PDA

View Full Version : Why? Because We Need It! Why Not? You Tell Me!

Charles Wilson
01-08-2008, 08:30 AM
I want to see the Ron Paul campaign request Federal Matching Funds. I have maxed out and cannot donate anymore to the campaign however I can donate more through my Federal Income Taxes, if HQ will request matching funds. I pay taxes therefore I want part of my taxes to go toward financing the Ron Paul campaign. If you agree, please let HQ know that you want them to apply for matching funds.

"In American politics the term matching funds refers to the money a presidential candidate is given by federal government to match the money they have raised personally. Candidates can expect up to $250 extra from public funds for each contribution from an individual they receive."

"This usually only applies to the two main parties; as for third party candidates gaining the benefits of matching funds they must additionally have received 5% of the popular vote in the previous election. Hence the anomaly of Ross Perot standing as Reform Party candidate in 1992 and receiving 18% of the vote, yet receiving no matching funds because the Reform Party did not receive 5% of the vote in 1988; whilst Pat Buchanan, running as the Reform Party candidate in 2000, did receive matching funds despite winning only 0.4% of the vote." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matching_funds