PDA

View Full Version : What we are witnessing right now is the END OF OLD MEDIA

RonRules
01-07-2008, 11:38 PM
There is no need to elaborate on this.

"The media is the message" Marshall McLuhan

Instead I say, "The media format is irrelevant. The message will find it's conduit"

spacebetween
01-07-2008, 11:39 PM
I was just talking about this.

I agree that we are witnessing the slow demise of old media. With writer's strikes, lagging ratings, divisive news stations *cough*, something's changing.

RevolutionSD
01-07-2008, 11:40 PM
I was just talking about this too!

I watched the Leno segment online on that link someone posted!

EPIC!

Richandler
01-07-2008, 11:47 PM
This isn't true. I'm sorry but from the looks of it at least 80% of the people here are still addicted the MSM on a daily basis. Until that changes the old media still is abundantly in control.

LivingFree
01-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Lets hope they don't put restrictions on the Internet like in China.

jj111
01-07-2008, 11:49 PM
This isn't true. I'm sorry but from the looks of it at least 80% of the people here are still addicted the MSM on a daily basis. Until that changes the old media still is abundantly in control.

Addiction to MSM is more dangerous than addiction to alcohol, tobacco, drugs, or sex.

newbitech
01-07-2008, 11:49 PM
the dye has been cast

pacelli
01-07-2008, 11:50 PM
We want a free market media

IChooseLiberty
01-07-2008, 11:50 PM
This is so true and I can verify firsthand. The baltimore sun is one of my company's customers and having been to all of their locations, their buildings are only half full. Less and Less people are buying newspapers so less and less people work there and they use less space.

Newspapers will die first. I think TV stations will transfer to the Net but will lose their influence due to the abundance of other sources.

spacebetween
01-07-2008, 11:51 PM

Sure, there's a generation "addicted" to the current MSM. That doesn't mean that things are not changing.

CountryRoads
01-07-2008, 11:52 PM
Lets hope they don't put restrictions on the Internet like in China.

If Ron Paul does well, this will be coming.

And on that day....we should mass produce Ron Paul masks and head to Washington D.C.

newbitech
01-07-2008, 11:55 PM
This is so true and I can verify firsthand. The baltimore sun is one of my company's customers and having been to all of their locations, their buildings are only half full. Less and Less people are buying newspapers so less and less people work there and they use less space.

Newspapers will die first. I think TV stations will transfer to the Net but will lose their influence due to the abundance of other sources.

not to mention the elimination of costly commercial advertising. The cost of goods should go down as manufacturers and companies reinvest their profits in gasp! :eek: making their products better rather than dumping it into the black hole of the old cluttered airwaves.

The best products will go viral and sales people will again discover the best form of advertising is word of mouth, or in the information age click of mouse!

adpierce
01-07-2008, 11:56 PM
you wish.

LivingFree
01-07-2008, 11:58 PM
If Ron Paul does well, this will be coming.

And on that day....we should mass produce Ron Paul masks and head to Washington D.C.

Excellent idea. What's going to blow up? Woops, is that a "terrorist" threat?

ecliptic
01-08-2008, 12:02 AM
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/3180/USMEDIA_OWNERSHIP.jpg

RonRules
01-08-2008, 12:03 AM
Speaking of writer's strikes, have you watched Conan lately? It's the funniest show on TV !

RonRules
01-08-2008, 12:04 AM
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/3180/USMEDIA_OWNERSHIP.jpg

I don't see the Internet on the list.

jake
01-08-2008, 12:07 AM

Instead I say, "The media format is irrelevant. The message will find it's conduit"

that is a misquote - "The Medium is the Message"

'"The medium is the message" is a phrase coined by Marshall McLuhan meaning that the form of a medium is more important than any "meaning" or "content" that the medium conveys. The phrase was introduced in his most widely known book, Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man, published in 1964.[1] McLuhan proposes that media themselves, not the content they carry, should be the focus of study; he said that a medium affects the society in which it plays a role not by the content delivered over the medium, but by the characteristics of the medium itself.'

The internet is the message and the message is freedom of speech.

gjdavis60
01-08-2008, 12:23 AM
The change is underway. This movement would never have occurred without the "new media". What has happened with Ron Paul's campaign online is unprecedented. In addition to the written word, just think about the audio and video production capabilities - previously prohibitively expensive and requiring years of technical training - that are now in the hands of the masses. Not to mention the "social networking" technologies that have only existed for a few years. As the technology evolves, people will find new ways to leverage it in all aspects of their lives, including politics. This trend will only continue.

I believe the most important aspect of this evolution of media is the removal of media organizations as information disseminators and filters. The new media bypasses them and breaks the monopoly they have held on information. It allows information to flow directly from person to person, as in this forum. This represents a fundamental paradigm shift on par with the printing press, imo.

Stay tuned. It's going to get even more interesting.

Midnight77
01-08-2008, 12:47 AM

Um, unfortunately yes there is a need to elaborate on this. Because if this statement was true, Ron Paul would be the undisputed Front Runner in the GOP right now. Not that 10% is anything to sneeze at, but if Old Media was dead, I think Ron would have finished much higher than 5th Place in Iowa.

JohnnyWrath
01-08-2008, 12:57 AM
Right now we are basically taking a lot of TV media and putting it online, but more and more original online material is being produced. The hugest step in my personal opinion, that will end the "old media" is getting televisions more intergrated with our PCs...basically being able to watch online material streaming from the PC to the TV..

Trouble with PCs is that they are PERSONAL computers, and an entire family can sit around and watch TV...at the moment, we basically isolate ourselves when we are online...one keyboard, and one person...

Anyway, my opinion is that TVs are going to have to stream online content instead of the cable companies sending what they want to our TVs. Did anything I said make sense? LOL, it made sense to me I guess...