn't really argue with him about it, since I agree with him. I didn't want to say that, though.

Well, what are the merits of the case that we should withdraw now?

mdh
05-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Why didn't you want to say it? As long as you explain that Dr Paul's positions are his own, and yours are your own, I see no problem. Heck, I think it could've helped you build a bridge with this person by explaining your own individual take on the matter.

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail
05-21-2007, 06:44 PM
Have you read today's house.gov posting:

Fixing What's Wrong With Iraq
http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2007/tst052107.htm

I can't see how the left or right could disagree with what he is proposing. It is so obvious its hard believe I haven't heard it before. Another refreshing viewpoint from Dr. Paul.

zMtLlC
05-21-2007, 06:46 PM
Why didn't you want to say it? As long as you explain that Dr Paul's positions are his own, and yours are your own, I see no problem. Heck, I think it could've helped you build a bridge with this person by explaining your own individual take on the matter.

Looking back, I probably should have, but at the time I thought only about defending Dr. Paul and didn't think that saying that I disagreed with him on something that important would do any good towards getting that person's vote.

Hawaii Libertarian
05-21-2007, 06:52 PM
Well, I just got back from canvassing, and someone really argued with me about withdrawing from Iraq now. He said he would never support Dr. Paul because of that. I couldn't really argue with him about it, since I agree with him. I didn't want to say that, though.

Well, what are the merits of the case that we should withdraw now?

Besides the public statements of numerous retired general officers that have come out against the war, the basic issue is that the Iraqi Government, as established predominantly by U.S. officials (e.g. L. Paul Bremer) is totally unworkable because the Shiia, Sunni, and Kurds are unwilling to work together, which led to the meltdown of order and all out civil war based on religious hatred and rivalries between religious factions, which also are political factions in that country.

Second, read a copy of the Iraqi constitution. Bremer essentially established a theocracy which recognizes Islam as a state religion, which for practical purposes is contrary to the values of our nation. We have no business nation building in a Muslim country because as Dr. Paul states, we simply don't understand the irrationality of Arab politics.

Despite the politicians that wrap themselves around the flag, the best way to "support the troops" is to get our military people out of the middle of a no-win war and avoid any further loss of life and maiming of Americans. We haven't learned anything from Vietnam, have we? The neocon interventionist foreign policy is a failure. If it's all about the oil, why doesn't the adminsitration come out and say what the compelling national interest is in Iraq? All the administration can come up with is to enforce their sacred UN resolutions, yet few UN member states have any military forces left in Iraq, so UN support is a total joke.