PDA

View Full Version : Effective Strategy for Converting Voters

niall
01-08-2008, 01:58 AM
Key lessons learned from canvassing around NH today:

1) We did the traditional form of canvassing (door-to-door, likely supporters, making sure people vote tomorrow who support RP). It was pretty effective, and from 9-4:30, we left a lot of door hangers and had conversations with about 30 people (it was a work day), and about 15 of them were likely to vote for Ron after our discussions.

2) After having a quick bite to eat, we discovered something MUCH better. We took 2 people, one had a medium sized RP sign, and the other had some RP schwag. We just "hung out" outside supermarkets, Barnes & Nobles, etc., and were engaging people almost every minute in really cool conversations about RP. We converted at least 5 totally apathetic independents into RP voters within a couple of hours, and made positive impressions on many others as well. One Kucinich supporter (wearing a Kucinich t-shirt) started talking to us cordially about RP and we turned him into a fan in about 15 minutes...he's going to HQ with us tomorrow for RP!

Suffice it to say it was fun, invigorating, and very effective at getting support and reminding people to vote for RP. It was definitely the most effective thing we've tried so far. Here were the very important lessons learned:

1) Only have 2 people at one location. One with a sign, one with stuff to hand out to people who express interest. Anything more is intimidating.

2) Do not block the doorway, or their path. Do not try to hand things to passers by. Again, too initimidating. Just hang out, and relax -- we called it "chillin' for liberty." :)

3) Make jokes with people as they come in and out of the stores. It's a great way to get people smiling, politely interrupt them, and begin a conversation in a very non-threatening way. One example we used that got laughs and started conversations with people that were previously avoiding eye contact: "Ron Paul wants to make your groceries lighter..."

4) If you're from out of town, let them know that. Our classic line was, "I came all the way from Austin, TX just to show you this sign." Always got a smile, and started a conversation. They figure if this guy came 1500 miles to show me a sign, the least I can do is listen to what he has to say.

5) Don't shove literature in their hands. Get a conversation going, and use it at the right time. If they express interest, offer them a slim jim. If they say they've never seen him speak, offer a DVD.

6) If you get asked to leave or move to a new location, move on (or to a public area).

7) Generally, just be really relaxed, engaged and helpful. "Chillin' for liberty" was a great mantra for us.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any new suggestions!

greves
01-08-2008, 02:09 AM
Exactly what I did all last week in Santa Monica. This is especially effective if your town has an area like Third Street in Santa Monica - people only, no cars, lots of shops, and lots of people walking around shopping.

niall
01-12-2008, 10:56 PM
bump for canvassers in other states

Spirit of '76
01-12-2008, 11:31 PM
Great advice. Sounds like you had a good time and did some great work.

Chillin' for Liberty...

Thanks. :)

niall
01-12-2008, 11:35 PM
Thanks. We did indeed have a great time, it was 10x more fun and effective than traditional canvassing (although, I recognize that's also important).

Spirit of '76
01-12-2008, 11:57 PM
Hey, do whatever works! :)