PDA

View Full Version : Shouldn't We Be Focusing on Winning Over Huckabee Supporters Now?

NoMoreApathy
01-08-2008, 09:04 AM
I think we should focus on Huckabee supporters from here on out. All we need to do is show them 2 things...

1. His positions, especially LATELY, mirror most of Ron's.

2. His rhetoric is not matching up with his record, but Ron's does.

It should be as simple as that. That, plus a little bit of "electability" with some good showings here in the early primaries, and it ought to be pretty easy to steal Huckabee supporters away.

Let's not forget, Huckabee is a new name AS WELL. Most of his support base probably knows VERY LITTLE about the guy TO BEGIN WITH. All they have to go on is the newfound constant media coverage of him.

All we need to do is show Huck's supporters that BY DEFAULT, they are also Ron Paul supporters and don't even realize it.

icon124
01-08-2008, 09:05 AM
well everytime I run across one I will tell them when huckabee decided to "do" these things...tehn I will tell them how long RP has being DOING these things and talking about these things

JMann
01-08-2008, 09:06 AM
YES. If Paul beats Huck today Mikey is finished. The natural place for them to go should be Paul.

NoMoreApathy
01-08-2008, 09:09 AM
YES. If Paul beats Huck today Mikey is finished. The natural place for them to go should be Paul.

Yeah, it would be HUGE to finish ahead of Huckabee today.

We need to focus on showing them that their guy is just grabbing up positions as he goes along. If they support him NOW, then there's no reason why they SHOULDN'T support Ron.

Maybe the foriegn policy thing gets in the way too, but there's gotta be plenty of Huckabee supporters that don't place foreign policy on the top of their concern list.

AdoubleR
01-08-2008, 09:11 AM

I think Mirror is too nice... I would preffer to stay are stolen from... :D

But I would agree... If he enlightens the hucksters enough, perhaps we can get them to switch over to the authentic candidate...

JMann
01-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Yeah, it would be HUGE to finish ahead of Huckabee today.

We need to focus on showing them that their guy is just grabbing up positions as he goes along. If they support him NOW, then there's no reason why they SHOULDN'T support Ron.

Maybe the foriegn policy thing gets in the way too, but there's gotta be plenty of Huckabee supporters that don't place foreign policy on the top of their concern list.

Even Huck as spoken of Bush's arrogant foreign policy. He isn't on the same page with Paul on the war but he is probably the least pro war of the lot.

Eponym_mi
01-08-2008, 09:16 AM
We definitely need to convert Huckabee supporters. Huckabee is going to drop out without funding. I think that is inevitable. Huckabee supporters I have spoken to would lean toward RP vs others, although RP's viability for the nomination is questioned. Huckabee will probably throw his support to McCain when he drops out, but I doubt that supporters would be happy with that.

Pete Kay
01-08-2008, 09:17 AM
I think we should focus on Huckabee supporters from here on out. All we need to do is show them 2 things...

2. His rhetoric is not matching up with his record, but Ron's does.

It should be as simple as that. That, plus a little bit of "electability" with some good showings here in the early primaries, and it ought to be pretty easy to steal Huckabee supporters away.

Let's not forget, Huckabee is a new name AS WELL. Most of his support base probably knows VERY LITTLE about the guy TO BEGIN WITH. All they have to go on is the newfound constant media coverage of him.

All we need to do is show Huck's supporters that BY DEFAULT, they are also Ron Paul supporters and don't even realize it.

That's true. That's what I was trying to point out in the other thread. Huckabee has the power to convert the sheep. Imagine if Huckabee keeps pushing Constitutionalist ideas to his supporters. When we have evangelicals criticizing the Federal Reserve and our foreign policy, then we are on the road to winning.

Let Huck do that job until he runs out of money. Then we can swoop in.

You know Ron is going to beat Huck today.

coffeewithchess
01-08-2008, 09:19 AM
You don't understand the ignorance of most people today. From the supporters I have spoken with, they support Huckabee, not because of his record, but because he wears his religion on his sleeve(I'm a Southern Baptist and will not vote for him).
Huckabee doesn't have a record to run on, think about it...the people that are voting for him have to be absolutely ignorant by not looking at his record...the typical voters. They get their information from the television.

Menthol Patch
01-08-2008, 09:19 AM
That's true. That's what I was trying to point out in the other thread. Huckabee has the power to convert the sheep. Imagine if Huckabee keeps pushing Constitutionalist ideas to his supporters. When we have evangelicals criticizing the Federal Reserve and our foreign policy, then we are on the road to winning.

Let Huck do that job until he runs out of money. Then we can swoop in.

You know Ron is going to beat Huck today.

He is not pushing constitutionalist ideas to anyone! He is barely giving LIP SERVICE to the constitution!

There is a BIG difference between saying, "I support small government like the constitution advocates" and EXPLAINING it to people!

He is not doing ANYTHING but running his mouth to get votes!

Menthol Patch
01-08-2008, 09:22 AM
You don't understand the ignorance of most people today. From the supporters I have spoken with, they support Huckabee, not because of his record, but because he wears his religion on his sleeve(I'm a Southern Baptist and will not vote for him).
Huckabee doesn't have a record to run on, think about it...the people that are voting for him have to be absolutely ignorant by not looking at his record...the typical voters. They get their information from the television.

I attend a Southern Baptist church too when I'm able to get there due to transportation problems!

I totally agree with you. All the Christians I know support candidates by ONE measure: who talks about JESUS the most!

That's right, 90% of Christians could care less if a candidate is small government or not. They really don't care about his policies on taxation, gun ownership, the constitution, or what nation he wants to go to war against! All they care about is who talks about JESUS the most frequently!

NoMoreApathy
01-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Even Huck as spoken of Bush's arrogant foreign policy. He isn't on the same page with Paul on the war but he is probably the least pro war of the lot.

He's probably in reality VERY pro-war, but knows that if he SEEMS moderate about it, he can get more votes across the board, especially in the Independent-heavy states.

His speech to the CSIS was very telling. I almost sort of, kind of, in a SMALL WAY, liked the guy a few months ago (wouldn't vote for him, of course), until I read what he said to the CSIS. It was about as neo-con as you can get.

Read it: http://www.cfr.org/publication/14335/

This guy would probably wage as much war as any typical neo-con. That's why he's getting so much press these days.

He's about as fake as GWB in 2000.

coffeewithchess
01-08-2008, 09:24 AM
He's probably in reality VERY pro-war, but knows that if he SEEMS moderate about it, he can get more votes across the board, especially in the Independent-heavy states.

His speech to the CSIS was very telling. I almost sort of, kind of, in a SMALL WAY, liked the guy a few months ago (wouldn't vote for him, of course), until I read what he said to the CSIS. It was about as neo-con as you can get.

Read it: http://www.cfr.org/publication/14335/

This guy would probably wage as much war as any typical neo-con. That's why he's getting so much press these days.

He's about as fake as GWB in 2000.

Huckabee is getting his foreign policy advice from one of the guys over at the CFR...same group that wanted to reshape our policy.

NoMoreApathy
01-08-2008, 09:27 AM
We definitely need to convert Huckabee supporters. Huckabee is going to drop out without funding. I think that is inevitable. Huckabee supporters I have spoken to would lean toward RP vs others, although RP's viability for the nomination is questioned. Huckabee will probably throw his support to McCain when he drops out, but I doubt that supporters would be happy with that.

Huckabee doesn't NEED the kind of funding that we do, though. All his press coverage is literally MILLIONS of dollars worth of free advertising. It's the same reason why McCain is back now...the media coverage.

It's the only way to describe how a broke candidate is getting this much support.

Huckabee is getting his foreign policy advice from one of the guys over at the CFR...same group that wanted to reshape our policy.

Richard Haas.

RPinSEAZ
01-08-2008, 09:29 AM
I haven't met a single Huckabee supporter, but when I talk to one, I'll be sure to try to win him/her over. Met quite a few Rudy supporters though.

NoMoreApathy
01-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Huckabee's campaign may end up backfiring on him though. There's no one else for his evangelical supporters to go to if he dwindles. Certainly not Rudy or Romney, and certainly not McCain.

The only one who most closely matches Huckabee on social issues is Ron.

If Huck's campaign dwindles down, we could benefit from getting his support base to come over to us.

Grandson of Liberty
01-08-2008, 09:37 AM
don't underestimate the media's ability to keep a candidate afloat.

I don't seem to remember a Drudge headline touting Dr. Paul and birthright citizenship, but Huckabee's got one today, giving him all the props for such a good idea.
:mad:

NoMoreApathy
01-08-2008, 09:40 AM
don't underestimate the media's ability to keep a candidate afloat.

I don't seem to remember a Drudge headline touting Dr. Paul and birthright citizenship, but Huckabee's got one today, giving him all the props for such a good idea.
:mad:

Ehh, fuck drudge. I've never even been to that site. I doubt that any type of majority of average voters has either. Drudge ain't TV news, he's just a dude with an internet site. We have the competition beat on the internet. It's the TV where we're losing out.

bobo37
01-08-2008, 09:57 AM
We are in the process of getting this acomplished in SC. We are working hard here and its going well.

Cleaner44
01-08-2008, 10:02 AM
I think it may actually help us that Huck has been stealing RP ideas. Now more people are thinking of getting rid of the IRS and such. Huck will fall and we can pick up the pieces.

Abyss
01-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Just tell them that Hucks son killed a dog by hanging it and then cutting its throut, at a boyscout camp.

Then say that Huck got his son off free because Huck was the governor.

Ask if those kinds of people are what we want in the white house.

Also I think that the #1 thing that make people go away from Ron Paul is this feeling of "electability".

If he gets 1/2 here in NH, then we can EASILY push that aside. with strong logic.

RP support should BOOM.