PDA

View Full Version : We need a pro-liberty governor

Paul4Prez
01-08-2008, 12:11 AM
Whether Ron Paul wins or not, we don't seem to have a lot of up-and-coming pro-liberty president-worthy candidates in the pipeline.

Congressmen generally have a hard time being taken seriously (see Tancredo, Kucinich, and Hunter), and even Senators rarely win the election (see Kerry, Dole, etc.) Governor is where it's at, because it proves the candidate has some executive ability.

Former governors with some pro-liberty credentials are Gary Johnson from New Mexico and Craig Benson from New Hampshire. The LP has tried to recruit Johnson for a presidential bid in the past, to no avail. Maybe one of them would step up next time now that they've seen how much grassroots support there might be.

We need to work on getting more pro-liberty governors elected around the nation. What are the best qualifications? A successful business leader who is well known in the state would have an advantage, or maybe a prominent state legislator or big city mayor.

Tom McClintock in California ran for governor in the Gray Davis recall election, and did fairly well. He ran again for Lt. Gov. last time, but didn't win. Unfortunately he is backing Fred Thompson for president, but we might forgive him if he switches to Ron Paul after Fred drops out....

Any other possibilities?

RockHoward
01-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Governor Sanford in South Carolina is the best by far. Some also suggest Governor Palin of Alaska. I am not aware of any others that are potential torch bearers.

bj72
01-31-2008, 05:01 AM
I know nothing of his voting record or where he stands on the issues...but Montana's Governer Brian Schweitzer has taken up the fight on Real ID. He said not only "no" to it, but "Hell No!" in one article I read. He's a Democrat (I'm a very conservative Republican), so not sure where he lies on social issues. However, the fact he's against Real ID when many aren't, I think he deserves a look.

Anyone know anything about him?

Truth Warrior
01-31-2008, 05:14 AM
"pro-liberty governor", by definition, isn't that obviously oxymoronic? :D

FireofLiberty
01-31-2008, 05:16 AM
I know nothing of his voting record or where he stands on the issues...but Montana's Governer Brian Schweitzer has taken up the fight on Real ID. He said not only "no" to it, but "Hell No!" in one article I read. He's a Democrat (I'm a very conservative Republican), so not sure where he lies on social issues. However, the fact he's against Real ID when many aren't, I think he deserves a look.

Anyone know anything about him?

Schweitzer is a good guy. I've always liked him and really respect him so much now that he's taken up the fight on the REAL ID.

He's also against victim disarmament (gun control).

His main drawbacks are his economic views (he's big into government involvement in industries, especially subsidies) and support of government social programs (although not anywhere near to the extent of most Dems).