PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Straw Poll?

Kandilynn
05-21-2007, 05:43 PM
Does anyone know anything about the straw poll in Ames this August?

I've been reading around and I see that people say that it's super important that candidates do well in that first straw poll. Is there anything that we can do to make sure Ron Paul gets the votes he needs?

Jean
05-22-2007, 07:31 PM
First we need to get his name on the poll!
How do we go about that?

Bradley in DC
05-22-2007, 07:54 PM
I agree that this should be our big break. It is a straw poll/fundraiser to gauge support for Dr. Paul. Pat Robertson won it in 1988 and it galvanized his campaign. I believe the tickets are $35 each to attend and vote, any Iowan can vote, anyone can pay for the tickets. We need to enlist EVERY Iowan we can to attend and make it as easy as possible: organize transportation, lodging if necessary, pay for their tickets, etc.

wwycher
05-22-2007, 08:21 PM
I just wrote a letter to the desmoinesregister.com, telling them that Dr. Pauls poll numbers are not reflecting his true support base and that he has not been allowed to participate.

ARealConservative
05-22-2007, 08:30 PM
http://rothenbergpoliticalreport.blogspot.com/2007/05/for-republicans-iowa-straw-poll-could.html

There is a little info on it.

I live in Illinois - right on the Iowa border - but have lived in Iowa most of my life.

It's not going to be an easy sell. Farm subsidies are highly favorable in the rural area's - and Iowa has lots of rural area's. - which also makes grass roots efforts more difficult.

I formed a RonPaulMeetup group for the "Greater Quad City Area". Which makes up a population density slightly larger then the DesMoines area. We are at 4 members now (2 married couples) but 6 others expressed interest prior to the group being formed - so we should be at 10+ shortly.

This is all happening so quick but my plan is to hit major events - including demographics that are favorable to him. We have a huge week long bike ride across Iowa (RAGBRAI) this summer with 20,000 + riders tons of media coverage and town parties and functions. It ends with the World Famous Bix Jass Festival. They all happen at the end of July - right before the straw poll. So what I want is to coordinate with other's from the state on how best to get max exposure from those events.

I would love to do the ride itself - I did it for years as a teen - but I'm not sure I can pull it off any longer. Getting some riders would be a boon though as townspeople treat you like celebs. You could literally be a moving billboard.

cujothekitten
05-22-2007, 08:38 PM
http://rothenbergpoliticalreport.blogspot.com/2007/05/for-republicans-iowa-straw-poll-could.html

There is a little info on it.

I live in Illinois - right on the Iowa border - but have lived in Iowa most of my life.

It's not going to be an easy sell. Farm subsidies are highly favorable in the rural area's - and Iowa has lots of rural area's. - which also makes grass roots efforts more difficult.

I formed a RonPaulMeetup group for the "Greater Quad City Area". Which makes up a population density slightly larger then the DesMoines area. We are at 4 members now (2 married couples) but 6 others expressed interest prior to the group being formed - so we should be at 10+ shortly.

This is all happening so quick but my plan is to hit major events - including demographics that are favorable to him. We have a huge week long bike ride across Iowa (RAGBRAI) this summer with 20,000 + riders tons of media coverage and town parties and functions. It ends with the World Famous Bix Jass Festival. They all happen at the end of July - right before the straw poll. So what I want is to coordinate with other's from the state on how best to get max exposure from those events.

I would love to do the ride itself - I did it for years as a teen - but I'm not sure I can pull it off any longer. Getting some riders would be a boon though as townspeople treat you like celebs. You could literally be a moving billboard.

I was born in the Quad Cities and most of my family lives there. I'll see what I can do to get them involved as well.

Bradley in DC
05-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Instead of wasting time thinking of reasons why Iowans won't support Dr. Paul, let's think of reasons they would: pro-life, anti-tax, anti-war, etc.

In addition, Dr. Paul represents a rural agricultural district (rice, cattle and shrimp) so he understands their interests. Access to affordable credit is a big issue with farmers (sound money is the answer for lower interest rates). Dr. Paul has been active trying to remove barriers to our agricultural exports (to Cuba, eg) and to eliminate subsidies to our trade competitors.

In addition, I suspect Midwesterns are generally predisposed towards a non-interventionist foriegn policy. Please follow local news and polls for more ideas. In addition, scout out for local activists and groups, letters to the editor, et al. for more allies: homeschoolers, gun owners, and others.

ARealConservative
05-22-2007, 09:24 PM
I was born in the Quad Cities and most of my family lives there. I'll see what I can do to get them involved as well.

Excellent. My family still live in Iowa and I haven't had any luck with my hawkish brother as of yet - and I don't really expect to. For some, this artificial wall is too large to overcome in time for a single election.

If you have any luck - please have them go here. The club is funded and we plan on coordinating some stuff this spring/summer http://ronpaul.meetup.com

We are up to 5 (and two spouses).

cujothekitten
05-23-2007, 08:05 AM
So I'm kind of new to the whole meetup thing and I was wondering if there is a way you can make a large state meetup? I've noticed there are some for cities but not one that is statewide where the different city meetups can talk about stuff...

Chicago has some big festivals coming up, so does Milwaukee. You mentioned a bike ride across Iowa. If we could set up a large Illinois meetup then other members, that are willing to travel to festivals, would know that there is origination for Ron Paul in those areas. This way we can organize in our individual areas but also be made aware of actions that are going on around the state.

Dave
05-23-2007, 08:57 AM
I have attended the Iowa Straw Poll. It's a grotesque spectacle but I would consider it a necessary evil since it will be widely covered and it is the first real test of the candidates. This is even more important now that the caucuses and primaries are so front-loaded. To do poorly in the Iowa Straw Poll this year will reflect very poorly on those campaigns - and to do well requires an extraordinary commitment.

(One strategy is to skip it and/or Iowa entirely. McCain tried this last time and Giuliani is contemplating it this time. Nobody has ever won their party's nomination after skipping Iowa.)

It's far from a scientific poll of a candidates support in Iowa - it's really much more of a test of a candidate's organization. This is really where the campaigns that are serious about a good showing in Iowa flex their muscle. I'm concerned that to my knowledge Dr. Paul doesn't seem to have much of an Iowa organization right now.

It's a carnival-like atmosphere in and around Hilton Coliseum at Iowa State University. There will be tens of thousands of people there. They have parking for over 500 buses that candidates will hire to deliver Iowans to Ames.

Massive tents are set up all around Hilton. Candidates pay big bucks to get the prime locations and have the biggest and most elaborate setup. The wining and dining is over the top. Fantastic spreads of food and drink. Live bands, some with national stature. Hats, buttons, flags, horns, and RAH RAH RAH! Woe to the candidate with the tent clear out in the parking lot offering a bowl of fritos.

Then there's the Iowans. It's like sheep being led to slaughter but instead of slaughter it's a giant party! Only Iowans can vote but literally hundreds of campaign supporters from around the country come to help orgranize busloads from all corners of Iowa and fill them with Iowans to go vote. The parking lot is a sea of buses.

More than once I saw people become anamored with another candidate's tent and 'jump the fence' to check it out. It's a secret ballot so nobody really knows who these people ultimately vote for.

Inside Hilton it's like the national convention. Each candidate gets an opportunity to speak. It seems like it was 10-20 minutes. You'd better have your herd seated by then so they can scream their heads off at the end of your every sentence.

If you're a political junkie, this event IS Xanadu. Even if you're not GOP.

I had an automated call last night from Tommy Thompson offering to bus me to Ames (I only live 45 mins. away) and pay for my $35 ticket in exchange for my support.

The Paul campaign will have to decide soon whether to commit to this event. It's outrageous, very expensive, non-scientific, and I'm not sure if we (yet) have the kind of grassroots support in Iowa that would allow us to light up Ames like we light up the internet. To skip this event might be a risky strategy but there may be better ways to use our limited money and unlimited energy. I trust the judgment of Dr. Paul in this regard.

JosephTheLibertarian
05-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Instead of wasting time thinking of reasons why Iowans won't support Dr. Paul, let's think of reasons they would: pro-life, anti-tax, anti-war, etc.

In addition, Dr. Paul represents a rural agricultural district (rice, cattle and shrimp) so he understands their interests. Access to affordable credit is a big issue with farmers (sound money is the answer for lower interest rates). Dr. Paul has been active trying to remove barriers to our agricultural exports (to Cuba, eg) and to eliminate subsidies to our trade competitors.

In addition, I suspect Midwesterns are generally predisposed towards a non-interventionist foriegn policy. Please follow local news and polls for more ideas. In addition, scout out for local activists and groups, letters to the editor, et al. for more allies: homeschoolers, gun owners, and others.

Ron Paul is pro-life personally, but politically, Ron Paul believes that each state should decide their own policies, no real Libertarian declares themselves as pro-life/choice. They may have a personal opinion, but generally, they believe it is not up to the government to decide, a non-government issue.