PDA

View Full Version : A response from the constitution party

Sematary
07-20-2007, 08:52 AM
Dear Bob,

Thank you for your support of the Constitution Party and for your message about Congressman Ron Paul. Many in our party share your desire to see him become the next President.

The Constitution Party's presidential candidate will be selected at its convention in the spring of 2008. We can't say for sure what will be decided by our convention delegates, but as the party who puts principle above party loyalty, in the unlikely event that Ron Paul is able to capture the Republican nomination, it seems logical that we would stand behind him.

The dilemma we have is that we cannot sit around and wait to see what the Republicans are going to do but must build the ark that true Constitutionalists can find refuge on when it dawns on them that the Republican and Democrat parties will let them drown. To that end we must work to secure ballot access in all 50 states NOW and find a candidate who can carry our principles into a presidential campaign which will more than likely find a left-of-center candidate carrying the Republican mantle.

If the GOP does choose to return to its conservative ideals by supporting Congressman Paul, then there will be ample opportunity to throw our support behind him should our delegates so decide. If he does not win the GOP nomination we will have done much of the work to gain the ballot lines necessary to field a candidate who shares our values and who will govern constitutionally. That candidate could be Ron Paul should he decide to continue his race by seeking the Constitution Party nomination. You can be a part of this history making decision by becoming involved in building the Constitution Party in your state and being selected as a delegate to the national convention.

Kind regards,

Thom Holmes
Constitution Party National

Oddball
07-20-2007, 08:58 AM
Pretty much the same attitude held by the LP.

Slugg
07-20-2007, 09:10 AM
Pretty much the same attitude held by the LP.

Fair enough though....

I suppose in a perfect world they would jump on the grenade this cycle and rally behind Dr. Paul....

But I see their logic as well.

Oddball
07-20-2007, 09:12 AM
Both the CP and LP have parties to run. Even though Dr. Paul's adherence to principle largely paralells both parties, the people in charge have a vested interest in hedging their bets.

skyorbit
07-20-2007, 09:13 AM
I would hope that even though they're working for Ballot access, that they'd at least register Republican so they can vote in the Republican primery (or if they have an open primery they can keep their Constitution or LP registery standing.) and talk about Ron PAul at the same time.

Tracy

JS4Pat
07-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Fair enough though....

I suppose in a perfect world they would jump on the grenade this cycle and rally behind Dr. Paul....

But I see their logic as well.

I too respect their position but man it would be nice if all the time and effort they will spend on ballot access was directed towards promoting Ron Paul's candidacy.

markpa
07-20-2007, 09:23 AM
I respect that position and also would like to note that many people from the local LP meet-ups also come and support our Ron Paul meet-up.
:D

DAZ
07-20-2007, 10:17 AM
I really can't blame the CP or the LP for this type of stance. Think about it, these people already gave up on reform within the big parties years ago. No surprise they don't have much confidence in the GOP to back Ron Paul. I do believe that if Ron Paul gets the GOP nod, they will back him. If he doesn't, they are still able to run their own campaigns.