PDA

View Full Version : So this is the mindset we are up against

Greg in VA
01-08-2008, 11:08 AM
http://www.cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?parm1=5&docID=news-000002652897

Moment Of Truth In N.H. As Voters Stream To Polls
By Jonathan Allen, CQ Staff
Warner, N.H. — A steady stream of voters filtered into town hall here in this Frostian hamlet to cast ballots in the nation’s first presidential primary Tuesday morning.

Democratic candidates’ signs and election-day volunteers dominated the lawn, but there were also voters like Roy and Virginia Ferguson, who showed up to cast their ballots on the Republican side for former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney .

“He’s not from the establishment,” said Virginia Ferguson, who made up her mind long ago.

“It was a tough choice between Mitt Romney and John McCain ,” her husband said. “I’m a little worried about McCain’s age.”

April Blood, 35, said she voted Democratic, for New York Sen. Hillary Clinton, in part because she knew her favorite candidate, Texas Rep. Ron Paul , would not win.

Clinton, she said, would look out for her parents and her children, the youngest of whom was strapped to her back.

“My parents are at that age that I want to make sure there’s something going on for them,” she said. And for her kids, Clinton is best positioned to ensure there are available jobs “when they’re ready to work,” she said.

First-time voter Matthias Nevins, 18, liked Illinois Sen. Barack Obama ’s platform on the environment, health care and other issues. And then there was the rock star thing.

“I went to a rally last night,” he said. “The feel was uplifting.”

Voters said they will be relieved when their phones stop ringing incessantly, but they are fiercely proud and protective of the role they play in the primary process.

Jim Mitchell, owner of Main Street Book Ends, a popular stop for candidates, said the face-to-face contact voters have with candidates is invaluable.

“We really, truly enjoy this every four years,” he said.

I think one of my few criticism of Dr. Paul is that at times he is too critical, I agree deeply with his positions, but feel that the campaign is going to have to work on having him exert more of an optimistic tone. I think the lack of optimism hurts. He does a good job of pointing out the facts, but that also needs to be mixed with an optimistic message of hope and freedom. My wife made comments which got me to think about this. I suspect that is why Brother Huck is doing well for his generally optimistic, save for when he gets into bloody boots mode.