PDA

View Full Version : Censoring a leader

Bradley in DC
07-19-2007, 09:58 PM
http://www.renewamerica.us/columns/takala/070717

Rudy Takala
July 17, 2007

With the decline of John McCain's campaign treasury comes the accentuation of a spectacle worth noting. McCain currently has $2 million available in his campaign bank account; that puts him in fourth place among Republicans after Ron Paul, who has $2.4 million.

A couple of months ago, Saul Anuzi, chair of the Michigan GOP, petitioned to have Ron Paul banned from future debates. The reason, to summarize, was because he was doing better in polls regarding debate performance than any of the "top three" candidates. "I think Congressman Ron Paul ... doesn't represent any of the Republican Party base" and is "getting in the way of the real debate of how to move our party" forward.

In a logical world, now that Paul is in the top three of everything except for media-controlled polls, Anuzi would petition to ban now-second-tier candidates like McCain, and pro-abortion candidates such as Mitt Romney and Rudy Giuliani, who are no longer contributing anything to the party. But for some reason, that isn't happening.

By every possible measure of grassroots support, Ron Paul is a top-tier candidate for the Republican nomination. After the money, nothing points to that more than the most recent straw poll out of New Hampshire, conducted by the Coalition for New Hampshire Taxpayers. Paul won with 65% of the vote. Giuliani came in second with 8%.

On the social networking site Facebook, members are able to express support for their favorite candidate. Currently, Barack Obama is first with 35,000 votes. Giuliani is second with 13,000. Hillary is third with 11,000, and Paul is fourth with just over 10,000. Thompson is fifth, Romney is sixth, and McCain comes in at a stunning 9th.

As of June 27th, more than 18,000 people subscribed for Ron Paul updates on the video site YouTube. Barack Obama was second with 8,500. McCain was ninth with 1,400.

In order to prevent a conservative from winning the Republican primary, the media is looking for more contenders they can ordain as "top-tier" and who can actually stay in the top eight for more than a week. Sean Hannity lent a helping hand to unannounced contender Fred Thompson a while back, described in a June 8th column of Robert Novak's. Thompson began to say something that seemed to hint he supported abortion:

"'I would not be and never have been for a law that says, on the state level, if I were [a senator] voting on this... that, if they chose to criminalize a young woman, and — .' Co-host Sean Hannity then interrupted: 'So, states rights for you?' Thompson replied: 'Essentially, federalism. It's in the Constitution.'"

The month before, a caller to Rush Limbaugh asked him to support Ron Paul. In the midst of talking about how it wouldn't be ethical for him to influence the primary process because he alone could determine the outcome, he said Paul didn't have "a snowball's chance" and said his views on foreign policy were "not realistic."

To someone who'd likely say we should only support "electable" candidates, and who defines electable as being whomever he happens to support, it's another way of endorsing the "anybody but Paul" candidate.

If Paul received a quarter of the media support the other candidates received, he'd be equal to Barack Obama. That a member of the U.S. House could hold third place in a presidential race is unprecedented in modern times. Even with the wrath of Saul Anuzi and every Republican media pundit in the country coming down upon him, he still wins every poll regarding debate performance. His popularity among those who see and hear him persists, even as every powerbroker in the party and in the media opposes him.

Given his level of support, I like Pat Buchanan's suggestion. "By all means, throw out of the debate the only man who was right from the beginning on Iraq." The effort to do so will betray what insufferable, depraved, self-righteous, power-mad, psychosis-stricken morons are leading our party.

A friend of mine who works for a Congressional representative has been muttering frequently as of late, "Light shines brightest in the darkest places." By all means, let the darkness continue. That metaphor is the singular explanation for Ron Paul's meteoric ascendancy. He is the northern star personified.

Rudy Takala is 18 years old and is the chairman of Minnesota's Pine County Republicans. He was homeschooled for nine years, and is currently a junior at Hamline University.

angrydragon
07-19-2007, 10:05 PM
And he's only 18?

inibo
07-19-2007, 10:09 PM
I thought the same thing. Must be the home-schooling

DeadheadForPaul
07-19-2007, 10:09 PM
This article (and the writer) show that the Ron Paul campaign is just the beginning of a Constitutional revolution which will continue long after Dr. Paul's bid for the Presidency

FreedomLover
07-19-2007, 10:29 PM
And home-schooled to boot.

Not a good combination.

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-19-2007, 11:23 PM
I just emailed him asking him to join our Meetup (and the John Adams Society, a debate society to which I belong). Perspicacious kid.

jonahtrainer
07-19-2007, 11:30 PM
And he's only 18?

I have read some of this kid's stuff before and I like him!

jonahtrainer
07-19-2007, 11:30 PM
And home-schooled to boot.

Not a good combination.

There are a lot of these coming up the ranks!

DAZ
07-19-2007, 11:42 PM
Must be the home-schooling

Apparently he wasn't held back by our current Every Child Left Behind government schooling programs. Not only can he write, he's a JUNIOR in college at 18. Good for him. Good for us, too.

jonahtrainer
07-19-2007, 11:49 PM
Apparently he wasn't held back by our current Every Child Left Behind government schooling programs. Not only can he write, he's a JUNIOR in college at 18. Good for him. Good for us, too.

I thought everyone was a Junior in college at 18 ... I know I was and so was my sister!

IRO-bot
07-20-2007, 05:08 AM
I graduated highschool at 18. Most do. Juniors in college range mostly from 19-22 and more on the higher end of that. Rare to see 18 or 19 junior.

Slugg
07-20-2007, 05:14 AM
I thought everyone was a Junior in college at 18 ... I know I was and so was my sister!

You mean you didn't notice that everyone around you was older than you? At any point?

Well, I supposed you were studying. :D :D

NCGOPer_for_Paul
07-20-2007, 06:28 AM
Great article!

When I see things like this, I know there is hope for the future of my party.

BTW, I was a 19 year old junior in college.