PDA

View Full Version : So I just got an angry phone call...

malkusm
01-07-2008, 09:25 PM
...from one of the recipients of the letters that I wrote to South Carolina. She was very upset and demanded to know how I got her name and address. I told her that it was a grassroots letter-writing effort and that the letters were being sent to likely primary voters, and that the names and addresses were public domain and likely given out by her state GOP....anyway she was very upset regardless.

Then she told me that she couldn't vote for anyone who said we have no business being in Iraq...said that if we weren't fighting them there we'd be fighting them here or something ridiculous....I argued for a couple minutes to no avail.

Look at the bright side - at least I know the letters got there!

Abobo
01-07-2008, 09:27 PM
I didn't know sheep could talk.

driller80545
01-07-2008, 09:29 PM
I hear that same arguement about Iraq all the time. It is such a dumb arguement. For me, it just shows how deeply rooted Bush's war propoganda has taken root. Nothing to do but keep punching at them and hope that some of them will come to their senses before it is too late

malkusm
Also there was this gem: "He's too old to run for President anyway, what's he like 70?"

I said, "Well I mean, McCain is 71."

Her response: "Yeah well I don't like him either!"

Thomas Paine
...from one of the recipients of the letters that I wrote to South Carolina. She was very upset and demanded to know how I got her name and address. I told her that it was a grassroots letter-writing effort and that the letters were being sent to likely primary voters, and that the names and addresses were public domain and likely given out by her state GOP....anyway she was very upset regardless.

Then she told me that she couldn't vote for anyone who said we have no business being in Iraq...said that if we weren't fighting them there we'd be fighting them here or something ridiculous....I argued for a couple minutes to no avail.

You should have asked her when she was planning on suiting up and shipping out to the Emerald City in Baghdad.

idrake
01-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Wow, that actually sounds like fun. I think I'll start writing letters.

AFTFNJ
01-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Years of brainwashing by the idiot box is hard to erase. Especially for people that take the idiot box as gospel.

Lyn
01-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Don't worry about it. Just move on. Some of these letters will get to people and make a difference. That's what matters.

malkusm
01-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Hahaha I told my dad that some angry elderly lady from South Carolina called.

Dad: "Matt I wouldn't put your phone number on the letters."

Me: "Why not? What's the worst that can happen?"

Dad: "Well...I guess it just did."

Haha I'll continue putting my phone number on the letters. She took the time to call and debate me on the issue - I mean, if she's not voting for Ron Paul, then at least maybe she knows there are people who are well-spoken on the other side of the argument.

DirectDemocracy
01-07-2008, 09:33 PM
at least she beleives in something

Mark Rushmore
01-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Post #17 has defeated this one.

Ron LOL
01-07-2008, 09:34 PM

Glad to know I'm not the only one who had this reaction. Good thread, OP :D

Seanmc30
01-07-2008, 09:35 PM

Its amazing to me how many people just literally parrot the presidents' imbecilic catch phrases.

DjLoTi
01-07-2008, 09:36 PM
When people mention his age, I always say -

"He's a medical doctor of over 40 years. My grandmother is 79 and she's been smoking a pack a day for over 60 years, and she's still going strong."

Thomas Paine
01-07-2008, 09:36 PM
at least she beleives in something

I agree, even if I disagree with her.

malkusm
01-07-2008, 09:37 PM

Do it! I've hand-written over 30 letters now (15 to MI, the rest to SC), the way I figure it is, for every person like the one who called me tonight, there's someone who didn't know Ron Paul's stances on issues down there saying "Hmm...maybe I'll check this guy out" ;)

bbachtung
01-07-2008, 09:38 PM
You should have told her that you got her information through the Homeland Security Department as part of your involvement in the ongoing war of terror.

kutibah
I'm just glad they're reading the letters. Good to know my 110 letters aren't being wasted :P

Mark Rushmore
You should have told her that you got her information through the Homeland Security Department as part of your involvement in the ongoing war of terror.

Nice.

LivingFree
01-07-2008, 09:39 PM

They can't talk, they're just speaker boxes.

V4Vendetta
01-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Funny..... but a little word of advice.... Don't put your phone number or return address down.

malkusm
01-07-2008, 09:40 PM

Hahahahaha!!! WOW if I had only thought of that.

"Yeah, you know, the Patriot Act? They were suspicious and told me to send a Ron Paul letter, so they would know if you're a traitor."

malkusm
01-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Funny..... but a little word of advice.... Don't put your phone number or return address down.

I don't really see the downfalls of this, again, the worst they can do is give me hell. Sure, she could have been much more derogatory and demeaning, but I'll get over it.

Fields
01-07-2008, 09:44 PM

haha, that's a great response.

slantedview
01-07-2008, 09:46 PM
at least you tried. thanks for your letter writing effort.

saahmed
How does she think they are going to get here to fight on our land? Are they all going to take commercial airlines?

Mental Dribble

haha

ronpaulitician
said that if we weren't fighting them there we'd be fighting them here or something ridiculous
Right, because the terrorists who pulled off 9/11 are too stupid to realize that they can easily slip into our country because of our lack of security, and kill thousands of defenseless civilians, preferring to instead risk fighting the one force they can't defeat: our military. Sigh. I can't believe I once believed that.

AdoubleR
01-07-2008, 09:47 PM

I'm surprised that someone that retarded can read! LOL...

voytechs
01-07-2008, 09:48 PM

Or that "Fox News keeps track of everyone who watches their shows, through the cable and they give the info out to GOP so that candidates can call her." Then follow up, "Have you been watching Fox News Channel by any chance?"

freelance
01-07-2008, 09:49 PM

LOL!

lx43
01-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Yeah theres a lot of idiots in SC like this. Wait a second I'm in SC but I'm a ron paul supporter so does that make me an idiot??? lol

simranjits
01-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Also there was this gem: "He's too old to run for President anyway, what's he like 70?"

I said, "Well I mean, McCain is 71."

Her response: "Yeah well I don't like him either!"

wasn't reagan 70 also?

RPatTheBeach
01-07-2008, 09:51 PM
I've encountered quite a lot of that mentality here in S.C.

malkusm
01-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Yeah theres a lot of idiots in SC like this. Wait a second I'm in SC but I'm a ron paul supporter so does that make me an idiot??? lol

Haha, no not at all - just make sure you and everyone else you know gets to the polls!

I swear if Huckabee wins SC I'm not going to be able to eat for days.

prlgrl
01-07-2008, 09:53 PM

Good one :D

Sandy
01-07-2008, 09:56 PM
wasn't reagan 70 also?

Yes, left office at age 77. I was just going to bring that up. That lady is just looking for an excuse to cut RP down. Very shallow, too. I had someone say to me, when Kucinich was brought up while discussing politics, that they could never vote for someone that short. The mentality of the American voting public. Whoa is me.

moostraks
01-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Or that "Fox News keeps track of everyone who watches their shows, through the cable and they give the info out to GOP so that candidates can call her." Then follow up, "Have you been watching Fox News Channel by any chance?"

ROFL!!!!:D

inibo
01-07-2008, 09:58 PM

Well, no. The letters I sent had my home address and email address because I invited them to get in touch with me if they had any questions. No one has contacted me, but if they do I will happily communicate with them.

Constitution Supporter
I swear if Huckabee wins SC I'm not going to be able to eat for days.
But Huckabee will. ;) J/K. I shouldn't be so rude.

Azprint
Use the argument of Soviet Union in Afghanistan, explain, that 9/11 was planned by Afghanistan, yet after Russians pulled out of Afghanistan they were not followed by angry terrorists and were not killed. Thus you have no ground to be worried about sweet revenge, sure they(Iraqis, terrorists etc.) will have their moment of defeating Superpower but it will not last for too long and humiliation will not really take place. So neocons need to calm the fuck down and put their pride somewhere distant for a while.

user
01-07-2008, 09:59 PM
wasn't reagan 70 also?
Yes, and this should be the immediate response to anyone who tries to bring up age as a negative.

malkusm
01-07-2008, 10:02 PM
wasn't reagan 70 also?

I will remember this now. This didn't immediately come to mind because Ronald Reagan left office when I was 18 months old.

Ron2Win
01-07-2008, 10:03 PM
I think she was angry because you woke her up to the truth. The first steps after denial is anger.

billv
01-07-2008, 10:04 PM

Ask her if she'd mind signing up then if she believed in it so much.

lx43
01-07-2008, 10:07 PM
it still doesn't bother me at all that she got a letter and I really don't care if she did get offended. Its good to make people think onces in awhile.

Nash
01-07-2008, 10:11 PM

I wouldn't bother arguing with these people. Just tell them you respect their opinion even though you disagree and thank them for reading your letter.

Thumper
01-07-2008, 10:13 PM
I can't believe that anyone finds it shocking that you "somehow" got their name and mailing address. Mailing lists are such a huge business. Unless you are totally off the grid your name is on somebodies list somewhere. Look at all the junk mail we all get that is totally unsolicited. The idea that someone would get all freaky about is...well...unbelievable to me.

michaelwise
01-07-2008, 10:15 PM
My response; we're going to be fighting their armies here? They don't have any armies or any way to get here.

Paulbot_9876
01-07-2008, 10:18 PM
ask her if she has children or grandchildren under the age of 42 and tell them to join then if she thinks we have to stay there......that should clam them up......

therealjjj77
01-07-2008, 10:24 PM

Ask her if when the Chinese are done buying us out, there will be anything left to fight for. Or ask her if we can afford spending over a trillion dollars a year to hunt a few thugs in some caves. Ask her if she'd rather have that then her social security. Ask her if she wants her children and grand children inheriting all this debt from the war. Ask her if she is a Christian. If so, would she rather send a soldier with a gun or a missionary with a Bible? If she kept her money she could choose the later.

Sorry, this type of brain washed mentality just ticks me off. Ask her what it means for the Republican party when Obama had more people show up for the Iowa caucus then all the Republican candidates combined. Ask her if the Republicans can win this year with a pro-war candidate when 70% of the population is against the war.

Corydoras
01-08-2008, 01:10 AM
The idea that someone would get all freaky about is...well...unbelievable to me.

I have had a stalker for years and years now, and I really had to think hard about registering to vote.

A lot of people don't realize that voter lists are public record.