PDA

View Full Version : What if they bring back the draft?

MsDoodahs
01-08-2008, 11:06 AM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig4/wiggins5.html

That's an article from 2003.

The title is How To Stay Out of the Military (Primer on Draft Resistance)

I do not know if the information it contains remains accurate.

Just wanted to get it linked here so it's handy.

ashlux
01-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Being too old or in bad health is a good way to avoid a draft :-)

Deborah K
01-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Rangel has introduced a resolution to force everyone from 18-42 to serve a stint in the military:

"Every day that the military option is on the table, as declared by the President in his State of the Union address, in Iran, North Korea, and Syria, reinstatement of the military draft is an option that must also be considered, whether we like it or not," Congressman Rangel said. "If the military is already having trouble getting the recruits they need, what can we do to fill the ranks if the war spreads from Iraq to other countries? We may have no other choice but a draft."

The bill would mandate military service for men and women between the ages of 18 and 42. Deferments would be allowed only for completion of high school up to the age of 20, and for reasons of health, conscience or religious belief. Recruits not needed by the military in any given year would be required to perform some national civilian service.

"My bill conforms to the age standards that have been set by the Army itself," Congressman Rangel said, referring to the Army's recent announcement raising the top age for Army volunteers from 39 to 42. "With volunteers now being accepted up to the age of 42, it makes sense to cap the age of draftees at 42," Congressman Rangel said.

proximity
01-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Everyone that votes for the presidential winner should be drafted first to support them draft reinstating man or woman.

MsDoodahs
01-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Most women I know pooh pooh the idea that when the draft is reinstated, they'll be drafted along with the males.

I can't figure out why they feel so comfy that it will only be the men...

asgardshill
01-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Considering that the article is from 2003 and there is still no draft, I'm of the opinion that its probably not going to happen any time soon. The military recruits bright, capable and WILLING men and women, not cannon fodder. And a high percentage of cannon fodder is exactly what you'd end up with if you instituted a draft.

MsDoodahs
01-08-2008, 11:30 AM
I think Rudy said that if he's elected he wants to form ten new "divisions."

Being that I'm not familiar with the size of a "division," just how many people would making ten new divisions require?

Thanks. :)

Brennon
01-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Considering that the article is from 2003 and there is still no draft, I'm of the opinion that its probably not going to happen any time soon. The military recruits bright, capable and WILLING men and women, not cannon fodder. And a high percentage of cannon fodder is exactly what you'd end up with if you instituted a draft.

I respect the military immensely...with that said, I have several friends in the military. Unfortunately, a large portion of the military are no longer 'bright and capable' (some of my friends included). Don't take this as me attacking the military, but the military is so desperate for recruits that they've got to scrape the bottom of the barrel a bit. As far as willing goes, out of the 6 individuals in the military I speak to on a regular basis (3 navy, 2 army, 1 marine) not a single one is willing anymore. They all hate the military with a passion and see it as a sham. As a result, they hardly work at all and will do whatever it takes to avoid it.

asgardshill
01-08-2008, 11:35 AM
I think Rudy said that if he's elected he wants to form ten new "divisions."

Being that I'm not familiar with the size of a "division," just how many people would making ten new divisions require?

Ten divisions is 100,000 to 150,000 soldiers.

Deborah K
01-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Women will go too. No doubt about it. Here's Ron Paul's take on it:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul209.html

asgardshill
01-08-2008, 11:38 AM
I respect the military immensely...with that said, I have several friends in the military. Unfortunately, a large portion of the military are no longer 'bright and capable' (some of my friends included). Don't take this as me attacking the military, but the military is so desperate for recruits that they've got to scrape the bottom of the barrel a bit. As far as willing goes, out of the 6 individuals in the military I speak to on a regular basis (3 navy, 2 army, 1 marine) not a single one is willing anymore. They all hate the military with a passion and see it as a sham. As a result, they hardly work at all and will do whatever it takes to avoid it.

Can't say I blame them for feeling that way. The military life is hard, and even more so during war. Heck, I spent 12 years in the Canoe Club (Navy) and I definitely didn't get out of my bunk with a gleam in my eye and a spring in my step every single day.

Thurston Howell III
01-08-2008, 11:46 AM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig4/wiggins5.html

That's an article from 2003.

The title is How To Stay Out of the Military (Primer on Draft Resistance)

I do not know if the information it contains remains accurate.

Just wanted to get it linked here so it's handy.

I'm afraid they will sacrifice our children to the empire. Our children, not theirs!
The draft will come and I also look for the minimum age for voluntary service to be lowered. I fear for my Grandson.

Kregener
01-08-2008, 11:49 AM
The military recruits bright, capable and WILLING men and women, not cannon fodder.

Sure, that is why there are 20,000 known gang members "serving".

HOW TO AVOID THE DRAFT OR NATIONAL SERVICE (http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/archive.cgi?read=63207)

asgardshill
01-08-2008, 11:51 AM

As long as they're not tagging their barracks and shooting each other over the color of their uniforms, fine by me. Better in a responsible job than hanging out in the streets.

Dieseler
01-08-2008, 11:53 AM

HOW TO AVOID THE DRAFT OR NATIONAL SERVICE (http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/archive.cgi?read=63207)

They will come back with pretty good military training....

MsDoodahs
01-08-2008, 11:54 AM
So if Rudy were to win, he's wanting 10 additional divisions which means low side at least 1,000,000 recruits.

Anyone know if this is possible with the current "volunteer" method?

Dieseler
01-08-2008, 11:55 AM
So if Rudy were to win, he's wanting 10 additional divisions which means low side at least 1,000,000 recruits.

Anyone know if this is possible with the current "volunteer" method?

Absolutely NO WAY.

MsDoodahs
01-08-2008, 11:57 AM

Another site - good!

I'd like to gather as much information as possible...

jacmicwag
01-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Back to the future.

MsDoodahs
01-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Absolutely NO WAY.

Seriously, Diesel?

Okay, so....

Am I the only one thinking we're within 1 - 2 years of a draft reinstatement?

Dieseler
01-08-2008, 12:07 PM
I don't believe we have enough volunteers to maintain another war front like Iraq.
I don't really know but from the sound of things with the war we have now we are not meeting the recruitment quotas desired.

eldeeder
01-08-2008, 12:19 PM
we NEED a draft. Once they start forcing people to go to war, then people in this country are going to wake up.

Birdlady
01-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Seriously, Diesel?

Okay, so....

Am I the only one thinking we're within 1 - 2 years of a draft reinstatement?

It is coming. They just have to get a war started first and make us believe it is real.

Just so everyone knows. I will NEVER serve in their army and will refuse by whatever means necessary.

If that means I have to live in the woods for 5 years, then so be it.

MsDoodahs
01-08-2008, 12:29 PM
we NEED a draft. Once they start forcing people to go to war, then people in this country are going to wake up.

:eek:

Um....

Wow I honestly don't know what to say...

driller80545
01-08-2008, 12:36 PM
I am sure that McCain would have no objection to a draft. He believes that the military is where its at. I think there will be a new "Gulf of Tonken" incident for them to use as an excuse to reinstate it. The draft will give the establishment more control over the young people to their way of thinking.
I don't think that they will call it a draft though. They will rename it "obligatory service to your country" or some other smoke screen

eldeeder
01-08-2008, 12:38 PM
:eek:

Um....

Wow I honestly don't know what to say...

Dont get me wrong, I am totally against a draft. but I would love to see what this country would turn into if the started a new one. It would be chaos.

Deborah K
01-08-2008, 12:41 PM

Ummmm.....do you have children?? I have four!!! ALL eligible! How 'bout YOU sacrifice YOUR kids, cuz I ain't willing to! Sheeeesh!

Dieseler
01-08-2008, 12:46 PM
My Son is 19.

MsDoodahs
01-08-2008, 12:58 PM
It would be chaos.

I also believe it would result in some chaos, and that's also part of why I think this is our last chance with Dr. Paul, NOW.

My concern centers around those who are already awake. You know, like the folks HERE. :)

CelestialRender
01-08-2008, 01:06 PM
But anyways...the ruling elite know what (almost) happened the last time we had a draft. They won't make that mistake again, unless it's absolutely vital to their maintaining a hold on power.

CelestialRender
01-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Dont get me wrong, I am totally against a draft. but I would love to see what this country would turn into if the started a new one. It would be chaos.

First, note my avatar. I understand what you're getting at, but you might want to remember that cheering on chaos with a smile is generally viewed as insane. :eek:

Mortikhi
01-08-2008, 01:35 PM
I've already done my time. I did 4 years active and 4 inactive. I'm untouchable.

That simply means that when/if the draft starts, this 35 yr old will be able to raise holy living hell with the powers-that-be here in the states.

xd9fan
01-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Then EDITED..

MsDoodahs
01-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Anyone know whether Canada would send our kids back if they tried to flee there to avoid conscription?

If Canada can't be counted on as a haven, then we might ought to start looking at other places...

Visual
01-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Rangel has introduced a resolution to force everyone from 18-42 to serve a stint in the military:

"Every day that the military option is on the table, as declared by the President in his State of the Union address, in Iran, North Korea, and Syria, reinstatement of the military draft is an option that must also be considered, whether we like it or not," Congressman Rangel said. "If the military is already having trouble getting the recruits they need, what can we do to fill the ranks if the war spreads from Iraq to other countries? We may have no other choice but a draft."

The bill would mandate military service for men and women between the ages of 18 and 42. Deferments would be allowed only for completion of high school up to the age of 20, and for reasons of health, conscience or religious belief. Recruits not needed by the military in any given year would be required to perform some national civilian service.

"My bill conforms to the age standards that have been set by the Army itself," Congressman Rangel said, referring to the Army's recent announcement raising the top age for Army volunteers from 39 to 42. "With volunteers now being accepted up to the age of 42, it makes sense to cap the age of draftees at 42," Congressman Rangel said.

As someone who is draft eligable for another 5 to 6 years (don't remember the age limit), I don't have a problem with compulsory military after education is done. However, it would have to be started during peace time, which would mean not during conflict and not before an impending conflict.

bluefish
01-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Did anyone see the Bush speech this afternoon? He mentioned Iran several times and he had
that gleam in his eye---I believe the stage is being set as we speak.